Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy BB issue

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campy BB issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 09:13 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
And the magnet test on the cups says.....?

Still haven’t confirmed if there is a divot (or 3) in the bearing surface of the spindle.
Old 09-25-20, 09:29 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Originally Posted by Johno59
. . . ‘Fixed' means non-adjustable not non-removable - so kudos for being thorough. The cosmetic damage indicates the wrong tool used and/or turning the wrong way when trying to extract. . . .
...which wouldn’t have happened had the previous owner not tried to remove it. Now if the fixed cup was already loose when the OP got the bike, well fair enough to remove it for “inspection”. If so, the fixed cup likely loosened because the previous owner couldn’t get it tight enough using his inadequate tools, and the same will happen to the OP, especially with those damaged flats.

But I’m happy to agree to disagree with you on this.
Old 09-25-20, 09:56 AM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Campy BB issue

Originally Posted by bulgie
I haven't read the whole thread (mea culpa) but has this been mentioned yet?
I think the cups are Super Record (could also be "Record-C"). You know, the aluminum cups with steel bearing races pressed in, which require a Super Record (or Record-C) spindle, and smaller 3/16" balls. Those cups will not work with a Record or NR spindle, and can't take 1/4" balls

Wouldn't that be funny if that were the cause of the whole problem? I think it just might be.

Mark B in Seattle
Hmm. Allright, so I guess I will need to look around for some new parts. In that case, am I correct in thinking it would be more economical and a likely fix to find Italian threaded NR cups? Or, should I try to match a new SR spindle to the existing cups? And, refering back to John's Campy Spec Sheet (post #5 in this thread), is there a way to know which of the four different size SR spindles is the right fit for the bike?
Old 09-25-20, 10:00 AM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Campy BB issue

I haven't read the whole thread (mea culpa) but has this been mentioned yet?
I think the cups are Super Record (could also be "Record-C"). You know, the aluminum cups with steel bearing races pressed in, which require a Super Record (or Record-C) spindle, and smaller 3/16" balls. Those cups will not work with a Record or NR spindle, and can't take 1/4" balls

Wouldn't that be funny if that were the cause of the whole problem? I think it just might be.

Mark B in Seattle
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
And the magnet test on the cups says.....?

Still haven’t confirmed if there is a divot (or 3) in the bearing surface of the spindle.
I have inspected the bearing surfaces and they look pretty good to me. I think the "divot" was just grease...a lousy photo. Also, a magnet sticks to the lockring, but not the adjustable cup. I did not know to try that test

Last edited by chefdurfee; 09-25-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 10:19 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by chefdurfee
am I correct in thinking it would be more economical and a likely fix to find Italian threaded NR cups? Or, should I try to match a new SR spindle to the existing cups?
The SR spindle is titanium and very expensive. The C-Record (aka Record-C, aka Record 180) is steel and possibly more economical, but I think they came in shorter lengths. I had stopped paying attention to Campy in those years so I am more useful as a resource for earlier Record-NR-SR parts, ask someone else about C-Record. But assuming your crank arms are post-1978 and double chainring, the overall spindle length should be 115 or 115.5 mm whether the spindle is NR, SR or Record.

So if you have a good smooth NR spindle about 115 mm, then yeah just find some matching cups, pretty easy.

Mark B

Last edited by bulgie; 09-25-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 10:53 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

. . . a magnet sticks to the lockring, but not the adjustable cup. I did not know to try that test
Well. blow me down and row me home in a dory....! (A gong for bulgie )

Out of interest, would you be good enough to photograph the inside of the adjustable cup? I’ve never seen one except on velobase and I would like to see what the pressed-in steel races look like. I can’t make anything of the poor photo you posted earlier, granted it was not taken for that reason.

And don’t fret about not knowing about the magnet test. I didn’t think to suggest it several hundred words ago...

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 09-25-20 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Wrong credit
Old 09-25-20, 11:29 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

And I was wrong to tell you to tighten the fixed cup wile you were still trouble-shooting the BB. Screw it in gently so dimensions are valid, yes, but still allowing easy removal if it turns out to need to be replaced. Usually I think we figure that the spindle is at fault, either worn or the wrong size, and the cups are good, which they generally are. If this was 1980 you would just go buy the right spindle at retail and all good. But today, you are likely to find it much easier to find NR cups to fit your “wrong” NR spindle than the right spindle to fit those Al cups, whatever they are. I hadn’t considered that possibility— I was totally blind-sided. So, and I mean no disrespect to Roman Catholics, mea culpa.
Old 09-25-20, 12:20 PM
chefdurfee

Campy BB issue

Well. blow me down and row me home in a dory....! (A gong for bulgie )

Out of interest, would you be good enough to photograph the inside of the adjustable cup? I’ve never seen one except on velobase and I would like to see what the pressed-in steel races look like. I can’t make anything of the poor photo you posted earlier, granted it was not taken for that reason.

And don’t fret about not knowing about the magnet test. I didn’t think to suggest it several hundred words ago...

Old 09-25-20, 12:21 PM
chefdurfee

Campy BB issue

And I was wrong to tell you to tighten the fixed cup wile you were still trouble-shooting the BB. Screw it in gently so dimensions are valid, yes, but still allowing easy removal if it turns out to need to be replaced. Usually I think we figure that the spindle is at fault, either worn or the wrong size, and the cups are good, which they generally are. If this was 1980 you would just go buy the right spindle at retail and all good. But today, you are likely to find it much easier to find NR cups to fit your “wrong” NR spindle than the right spindle to fit those Al cups, whatever they are. I hadn’t considered that possibility— I was totally blind-sided. So, and I mean no disrespect to Roman Catholics, mea culpa.
if only i hadn't listened...oh well, I'm sure it will come off again, its not like its been stuck on there for ages.
Old 09-25-20, 12:46 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
if only i hadn't listened...oh well, I'm sure it will come off again, its not like its been stuck on there for ages.
Do you have a tool that clamps onto the cup? The regular flat tool on its own is just about guaranteed to slip, especially after the flats are rounded off from the first time a tool slipped.

A plain flat tool can be OK if you also clamp it to the spindle with the spindle bolt, appropriately sized washers and a spacer. Let us know if you don't know what I mean, we can get you pictures and further instructions. Italian (and French) fixed cups need to be cranked down very tight or they'll loosen in use (unlike English/ISO and Swiss).

Mark B
Old 09-25-20, 01:20 PM
chefdurfee

Do you have a tool that clamps onto the cup? The regular flat tool on its own is just about guaranteed to slip, especially after the flats are rounded off from the first time a tool slipped.

A plain flat tool can be OK if you also clamp it to the spindle with the spindle bolt, appropriately sized washers and a spacer. Let us know if you don't know what I mean, we can get you pictures and further instructions. Italian (and French) fixed cups need to be cranked down very tight or they'll loosen in use (unlike English/ISO and Swiss).

Mark B
I got it off, thanks
Old 09-25-20, 03:38 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Well, well, well.... Thanks.
Striking how now that we know it’s aluminum, it so obviously looks aluminum in good photos: the polish, the deformation (not just scratching) of the pin holes from pin wrench....

Let me know if you have trouble finding NR cups. I’m refitting one of my Tommasinis. The cartridge BB arrived in the mail just now. If the cups are good — should be — I wouldn’t want a whole lot for them. You could pay me when you get them. (Against forum rules to talk $$ specifically.)
Old 09-25-20, 05:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
I got it off, thanks
Here's a DYI setup that I use every time, works every time, never failed or damaged any parts, tools, paint, frames or flesh, ever.

Yes its set up going the wrong way but you get the idea.

I prefer a stand that supports the BB for this or it can be done on the floor when you really have to lean on it.

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-25-20, 06:15 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
From looking at your picture, I would guess that you put the caged bearings in backwards. The cup should thread much further into the shell, so when you are done, the cup should be even with the lockring. Your picture shows the cup threaded out a bunch.
Old 09-25-20, 06:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
From looking at your picture, I would guess that you put the caged bearings in backwards. The cup should thread much further into the shell, so when you are done, the cup should be even with the lockring. Your picture shows the cup threaded out a bunch.
This has already been resolved, cups and spindle don't match, we drilled down hard on the bearing cages way back in the thread.
Old 09-25-20, 07:42 PM
chefdurfee

Well, well, well.... Thanks.
Striking how now that we know it’s aluminum, it so obviously looks aluminum in good photos: the polish, the deformation (not just scratching) of the pin holes from pin wrench....

Let me know if you have trouble finding NR cups. I’m refitting one of my Tommasinis. The cartridge BB arrived in the mail just now. If the cups are good — should be — I wouldn’t want a whole lot for them. You could pay me when you get them. (Against forum rules to talk $$ specifically.)
I love that idea....can we just connect directly?
Old 09-25-20, 08:57 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

I love that idea....can we just connect directly?
p.m. sent