Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivendell Atlantis or Vintage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rivendell Atlantis or Vintage

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 02:00 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I was lucky to find this one locally.

Bought it before our local CL turned into junk heaven.

Had about 100 miles max on it. Original owner's manual, tires, etc.

All I did was repack the bearings and put on her favorite "go anywhere" tires.

This winter I am tearing it down and treating it to a nos Blackburn front rack and the Ostrich bag from my Bilenky.

New Kool Stops, cables, etc. will have it better than new.

You guys would love to ride this bike.

It's a blast.
Very lucky!! I've been watching Craigslist continuously for over two years and in that time there have been TWO early 80's MTB's (metro of 1,000,000 people). I foolishly let the first one go (t was the better of the two) but bought the second one!

I've also been trolling the pawnshops around where I work and all I've found is 90's Treks and an '88 Bridgestone MB-5. A 22" early Stumpjumper in the color I think of as "Stumpjumper Blue" is my grail bike right now.

I failed to buy this year and model:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mt Fuji.jpg (93.9 KB, 644 views)

Last edited by corwin1968; 01-04-15 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 02:14 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by AvenirFolder
A great looking bike. What kind of tires are those? Size? You mentioned brake pads -- what did you use on that Sport?
Thanks, she loves it.

The tires are Schwalbe Fat Franks in the 26"x2.35 size.

They roll great and really soak up the bumps.

The brake pads are Kool Stops and if I remember, they were the Eagle 2s.

I would have to double check on that though.
Old 01-04-15, 02:34 PM
AvenirFolder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, she loves it.

The tires are Schwalbe Fat Franks in the 26"x2.35 size.

They roll great and really soak up the bumps.

The brake pads are Kool Stops and if I remember, they were the Eagle 2s.

I would have to double check on that though.
I thought those tires looked bigger than 2.25". Nice! To borrow a Surly slogan: Fatties Fit Fine! And, funny enough, the Surly LHT only fits up to 2.1" while the Troll and Ogre are up around the 2.5/2.6" limit. That 2.35" sizing is really all you'd ever need for most riding. A lot of the mid-80s stuff came with 2.125" tires as standard equipment.
Old 01-04-15, 05:34 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
My wife rides her 83 Sport constantly in season.

I tried to buy her a new custom or a used Rivendell like mine and she didn't want it.

Great bikes for sure. Tires and brake pads make these come alive.

[IMG]SANY0062 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Got one of those too. actally I have an 82, 83, 84, 2 - 85s, an 86 and 92 Stumpjumpers.
Old 01-04-15, 05:58 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Got one of those too. actally I have an 82, 83, 84, 2 - 85s, an 86 and 92 Stumpjumpers.
I think you just cornered the Stumpjumper market, lol. I thought I was doing good owning a 1988 stumpjumper comp and a 1991 team stumpjumper
Old 01-04-15, 06:04 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
What are you waiting for?!? Finding the frame is the hard part, and you have a whole collection.
Old 04-26-15, 08:59 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I skipped ahead from page three as the original question was almost lost to antiquity.

So..

OP, I'm very new here compared to many others but I've been riding various two wheelers as long as the next person. I understand what you want has the features and "panache" of a Riv'. Ok. You can have most of it but you need to be careful. Bike weights can be bore easily per design or poorly for the same reasons. A well designed frame feels lighter especially when it fits the rider correctly. A very personal relationship.

One of the things which isn't oft touched upon is tire profile. Tire profile, believe it or don't, is also affected by the choice of rims and the parts mating the rims to the hubs. Trail can affect things too except now we're getting beyond the original context. Back to tire profile. An exaggerated V may work better on certain forks while a rounder profile may be better on others. If you decide to build your own shade tree Riv', that little detail may be very influential in how the bike ultimately feels for you.

The Riv' frames are special because he incorporated a lot of everyday real world riding answers to questions the big manufacturers have lately ignored. The costs are first world prices for labor in a first world nation. Along with what the market will bare etc etc. Me, I could save up for something like that and be fine with it. Or I could go the other route and see if I could build my own real world bicycle. Either way, it's a win because I learned (through this site) there is still someone out there promoting a well made, comfortable, multi purpose riding machine.

Grant Petersen promotes a mindset, an approach to bicycling; do it to have fun. Once you make it (bicycling) work, you may have detracted from what it could be for you. Which is why we find so many excellent bikes hanging in garages suffering from rot rather than wear from use.

Harv

Last edited by shrtdstncrdr; 04-26-15 at 09:55 AM. Reason: changed "it" to bicycling
Old 04-26-15, 09:28 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
Once you make it work you may have detracted from what it could be for you. Which is why we find so many excellent bikes hanging in garages suffering from rot rather than wear from use.

Harv
Hi Harv,

Could you please clarify that?

Once I make something work for me, I'm more apt to use it, rather than not.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-26-15, 09:58 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Aha. I see what you're saying.

What I meant was, once one makes bicycling work rather than fun, one may have detracted blah blah blah .

Clear inside the head, not clear once outside the head haha

Thanks for catching that

Harv
Old 04-26-15, 10:06 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Aha. I see what you're saying.

What I meant was, once one makes bicycling work rather than fun, one may have detracted blah blah blah .

Clear inside the head, not clear once outside the head haha

Thanks for catching that

Harv
Dig!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-27-15, 08:18 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts

Back to tire profile. An exaggerated V may work better on certain forks while a rounder profile may be better on others. If you decide to build your own shade tree Riv', that little detail may be very influential in how the bike ultimately feels for [I]you.

Harv
Exaggerated V tires? I thought they were all pretty much round in cross section. Where can I get some of those?
Old 04-27-15, 01:31 PM
kehomer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've enjoyed reading this thread so much that I can't resist putting in my 2 cents worth. I rode a friend's Atlantis a number of years ago and didn't fall head over heels in love with it. As I recall, it rode pretty well, had nice lugs (maybe a bit too rococo for me) and the paint looked good, although I had seen better. It's Grant Petersen's well put together marketing that has made all the difference. His method of educating the public, his common sense approach to the true joy of riding, setting up and maintaining bikes has made Rivendell a well known name. I'll bet that the custom bike market has benefited indirectly as well.

In 2007, I bought a Surly LHT 54 cm frame/fork and built it into a pretty good, sturdy bike. Found out later the the dimensions on the LHT and the Atlantis are about identical. I liked the Surly but it felt a bit clunky so I sold it and bought a 1987 Panasonic Tourer which I built up to my taste. It was a little lighter and had a slightly more aggresive ride than the Surly.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I bought a 1986 Stumpjumper Sport frame a couple of years ago and just recently finished building it to my taste. It fits really well. As some of you have mentioned, the Stumpjumper does have a pretty high BB and the geometry is laid back but I am an old guy and not in too much of a hurry most of the time.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-27-15, 11:18 PM
AAZ

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Rivendell Atlantis or Vintage?
I have an Atlantis and several vintage bikes. I have a Miyata 1000 that I would say has some very nice qualities. It may actually be the most comfortable bike I own. It does not accept as wide a tire as the Atlantis. It is a little lighter. The paint job is much higher quality with the Atlantis. I enjoy them both.
The Miyata cost me much less than the Atlantis. The Atlantis is the highest quality bike I own. The frame feels like it should last forever.

My observations, for what it's worth.
Old 04-28-15, 12:10 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Very nicely written, @AvenirFolder. I just read Grant's book Just Ride, and I don't find him to be egotistical, just insightful and witty.
OK, I am tempted to make my third post about GP. I assure you I have no man crush.

I've talked with him in the store & warehouse, he was interested in my bikes, my interests in bikes, what my wife was looking for in her bike..and he was gracious. I do not own a Riv and he made no suggestion I should. It was a very pleasant time just talking bikes with another guy that likes bikes. Nice guy, trying hard, putting it on the line. I agree with what AvenirFolder suggested, Grant's an independent business person with a big investment running against the grain and feeling the strain. It's a gutsy way to live, he has my respect. I hope he continues to make it work; Performance Bikes closed its doors just a block away. Hella tough business.

It also appears to me the demand for C&V bikes has fallen, Perhaps not for holy grail bikes, but the average 80's, 90's cro-mo bikes seem to be going for very little money locally, I'll speculate the China Syndrome has fully permeated the chains and big box stories. $500 buys you a lot of bike, $1500 has you feeling like Lance. Although it may not effect Riv directly it seems you can find Miyatas, Univegas, old Treks pretty darn cheap these days, compared to what I was paying 5 years ago. So, why buy a Riv when you can find a great base frame for a few hundred bucks, or a fully loaded mixte for half what he sells his complete bike? I not sure the average bike guy or gal sees his value proposition. Like I said, hella tough business.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 04-28-15 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 06:06 AM
corwin1968

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
OK, I am tempted to make my third post about GP. I assure you I have no man crush.

I've talked with him in the store & warehouse, he was interested in my bikes, my interests in bikes, what my wife was looking for in her bike..and he was gracious. I do not own a Riv and he made no suggestion I should. It was a very pleasant time just talking bikes with another guy that likes bikes. Nice guy, trying hard, putting it on the line. I agree with what AvenirFolder suggested, Grant's an independent business person with a big investment running against the grain and feeling the strain. It's a gutsy way to live, he has my respect. I hope he continues to make it work; Performance Bikes closed its doors just a block away. Hella tough business.

It also appears to me the demand for C&V bikes has fallen, Perhaps not for holy grail bikes, but the average 80's, 90's cro-mo bikes seem to be going for very little money locally, I'll speculate the China Syndrome has fully permeated the chains and big box stories. $500 buys you a lot of bike, $1500 has you feeling like Lance. Although it may not effect Riv directly it seems you can find Miyatas, Univegas, old Treks pretty darn cheap these days, compared to what I was paying 5 years ago. So, why buy a Riv when you can find a great base frame for a few hundred bucks, or a fully loaded mixte for half what he sells his complete bike? I not sure the average bike guy or gal sees his value proposition. Like I said, hella tough business.
He seems to be adapting to the market and RBW is expecting 200 complete bikes in October that they plan to sell for $1500 each. A complete Rivendell bicycle for $1500. They are mostly tig welded with a few lugs thrown in, because they are Riv's afterall.....

This image was just to show a frameset built up (they used whatever parts were handy). The actual components on the stock bikes will be substantially different. Three sizes: 48cm/26" wheels, 52cm/650b wheels, 59cm/700c wheels. The photo is a 52cm bike.

Attached Images

Last edited by corwin1968; 04-28-15 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 06:21 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
There are a few personalities in the nostalgia/ glamor cycling arena that have created their on brand of how cycling should be.
Not any different than Trek or Specialized in my opinion. Each peddling their version of a cycling heaven that only through their knowledge and their products can be achieved.
I think it is hogwash. It's a bike. Just get out and ride!
Old 04-28-15, 06:50 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I'm witch you.
Old 04-28-15, 08:46 AM
lord_athlon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
There are a few personalities in the nostalgia/ glamor cycling arena that have created their on brand of how cycling should be.
Not any different than Trek or Specialized in my opinion. Each peddling their version of a cycling heaven that only through their knowledge and their products can be achieved.
I agree with the last bit.
Grant is trying to sell you on getting on a bike and going for a ride, screw what other people think.
Trek and Specialized are selling you on a 16lb wonder because being the fastest and lightest is important.
Old 04-28-15, 08:59 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by lord_athlon
I agree with the last bit.
Grant is trying to sell you on getting on a bike and going for a ride, screw what other people think.
Trek and Specialized are selling you on a 16lb wonder because being the fastest and lightest is important.
Yep, a lot of marketing involved on both ends. And I think they're both right. It's fun to just ride. It's also fun to go fast. Some like one and don't feel particularly drawn to the other. Some like both (and more... trails, snow, etc.). Whatever.
Old 04-28-15, 09:38 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
We are all out for just enjoying the ride. Only you can find what that actually is. Toe clips or no toe clips or whatever. It does not take a guru to tell you that.
GP and some others are about creating a following that places an importance on what they sell, same as any company. It's all marketing.
Old 04-28-15, 02:29 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AAZ
I have an Atlantis and several vintage bikes. I have a Miyata 1000 that I would say has some very nice qualities. It may actually be the most comfortable bike I own. It does not accept as wide a tire as the Atlantis. It is a little lighter. The paint job is much higher quality with the Atlantis. I enjoy them both.
The Miyata cost me much less than the Atlantis. The Atlantis is the highest quality bike I own. The frame feels like it should last forever.

My observations, for what it's worth.
Waterford has been making them for the last few years. I'm not sure what Rivenell is specing in the frames. For the money I am sure it must be nice. When you think about it a new Atlantis is comparable to what Waterford is charging for a new frame and fork.
Old 04-28-15, 07:50 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Exaggerated V tires? I thought they were all pretty much round in cross section. Where can I get some of those?
Yah. In the past I've had tires on bikes which had such design where they had more tread in the center, the rolling area, then further out to the sidewalls. This isn't anything new. I think motorcycle tire manufacturers likely got the idea from bicycle tire manufacturers. Motorbike tire companies have always been experimenting with V versus U contact area designs.

I think you're taking too simple an approach to what I was fairly unclear in describing. Hopefully the above paragraph goes a little farther in explaining what I'm trying to say. Not as well as I'd like, I admit.

More material where the tire contacts the road the most, on some tires.

Equal material thickness (depth) across the entire possible road contact area, on other tires.

Harv
Old 04-28-15, 08:00 PM
shrtdstncrdr

I wonder if this debate would even exist if Rivendell were a sixty year old company whose prices seemed more reasonable (to the people who don't agree) with the rest of the market.

Who else was it makes a new bike with the same design again? Quality parts?

Harv

It's always marketing. It's how builders get their names out to sell stuff.
Old 04-18-22, 11:38 PM
heytchap

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by turky lurkey
This is an entertaining thread. Since I can't afford a Rivendell bike I can't say much about them because obviously I will choose a cheaper alternative. They do look nice in pictures. I read/skimmed Grant Peterson's book "Just Ride" one evening at a book store. I definitely got the impression that he is a very opinionated guy and thinks highly of his opinions. I found it a bit contradictory though that his book is titled "Just Ride". He is extremely specific about the way people should ride bikes, the type of bikes they should ride and the type of clothing they should wear. Maybe he should have titled the book: Just Ride As Long As You Do It My Way. I also found some of his theories a little ridiculous. For example, he suggests swerving around a bit and acting a little out of control while riding in traffic in order to make sure drivers are aware of you.
We’re like 10 years late here, and I hope you’re still around to see this, but that advice is 100% solid and is something you should do. The same advice is commonly shared in motorcycle groups for the same reason, to draw attention to the rider and to break them away from the background. You dismissing the suggestion as “ridiculous” -I think- tells pretty clearly that you haven’t considered how right this stance actually is and are too far in your own mind to appreciate the reality of the suggestion.

Back to motorcycles, it’s called the “SMIDSY weave” also known as the “sorry mate, I didn’t see you” to make sure you don’t have to hear those words when you get absolutely brutalized by a vehicle.

expand your mind and think more critically about things.
Old 04-20-22, 05:59 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the smidsy weave often on a motorcycle at intersections doesn't make it 100% solid advice for a bicycle. Grant's reasoning and suggested situations for when to do it is really different from those of the smidsy weave. Disingenuous to conflate the two
"For example, he suggests swerving around a bit and acting a little out of control while riding in traffic in order to make sure drivers are aware of you."

Totally different than the reasoning behind the motorcycle smidsy. Which is about making your headlight more noticeable with the movement of weaving.
Originally Posted by heytchap
We’re like 10 years late here, and I hope you’re still around to see this, but that advice is 100% solid and is something you should do. The same advice is commonly shared in motorcycle groups for the same reason, to draw attention to the rider and to break them away from the background. You dismissing the suggestion as “ridiculous” -I think- tells pretty clearly that you haven’t considered how right this stance actually is and are too far in your own mind to appreciate the reality of the suggestion.
Back to motorcycles, it’s called the “SMIDSY weave” also known as the “sorry mate, I didn’t see you” to make sure you don’t have to hear those words when you get absolutely brutalized by a vehicle.

expand your mind and think more critically about things.

Last edited by ricebowl; 07-16-22 at 04:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.