Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Recently

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-06-21, 07:26 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts

Has anyone ordered from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse recently? I've emailed and left a voicemail and can't get any sort of response. Like the wheels I bought from them a few years ago, but not sure how long I should wait around for a response before I go elsewhere. Couldn't find any messages on the site that they are away.
Old 12-06-21, 07:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I tried to buy a wheel ..... not sure it was from them but it was one of the major wheel-building sites ,,,, and had the same total lack of response. I also found that a lot of wheel builders were no longer selling some parts, saying they were reserved for in-house builds.

Or, it could be they have been taken away by aliens.

I went elsewhere after a couple weeks.
Old 12-07-21, 02:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I bought my last set of wheels from them in October, Blackset Race 24's. They shipped the next day. I've bought three wheelsets from them so far and never had a problem. They're always on my doorstep in less than a week.

I sent an email once for a question and I believe I got a response either the same day or the next day.
Old 12-07-21, 08:30 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I ordered a set of wheels with RR1.1 rims, thinking the 36/32 spoke counts would make for strong yet light wheels for me. Before they could ship, I talked with 'em and learned that those rims were a bit weak for a clyde, so they changed the order for me, at no extra charge, to the Blackset Race with the same spoke counts. My first reply came a week or so after my query.

When they arrived, the rear wheel was way out of true, so I sent an email. About a week later, I got a response stating that this was certainly unacceptable, and that a replacement set would be sent out, with a return sticker so I could ship the wobbly wheel back in the same box. The replacement wheels (they just went ahead and sent both) were true, but they were the RR1.1 set we decided were too light. I figure they just re-filled my original order.

My next few attempts to contact them didn't get a response, so I sent the DT wheels right back in the same box, and took the Blacksets to my LBS. I could true 'em up myself, but being brand new, I wanted someone with more experience to have a close look in case there was any shipping damage or other problems I might not have noticed.

I still haven't heard from them, so I'm hoping for a long, trouble-free life with the Blacksets. I get the idea they don't have many folks on the customer-facing side of the company, but once trued, these seem like solid wheels.

My other 'custom' wheels mostly came from Colorado Cyclist, which has been responsive, and those wheels have been holding up extremely well under my bulk. The lone exception is a set of 26" Clyde wheels from Velocity that I'm running on my converted Bianchi Ocelot.

Last edited by velojym; 12-07-21 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-08-21, 05:47 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by velojym
I ordered a set of wheels with RR1.1 rims, thinking the 36/32 spoke counts would make for strong yet light wheels for me. Before they could ship, I talked with 'em and learned that those rims were a bit weak for a clyde, so they changed the order for me, at no extra charge, to the Blackset Race with the same spoke counts. My first reply came a week or so after my query.

When they arrived, the rear wheel was way out of true, so I sent an email. About a week later, I got a response stating that this was certainly unacceptable, and that a replacement set would be sent out, with a return sticker so I could ship the wobbly wheel back in the same box. The replacement wheels (they just went ahead and sent both) were true, but they were the RR1.1 set we decided were too light. I figure they just re-filled my original order.

My next few attempts to contact them didn't get a response, so I sent the DT wheels right back in the same box, and took the Blacksets to my LBS. I could true 'em up myself, but being brand new, I wanted someone with more experience to have a close look in case there was any shipping damage or other problems I might not have noticed.

I still haven't heard from them, so I'm hoping for a long, trouble-free life with the Blacksets. I get the idea they don't have many folks on the customer-facing side of the company, but once trued, these seem like solid wheels.

My other 'custom' wheels mostly came from Colorado Cyclist, which has been responsive, and those wheels have been holding up extremely well under my bulk. The lone exception is a set of 26" Clyde wheels from Velocity that I'm running on my converted Bianchi Ocelot.
was this very long ago? I’ve still gotten no response.
Old 12-09-21, 09:14 PM
BikingViking793 

I just bought wheels elsewhere after not getting a response.
Old 12-10-21, 02:18 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This is the first time I ever heard of a problem with them. There's probably only a couple of people who work there, there might be some kind of personal issue right now. They used to have discounts for BF members but I don't see that on their website anymore.
Old 12-15-21, 07:50 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I've 2 sets of wheels from them but nothing recent. The last set was house wheels on a 105 hub, the rear was completely out of true. I should have returned it, just decided to re-true it myself, it's been fine since then bit the next wheel I needed I went to Universal Cycles, great Mavic wheel, and it was in true.

Universal Cycles - The Largest Selection of Road and Mountain Bike Parts
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-15-21, 08:03 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Mine was a few weeks, or a couple months ago. Same as Steve on the one set, rear wheel out of true. I think it'll hold up fine, just disappointed about the slow/no response.