Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Discovered HMB about 10 days ago

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Discovered HMB about 10 days ago

Old 12-06-21, 08:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I should mention that HMB tastes like something died in your water glass yesterday.
Well, butyric acid is what gives rancid butter its distinctive odor, so it wouldn't surprise me if hydroxymethylbutyrate shares some of that characteristic.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-07-21, 08:17 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Ok , I read most of the papers and decided to give it a try.
I will be 71 in a couple of weeks. I experienced a drop off when I was 65 and have slowly been declining
in performance.
I have embarked on my most serious winter training program ever, getting a smart trainer
and have been riding it six days a week.So far I am enjoying it. Trying to get back the fitness I had before the weather went south.
I found a Nutricost brand on amazon that they delivered in less than a day.
The company is actually about fifteen miles down the road from me in Vineyard Utah.
I am only two grams in, so no opinions on it yet.
Would like to get a little faster and have the desire to climb more and do longer events again.
Old 12-07-21, 09:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
Ok , I read most of the papers and decided to give it a try.
I will be 71 in a couple of weeks. I experienced a drop off when I was 65 and have slowly been declining
in performance.
I have embarked on my most serious winter training program ever, getting a smart trainer
and have been riding it six days a week.So far I am enjoying it. Trying to get back the fitness I had before the weather went south.
I found a Nutricost brand on amazon that they delivered in less than a day.
The company is actually about fifteen miles down the road from me in Vineyard Utah.
I am only two grams in, so no opinions on it yet.
Would like to get a little faster and have the desire to climb more and do longer events again.
There's been some talk about reporting results. I have some results I suppose, but also a caution. I have made two supplement changes: I've increased my whey protein in med-September and then added HMB in early November. In both cases I had super results right away and then the super results seemed to fade away. Going back over my records, I see that what happened in each case was that I was able to increase my weekly training volume.

The effect of ramping up my training meant that I still felt tired between sessions! Duh. However I've gone from no week-to-week increase in total workload to a 7.5% increase per week. During my fall training, my practice had been to increase the load between 5% and 8% per week. That is until about 3 years ago, when that didn't work anymore. So keep that in mind as you evaluate what you're doing. At the heart of being able to do more is that when I get on the bike with tired legs now, I can actually do something. Maybe not as much as I used to do, but something.

I expect to plateau, maybe in January, just because of it being winter here with limited outdoor riding and limited enthusiasm for long indoor rides. Then I hope to pick it up again when things dry out a bit. Also peak season is a long way off and I don't want to burn out.
Old 12-08-21, 08:03 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm only 59 but I have noticed drop-offs in performance and recovery over the last couple of years. When Zwifting, I find that trying for a PR on the Alpe du Zwift or Ven-Top, or doing a metric century around Watopia, can leave me feeling it for several days after even if I increase my protein intake somewhat. I hadn't heard of HMB but it does look promising. I'm in the camp that as long as it's safe, it can't hurt to try it. I use the Nutricost brand for some other supplements so, like Skullo, I will be ordering theirs from Amazon and hoping for some positive results
Old 12-09-21, 12:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by TennBent
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm only 59 but I have noticed drop-offs in performance and recovery over the last couple of years. When Zwifting, I find that trying for a PR on the Alpe du Zwift or Ven-Top, or doing a metric century around Watopia, can leave me feeling it for several days after even if I increase my protein intake somewhat. I hadn't heard of HMB but it does look promising. I'm in the camp that as long as it's safe, it can't hurt to try it. I use the Nutricost brand for some other supplements so, like Skullo, I will be ordering theirs from Amazon and hoping for some positive results
Since you are also a ZWIFTer, please do a FTP test (I did my first one today - the 20 min version) to establish a baseline when you are well rested. Then after two or three months, take another and compare results.

From what I read, it takes some time for HMB to become effective. Please post your results.

Old 12-09-21, 04:27 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I'm wondering what a reputable source would be for this, or other supplements. That industry is unregulated, and I feel like I'm buying a pig in a poke.
Old 12-09-21, 06:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by adamrice
I'm wondering what a reputable source would be for this, or other supplements. That industry is unregulated, and I feel like I'm buying a pig in a poke.
I have purchased HMB from 2 sources, 250g from Nutricost and 500g from Bulksupplements. You can go online and read their attestations. Regardless of those, both purchases taste and smell the same and seem to have the same effect. This supplement has been very widely used in the bodybuilding community for years and I suspect that it is what they say it is. If it were contaminated, I think that would have also been discovered since testing is now so widespread with positives seldom reported. HMB is not a banned substance.
Old 12-09-21, 08:40 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Not enough data to give a real report yet.I have only used three days , two grams twice and one gram today.
I felt a little tired today and my numbers were a little lower.I think this was because I have ridden the trainer pretty hard
seven days in a row.I will rest a day.
I use the Nutricost brand and its cheaper from amazon and if you have prime no additional shipping.
I was browsing the latest "how much protein" thread and saw something at a link that said people with a history
of kidney stones should be careful with calcium supplements.There are 140 mg of calcium per gram of HMB.
I have passed two stones in my life, and they where nineteen years apart so I do not think I am what they call a stone former.
But this info has gotten my attention.I do suffer from gout, so it likely a uric acid stone and not a calcium stone.
My gout is well controlled by medication and acute episodes are rare.
The first stone back in year 2000 went down the toilet so could not be analyzed .
I still have the one from two years ago, never sent it in for testing.
I found a lab that will do testing direct to individuals so I believe I will be
limiting the HMB until I know more.
Don't mean to make this a Pills n Ills thread , but this needs to be considered if you are prone to stones
and are thinking of using this supplement.
Old 12-12-21, 02:10 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
[QUOTE=Skullo;22335000]Not enough data to give a real report yet.I have only used three days , two grams twice and one gram today.
I felt a little tired today and my numbers were a little lower.I think this was because I have ridden the trainer pretty hard
I use the Nutricost brand and its cheaper from amazon and if you have prime no additional shipping.
I was browsing the latest "how much protein" thread and saw something at a link that said people with a history
of kidney stones should be careful with calcium supplements.There are 140 mg of calcium per gram of HMB.

For what's worth (from a previous post)
I was taking a high quality protein after my rides and gym workout (about 50 gr) a shot. After taking these doses of protein powder I ended up with a kidney stone that need a operation to be removed. Simple operation, but a lot of pain prior to the removal. It could be just a coincidence, but after discussing this with the urologist he mentioned that is quite likely that the protein powder could have an ingredient that would cause a kidney stone.
Since then I'm reluctant to using protein powder, and rely on protein from my diet.
The urologist who removed the stone mentioned that is was most likely from uric acid. These stones seem to be like sea urchins and grab onto the urinary track, and don't slide down easily.
So I am reluctant at this moment in using HMB.
Old 12-12-21, 04:28 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

“The urologist who removed the stone mentioned that is was most likely from uric acid.”

Yes a high protein diet can significantly raise uric acid levels. Gout sufferers are to refrain from foods high in protein like organ meat or too much red meat.
I have never used protein powders.
Your urologist has a good idea from looking at it ,as to what likely caused the stone.
You would likely be ok with calcium supplements.
I am sending my stone to the lab to find out for sure.
Any one who has passed a stone does not want any more.
Old 12-12-21, 05:15 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
“.
Any one who has passed a stone does not want any more.
I passed 5 in one year while on a medication - Tegretol. Previously passed several. The first time, I was in Pueblo, CO in my 30's, researching for my doctorate. I walked and walked - couldn't sit down. Have not had any for many years.
Old 12-12-21, 10:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Not enough data to give a real report yet.I have only used three days , two grams twice and one gram today.
I have passed two stones in my life, and they where nineteen years apart so I do not think I am what they call a stone former.
But this info has gotten my attention.I do suffer from gout, so it likely a uric acid stone and not a calcium stone.
My gout is well controlled by medication and acute episodes are rare.
The first stone back in year 2000 went down the toilet so could not be analyzed .
I still have the one from two years ago, never sent it in for testing.
I found a lab that will do testing direct to individuals so I believe I will be
limiting the HMB until I know more.
Don't mean to make this a Pills n Ills thread , but this needs to be considered if you are prone to stones
and are thinking of using this supplement.
Stone production is complicated and also rare in healthy individuals. After a couple hours with the google, the most authoritative piece I found on it is here: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...stones_prevent

I've been eating a Med diet for 50 years and using whey protein daily since ~1998 with no problems. For the past several years I've been supplementing with calcium citrate in the morning and magnesium citrate in the evening. Citrate is an effective preventative for the uric acid type of kidney stone. As the above article says, don't be afraid of calcium. It's good for you. I take 650mg of calcium citrate before every sweaty workout and 200mg magnesium glycinate after.
Old 12-13-21, 09:08 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Stone production is complicated and also rare in healthy individuals. After a couple hours with the google, the most authoritative piece I found on it is here: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...stones_prevent

I've been eating a Med diet for 50 years and using whey protein daily since ~1998 with no problems. For the past several years I've been supplementing with calcium citrate in the morning and magnesium citrate in the evening. Citrate is an effective preventative for the uric acid type of kidney stone. As the above article says, don't be afraid of calcium. It's good for you. I take 650mg of calcium citrate before every sweaty workout and 200mg magnesium glycinate after.
Thanks for the link very interesting stuff. I had been to that kidney site last week but did not see this.
A question, do you have a recent blood calcium test? I just reviewed mine from two months ago and it is at 10.0.It has been creeping up from 9.5 to 9.9 and now 10.0. 10.5 is the high end of normal I read
.My GP wants me to do the bone density , DEXA scan to get a baseline.He never mentioned my calcium level.I have been balking at going inside medical facilities for anything.I will probably do the bone scan In February.Maybe I will do a video appointment about calcium supplements. My uneducated interpretation of the blood test tells me I have enough and sure don't know if this HMB will raise it to an unhealthy level.
Old 12-13-21, 11:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Thanks for the link very interesting stuff. I had been to that kidney site last week but did not see this.
A question, do you have a recent blood calcium test? I just reviewed mine from two months ago and it is at 10.0.It has been creeping up from 9.5 to 9.9 and now 10.0. 10.5 is the high end of normal I read
.My GP wants me to do the bone density , DEXA scan to get a baseline.He never mentioned my calcium level.I have been balking at going inside medical facilities for anything.I will probably do the bone scan In February.Maybe I will do a video appointment about calcium supplements. My uneducated interpretation of the blood test tells me I have enough and sure don't know if this HMB will raise it to an unhealthy level.
Mine was 8.8 when last checked. High calcium levels can have many causes. See a doctor is you're worried. Good idea to get a DEXA scan as that calcium can be coming from your bones, just one possibility out of many.
Old 12-23-21, 10:21 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for posting CFB. I'm still young at 70. I'll look into this and ask my pharmacist wife too. The only supplement I've ever found to be pretty much universally supported by the medical community is collagen peptides. I've been adding this to my mid-day smoothie for the last year and take it on faith that it's providing some long term benefit. If there are no contraindications to taking HMB, I could easily work it into my diet. I've lost over 20 lbs in the last 10 months by cutting out junk and 1. only coffee for breakfast (gives me about a 15+ hour fasting), 2. a smoothie for lunch (yogurt, almond milk, bananas, blueberries, spinach, whey protein, psyllium fiber, oat bran and collagen peptides), and 3. a normal, healthy supper. A good thread may be smoothie recipes, if it hasn't been done already.
Likes For Terex:
Old 12-23-21, 11:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Terex
Thanks for posting CFB. I'm still young at 70. I'll look into this and ask my pharmacist wife too. The only supplement I've ever found to be pretty much universally supported by the medical community is collagen peptides. I've been adding this to my mid-day smoothie for the last year and take it on faith that it's providing some long term benefit. If there are no contraindications to taking HMB, I could easily work it into my diet. I've lost over 20 lbs in the last 10 months by cutting out junk and 1. only coffee for breakfast (gives me about a 15+ hour fasting), 2. a smoothie for lunch (yogurt, almond milk, bananas, blueberries, spinach, whey protein, psyllium fiber, oat bran and collagen peptides), and 3. a normal, healthy supper. A good thread may be smoothie recipes, if it hasn't been done already.
What is the collagen supposed to do for you? I know it's widely accepted as being helpful for wound healing.
Old 12-23-21, 11:25 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It promotes bone and skin health, possibly maintains connective tissue in general. No downsides identified other than cost.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...older-adults#1
Old 12-24-21, 06:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Something else one can do with HMB: improve the function of your endothelium: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740211/

Vascular endothelial function declines with advancing age, due in part to increased oxidative stress and inflammation, and this age-related vascular dysfunction has been identified as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular diseases (CVD). This double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigated the effects of a dietary supplement containing β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate (HMB), glutamine, and arginine on endothelial-dependent vasodilation of older adults.
I'm on it.
Old 12-28-21, 11:23 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Found this article from the National Institute of Health interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740211/

the percentage concentrations were relatively low.

Old 12-28-21, 01:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rsbob
Found this article from the National Institute of Health interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740211/

the percentage concentrations were relatively low.
See post 43.
Old 12-29-21, 12:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

See post 43.
OK, I’m a moron. Good to see others are doing their do-diligence.

Old 12-29-21, 09:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

So this morning, my resting HR was 47 and my standing-resting HR was 53. I'm back.
Old 12-29-21, 10:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Decided to join the test. Ordered HMB and a chocolate protein powder to wash it down with. Stay tuned. Just basedlined my FTP a couple of weeks ago.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-08-22, 06:52 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
One more participant has signed up for this "study". I am finding the stuff dissolves easily in a touch of warm water, and doesn't taste that bad at all. Doing 1.5g 2x per day currently, that seems like a standard dose. I am including some arginine and glutamine as per that last study, but I don't really think they are needed.. the body normally gets plenty of those amino acids from foods.

Looking forward to reports from everyone. I talked with my doc and she is somewhat skeptical but still encourages me to try it out.. there should be no ill effects to be concerned with since it is naturally made by the body, more like ~.5g/day made naturally. Doses up to 6g/day seem to be OK. Doc's primary concern was the source; she gave the green light to bulksupplements.com which is what I am using, also Nutricost is reliable according to her.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 01-14-22, 07:01 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I have been using HMB for the past two weeks now, thanks to this thread. In the winter I lift 3-4 times a week, full upper body workout in a home gym. All free-weights, no access to machines.
Prior to the introduction of HMB into the daily diet I was sore most every day and had to get extra motivated to lift each time. After just a week I felt a difference and can now say after 2 weeks I am not sore like I had been and am able to walk up to the weights and lift without hesitation. This stuff seems to be working as claimed. Will start riding indoors soon and am curious if it will make a difference.

I mix it in with a teaspoon of turmeric every morning and am unable to taste it outside of the turmeric.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.