Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tell me about your Bridgestone XO-4

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-03-08, 08:32 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts

I picked up one of these from CL a while back; changed to drop bars; other than that it's all stock. The gearing is crazy wide and low for the midwest. It's a 42-34-24 crankset with an 11-28 7 speed rear. I've thought about altering that but I don't know if I want to dump money into this - I might just flip it. Anyone ride one of these, and have you modified it, and how do you like it? Thanks for comments.

Old 07-03-08, 03:31 PM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The 1990's era Bridgestones have become "cult" bikes (just as the catalogs have become collector's items) but not many of them actually got sold. Some models sold less than 1,000 total bikes.

So, odds are, you won't be riding down the street and see someone riding YOUR exact model of Bridgestone. All the more reason to keep the one you have, and to keep it as original as possible.
Old 04-20-20, 09:22 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reviving this very old thread. Friend is trying to sell one of these, anyone have a suggestion for pricing?
Old 04-20-20, 10:06 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
reviving this very old thread. Friend is trying to sell one of these, anyone have a suggestion for pricing?
there is a separate thread for valuation, you should create a new thread there https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

that said for any one else looking at this.... the bike description presages rivendell descriptions.

Old 01-14-21, 03:26 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Its priceless lad ....its priceless
Likes For homelessjoe:
Old 01-15-21, 12:49 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

xo

ok...i have a red XO4.....its a street racer.... ....it seems like a tiny bike ....almost delicate..........extremely comfortable.....I have tried to analyze why the fit is so good but the reason is hard to figure out....small tires give it extra torque...its really really fast ........super pickup .....compact...and great handling it always seems like Im zipping around and encourages me to drive fast......its truly not like anything else and I think that is what the great appeal is with the XOs......when introduced they were very unique...........I am part of the Bridgestone cult followers......I have a white XO1 and a red RB1..........Ive looked for a MB1 or a MBzip for years without success......its gotta have the fork crown and priced in the sane range............Ive planned on modifying the XO4 but its nicely thought out as is stock.......in fact im afraid to adjust the seat because its so comfy now
Old 01-15-21, 11:48 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by homelessjoe
ok...i have a red XO4...
Do you have any pictures that show the fit? I've got a 700c XO-3 that is "too small". I put an extended seat post on it and rode it around the block a few times but never realy gave it a chance. It felt very upright and a bit cramped with the stock bars all the way up. However, it is the most stable bike I've ever ridden with no hands though. I've held on to it with thoughts putting dirt drop bars and stem on it which would give it the same reach as my road bikes.

Old 01-15-21, 01:37 PM
homelessjoe

I will get around to posting some pictures soon but..I forgot to mention...I have 26X1.50 slicks.....which makes it seen like a different bike than the 700c version.........a black stem but chrome handle bars.....my decals are white.......my calipers are polished aluminum not black.......I tried drop bars on the XO1 and a little longer stem which gave it a much more aggressive riding posture.......it also has 26X1.50 slicks......the only way to describe it is rippy little street racer........the XO4 with the 26 X1.50inch wheels looks like a small kids bike.......but once on its very comfy..........I think its very important to change the stem length on any bike you get to fine tune your reach and achieve the posture and comfort that you like.....an inch to short or an inch to long makes all the difference in the world.....and what are the chances the bike you buy is going to be within an inch of what you like.........
Old 01-15-21, 09:03 PM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Do you have any pictures that show the fit? I've got a 700c XO-3 that is "too small". I put an extended seat post on it and rode it around the block a few times but never realy gave it a chance. It felt very upright and a bit cramped with the stock bars all the way up. However, it is the most stable bike I've ever ridden with no hands though. I've held on to it with thoughts putting dirt drop bars and stem on it which would give it the same reach as my road bikes.
My XO-3, a bit of a beater, but a good "around town" bike. I haven't quite dialed in the seat position, riding this bike on the road is exhausting but I like how it handles the lousy pavement
Old 09-03-22, 09:50 AM
chaionbikes

Bikes: Orbea Avant, Fuji Feather, Cannondale Silk Path 400

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ALERT::: BUILD PROJECT INITIATED

XO-4 frameset just purchased.

Goal: create a bike-packing rig on 700c X 40mm tires with drop bars, AND front cat basket set-up for Mr. Franklin. This is basically for him.

It's on.
Old 09-03-22, 10:08 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by chaionbikes
ALERT::: BUILD PROJECT INITIATED

XO-4 frameset just purchased.

Goal: create a bike-packing rig on 700c X 40mm tires with drop bars, AND front cat basket set-up for Mr. Franklin. This is basically for him.

It's on.
Better to start your own thread with pics. You won't be able to post pics though until you have at least 10 posts so you may want to read and contribute to a few threads first until you hit 10.