Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reading dog behavior while riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reading dog behavior while riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 12:22 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I haven't had any bad dog encounters in a long time, but in my time working on cruise ships and venturing far off the tourist path in Mexico I'd come across dogs that "took an interest" in me while walking. I have no scientific evidence but found that coughing and clearing my throat put them at ease. Maybe the more similar gutteral sound helped? Don't know.
Old 09-17-19, 12:50 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
If you want to find out which loves you more ... lock your wife and the dog in the trunk of your car and go shopping for 3 hours.

When you come back and open the trunk .... see which one's pleased to see you
My dog would lick my face and be happy to see me.

My wife would be calling her lawyer.

Yep, I know who loves me the most.
Old 01-13-20, 03:09 PM
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I look at the genre, pedal it according to it, turn back the way I came or change my way. If the breed is a dog and looks and stops, I don't usually go that way. I'm looking for a stray dog, and I walk past him when he doesn't seem to attack. But when I'm in flock, I never prefer it unless I have to. Would it be useful if I put some food in the bag for the dogs to eat?
Old 01-14-20, 01:47 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I don't trust any of them, even if on leash. I have had tiny, little harmless looking pooches nearly crash my bike by lunging psychotically at me through the air for zero reason. Happend to me just this afternoon, as a matter of fact. So, wide berth for all. Now, if the dog is clearly smiling, tongue out, happy and awesome and irrresistable in every possible way, well, then, I dismount immediatley and go pet him/her for as long as the master will let me. Priorities.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-14-20, 05:19 AM
twowheeledthomp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My dog is an adorable looking Jack Russell (3 years old) and she has terrible anxiety and is scared of everything. The problem is because she looks adorable I have had many people try to come to pet her and she responds aggressively. It can be a nightmare taking her for a walk because she is really bad with other dogs. I would never let her off a lead because of this. Sadly many dog owners are crap and will not give a toss and will let their dogs run wild regardless of their behaviour. I like to think that if a dog is off a lead it is because they are well behaved and have good recall, but this isn't the case. I always treat dogs with caution because you don't know what they have been through and you don't know how switched on their owners are.
Likes For twowheeledthomp:
Old 01-14-20, 10:37 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
These guys used to always come out and greet us on a water stop in Somis, CA. One of our club riders owned an avacado ranch out there, and installed a water fountain near the road for riders to use. When he sold and moved to town, the new owners kept the fountain going for us, and their two dogs always came out to greet us. The last several rides, the water is still working, but we haven't seen the dogs in a while. I kind of miss them. On the other side, I've been chased by everything from chihuahuas to pit bulls, but the worst was a cocker spaniel who wouldn't give it up for almost two blocks.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 01-14-20 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 01-14-20, 07:03 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You are anthropomorphizing your animals. Dog don't love you they simply follow their innate behavioral program.
Old 01-15-20, 12:31 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
The more people I meet, the more I love our dogs.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-15-20, 02:53 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
The more people I meet, the more I love our dogs.
Which should reveal more about you than those other people, since you are more like them than you are your dog.
Old 01-15-20, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You are anthropomorphizing your animals. Dog don't love you they simply follow their innate behavioral program.

Pretty sure love is our innate behavioral program, it just happens to be a really good one.

There's a whole body of scientific research that indicates that we as humans have been evolving as a species genetically programmed to socialize with other species, especially dogs.

I don't think I have to have dog-like powers to smell a really pointless and endless argument having nothing to do with bikes approaching.
Old 01-15-20, 10:55 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Pretty sure love is our innate behavioral program, it just happens to be a really good one.
Incorrect. Selfishness is innate. Love is something we learn how to do.
There's a whole body of scientific research that indicates that we as humans have been evolving as a species genetically programmed to socialize with other species, especially dogs.
Incorrect again. We socialize with each other. Dogs provide a service for humans.

I don't think I have to have dog-like powers to smell a really pointless and endless argument having nothing to do with bikes approaching.
That's not surprising. You need to know a lot more about a subject to engage in any meaningful discourse. Listen more, and you might leave a lot smarter than when you came in.
Old 01-15-20, 11:19 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Krane, drop it. The original topic is Dog Behavior While Riding, period.
Old 01-15-20, 11:21 AM
Mike_Sherman

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lab4Us
If this isn’t a dog smiling, I don’t know what is..
Smiling in your imagination, at least...
Old 01-15-20, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
These guys used to always come out and greet us on a water stop in Somis, CA. One of our club riders owned an avacado ranch out there, and installed a water fountain near the road for riders to use. When he sold and moved to town, the new owners kept the fountain going for us, and their two dogs always came out to greet us. The last several rides, the water is still working, but we haven't seen the dogs in a while. I kind of miss them. On the other side, I've been chased by everything from chihuahuas to pit bulls, but the worst was a cocker spaniel who wouldn't give it up for almost two blocks.

Wait! Is that a Dogma you're riding?
Old 01-15-20, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
You people so afraid of dogs need to HTFU. Seriously.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-15-20, 11:54 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Which should reveal more about you than those other people, since you are more like them than you are your dog.
Thats a great point, which reminded me to go hug my dogs again. (It had been nearly 10 minutes since I last played with them!) Thanks for the reinforcement of my personal dogma.

In my experience (others’ may vary) dogs are exquisite judges of character. Of course, there are those who are relentless defenders of “home” and there are those that just love to race. When I encounter strange dogs that act like they want to chase me off I up my cadence, avoid eye contact, (unless I need to assert dominance) and leave their area in an effort to display my desire to just pass by. It has worked on several dogs along some of my regular 30+ mile loops, such that subsequent encounters were either pleasant or benign. People are more unpredictable than canines, by far.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-15-20, 03:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't like to stereotype, but in my experience, all dogs are terrible drivers.
Old 01-15-20, 04:07 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't like to stereotype, but in my experience, all dogs are terrible drivers.
Hmmmphf. Antidoggite, eh? I know your type. It all starts with a little doggy joke, and then if called on it you'll ask, innocently, why the doggies are so sensitive ...
Old 05-05-22, 01:34 AM
Pop Alexandra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on how accustomed they are to seeing riders. I've experienced both extremes, so in my opinion, it's possible to train them into being docile with riders.