Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

homeless and carless

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

homeless and carless

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 03:13 PM
mrbike27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
living with jus a bike

is it possible to living without a home and a car and ONLY have a bicycle with just the clothes on your back. i thaught about trying this experment by just traveling to work and around on just a bicycle for a month to see how much money i would save not worying about bills. i realize i will have to sleep in a storage bin and bathe wearever
Old 08-21-07, 03:15 PM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
sure it is. head to "living car free" for how. I did it for much of my college career. Living now "car-lite" - own a car but only use it once a week or so
Cheers
Old 08-21-07, 03:23 PM
mrbike27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
homeless and carless

how long would someone last in this kind of spot. all you have is your bike and clothes on your back. just biking to work and back to whereever. i am gonna try this for a month to see how much money i can save while not paying bills.
Old 08-21-07, 03:24 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbike27
is it possible to living without a home and a car and ONLY have a bicycle with just the clothes on your back. i thaught about trying this experment by just traveling to work and around on just a bicycle for a month to see how much money i would save not worying about bills. i realize i will have to sleep in a storage bin and bathe wearever
If you poke around on kenkifer.com, you can find places where he describes such lifestyle. You might try some of the touring sections, where he describes styles or types of bicycle touring.

If you get some racks and panniers, you can just be on tour. You can pick up basic supplies at thrift shops and garage sales. I just bought a down sleeping bag plus a tent, both in fine condition, for ten bucks. I've also found water filters, cooking utensils and many other useful items, all priced very reasonably.

It makes sense to spend some (it can be very few) dollars on a touring setup. That way you don't have to sleep in dust bins, etc., and you aren't so much at the mercy of weather.

You might find some helpful threads on the touring subforum.

(However, most people there spend a lot more money.)

You could try posting on the touring forum -- find out there what to get for a very basic touring setup, and how to do it inexpensively.... You might get some useful tips.
Old 08-21-07, 03:28 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure to drink lots of wine and don't bathe for full-effect. Your fixed expenses will remain in place, so you'll save far less money than you think.
Old 08-21-07, 03:28 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
it would probably be wise to get a membership at a local YMCA. that way you can shower, shave, use the bathrooms, etc.

you can use landromats to wash your clothes.

can you keep stuff at work?
Old 08-21-07, 03:30 PM
mrbike27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont drink sorry. im doing it just to save any amount i can. if i have to ill live in the woods in a lean-to
Old 08-21-07, 03:41 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to check the touring forums they have experience living off a bike even if it is only a short time. I think there are a couple people out there that have been touring for years that aren't on the forum but that is their life now. They don't even go to work This guy just started https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1158&v=BO

I'd think food/clean water would be much of your problem as long as you have somewhere safe to sleep. If available nearby a campground would be a legal and possibly cheap way to do it.

How are you getting out of paying for your current housing/insurance/items or are you just leaving it all behind permanently?
Old 08-21-07, 04:03 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh - yeah. If you plan on maintaining a job then bathing and sleeping somewhere secure are a necessity. What's the point? By the time you pay for a cheap roach infested motel with grimy showers you can rent a room off Craigslist for $300 a month. That's pretty cheap to live.

Unless you're just doing it for fun. Like when I see a train going by real slow and think "Why not just hop on and see where I end up?" (I'll post on that when I do it)
Old 08-21-07, 04:31 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think about the basics. If your job provides a place to shower, you've got one thing covered. Otherwise you need to find somewhere else to bathe. Water heated on a campstove might work, if you have a campstove.

You'll need to cook unless you plan on just paying for food cooked by someone else. (do you have a campstove?)

If you cook for yourself you'll need to buy food and probably need to figure out how you're going to transport it and store it with no car/house.

And of course there's the huge issue of where you'll spend your non-working time, which will hopefully not involve being inconvenienced by irate people (cops possibly) telling you "you can't be here." A site in a campground would be one possibility, which would probably have provisions for drinkable water, plus outhouses or toilets.

It's hard for me to tell by what you've posted, whether you have thought much about these needs.

I also don't know where you might find a forest to live in with a lean-to.... if you live far from any big cities it might be easy but near big cities it's not so easy.
Old 08-21-07, 04:42 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I know a guy who used to live under his desk at Borland while he was trying to save money like your are, though I think he had a car. When I lived in San Diego, there were camps of migrant workers off in the bushes near my neighborhood. They would walk into town to do their grocery shopping and walk out to the fields in the morning. From the reports I read, it was a pretty rough life.

Seems like staying clean is your biggest challenge. Commuting forum might have some hints that way too. Staying safe would be your number two challenge.
Old 08-21-07, 06:40 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mrbike27, what kind of work do you do? Is it something where you could shower every-other-day and still get away with it? Do you work in an office with formal attire?
Old 08-21-07, 06:44 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think the term is homeless.
Old 08-21-07, 06:48 PM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've toured that way. Self-contained. Costs very little. Minimum shelter. Keeping clean is indeed the hard part. I've bathed in lots of streams! Security for one's bike and stuff is more difficult than might be initially apparent. I'd think about a little trailer I could use as a shopping cart. Take all my goodies with me. Some people will mess with your stuff purely out of spite.
Old 08-21-07, 06:52 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where... exactly... would you sleep at night? It is easier if you own a van.
Old 08-21-07, 07:04 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long would someone last in this kind of spot. all you have is your bike and clothes on your back. just biking to work and back to whereever. i am gonna try this for a month to see how much money i can save while not paying bills.
I did this when I was younger for a few months at a time. But I had more than the clothes on my back. You can save a lot of money if you have a safe place. Let us know how you do. I did odd farm jobs and lived out in the woods. I had no bike and just walked everywhere. I didn't ask for money when I worked so the people in the area got this huge guilt trip going and fed me and looked out for me. In the end they insisted I take money. It makes me smile to remember those days.
Old 08-21-07, 07:20 PM
Bizurke
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've spent my fair share of time with out a home so I'll try to give some tips. If you want a place to shower and a safe place to keep some clothes/belongings I suggest getting a membership to a gym that lets you have your own locker. This gives you a place you can go when it rains during the day, a shower, people to talk to, tv to watch, and all sorts of things for a relatively small price. One of the biggest problems of being w/out home is that you spend a lot of time by yourself with out entertainment, this can drive you crazy being alone all this time. I suggest you pay regular visits to your library as a free source of entertainment, internet, etc.

Make sure NOT to squat in someone elses area, there are other people out there who don't have a place to live and some of them take the meager place they sleep at night very seriously and consider it home, it would be the same as if some bum just walked in your house and started sleeping in your bed.

Don't be scared to ask other "street people" you see around for some tips on where to go for shelter and other things, for the most part they take care of each other but you will get the crazy ones here and there.

Don't have a bike that looks nice in the least bit, if it is nice then make it look as bad and undesirable as you possibly can. The last thing you need is your bike stolen or to get jumped because of your bike.

As far as living in the woods goes. You can get a small 1 person tent that has an area to keep your gear (bike) out of the rain for pretty cheap, they roll up to fit in about 1/3 of a panier. Visit your local military surplus store for all sorts of great items for living in the woods. If you're trying to find a place that is wooded enough to not be seen (have the cops called on you) and still want to remain close to town I suggest following the train tracks. Though it is trespassing I've learned that railroad employees are pretty used to people living on their property and for the most part will just ask you to leave. Generally though, they don't want to go out of there way to deal with it.
Old 08-21-07, 07:39 PM
notfred

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why bother having a bike? It's not like you'd need it to get home from work.
Old 08-21-07, 07:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Sure it is possible, but you knew that already. Go for it! You know it is what you want to do.
Old 08-21-07, 08:08 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Once you move to living outdoors, it will be very difficult to go back to living indoors. Once you get used to living outdoors, it may become permenant. If you need extra money, move into a studio and get another part time job. If you life is hard now, it's about to get much harder once you live outdoors.
Old 08-21-07, 08:34 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Yeah it's called being homeless, millions of Americans do it.
Old 08-21-07, 08:36 PM
Conveyor Belt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the homeless... I see plenty of homeless everyday, tooling around on their bikes with baskets full of cans their taking to the recycling center to get some money for alcohol.
Old 08-21-07, 08:45 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
You don't say if you are in a populated area or not but there are many resources in one like soup kitchens at chuches.
Old 08-21-07, 08:53 PM
AStomper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking of doing something like that next summer. I plan on paying rent at my home ahead of time and starting off with like 500 dollars.

+1 on jumping on a train, I started hanging out at a little train yard recently and it is very tempting.
Old 08-21-07, 09:02 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just a month? If you want to know, then just add up all your house-hold associated bills: Rent, heat, electricity, phone (unless you have a cell, then you might keep that), renters/homeowners insurance, etc.

You might find the cost of eating out, or cooking fuel, and camping gear might make the cost of a permanent abode a wash, especially if it's only a month. If it were longer term, then the cost of the equipment could be stretched.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.