Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

650B intrigues me!!! Questions...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

650B intrigues me!!! Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 11:16 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
The ones I am riding were made by Hands on Wheels from Rivendell.
Yeow! the wheel set that I bought locally was built by Hands on Wheels (built for a biker who never used them) really really nice wheels.
Old 08-27-11, 12:42 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I bought Synergy rims for my first 650B conversion ('73 World Voyageur). I went with the OC in the rear. I've yet to build the rear wheel so I certainly can't provide any feedback yet.

Originally Posted by Sigurdd50
Why would you convert a bike to 650B and use 32mm tires? I wouldn't look to that conversion as an example to follow, OP.
Old 08-27-11, 12:52 PM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Why would you convert a bike to 650B and use 32mm tires? I wouldn't look to that conversion as an example to follow, OP.
What the colonel said. Maxy Fasty's are 32 MM but... to be honest, they are just as hard and uncomfortable as typical 700 wheels.
Do the measurements and see what kinda width you have in the fork and seat stays for wide tires. Go for 38MM wide at least to get the effect.
Something with PSI between 50-70 (the lower the better!)
Old 08-27-11, 01:00 PM
redcaymatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just a quick note about 650B conversion. if you have a bike with canti mounts you can use paul's Moto- b.m.x. brakes and have enough vertical adjustment to run (if your frame is wide enough) 26", 650B, 700C & even 29" wheels. To the O.P. before doing anything radical to a schwinn paramount I would try the grand bois cypres 32mm tire. It will probably give you the ride you desire without screwing up your bikes geometry.

Last edited by redcaymatt; 08-27-11 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-27-11, 01:09 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by redcaymatt
Just a quick not about 650B conversion. if you have a bike with canti mounts you can use paul's Moto- b.m.x. brakes and have enough vertical adjustment to run (if your frame is wide enough) 26", 650B, 700C & even 29" wheels. to the O.P. before doing anything radical to a schwinn paramount I would try the grand bois cypres 32mm tire. It will probably give you the ride you desire without screwing up your bikes geometry.
If you're going from a 700c x 23mm tire to a 650b x 38mm tires my understanding is that the BB drop will not be affected by much. But with a 650b x 32mm you will be lowering it. Something to consider.

You're suggesting Paul Moto BMX brakes will work to convert a cantilever equipped bike from 700c or 27" to 650b? I'm not seeing how that's possible. 26" to 650b, yes.
Old 08-27-11, 01:26 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Yeah, your bike needs to have the smaller wheel size to begin with to use the Paul Motos for converting. Think originally 650b converting to 700 or 26" to 650 or 700. I originally though about using those brakes with my Sam Hillborne so I could run some 700 wheels (thought it would be faster???) but since I have been running the 650b now for a bit, I see no real need to do it. The 650s are working out great, plus there are now really good tires in the marketplace for the size. Plus, it turns out I am slow at any wheel size.
Old 08-27-11, 01:30 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by RJM
Plus, it turns out I am slow at any wheel size.
Amen.
Old 08-27-11, 03:51 PM
THEJAPINO
Noob

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm hoping to try out those Soma B lines. My friend has Paselas on his ride ind they feel great! I've read that the B lines are 650b Paselas made for Soma by Panaracer.
Old 08-29-11, 11:24 PM
THEJAPINO
Noob

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, I just measured the spacing between the chainstays on the frame. I measured using the way Mudboy suggested and with the axle in the middle of the dropouts, I measured 40mm. I think if I pull the axle farther back in the dropout, I might get away with using a tire with an actual width of around 35-36mm. I need to look for my calipers to get the actual measurement though.

I know of someone sitting on a pair of Maxy Fasty's if I really can't get the clearance. We'll see...
Old 08-30-11, 07:36 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
though they are not the people's first choice, Col de la Vie tires - tho listed as 38's, usually measure out closer to 36. It's always smart to allow yourself some room to grow.
Perhaps the Paramount is not the best choice for 650Bs?

Last edited by Sigurdd50; 08-30-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 08:01 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
Related question: i have a 1975 Paramount frame & fork that is 55.5cm in the seat tube. I normally ride 53cm bikes, so it's too big for me. However, if I put 650B wheels on it, how much would it drop the overall stand-over?
Old 08-30-11, 08:04 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by Catnap
Related question: i have a 1975 Paramount frame & fork that is 55.5cm in the seat tube. I normally ride 53cm bikes, so it's too big for me. However, if I put 650B wheels on it, how much would it drop the overall stand-over?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when you do such a conversion you hope for as little change to the overall stand over as possible. A lower stand over height would mean a lower BB and pedal strike.
Old 08-30-11, 08:21 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when you do such a conversion you hope for as little change to the overall stand over as possible. A lower stand over height would mean a lower BB and pedal strike.
agreed, but i think there is some flexibility in BB drop between what's acceptable and what could potentially cause pedal strike. for example, the BB height on my Merckx 7-11 is much lower than on my Bridgestone RB-1.
Old 08-30-11, 08:28 AM
THEJAPINO
Noob

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigurdd50
though they are not the people's first choice, Col de la Viea - tho listed as 38's, usually measure out closer to 36. It's always smart to allow yourself some room to grow.
Perhaps the Paramount is not the best choice for 650Bs?
Yeah, you may be right. I do like a challenge though (stubborn).

It's good to know the Col de la Viea measures out to that. I've read that the Soma B Line measures the same 36 on a Synergy rim. What rim was the Col de la Viea mounted on? I also heard there is a Grand Bois Ourson that is advertised as 36. Any idea what those Pari Motos actually measure out to? If I can get a great deal on those local Maxy Fasties , I'll give them a try first.

Last edited by THEJAPINO; 08-30-11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 09:10 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by THEJAPINO
I'm hoping to try out those Soma B lines. My friend has Paselas on his ride ind they feel great! I've read that the B lines are 650b Paselas made for Soma by Panaracer.
I really like those tires. I have them on Byron, my 650B mixte, and they are surprisingly fast and seem tough as nails. They are the Pasela TG with a beefed up sidewall. Nominally they are 38-584. but measure a tad narrower.

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 08-30-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 10:15 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Lowering the stand over is fine, and sometimes desirable on a really large frame, but you just want to make sure that the BB was higher than average before conversion.

Originally Posted by Catnap
agreed, but i think there is some flexibility in BB drop between what's acceptable and what could potentially cause pedal strike. for example, the BB height on my Merckx 7-11 is much lower than on my Bridgestone RB-1.
Right. What it comes down to in the end is that, after conversion, you don't want a BB height lower than about 260mm, regardless what height it was before conversion. Anything less than that and pedal strike becomes much more likely. Most bikes are designed to have between 260-290mm of BB height, so there's obviously a range. Also, if you're in that low end, around 260mm, you may want to have narrow pedals or a crankset with a low Q factor to help minimize pedal strike.
Old 08-30-11, 11:25 AM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
EDIT: Synergy OC. What is the general opinion on these? They sound good in theory but I've read about them cracking near the eyelets? Is that just a bad rumor spread by someone's misuse or is there any truth to that? I'm not a Clyde but I'm no lightweight neither.
I built my own 650b wheels using the Synergy... with the Synergy OC on the rear with a Shimano XT hub.

I've had no problems at all with them, and they're on my Kogswell P/R that sees some fairly heavy loads. Typical work commute carries me + 25 or so pounds of laptop and stuff.

That said:
Offset eyelets make very little difference to the dish or spoke length on a wheel. Really just tenths of a mm... so if you're nervous about using OC rims, just use regular ones. I used the OC rim because I thought it looked coolio.
Old 08-30-11, 11:33 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a dandy little 650B Tire size spread sheet that some of the 650B folks put together with listed and actual dimensions of tires and the rims they were measured on.

If you don't see your tire on the list (it looks like it was recently updated), I'd join the 650B google Group and just posit your query with the tire and rim and you'll likely have an answer in a few hours.

Pedal Strike can be an issue. ON my town bike, I think I went down a little, and I do get a *bink* now and then when I am racing around curves... but I don't use this bike as a racer per. It's more of a comfort bike so I just adjust my style of riding accordingly. Fixed gear riders don't have this luxury... but it ain't fixed so that don't matter to me. Theoretically, if you go from a 23MM 700C tire/wheel combo to a 38MM + 650B tire/wheel combo, it should be about the same... but that isn't always the story.

When I first did this (convert some old steel to 650B) I was concerned (overly concerned?) with sticking to details and procedures and criteria and requirements and measurements... in the end, I just made stuff work. I might have to trade one set of tires (that were too fat) for another. Or mess around with different spindles until I got the crank to stick out far enough and give me a good chain line. Or MacGyver the fenders to work. Hey, that's the fun part of building a bike!

NOw I have to get back to pulling some rusty spokes off my old 650B winter wheels and get ready to re-spoke them with new... Have I ever built a wheel? No. Should be fun!
Old 08-30-11, 12:46 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys, I'll have to measure between the stays to really tell what tire I can use. Looks like I might have to look for different fenders unless I can somehow widen these up a bit...
Honjos (and all fenders, afaik) are measured to the outsides. No way will a 35 Honjo work for a 38 mm tire. Don't even try. You need at least 45 mm Honjos (or preferably wider, really) to cover 38s....
Old 03-28-13, 07:32 AM
davidbea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What kind of hammered fenders are those over the Soma 38mm tires?
I'm looking to run hammered fenders over 38mm Lierre or 42mm Hetres.
Thanks.
David
Old 03-28-13, 11:56 AM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbea
What kind of hammered fenders are those over the Soma 38mm tires?
I'm looking to run hammered fenders over 38mm Lierre or 42mm Hetres.
Thanks.
David

I am using 45mm 700C Velo-Orange hammered fenders over 650B 38mm Col de la Vie tires. The Col's measure 36mm on my Velocity Synergy rims.

Using those fenders works on my 650B conversion for two reasons (I think). First, the fenders sit a bit higher above the 650B tires than they would over 700C x 28mm tires, which provides some valuable clearance. Second, I used the Bicycle Quarterly method of flexing the fenders slightly wider to reduce their radius towards the proper 650B radius. When I converted my bike, I already had the 700C fenders on hand so I figured I would try to make them fit before buying another set, and it did work out. Here's a pic:

Old 03-28-13, 07:22 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
^^ Very sharp Bianchi conversion there. Well done.
Old 03-28-13, 08:07 PM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
^^ Very sharp Bianchi conversion there. Well done.
Thanks! I found the thread about your 650B Shogun conversion when I was working on the Bianchi. The Shogun is really fantastic! Also, your photos and descriptions were helpful when I was figuring out how to mount my fenders.

Davidbea, check out Southpawboston's flickr page for some ideas.
Old 03-28-13, 08:35 PM
E_merlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rowebr
Second, I used the Bicycle Quarterly method of flexing the fenders slightly wider to reduce their radius towards the proper 650B radius.
That is a great looking bike! I am unfamiliar with the "method" can you elaborate and provide additional information?

thanks
Old 03-29-13, 09:20 AM
rowebr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by E_merlin
That is a great looking bike! I am unfamiliar with the "method" can you elaborate and provide additional information?

thanks
Sure. First, take the wheels off the bike and hold your fender over the wheel (with tire installed of course) to get a sense of whether the fender needs a larger or a smaller radius in order to line up nicely with the tire. To decrease the radius of the fender, you flex the fender slightly wider along its entire length. To flex it wider, put your thumbs in the center of the outside of the fender, fingers under the rolled edge of the fender, and pull the rolled edges apart. Start at one end if the fender and work all the way around. Just flex it gently at first as you get a feel for how much you are changing the shape of the fender. To increase the radius of the fender, you squeeze the rolled edges of the fender together, again working all the way around the length of it. I made small changes and checked the fender's fit over my wheel as I worked, so it took some time but the job was not too difficult. I have only done this with aluminum fenders, so I don't know whether it is easier or more difficult with steel fenders, maybe somebody else can tell us?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.