Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speedplays and falling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Speedplays and falling

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 10:28 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Another Speedplay user here. In the past I have tried just about all the systems and the Speedplays are my favorite. Been using them now for about 18 years.
Easy to click in and out. Very smooth float. They do need a little maintenance but super easy. The cleats like to be cleaned occasionally and spritzed with your favorite
lube. I use a Teflon spray lube on mine. As far as worrying about being locked in an accident, I found this not to be a worry. In the spills I have had I didn't even think about it and disengaged from the pedals. After you ride with any pedal system for awhile it becomes second nature to disengage. I just happens............
Old 07-14-20, 10:54 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
Feels like no one mentioned the primary reason for riding Speedplay: frictionless float. The rotational friction is so low, it almost feels like standing on ice. For some people this is disconcerting and weird. For others nothing else is comfortable (I'm one of these). Look and Shimano equivalents have some float yes, but high friction - you set the angle you want, and friction holds it there until you clip out.

This is apart from quantity of float - original X-series Speedplays have huge amounts, later ones can be limited with grub screws, and Look-style cleats have various amounts depending on shape. No, this is about the quality of the float.

If the OP has no idea which they prefer, it's too soon to decide which system is best for them. Gotta put some miles in to find out.

as for the original question about crash release, I have no concerns about any common clipless systems. I've popped out of Speedplays, Looks, and SPDs in crashes, and all were adjusted for the right amount of tension that I never popped in sprints. They all work.
Not sure where you get the idea that “Look and Shimano equivalents have some float yes, but high friction - you set the angle you want, and friction holds it there until you clip out.” I’ve been using Shimano SPD-SL yellow cleats (6 degree float, IIRC) for years, and there’s nothing stopping my feet using that float - friction or otherwise. Nor was there an issue with the several sets of Looks before that. Speedplays might be like standing on ice, but what’s the advantage of that? It sounds like an academic advantage, because SPD-SLs float fine, if not icily, but since I’m not a penguin, I don’t need ice.
Old 07-14-20, 11:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
SPD has a few degrees of float. I don't think it is particularly difficult to utilize the float, but it's almost not there in comparison to speedplays.. I have knee problems, and it is better with speedplays. But really, I don't use the float much. You get used to them and it no longer feels like you are walking on ice. I remember that feeling from the first couple of times I used them, but it quickly went away.
Old 07-15-20, 12:39 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
SPD has a few degrees of float. I don't think it is particularly difficult to utilize the float, but it's almost not there in comparison to speedplays.. I have knee problems, and it is better with speedplays. But really, I don't use the float much. You get used to them and it no longer feels like you are walking on ice. I remember that feeling from the first couple of times I used them, but it quickly went away.
When I sprinted or put in a hard effort my right foot would rub against my crank arm and my right knee would hurt after the ride. It was only with Speedplay's that I could get a pro bike fit that adjusted the cleats to prevent this from happening by restricting my foot from being able to twist to the left while also retaining some float to the right, to avoid being in a fixed position and allowing for some flexibility but there is no feeling of floating on ice, it feels the same as my SPD's did but with my foot position vastly improved. The net result: no knee issues.
This despite a serious knee injury that pretty much ended my racing in my late 20's. Now I am racing again.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-15-20, 12:56 AM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Not sure where you get the idea that “Look and Shimano equivalents have some float yes, but high friction - you set the angle you want, and friction holds it there until you clip out.” I’ve been using Shimano SPD-SL yellow cleats (6 degree float, IIRC) for years, and there’s nothing stopping my feet using that float - friction or otherwise. Nor was there an issue with the several sets of Looks before that. Speedplays might be like standing on ice, but what’s the advantage of that? It sounds like an academic advantage, because SPD-SLs float fine, if not icily, but since I’m not a penguin, I don’t need ice.
I get this idea from the old school Looks I had from in the 90s, and Dura-Ace PD-9000 with yellow cleats. I have slightly different leg lengths and my right knee needs to rotate a bit at the top of the pedal stroke. The years I spent on 3-bolt pedals had some degree of knee pain that would come and go. It went away completely when I tried Speedplay. Spent a decade on them, then tried the PD-9000 and the knee pain came back right away. Replaced with Speedplay again and knee pain gone again. It's not academic at all for me.

If this all sounds weird to you, congratulations! Sounds like you don't have knees that want frictionless float. It's up to you - observe the various comments in this thread about some people's knees preferring Speedplay, and maybe decide everyone's different and it's a good thing there are a variety of systems. Or perhaps try to convince people they're crazy and their experience must be wrong. Nice to have that luxury of choice.

For what it's worth I wanted out of Speedplay because the owners seemed like sociopaths and trash (that's why I tried the Dura Ace). In recent years I started touring on 2-bolt SPDs and found they work for me too - but only after brand new cleats are worn in and polished up to reduce the float friction, and only with small pedals (not the mid- or big-platform pedals). I definitely miss the big stable platform of road pedals sometimes, but I don't plan to go back to non-hikeable shoes as I mostly ride gravel and mixed surface now. But no one asked about SPDs so I'll leave it there. In the meantime the original Speedplay owners sold to Wahoo, so maybe I'll end up back there someday.
Old 07-15-20, 01:15 AM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
When I sprinted or put in a hard effort my right foot would rub against my crank arm and my right knee would hurt after the ride. It was only with Speedplay's that I could get a pro bike fit that adjusted the cleats to prevent this from happening by restricting my foot from being able to twist to the left while also retaining some float to the right, to avoid being in a fixed position and allowing for some flexibility but there is no feeling of floating on ice, it feels the same as my SPD's did but with my foot position vastly improved. The net result: no knee issues.
This despite a serious knee injury that pretty much ended my racing in my late 20's. Now I am racing again.
Good point here - the original X-series have huge +/- 20 degrees of float, which is what feels like ice. Zeros (and Light Action I think?) can be adjusted down to little to no float, or float only in a certain desired range. If you do (like AlgarveCycling here) you might not feel the ice sensation at all.

Another related aspect no one touched on yet is spring re-centering force. Shimano red cleats, Frogs, Time, Crank Bros, and others have a return-to-center spring force on the float. This is instant agony on my knees. Again if you have no idea what I'm talking about, lucky you. SPD and most Speedplay have none. Anyway this is very far from the original question, sounds like the OP has enough to answer their questions
Old 07-15-20, 04:51 AM
Nerdftyu
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I been using speedplay pedals
Old 07-19-20, 07:22 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I know I have crashed with Speedplays and never had any issues getting out of them. You might not pop out automatically. At what point would you want that to happen exactly? If this was a major worry, maybe you should have gotten zeros.
I wouldn't say it's a major worry. Pretty satisfied at this point that they disengage as any clipless would. The zeros have the same caution in the instructions.
Old 07-19-20, 07:29 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Another Speedplay user here. In the past I have tried just about all the systems and the Speedplays are my favorite. Been using them now for about 18 years.
Easy to click in and out. Very smooth float. They do need a little maintenance but super easy. The cleats like to be cleaned occasionally and spritzed with your favorite
lube. I use a Teflon spray lube on mine. As far as worrying about being locked in an accident, I found this not to be a worry. In the spills I have had I didn't even think about it and disengaged from the pedals. After you ride with any pedal system for awhile it becomes second nature to disengage. I just happens............
Seems the majority of folks here using Speedplays have found disengagement tonbe a non-issue. Thanks for corroborating.
Old 07-19-20, 08:13 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I have a pair of Speedplay Frogs and I love them, I've never fallen with those pedals since 2013, I don't find them the least bit difficult to get out of, heck my my Shimano pedals are more difficult to get out of, but I haven't fallen with those either.
Old 07-20-20, 10:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've been using Speedplay Frogs for nearly 20 years.

I had a problem unclipping once during an accident. Starting off at a traffic light, the crank broke and I fell off the bike. Shoe was still attached to pedal which was still attached to the end of the crank. Hard to blame the Speedplay for that one. No problems for the other 19 years, 364 days.