Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Five Ten Kestrel Lace Up Shoes and ankle pain

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-13-22, 04:07 PM
Nomad2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Five Ten Kestrel lace up shoes. My wife bought a pair a while ago (over a year). She put them aside and continued to use her old shoes (which are a different brand and were no longer available).

She has now finally started using her new shoes and found that whenever she puts in significant pedalling effort she gets pain in her malleolus (ankle). The shoes themselves seem to be designed to cover this area (protection?) but her ankle is copping pressure from the side of the shoe all the time. Trying a shoe on in a shop is one thing. Riding with it is another. All reviews of the shoe seem positive so it seems strange they are so uncomfortable when otherwise they fit her perfectly. She has used them now for a couple of weeks and doubt it is a breaking in issue. Any advice or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-22, 02:26 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad2
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Five Ten Kestrel lace up shoes. My wife bought a pair a while ago (over a year). She put them aside and continued to use her old shoes (which are a different brand and were no longer available).

She has now finally started using her new shoes and found that whenever she puts in significant pedalling effort she gets pain in her malleolus (ankle). The shoes themselves seem to be designed to cover this area (protection?) but her ankle is copping pressure from the side of the shoe all the time. Trying a shoe on in a shop is one thing. Riding with it is another. All reviews of the shoe seem positive so it seems strange they are so uncomfortable when otherwise they fit her perfectly. She has used them now for a couple of weeks and doubt it is a breaking in issue. Any advice or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
Curious where her pain is. Mine is lateral on the ankle.

Ive logged a lot of miles in Freeriders this year and my ankle hurts. I had some previous stuff going on with that ankle but it’s definitely worse lately. I can’t pin the blame on riding or the shoes, but maybe?