Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Jones Beach bike path extension

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Jones Beach bike path extension

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 05:55 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
You know, maybe if someone invented, you know, "a thing", to make the numbnut on the aero bar slow down at the crossing point........like, some hump or irregularity in the pavement, something a bit bump-ish......I wonder if that's ever been done before, anywhere where excessive speed might be an issue. Hmmm. You know, a thing.
"That's the ticket" . Actually this is a good idea.
Old 09-29-20, 06:10 AM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
You know, maybe if someone invented, you know, "a thing", to make the numbnut on the aero bar slow down at the crossing point........like, some hump or irregularity in the pavement, something a bit bump-ish......I wonder if that's ever been done before, anywhere where excessive speed might be an issue. Hmmm. You know, a thing.
NYS & TOBAY. Hire this man as a consultant for the aforementioned path. He has common sense
Old 09-29-20, 06:44 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
If they're fully in the zone do you think they keep pedaling while they're soaring through the air or do they stop pedaling long enough to notice they're airborne?

The only problem with your suggestion is that they'll put in those narrow rubber ones without thinking about it and those are rough to hit at any speed rather then a gentle one that is nice at anything below 10mph.
Old 09-29-20, 03:36 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Then why wait until this stage to throw sand into the gears?
They didn't just start holding it up now. They've been holding it up for months. As we approach Election Day without a newsworthy "incident" so far, the stakes become even greater.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 09-29-20 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-29-20, 03:39 PM
Papa Tom

I suggested a speed bump to my friend, Travis, the manager of TOBAY Beach. He is not in a position to make that happen by himself, but he certainly may be able to whisper it in someone's ear and have some influence. I think it's the best option, outside of moving the path into the parking lot.
Old 09-29-20, 05:01 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
They didn't just start holding it up now. They've been holding it up for months. As we approach Election Day without a newsworthy "incident" so far, the stakes become even greater.
They are holding hostage an essentially finished project that has been in the planning for YEARS.

I've never heard of an election influenced by a theoretical traffic "incident". I'm not seeing those "stakes".
Old 09-29-20, 05:05 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

I suggested a speed bump to my friend, Travis,......
YESSSSSS! THAT's what we'll call it! A SPEED BUMP! It' genius.
Old 09-29-20, 05:41 PM
Papa Tom

They are holding hostage an essentially finished project that has been in the planning for YEARS.

I've never heard of an election influenced by a theoretical traffic "incident". I'm not seeing those "stakes".
With all due respect, Joe, you cannot understand how political minds work if you have never worked in government, as I have for the past ten years. They are not like us.

In this particular case, I think the Town has a valid concern, although you and I know that it will probably only take one season for cyclists and drivers to get used to the new traffic flow at TOBAY's entrance. Every elected official, however, is keenly aware of how little it takes to destroy a political reputation and nobody wants to risk losing an election because one cyclist gets his or her Tour De France on, blows through the crossway, and ends up in the hospital or in a box. That's just how it is. You don't have to like it (I sure don't), but it's the system we have come to accept over many generations.

I think your idea of a speed bump is an excellent one, and my guess is that none of the members of the Town Board are even aware that speed bumps CAN be installed on bike paths. They are not cyclists, do not understand cycling, and are understandably concerned with protecting their livelihoods against reckless behavior, which you and I also know "happens" among some bicyclists.
Old 09-30-20, 04:34 PM
kaos joe

With all due respect, Joe, you cannot understand how political minds work if you have never worked in government, as I have for the past ten years. They are not like us..
It's good to know you have such a keen feel for the inner workings of Town politics after working "in government". Let me ask, how exactly is the Town holding up the opening of this path, as it is a NY State project? Have they asked for an injunction, or filed a lawsuit? Pardon me if my legal terms are inappropriate, as I'm neither a lawyer or politician.
Old 09-30-20, 05:47 PM
Papa Tom

It's good to know you have such a keen feel for the inner workings of Town politics after working "in government". Let me ask, how exactly is the Town holding up the opening of this path, as it is a NY State project? Have they asked for an injunction, or filed a lawsuit? Pardon me if my legal terms are inappropriate, as I'm neither a lawyer or politician.
Joe: I am certainly not bragging about my job "in government," as I am on the lowest rung of the ladder. Today, I sanitized toilets and tables for three hours. It's not what I was hired for, but I am glad to have a job at this time.

My "keen feel for the inner workings of town politics" comes from being around these people every day for the past ten years, including working side-by-side with them as a sound man, sitting in on meetings with them, working on their campaigns, and yes, sanitizing their toilets. I can tell you with absolute certainty that not all people in politics are in it to make sure you and I have an awesome bike path - and those who are also have to expend a lot of energy making sure they keep their elected positions so that they can finish the projects they start.

While I am often frustrated by the actions of the people I work for, in this case, I can understand their concerns about the crossing at TOBAY and, particularly, how it might affect them in an election year. I want to ride to Captree before COVID or a civil war kills me, too, but I can tell you from experience and unofficial hearsay that there's an excellent chance the supervisors of Oyster Bay and Babylon have asked the governor of NY State (or whichever NYS official has the final call on the bikeway extension) to hold off on the opening until after the elections. And I would guess that the governor, who has enjoyed several months of being a hero to many, didn't need to have his arm twisted. I do not believe there was an injunction or a lawsuit, just a handshake.

Now, whether any further modifications will be considered before opening, I don't know. We are in a pandemic and the townships and the state are bleeding money right now, so I wouldn't expect any major structural changes anytime soon. What you will probably have is a soft opening much later in the fall so that the extension isn't in full use until April or May of next year. At that point, it will be old news and the average person will assume it has been there as long as Ocean Parkway itself. Then, once the extension is no longer front-page worthy, if, God forbid, someone gets injured, it will be pretty well ignored and the papers will deflect the fault to the cyclist, as they usually do. But that's another conversation.

Have I clarified my initial comments yet, or do you just want to keep bashing me?
Old 10-01-20, 05:44 AM
kaos joe

[QUOTE=Papa Tom;21721763.....Have I clarified my initial comments yet, or do you just want to keep bashing me?[/QUOTE]

Not bashing you. Bashing the Town. You've said you have an insiders knowledge of what's going on there, so I asked.
Old 10-01-20, 09:20 AM
justtrying

I made a few calls to the NYS Dept of Transportation Wednesday. I got a call back today,one of the holdups is awaiting for railings to be put in, due to Covid, progress has been slowed down in that regard. Also signage and pavement markings have to be put in then a inspection of the completed project. When I mentioned the possible concerns regarding the TOBAY& Gilgo entrances, he said he was aware of the concern but that wast holding the project up. I mentioned the Kaos Joe’s idea of speed bumps and pointed out the approximately half dozen crossings by the Massapequa Bike path, where cars and cyclists meet and as far has I knew there have been no issues. He said the contractual completion date is 3/28/21& he hoped it would be completed earlier. The Dept of Trans. web site lists the Estimated Substantial Completion Date as 12/28/20. (That means when the public would have use of the project.
Old 10-01-20, 11:11 AM
kaos joe

Justtrying,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to get some actual facts into this discussion. It appears my "bashing" of the Town of Oyster Bay might have been uncalled for as it was based on hearsay, innuendo, rumor and assumption.
Old 10-01-20, 11:33 AM
justtrying

Justtrying,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to get some actual facts into this discussion. It appears my "bashing" of the Town of Oyster Bay might have been uncalled for as it was based on hearsay, innuendo, rumor and assumption.
👍Glad to do it. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a call back this morning
Old 10-01-20, 11:59 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Joe: I am certainly not bragging about my job "in government," as I am on the lowest rung of the ladder. Today, I sanitized toilets and tables for three hours. It's not what I was hired for, but I am glad to have a job at this time.

My "keen feel for the inner workings of town politics" comes from being around these people every day for the past ten years, including working side-by-side with them as a sound man, sitting in on meetings with them, working on their campaigns, and yes, sanitizing their toilets. I can tell you with absolute certainty that not all people in politics are in it to make sure you and I have an awesome bike path - and those who are also have to expend a lot of energy making sure they keep their elected positions so that they can finish the projects they start.

While I am often frustrated by the actions of the people I work for, in this case, I can understand their concerns about the crossing at TOBAY and, particularly, how it might affect them in an election year. I want to ride to Captree before COVID or a civil war kills me, too, but I can tell you from experience and unofficial hearsay that there's an excellent chance the supervisors of Oyster Bay and Babylon have asked the governor of NY State (or whichever NYS official has the final call on the bikeway extension) to hold off on the opening until after the elections. And I would guess that the governor, who has enjoyed several months of being a hero to many, didn't need to have his arm twisted. I do not believe there was an injunction or a lawsuit, just a handshake.

Now, whether any further modifications will be considered before opening, I don't know. We are in a pandemic and the townships and the state are bleeding money right now, so I wouldn't expect any major structural changes anytime soon. What you will probably have is a soft opening much later in the fall so that the extension isn't in full use until April or May of next year. At that point, it will be old news and the average person will assume it has been there as long as Ocean Parkway itself. Then, once the extension is no longer front-page worthy, if, God forbid, someone gets injured, it will be pretty well ignored and the papers will deflect the fault to the cyclist, as they usually do. But that's another conversation.

Have I clarified my initial comments yet, or do you just want to keep bashing me?
Well phrased, Tom.
Old 10-01-20, 03:05 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Well phrased, Tom.
Thank you. Anyone who wants to believe the DOT guy's words is welcomed to. I'm done.
Old 10-01-20, 03:59 PM
justtrying

Thank you. Anyone who wants to believe the DOT guy's words is welcomed to. I'm done.
I wasn’t criticizing you or doubting your opinion, I simply reported what the representative of the NYS Dept. of Trans. stated to me and what the project progress report stated. Either way the finish date most optimistically from their report is late Dec.
Old 10-01-20, 06:58 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by justtrying
pointed out the approximately half dozen crossings by the Massapequa Bike path, where cars and cyclists meet and as far has I knew there have been no issues.
I've seen numerous close calls at Clark and the traffic circle.Last year I notice the addition of 2 cameras mounted on a telephone pole at the Clark crossing and this year noticed a wire mounted camera looking north on the path at Clark.

What they need to do is cut the growth back 30-50 feet back so people on the path and cars on the road can see each other with more than a 5 foot warning. They also need speed humps at the Clark crossing and speed humps and 20mph speed limit signs at the circle. Cars come off the Bethpage parkway doing 60+ and make the right to the club house and pass the crossing and never slowing down.

The officials need to go to each crossing on a Saturday and stay there for 30 minutes to see the amount of traffic on the path and the speed cars cross the path at.
Old 10-02-20, 07:26 AM
justtrying

Originally Posted by GlennR
I've seen numerous close calls at Clark and the traffic circle.Last year I notice the addition of 2 cameras mounted on a telephone pole at the Clark crossing and this year noticed a wire mounted camera looking north on the path at Clark.

What they need to do is cut the growth back 30-50 feet back so people on the path and cars on the road can see each other with more than a 5 foot warning. They also need speed humps at the Clark crossing and speed humps and 20mph speed limit signs at the circle. Cars come off the Bethpage parkway doing 60+ and make the right to the club house and pass the crossing and never slowing down.

The officials need to go to each crossing on a Saturday and stay there for 30 minutes to see the amount of traffic on the path and the speed cars cross the path at.
I guess I was trying to be optimistic when I said I heard of no issues, really meaning thankfully I haven’t seen or heard of any issues in the papers or on the news. The relatively uniqueness of the traffic circle, for LI drivers, causes problems because the drivers seem always to be in a rush, particularly going up or down the hill leading to the golf course
Old 10-02-20, 08:53 AM
Steve B.

And FWIW, I just saw on the CLIMB FB page that an older gentleman on a bike was struck yesterday where the BP path crosses Old Bethpage Rd. Didn’t seem to be too serious and for all we know, cyclists/car collisions are more common than we know at these crossings.
Old 10-02-20, 09:14 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by justtrying
The relatively uniqueness of the traffic circle, for LI drivers, causes problems because the drivers seem always to be in a rush, particularly going up or down the hill leading to the golf course
The problem with the circle is cars coming off the parkway are going 60+ mph and make a blind right turn with the only signage at the crossing... no warning. The cars and truck coming down the hill can't see anyone since the trees and bushes block the view other than the last 5 feet so they have a hard time slowing down... and most don't bother and just blow through the crossing.

A 30mph sign along with a series of speed humps well before will make it a lot safer.
Old 10-11-20, 05:59 PM
edman610

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp Disc Ultegra, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Specialized Fat Boy, trek Superfly FS9, Cannondale R400, Specialized StumpJumper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great comment! I (allegedly) may or may not have ridden the trail in it's entirety several times recently. They DEFINATELY are putting in railings by Oak Beach, they have about half of them in. The path is cleaned and pre-marked for pavement striping from about Cedar Beach east.

Regarding the Tobay/Gilgo/Cedar crossings, I get asking for bicycle speed bumps - what about car speed bumps as well?

It is a beautiful path, 10.2 miles east from Tobay. It DOES get windy, though!
Old 06-06-22, 07:16 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
I thought I'd take a chance and reanimate this old thread to ask the latest news of this bike path. Does anyone know if there are any plans to extend it farther now, say across the bridge to Fire Island?
Old 06-06-22, 07:19 PM
Papa Tom

Oh, boy! NOW you've opened a can of worms!!!!

Seriously, EVERY CYCLIST wants this to happen, but it appears motorists and residents of the towns at both ends are set against it for some reason. I'm sure others on this forum can elaborate better than I can, though.
Old 06-06-22, 07:54 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Headpost
I thought I'd take a chance and reanimate this old thread to ask the latest news of this bike path. Does anyone know if there are any plans to extend it farther now, say across the bridge to Fire Island?
Only noise I've seen from cycling groups is getting a lane built to the mainland. That would essentially either require adding a separate path onto the bridge structure (very unlikely), or changing the northbound 3rd lane to a protected cycling lane. The State DOT has not offered any opinion that I've heard about, so its really off in the future is my guess. Ive heard zip about extending down to the barrier beach, which I understand is problematic as it means the auto traffic would lose one of its two lanes on the Captree to RM bridge and I would seriously doubt the DOT would do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.