Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mavic Resource Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mavic Resource Thread

Old 10-28-14, 07:27 PM
  #1  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mavic Resource Thread

I'd like to start this thread as a resource for Mavic reference material such as owner gallery photos, catalog/manual scans, advertising, etc.

To start things off I've attached a magazine ad from 1992...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-10-28 0002_3.jpg (103.2 KB, 130 views)
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 10-28-14, 08:23 PM
  #2  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-10-28 0068.jpg (104.3 KB, 109 views)
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 10-28-14, 10:19 PM
  #3  
jyl
Senior Member
 
jyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,643

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 30 Posts
Check out tearsforgears blog too. https://www.tearsforgears.com/

Last edited by jyl; 10-29-14 at 11:54 AM.
jyl is offline  
Old 10-29-14, 03:40 AM
  #4  
brandon98
Senior Member
 
brandon98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbia County, Georgia
Posts: 286

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Find definitive answers as to the following endless interwebz speculations:

-cog spacing and colors of spacers on the 571 and 571/2 cassette hubs. What colors mean what? Also, cog sources.

-840 derailleur and index shifter compatibility: is it Shimano, Mavic proprietary or old Dura-Ace proprietary? What modern Brifters can be used reliably?

-Bottom bracket tapers and symmetries for the 631 crankset: ISO and what length? Taper. Yes the 610 bottom bracket is nice, but not a lot of folks want to cut and chamfer a functional bottom bracket shell
brandon98 is offline  
Old 10-29-14, 04:53 AM
  #5  
CastleDerosa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Eastern - Canada - Atl Province
Posts: 67

Bikes: DeRosa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also interested in this info since i too have a group i'm trying to id and any relation to mavic is getting my attention !
CastleDerosa is offline  
Old 10-29-14, 10:49 AM
  #6  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,783
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 700 Posts
Robert Broderick (the King of Katalog scans) has 7 catalogs for viewing on his Velo-Pages site
MAVIC
and our beloved VeloBase also cross-references to 4 of Robert's scans, the only one you are likely to want is his latest from '84-'85, but the earlier ones are interesting to us amateur historians.
I personally have a catalog from the late '80s (not sure of exact date cause there's not copyright info on it) that I have never got around to scanning, but maybe I can be influenced...

I can tell you it does NOT answer most of the questions that Brandon98 poses, but the 610 BB came with spindle lengths of 112 (track), 114 and 116 (double and "double long"), 119 and 123 (triple and "triple long"), the ATB BB 616 has 3 lengths: 124, 128 and 134. My guess is that the taper is ISO for all, can't confirm if the spindles are all symmetrical, but the mechanical drawing seems to hint that they are not.
unworthy1 is online now  
Old 10-29-14, 07:10 PM
  #7  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brandon98
Find definitive answers as to the following endless interwebz speculations:

-cog spacing and colors of spacers on the 571 and 571/2 cassette hubs. What colors mean what? Also, cog sources.

-840 derailleur and index shifter compatibility: is it Shimano, Mavic proprietary or old Dura-Ace proprietary? What modern Brifters can be used reliably?

-Bottom bracket tapers and symmetries for the 631 crankset: ISO and what length? Taper. Yes the 610 bottom bracket is nice, but not a lot of folks want to cut and chamfer a functional bottom bracket shell
I have used the later Mavic indexed DT shifters on campy and shimano 8spd cassettes and RD's that have cable tension adjusting barrels without any issues.
Also an older SSC crank on campy NR/SR BB spindles.
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 10-29-14, 07:11 PM
  #8  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Robert Broderick (the King of Katalog scans) has 7 catalogs for viewing on his Velo-Pages site
MAVIC
and our beloved VeloBase also cross-references to 4 of Robert's scans, the only one you are likely to want is his latest from '84-'85, but the earlier ones are interesting to us amateur historians.
I personally have a catalog from the late '80s (not sure of exact date cause there's not copyright info on it) that I have never got around to scanning, but maybe I can be influenced...

I can tell you it does NOT answer most of the questions that Brandon98 poses, but the 610 BB came with spindle lengths of 112 (track), 114 and 116 (double and "double long"), 119 and 123 (triple and "triple long"), the ATB BB 616 has 3 lengths: 124, 128 and 134. My guess is that the taper is ISO for all, can't confirm if the spindles are all symmetrical, but the mechanical drawing seems to hint that they are not.
Thank You!!!
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 10-29-14, 07:13 PM
  #9  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post


Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-10-29 0004.jpg (99.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-10-29 0002.jpg (100.8 KB, 108 views)
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 10-29-14, 07:50 PM
  #10  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,783
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 700 Posts
sweet-sweet-sweet!
unworthy1 is online now  
Old 10-30-14, 10:50 AM
  #11  
vqstaphbeard
Senior Member
 
vqstaphbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 313

Bikes: AR Cycles Randonneuse, Raleigh Competition, VeloOrange Piolet Prototype, LeJeune Townie, Motobecane Campeur, AR Cycles roadie, Rickert track, Cannondale SM 500, '55 Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 840 derailleurs and siblings have Dura-Ace 7400 geometry. There is a guide on the derailleur that can be orientated in two ways. One is for 6 speed or essentially friction and the other is for indexed. Shimano 7400 downtube shifters and brifters will work with the 84x series.

Here is a setup I have with 7400 brifters, Mavic 841 rear derailleur, and 571/2 rear hub:
vqstaphbeard is offline  
Old 10-30-14, 04:14 PM
  #12  
gaucho777 
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 7,390

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 512 Posts
^That's a great looking bike! I'm surprised the RD can handle the chain wrap for what looks to be a pretty wide gear range.

@unworthy1: Thanks for the link!

I'm a sucker for vintage Mavic from the mid-80s and before.
gaucho777 is offline  
Old 10-30-14, 05:03 PM
  #13  
Chombi
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,138

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
The Mavic groups are quite interesting being that about half of their components were actually made by other manufacturers, re-branded for Mavic.
Other than the "Erector" style and electronic RDs and their FDs, their "Starfish" cranksets, Quill Pedals, Some of their their headsets (I think some of them could been made by Stronglight) and maybe their stems, handlebars and seatposts, the other components can be tracked to other companies, like brakesets from Modolo and DiaCompe, pedals from Look, Retrofriction shifters from Simplex..... There also had been rumors that their cranksets (The model 630 fluted, non-"starfish" design) might have come from Sugino(?). I've also heard that their 840 series indexed RD's and shifters might have come from Sachs.
I think that's why the Mavic groups don't seem to attract as many fans as "pure' group/gruppos do, which were designed together by one company. Although individually, like the derailleur sets and cranksets, in mint/NOS condition, tend to pull in significant money when they sell at eBay.
Despite the "mongrel" groups, Mavic seemed to have chosen pretty good components to complete their groups through the years. I think, the only glaring bad choice was their acceptance of sintered Modolo brake pads on their Modolo sourced brake calipers.....
Chombi is offline  
Likes For Chombi:
Old 10-30-14, 06:35 PM
  #14  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-10-30 0002.jpg (104.5 KB, 86 views)
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 10-30-14, 08:28 PM
  #15  
jyl
Senior Member
 
jyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,643

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 30 Posts
The thing I really love about Mavic is that they never had a good, better, best model line. Not like Campagnolo with Record, Chorus, Victory, etc or Shimano with Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105 etc. In any given era, for a particular application, Mavic only made one crank, one subset, one deraiileur.

I mean, they made different versions of the 840 RD for road, mountain, etc, and different versions of the crankset for road, track, triple. But there was not a top-level road component and an entry-level road component. There was just one level of Mavic, and it was the best, the same as what the pros rode in the Tour., and the stuff was crazy expensive back in the day .

There was a brief shining period in the 1980s when Mavic was atop the road race world,. Champions rode on Mavic groups. LeMond won half his TdFs and WCs on Mavic (and the other half on Campagnolo). Then Mavic reached for the moon, with a daring, crazy, glorious, disastrous move to electronic shifting, 20 years before its time. That was the beginning of the end, and in a few years Mavic abandoned components altogether and retreated to rims and wheelsets.

I like to imagine a parallel universe, in which Mavic stayed at the top of the heap and, on French frames driven by French legs, continued to win TdFs through the 1990s and 2000s and today. Which is why one of my tout Mavic bikes is going to be fitted with Campagnolo brifters modified with the yellow Mavic logo. A bit of revisionist fantasy trompe d'ceil.
jyl is offline  
Likes For jyl:
Old 10-31-14, 08:00 AM
  #16  
vqstaphbeard
Senior Member
 
vqstaphbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 313

Bikes: AR Cycles Randonneuse, Raleigh Competition, VeloOrange Piolet Prototype, LeJeune Townie, Motobecane Campeur, AR Cycles roadie, Rickert track, Cannondale SM 500, '55 Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gaucho777
^That's a great looking bike! I'm surprised the RD can handle the chain wrap for what looks to be a pretty wide gear range.

@unworthy1: Thanks for the link!

I'm a sucker for vintage Mavic from the mid-80s and before.
Thanks! The RD is a mid cage (841) so it does pretty well. I'm never in small-small anyway, so I've never had an issue.
vqstaphbeard is offline  
Old 10-31-14, 09:17 AM
  #17  
Chombi
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,138

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
One thing I really like with the Mavic 801/851 series RD is the adjustable height jockey wheels/ pulley cage. It makes it possible for the owner to adjust the height if the pulleys so you can get them to track close to the FW cogs. Which helps the RD shift much quicker and more precisely than most other straight parallelogram RDs....
Chombi is offline  
Old 10-31-14, 09:24 PM
  #18  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some hands-on feedback from Dave Kirk of Mektronic shift system...

LOOK KG-196 Mektronic - The Paceline Forum
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 10-31-14, 09:27 PM
  #19  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chombi
One thing I really like with the Mavic 801/851 series RD is the adjustable height jockey wheels/ pulley cage. It makes it possible for the owner to adjust the height if the pulleys so you can get them to track close to the FW cogs. Which helps the RD shift much quicker and more precisely than most other straight parallelogram RDs....
Absolutely, I was able to use a 14-28 freewheel by simply lower pulley cage position.
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 11-01-14, 08:46 AM
  #20  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chombi
The Mavic groups are quite interesting being that about half of their components were actually made by other manufacturers, re-branded for Mavic.
Other than the "Erector" style and electronic RDs and their FDs, their "Starfish" cranksets, Quill Pedals, Some of their their headsets (I think some of them could been made by Stronglight) and maybe their stems, handlebars and seatposts, the other components can be tracked to other companies, like brakesets from Modolo and DiaCompe, pedals from Look, Retrofriction shifters from Simplex..... There also had been rumors that their cranksets (The model 630 fluted, non-"starfish" design) might have come from Sugino(?). I've also heard that their 840 series indexed RD's and shifters might have come from Sachs.
I think that's why the Mavic groups don't seem to attract as many fans as "pure' group/gruppos do, which were designed together by one company. Although individually, like the derailleur sets and cranksets, in mint/NOS condition, tend to pull in significant money when they sell at eBay.
Despite the "mongrel" groups, Mavic seemed to have chosen pretty good components to complete their groups through the years. I think, the only glaring bad choice was their acceptance of sintered Modolo brake pads on their Modolo sourced brake calipers.....
There seems to have been a fair amount of collaboration as well which may have something to do with all the cross-branding. SACHS continued that approach into the '90s merging and working with various companies including Campagnolo. Unfortunately, that type of relationship can also create some conflict of interest which may have contributed to both Mavic and SACHS' relatively brief presence in the component end of the industry.
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 11-01-14, 10:02 AM
  #21  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,783
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 700 Posts
OK, I've encouraged myself to scan this catalog (and it's time-consuming so I know why I was dragging my feet), here's my favorite page, these are the classic 500 series hubs, but the "track" variation "520":

I'm going to try to post the whole thing to VeloBase, but would like to be able to name it with the correct date, there's no date on it that I can find, but probably many clues to people who know more about Mavic than me: such as when certain "ATB" units were launched...

If you can ID this catalog's date let me know. Here's another page that might help (ATB long-cage RD), but look for it (complete) on VeloBase, some day soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mavic_Catalog_p12.jpg (91.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg
Mavic_Catalog_p21.jpg (93.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by unworthy1; 11-01-14 at 10:39 AM.
unworthy1 is online now  
Old 11-01-14, 10:40 AM
  #22  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Can you post cover? I'm going to say '89/'90 due to graphic of "M" in upper right corner of photo. Cool hubset!
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 11-01-14, 10:48 AM
  #23  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Product Review Article











Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-11-1 0002.jpg (100.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-11-1 0004.jpg (99.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-11-1 0006.jpg (100.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-11-1 0008.jpg (113.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-11-1 0010.jpg (102.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg
Scan 2014-11-1 0012.jpg (102.7 KB, 81 views)
Reynolds 753 is offline  
Old 11-01-14, 10:52 AM
  #24  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,783
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 700 Posts
Here's the front cover, back cover and inside-back-cover but as I say nothing date-wise that I can find anywhere...might help if I better understood French! Almost thought the address on the back said "1990" but no...it's an address 01990
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mavic_Catalog_Fcover.jpg (81.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
Mavic_Catalog_p23.jpg (84.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
Mavic_Catalog_BkCover.jpg (71.3 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by unworthy1; 11-01-14 at 10:56 AM.
unworthy1 is online now  
Old 11-01-14, 11:58 AM
  #25  
Reynolds 753
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Reynolds 753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Miguel Indurain won the Giro in '92 AND '93 so I'd say it's from one of those following years. My money's on '93.
Reynolds 753 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.