Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Performance Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Performance Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 02:51 AM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Performance Bike

A neighbor passed away and his family asked for help in selling off some of his bicycle paraphernalia...I'm sitting on a few boxes of vintage goodies, plus a PX-10, a nice early 70's CNC racer, a Santana tandem and then this curious animal, of which I have no knowledge. I wonder if anyone here knows of this bike. Its all aluminum, from Performance Bikes, CORSA pantographed on the seat stays, well- equipped with Shimano 600 pretty much throughout. I'll try to sell it locally (San Francisco Bay Area) The previous owner was a founder of the LA cycling club, La Grange. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-14-21, 03:39 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
At first I thought it might be a rebranded Vitus 979, but only the headstock looks similar to the Vitus.
It's also not a re-branded ALAN and maybe not a TVT. I'm thinking, maybe it was made by a Japanese or Taiwanese company for Performance?
Old 01-14-21, 09:17 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Yeah. Also not a rebranded Sakae Litage.

I know that the model name is Corsa, and it's Performance's house brand. I can only conjecture about the date. Mid-late '80s, maybe early '90s?

It looks like the other Japanese bonded aluminum frame manufacturer. I don't know the name, but they sold frames under the name "Gan Well", "Dura All", and "Nakagawa" among others. Confirming this, there would be a rivet in the joint between the top tube and head tube.

Last edited by scarlson; 01-14-21 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 01-14-21, 09:26 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I like the semi connection to Dura Ace with one of the Japanese brands. Nice touch! Great of you to help this family out and take on a hard task, Kudos!
Old 01-14-21, 09:34 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I like the semi connection to Dura Ace with one of the Japanese brands. Nice touch!
Yeah, and as a bonus, to the trade name for fatigue-resistant 2000-series aluminum alloy, Duralumin, often shortened to Dural. They were really trying with that branding.
Old 01-14-21, 11:33 AM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Thanks for the input. If you were to suggest a few bikes that might be considered as comparable to this one (but easier to research!), it would help me to determine a reasonable asking price.
Old 01-14-21, 11:58 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by chefdurfee
Thanks for the input. If you were to suggest a few bikes that might be considered as comparable to this one (but easier to research!), it would help me to determine a reasonable asking price.

​​​​​​​This thread has some good matching info, worth a read through, but particularly posts #6 and #19: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ery-frame.html
Old 01-14-21, 12:08 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
There is also a link to a sold frame on ebay I found in a google image search, noting the Nakagawa connection and some frame measurements. Looks like it sold for about $90 as a frame and fork, but the Bay Area market is always hotter than other parts of the country.

Pic:

Description in the ad:

Late 1980's vintage 58cm Bonded aluminum Performance Corsa road frame & fork by Nakagawa, Japan.

This looks like the Japanese version of a Vitus 979 frame set.

The frame and fork weigh exactly 5 lbs., or 2,272 grams.

The bike was not used or hardly used at all, and has some light scratches, incurred while in storage more than from actual use, and possible fading or

discoloration on the blue anodizing. 127 mm rear dropout spacing, 2 sets of water bottles bosses.

Frame size: 58 cm (center to top)

Top tube: 56 cm

Rear dropout spacing: 127 mm

Frame Tubing : Nakagawa aluminum alloy

Seat tube diameter: 25.0 mm.

Bottom bracket threading: 1.37" x 24tpi (English)

Wheel size: 700C
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 01-15-21, 11:58 AM
chefdurfee

thanks, that is a great help!