Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Should I Own a Mountain Bike?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-31-22, 01:10 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts

No, seriously. A couple of nice MTBs popped up in the local classifieds recently and I was tempted. I've always been extremely curious about this whole mountain biking thing, and my brother-in-law, an avid mountain biker, tried - and then stopped trying - to get me into the fold, but I kept balking for various reasons - cost, logistics, my lack of fitness (or is it poor mental fortitude? )

So the question I'm really as is, would actually physically owning a mountain bike encourage me to at least try out the sport, or would I just be throwing away good money after bad?

(PS or I could just spend the money to get my motorcycle license and get me my first motorcycle, which I've been wanting to do for, like, ever!)

Last edited by sjanzeir; 10-31-22 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-31-22, 02:16 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
It depends. Riding trails is a lot of fun, but not everyone likes it. Only you can say. I think it is a blast. With a used bike you can try it and sell the bike for what you paid if it isn't for you.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-31-22, 02:36 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Any chance of borrowing your brother-in-law's mtn. bike to see if you like mtn.biking? Or are there any bike shops that rent bikes, or someone that would let you try their bike? Personally, I don't see how anyone would not like mtn biking-you can go from mild to wild, doesn't have to be extreme. But I do know a few who don't care for it at all.

Last edited by freeranger; 10-31-22 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 10-31-22, 03:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
There's a learning curve to riding certain kinds of trails, if you think you might want to try single track stuff. One major reason I mt. bike is its harder to motivate for a road ride when its 35 degrees and windy. Thats my comfort point on the road. On a mt. bike you are usually moving slower (10 mph vs. 18), so less wind factor, you are in the woods, so less wind there. Can comfortably mt. bike at 15 degrees or so, so I've now extended my riding season.

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-31-22 at 04:14 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-31-22, 03:58 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Well, to be honest, MTBing and I did not get off to a good start. Way back in July 2016, the same brother-in-law lent me an X-caliber 9 and took me out to a group ride and a race across some hills to the east of Jeddah; only he neglected to tell me that the front brake was faulty, and I neglected to test ride the rig before starting out. On the first steep descent I came barreling down, I lost control of my speed, eventually ditching and crashing down onto my tush. For months, I had a third butt cheek to show for it.

But it was that incident that got me even more curious about MTBing, and the episode went a long way in getting me to shape up my regular riding. I had already figured at the time that I would've had a steep learning curve to grapple with, but it was on that day that I realized just how steep the curve was.

Would he lend me that X-caliber 9 again for a second chance to see if I'd fare better? I'll definitely ask him that the next time I see him! But there's no shortage of barely-used Marlin 7's (and lesser Marlins) in my size in the classifieds, along with a few older 3700s and the like!
Old 10-31-22, 04:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Yes the formula is N+1 and is scientifically formulated so you know it is correct. It is good to own one of everything I think or at least most stuff.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-31-22, 04:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Well, to be honest, MTBing and I did not get off to a good start. Way back in July 2016, the same brother-in-law lent me an X-caliber 9 and took me out to a group ride and a race across some hills to the east of Jeddah; only he neglected to tell me that the front brake was faulty, and I neglected to test ride the rig before starting out. On the first steep descent I came barreling down, I lost control of my speed, eventually ditching and crashing down onto my tush. For months, I had a third butt cheek to show for it.

But it was that incident that got me even more curious about MTBing, and the episode went a long way in getting me to shape up my regular riding. I had already figured at the time that I would've had a steep learning curve to grapple with, but it was on that day that I realized just how steep the curve was.

Would he lend me that X-caliber 9 again for a second chance to see if I'd fare better? I'll definitely ask him that the next time I see him! But there's no shortage of barely-used Marlin 7's (and lesser Marlins) in my size in the classifieds, along with a few older 3700s and the like!
You need to be riding easy dual track and easy single track at best. You need time to learn the bike, how it handles and brakes. Maybe join a beginner ride with a local mt. bike club, our club does these every first Sunday at local parks with beginner trails. Having somebody teach and demonstrate riding concepts is key. There are skills that get used for turning, braking, descending, etc.... that you want to know before you get over your head and get hurt.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-31-22, 05:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Definitely get a MTB, and learn how to ride it. It will make you a better bike rider. MTB'ing is a skill set to be built slowly, and skills should be practiced in areas that are less likely to cause significant injury. YouTube is full of videos demonstrating skills for every level. As with ANY bike, a properly operating machine is critical for your safety.
Old 10-31-22, 05:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Yes... And a Gravel, Road, Touring, Bent, Tandem, E, Trike, bike... Sure...

No really... Considering what it costs now days I would agree it best to borrow a basic Mountain bike and give it a try first...
Old 11-02-22, 05:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Sounds like you got a bad intro to the sport.

Do some easy stuff first. Heck, some people never get into the gnarly stuff and still enjoy it for a lifetime. Its just awesome to ride a bike in the woods.

Get your own bike that fits and works well, and go with people who know how to ride with a beginner…. Or use Trailforks or MTB Project to find easy trails and go by yourself and take your time.

Being out in nature and no cars…. What’s not to love?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-02-22, 08:57 AM
staehpj1

Way better to bave a bike you know and are used to. Ride it on some easy trail at an easy pace first. If it is one on loan that is okay, but you should be well acquainted with it and it should be in good working order. Then progress at your own pace. That may be fast or slow.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-02-22, 09:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
getting a MTB is one thing, racing downhill is another thing. you don't have to ride like he does, or even with him. I really enjoy being away from auto traffic
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-02-22, 03:14 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
A good hardtail bike is good to have. It can be anything you want it to be and you can find your I wn adventures. Anything from single-track to rails trail, commuting around town or touring.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 11-02-22, 10:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I can't really relate. In forty or so years of riding a bike I think I've had a mountain bike for nearly all of them. Excepting the first three or four years on a BMX, and the last two years of college when one broke down and I couldn't afford the next yet.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-03-22, 08:38 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 221 Posts
I really enjoy singletrack as it is a change of pace and scenery for me. I did a couple singletrack rides on my Quick 1 but it felt out of place to me. I picked up an old Hardrock, made some upgrades, and had fun riding with my daughter. Minimal cash outlay got me a solid bike and hours of fun. It was a bit small for me so I gifted it to a work friend after finding an old Specialized M2.

Do you need a mountain bike? There's a fine line between need and want...
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 11-07-22, 12:08 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
I find a mountain bike good for all-around riding. You can ride on trails or pavement, dirt roads and grassy parks. The gearing range is usually enough to get up steep climbs without getting out of the saddle, the bigger tires and suspension soak up bumps and bad pavement, you can ride over curbs and even down stairs. They are durable, and very reasonable nowadays.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 11-07-22, 02:16 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
I am primarily a road/endurance rider and have never had much interest in MTB…… until now. The area I live in is pure suicide for road riding but is a MTB mecca. The wife and I became tired of driving an hour or more to ride road bikes so bought a pair of Specialized Rockhoppers to increase our riding opportunities. Damn if we aren’t having a blast and feeling stupid for not done this long ago.
Endurance riding is still my passion but now I’m riding much more.
Old 11-07-22, 04:04 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I find a mountain bike good for all-around riding. You can ride on trails or pavement, dirt roads and grassy parks. The gearing range is usually enough to get up steep climbs without getting out of the saddle, the bigger tires and suspension soak up bumps and bad pavement, you can ride over curbs and even down stairs. They are durable, and very reasonable nowadays.
Yeah, if you don't feel the need for performance road riding a MTB can be an all surface ride. After doing a mixed surface on/off road tour on my rigid MTB I realized that I liked it a lot better than a touring bike even on pavement. Don't get me wrong, I loved to ride my road bike, but I don't mind hopping on a MTB to run errands.

These days I hit the trails every day for a dose of single track and haven't been on the road bike in months.

Then there are gravel bikes... but they are another story.
Old 11-07-22, 08:37 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Then there are gravel bikes... but they are another story.
A bit of a detour (pun intended,) but I'm actually interested in this one! It looks ripe for some mods and upgrades!

Last edited by sjanzeir; 11-07-22 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-07-22, 10:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I wouldn't mod or upgrade parts on that bike. I would leave it alone and find something that has parts you are looking for. That bike is designed to be a very low initial cost internet bike. Low quality parts on a low quality frame fine for the occasional rider or someone looking to purchase a bike to get stolen but nothing worth putting much money into aside from maybe small low cost stuff to keep it running till I can get the bike I wanted.
Old 11-07-22, 10:34 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

I get what you're saying, but I was thinking more along the lines of stuff off of Ali and his 40 Thieves over in the Big Red Land - things like a knockoff Hollowtech crankset and 11-speed L-twoo shifter/RD... that kind of stuff (I've been running those exact parts on one of my folding bikes for months now without issue.) The only thing I'd happily splash out on is the brakes - MT401/MT420 at the very least. There's no way I'm going to turn this into some epic YouTube dream build - it'd just be something to customize and enjoy as one's own.

With that being said, I'm far from pulling the trigger on any bike right now; I'm about to do some major repairs to the Old Girl.
Old 11-08-22, 10:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

That is even worse! Using knockoff parts and supporting that industry is just bad. Just because they or their government aren't controlling things doesn't mean we should support them. I would be great if Winnie the Pooh would do something about it but I doubt that is ever going to happen he has his hands deep in shady stuff.

What's wrong with having a dream build? Dream builds can be quite fun, expensive but well worth it especially if you plan on riding it often. My current commuter is a dream build (or close to it my dream doesn't fit the size and shape of titanium bicycle tubing) and I have put 3600 miles in a under a year and a half and can't wait to add more. Still have some stuff I want to do to it but most of it is again sort of out of currently made items.

If you know what you want in a bike do it! Splash the cash as you said. If you were just starting out I might say hold off but I think by now you know what you want so go for it. Don't do some low end knockoff but get the real deal and build it how you want it or buy it with the specs you want.
Old 11-08-22, 11:52 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Dude!

Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 11-08-22, 02:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The dude abides. Probably my favorite movie!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-09-22, 07:07 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Okay, now that Walter is just having his coffee, hear me out! On my Dahon folder - which is my daily rider and my most ridden bike - I've been running a Chinese, no-brand, Hollowtech II knockoff crankset for a while now. I originally intended for this to be a test run before I splash out on a real, actual Shimano deal (which I had already done just recently with one of my 7.6s, and it wasn't exactly plain sailing.) Problem is, this thing has been so smooth and reliable that I'm not in too much if a hurry to replace it with a real Shimano! The same bike came with a rebranded (with the Dahon logo) L-twoo A7 RD and shifter, and the, too worked with nary a hitch for the year and a half that they were on the bike, and when I upgraded to 11-speed I went with an L-twoo A9 and it's been a total workhorse so far.

Mind you, those are the only "Chineeze" components in that upgrade! The chainring is a Wolf Tooth; the cassette is a Sunrace ; and the chain is either a KMC or a Wippermann - I forget which one it is. Everything else on the Dahon is a brand-name item.

So, yeah, I will eventually replace that crankset and bottom bracket with the real deal - it's just that I'm not in a hurry to do it. Politics aside, would I be willing to go for a Chinese component in a pinch? I have little reason not to!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.