Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Did I damage my new carbon frame ?!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-23-21, 08:06 PM
Mosman12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi everyone , I bought a new cervelo carbon frame and I asked a friend to come help me build it. All went good except when he was checking the crank, he decided to give it a spin real hard to check the new bottom bracket and he was holding an Allen key and he hit the down side of the chainstay with A LOT of force and a loud bang. A moment of silence as we expected the worse.

there was a small paint chip, as I can see, not sure if it is a crack or not. I was a bit nervous so I started the tap test and exactly on this paint chip/the part the Allen key hit, the sound is different and a little bit faint without loud pitch like both areas next to it .

I attached a picture and a video. Unfortunately where I live no one can check the carbon for structural integrity. I feel awful that the bike is brand new with zero miles on it and the chainstay might have been compromised. Anyone who can shed some light or any suggestions would be really helpful.

thanks

Last edited by Mosman12; 06-23-21 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-23-21, 08:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Bummer.
Old 06-23-21, 08:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
maybe these guys can do some thing remote? https://ruckuscomp.com/

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-23-21, 09:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
1) Your 'friend' is an idiot.
2) That looks like nothing more than a paint chip. I'd want to tap it a little harder, maybe w/ a 5 or 6mm wrench to see how it sounds.

I think at this point I'd ride it and keep a close eye on it.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-23-21, 11:36 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Carbon is not as fragile as some folks think.
Old 06-24-21, 12:29 AM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
maybe these guys can do some thing remote? https://ruckuscomp.com/
thanks will email them and see if they can give advice

Originally Posted by cxwrench
1) Your 'friend' is an idiot.
2) That looks like nothing more than a paint chip. I'd want to tap it a little harder, maybe w/ a 5 or 6mm wrench to see how it sounds.

I think at this point I'd ride it and keep a close eye on it.
He is not my friend anymore.

I tried with a 5mm and the sound seems more uniform, when I use the smaller wrench it happens exactly on the paint chip, dull/dead sound.

it’s my first carbon bike and honestly I am hesitated to ride it with the horror stories that I read online. I don’t know what to expect and if this chip is something or nothing.

Originally Posted by Badger6
Carbon is not as fragile as some folks think.
I am not sure if it is as fragile or not. But what I witnessed is scaring me, especially after the tap test, which seems that a tiny area has already been compromised at least.
Old 06-24-21, 01:40 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to ride that frame for a second. I've crashed my TT bike at speed a couple of times and it's still solid as a rock - I was far more damaged than my bike lol . You can always take it down to the LBS and have them check it out if you're really concerned. I doubt they have an x-ray in the shop but they might know where to send it, at least.
Old 06-24-21, 01:41 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosman12
I am not sure if it is as fragile or not. But what I witnessed is scaring me, especially after the tap test, which seems that a tiny area has already been compromised at least.
I am sure. It's not "bulletproof", but I'd ride that without any concerns...the forces required to damage the carbon structure in such a way that it would be compromised in that place aren't possible with what you guys were doing. The chain stays are quite robust, because they have to be, especially on the drive side. So, maybe better stated, "Carbon frames are not fragile." Good luck.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 06-24-21, 02:04 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I am hesitated to ride it with the horror stories that I read online.
So stop reading the horror stories, the authors' only care for your likes not your life. Look at the stories this way - how many cyclists die on the road every year through all kinds of accidents? Does this stop you wanting to ride? Does this instead encourage you to be vigilant?

Keep an eye on the area of the chip and how the bike feels while you are riding it. Be vigilant, rather than the puppet of someone else's clickbait campaign.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 06-24-21, 07:39 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
An allen key held in the hand is unlikely to damage a frame. Imagine the rocks and debris that should be expected to come flying at the downtube during normal use.

When I first read the story of two people working on a bike and one spinning the crank I got nervous for the outcome, because even a crack in a carbon frame (which does not seem to be the case here) is a lot less painful than a hand caught in spokes of a spinning wheel, or between a chain and the teeth of a chainring of a spinning drivetrain.

If there had been an 8mm allen key sticking out the back of one of the crank arms, like to install a pedal, could also cause real damage to the frame. As it is, I don't think there is much to worry about.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-24-21, 08:20 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
There is obviously nothing wrong with the frame. But perhaps Carbon is not the material for you and you should sell the bike. If this small mark is enough for you to question the frame, lose a friend and reach out to both these forums as well as a carbon repair firm you will never feel comfortable on a carbon bike. Steel adventure bike may be a way to go, very robust and fun to ride.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-24-21, 09:21 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Ride it .....IMO It's just a chip...nothing more nothing less.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 06-24-21, 11:02 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
When your buddy hit the chain stay, did he break his fingers

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 06-24-21 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-24-21, 11:50 AM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Another vote for “It’s fine, no worries”
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 06-24-21, 12:34 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
The stick was to light to prove anything.
Likes For blamester:
Old 06-24-21, 12:45 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
I don't see anything and I don't hear anything....you call that tapping?
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-24-21, 04:20 PM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
An allen key held in the hand is unlikely to damage a frame. Imagine the rocks and debris that should be expected to come flying at the downtube during normal use.

When I first read the story of two people working on a bike and one spinning the crank I got nervous for the outcome, because even a crack in a carbon frame (which does not seem to be the case here) is a lot less painful than a hand caught in spokes of a spinning wheel, or between a chain and the teeth of a chainring of a spinning drivetrain.

If there had been an 8mm allen key sticking out the back of one of the crank arms, like to install a pedal, could also cause real damage to the frame. As it is, I don't think there is much to worry about.
we were installing the bbinfinte bb and the crank was in the bottom bracket without a chain , free spinning. This why he hit the frame with huge force as there was no resistance and he didn’t notice that the Allen key would catch the chainstay. What worries me is that just the tip of the Allen key hit this small area with a fairly big force.

it’s my first carbon bike and don’t know what to expect as far as how can carbon hold to crashes or forces.
Old 06-24-21, 04:26 PM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Ride it .....IMO It's just a chip...nothing more nothing less.
Originally Posted by Barry2
When your buddy hit the chain stay, did he break his fingers

Barry
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Another vote for “It’s fine, no worries”
Originally Posted by blamester
The stick was to light to prove anything.
Originally Posted by trailangel
I don't see anything and I don't hear anything....you call that tapping?

Since the majority is encouraging me to ride it and keep an eye from time to time on the area. I will do so until an issue arises, hopefully nothing will happen.

It’s my first full carbon bike and I don’t know how carbon reacts in crashes or forces applied to it, and when he hit it hard and there was a loud bang like hitting with a hammer we only expected it to crack that’s why I am worried as I don’t have expectation how carbon holds up.
Old 06-24-21, 04:26 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
+1 for just ride it.
Old 06-24-21, 06:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
He is not my friend anymore.
Seriously? Because of a tiny chip on your bike that is no worse than a rock chip from road debris?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-24-21, 07:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Since the majority is encouraging me to ride it and keep an eye from time to time on the area. I will do so until an issue arises, hopefully nothing will happen.

It’s my first full carbon bike and I don’t know how carbon reacts in crashes or forces applied to it, and when he hit it hard and there was a loud bang like hitting with a hammer we only expected it to crack that’s why I am worried as I don’t have expectation how carbon holds up.
As mentioned earlier, sell the bike now as it is in new condition and given the marketplace probably get all your money back. Your reaction over a tiny paint chip in the most durable part of the bike means you will never be at ease. Things are going to happen if you decide to ride it, perhaps another friend may lean their bike against yours or accidentally bump it when leaning on something. Carbon is not for everyone, such deep seated anxiety over its durability would just take the fun out of it for you.
Old 06-25-21, 01:54 AM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Seriously? Because of a tiny chip on your bike that is no worse than a rock chip from road debris?
come on I was just joking !!! I wouldn’t lose him over anything.

I really don’t care about the paint chip at all even the bike is new. My concern was only and only the integrity of the carbon structure as the amount of force was so high when he hit the chainstay , imagine spinning a crankset without a chain to check how many rotation it can go till it stop (bearing test), and you didn’t think that the tool in your hand will hit the bike, he give it all his force that’s why I am worried not a simple paint chip , it’s a bike and it will get chips and scratches and I can live with that.
Old 06-25-21, 02:02 AM
Mosman12

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
As mentioned earlier, sell the bike now as it is in new condition and given the marketplace probably get all your money back. Your reaction over a tiny paint chip in the most durable part of the bike means you will never be at ease. Things are going to happen if you decide to ride it, perhaps another friend may lean their bike against yours or accidentally bump it when leaning on something. Carbon is not for everyone, such deep seated anxiety over its durability would just take the fun out of it for you.
again, my reaction wasn’t over a tiny paint chip. If it is purely cosmetic I don’t care even the bike is new. My concern was over the blunt force he hit the chainstay with , and what have happened beyond the chip to the chainstay carbon integrity at this spot. As it is my first carbon bike, the amount of force I’ve seen would definitely dent an aluminum tube so I didn’t know what to expect from a carbon one !
Likes For Mosman12:
Old 06-25-21, 05:10 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
again, my reaction wasn’t over a tiny paint chip. If it is purely cosmetic I don’t care even the bike is new. My concern was over the blunt force he hit the chainstay with , and what have happened beyond the chip to the chainstay carbon integrity at this spot. As it is my first carbon bike, the amount of force I’ve seen would definitely dent an aluminum tube so I didn’t know what to expect from a carbon one !
You got a fright. Thats o.k but you gotta think clearly.
In a area like that tapping won't tell you a lot.
Sit on the bike bounce up and down on the pedals and saddle. See shat happens.
Take it for a slow spin bouncing up and down on it.
If you think about it carbon can't be that delicate or it would be useless.
Bikes fall, get knocked, hit potholes and kerbs.
The bike manufacturer knows that.
Likes For blamester:
Old 06-25-21, 07:14 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Relax and invite your friend for a beer ride. I have quite a few chips like that (or worse) on my road bike and you will too if you ride yours enough. Mines been through a couple minor crashes, knocked down several times while parked and bent the hanger twice. Lots of gravel chips too but my new gravel bike is carbon for that purpose Some repair shops recommend covering chips in clear acrylic nail polish or a dab of epoxy to seal water out. I’ve ridden carbon enough years to no longer worry.
Likes For veloz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.