Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New road bike considering back injury

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-17-22, 09:04 AM
goldfilm

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Roubaix SE w/Shimano 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m turning 50 this year and giving myself a gift of a new road bike. I’m recovering from a herniated disc and I’ll use the bike for 10-mile trips for now until I’m better, though I want a decent performance and a bike that will last.

I’m considering the Trek Domane AL 5 (~ $2K) vs. Domane SL 5 (~ $3K). I’m interested in Trek’s IsoSpeed shock absorption technology to minimize impact on my back that I’m currently getting with my 2012 Fuji Roubaix. The AL 5 has an alloy frame and IsoSpeed only in the handlebar, while the SL 5 has a carbon frame and IsoSpeed in both handle & seat.

If I decide to go for the $3K budget, I’m also considering a Pinarello Paris 105. They don’t claim to use any shock absorption technology but they do talk about the way the frame and fork are designed for more confort.

Questions to +50 road bike riders:
- Bigger tires in the newer bikes will help too and I’ll also get a professional fitting service… but would you say features like Giant D-Fuse or Trek IsoSpeed are key for your back or arms pain?
- Would you consider the Pinarello as a better quality bike in general and forget IsoSpeed?
- Any other recommendations when looking for a new bike when it comes to minimizing pain - without going to a heavier slower bike that may be ultra comfortable but not good for speed & workout or longer road trips?
Old 06-17-22, 09:15 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
If the Domane offers your back the protection it needs, go for the SL5. Also, the Domane will let you run 38 mm Rene Herse tires, which could really help.

However, if you want to have the ability to add a KINEKT Active Suspension Seatpost, I think the Domane seat mast might preclude that. My wife has one of these, due to a back injury, and it is really worth it.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-17-22, 09:17 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Having said that, I got a custom steel bike when I turned 50. No regrets, apart from wishing I had done so earlier in life.
Old 06-17-22, 09:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfilm
I’m turning 50 this year and giving myself a gift of a new road bike. I’m recovering from a herniated disc and I’ll use the bike for 10-mile trips for now until I’m better, though I want a decent performance and a bike that will last.

I’m considering the Trek Domane AL 5 (~ $2K) vs. Domane SL 5 (~ $3K). I’m interested in Trek’s IsoSpeed shock absorption technology to minimize impact on my back that I’m currently getting with my 2012 Fuji Roubaix. The AL 5 has an alloy frame and IsoSpeed only in the handlebar, while the SL 5 has a carbon frame and IsoSpeed in both handle & seat.

If I decide to go for the $3K budget, I’m also considering a Pinarello Paris 105. They don’t claim to use any shock absorption technology but they do talk about the way the frame and fork are designed for more confort.

- Bigger tires in the newer bikes will help too and I’ll also get a professional fitting service… but would you say features like Giant D-Fuse or Trek IsoSpeed are key for your back or arms pain?
- Would you consider the Pinarello as a better quality bike in general and forget IsoSpeed?
- Any other recommendations when looking for a new bike when it comes to minimizing pain - without going to a heavier slower bike that may be ultra comfortable but not good for speed & workout or longer road trips?
I have the Domane SL5. I would definitely get it.

I can fit up to 700 x 40 tires on mine.
Old 06-17-22, 11:27 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
In my experience recovering from a herniated disc and subsequent surgery, position is more critical than shock absorption. Spines are mechanically complex and back issues are unique, so YMMV. I iterated with my bike fitter to find a position that minimizes low back pain. I also add on-bike stretching, which helps tremendously after climbs or long efforts.

Having said that, I do run either 32mm or 35mm tires on my brevet bike.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-18-22, 06:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts

I think tyres are the main factor in ride comfort. My Giant Defy has the D-Fuse seatpost and bars. I think the carbon D-Fuse seatpost is pretty effective, but mine has the alloy D-fuse bars and they still transmit a fair amount of road buzz on rougher road surfaces, even with thick cushioned bar tape. The integrated carbon bars/stem on my Canyon are much better at damping out road buzz. So whatever bike you choose, I would consider upgrading to carbon bars if not already in the spec. In hindsight I wish I'd upgraded to the carbon D-fuse bars on my Defy. I suspect it would have been a big improvement.

But if I was looking for the very best possible ride comfort in a fast road bike I would probably look closely at the Specialized Roubaix, with the latest FutureShock. But for me that would be probably overkill. The Carbon Domane is probably a good choice too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-19-22, 07:59 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I had a herniated disc in 1993-4 on my right side. Lost 80% of the muscle on the front of my lower right leg and 20% on the thigh. In 2001 I had a disc blowout and lost the use of my left leg's front muscles and had surgery. I was told I should never ride a bike again.
I have a Hybrid and a drop-bar gravel bike, both Cannondale. The Hybrid is obviously more upright than the Topstone and the Topstone is less of a tuck than a race or true road bike. Of the two I find the gravel bike the most comfortable as the angle of my body is enough to keep any road jarring impact from my spine being too upright. I also find that I can go down on the drops on the gravel bike but I have to be really stretched out before I get on the bike or I pay the price later. Not suggesting you get a gravel bike just suggesting you consider your fit on whatever bike you get to allow for the angle of your body you will be riding for most of your time in the saddle. You can shorten and raise the stem as you are recuperating and then change to a lower and longer stem as you feel you can. I have not yet been able to get back to the supplied 90mm 3 or 4* but hope to get there.
Be safe and try to buy a bike frame that gives you a lot of options later on as you heal and become aware of what has changed and what you can still do comfortably.
My bike is all wrong for anybody else but it fits me and I can still ride at 73.
Good luck, Frank.

Last edited by Helderberg; 06-19-22 at 02:44 PM.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 06-19-22, 11:11 AM
goldfilm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think tyres are the main factor in ride comfort. My Giant Defy has the D-Fuse seatpost and bars. I think the carbon D-Fuse seatpost is pretty effective, but mine has the alloy D-fuse bars and they still transmit a fair amount of road buzz on rougher road surfaces, even with thick cushioned bar tape. The integrated carbon bars/stem on my Canyon are much better at damping out road buzz. So whatever bike you choose, I would consider upgrading to carbon bars if not already in the spec. In hindsight I wish I'd upgraded to the carbon D-fuse bars on my Defy. I suspect it would have been a big improvement.

But if I was looking for the very best possible ride comfort in a fast road bike I would probably look closely at the Specialized Roubaix, with the latest FutureShock. But for me that would be probably overkill. The Carbon Domane is probably a good choice too.
Thank you. I’ve seen very few bikes with carbon bars under 3K or even 4K. But I’ll ask about upgrade options… D-Fuse vs IsoSpeed vs FutureShock seem to be similar with their own pros and cons, but general consensus seems to be “tires, tires, tires”

Now, main issue now is availability. Not sure if it’s related to the pandemic effect or the time of the year, but none of the popular brands have medium sizes in stock.
Old 06-19-22, 11:11 AM
goldfilm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I had a herniated disc in 1993-4 on my right side. Lost 80% of the muscle on my lower right leg and 20% on the thigh. In 2001 I had a disc blowout and lost the use of my left leg's front muscles and had surgery. I was told I should never ride a bike again.
I have a Hybrid and a drop-bar gravel bike, both Cannondale. The Hybrid is obviously more upright than the Topstone and the Topstone is less of a tuck than a race or true road bike. Of the two I find the gravel bike the most comfortable as the angle of my body is enough to keep any road jarring impact from my spine being too upright. I also find that I can go down on the drops on the gravel bike but I have to be really stretched out before I get on the bike or I pay the price later. Not suggesting you get a gravel bike just suggesting you consider your fit on whatever bike you get to allow for the angle of your body you will be riding for most of your time in the saddle. You can shorten and raise the stem as you are recuperating and then change to a lower and longer stem as you feel you can. I have not yet been able to get back to the supplied 90mm 3 or 4* but hope to get there.
Be safe and try to buy a bike frame that gives you a lot of options later on as you heal and become aware of what has changed and what you can still do comfortably.
My bike is all wrong for anybody else but it fits me and I can still ride at 73.
Good luck, Frank.
Amazing advice, will definitely consider and pay close attention… and congrats on riding at 73!
Likes For goldfilm:
Old 06-19-22, 04:25 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The AL frame bikes I’ve had were very harsh rides. But one of my carbon bikes was really stiff but not quite as harsh.

For me the 3 big things for back and overall comfort are bike fit, frame material and design then wheels/tires. Ideally your wheels would be a lightweight carbon with wide enough width to accommodate wider tires.

Be sure to find a fitter who can adjust your fit to meet your needs versus someone who just fits everyone only using one method.
Old 06-20-22, 06:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
Thank you. I’ve seen very few bikes with carbon bars under 3K or even 4K. But I’ll ask about upgrade options… D-Fuse vs IsoSpeed vs FutureShock seem to be similar with their own pros and cons, but general consensus seems to be “tires, tires, tires”

Now, main issue now is availability. Not sure if it’s related to the pandemic effect or the time of the year, but none of the popular brands have medium sizes in stock.
I think FutureShock stands out above all the other front end systems with something like 20 mm of actual damped travel. At least the higher-end version is damped. Whether you actually need it or not is another matter - but it is going to give you the plushest feeling front end on the market. I think the rear ends of all modern carbon endurance bikes are pretty comfortable. As with carbon bars, I think carbon seatposts add significant comfort, especially when well exposed.

Yes tires are king for comfort, but pretty much all modern endurance bikes should accommodate at least 32 mm wide rubber (and some considerably more).
Old 08-08-22, 05:01 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I have zero bike suggestions for you

As somebody who has endured decades with (2) herniated discs the two most important things I have found are...
Core Strength
Flexibility

Best of luck with your spine health and cycling,

fat biker
Likes For fat biker:
Old 08-08-22, 09:21 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I have avoided surgery and wish you the best. Looking for speed and accommodating your issues I understand having arthritis in hands, back and knees which makes me at times sensitive to frames and frame makers. Ti frames have offered me better rides over these periods with our kids and when serious a recumbent trike keeps me on the road.
Old 08-09-22, 04:03 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have chronic spinal issues and have had 4 surgeries, including disc replacement at L5-S1 and fusion at C5-C6. I am soon to be 70 and average 5000 a year over the last 9 year span. I still ride road bikes, but have made adjustments over the years in regards to reach and stack, wider tires, and two bike have been switched to Velo-Orange Porteur bars, with 10 speed Shimano shift/brake levers mounted on them. They are a really good option, IMO. They offer a lot of hand positions with very; little movement. Shifting and braking area also really easy and convenient with little movement. l still have, and ride, a some bikes with drop bars, but I have mostly been using the bikes with Porteur bars since acquiring them. They come in 22.2 and 23.4 diameter, with the 23.4 proper size for brifters, silver or black.
My Airborne Zeppelin has become my favorite ride since making the switch.

Porteur bars with 15mm used as a rise

The Poprad with Porteur bars, 15 mm down slope.

I have to do some lengthening of the cables/housing on the Poprad, and will likely invert them for a 15 mm rise. That works better for me. The bars also give you options for they type of shifters and brake levers you want, bar ends or thumb/rapid fire type and brake levers, or brifters, I have found that it takes a bit of trial and error to get my set up right, and occasional adjustment, small increments at a time. In addition to helping my spine issues, the bars have also been a big help with reducing the numbness and tingling in my hands, and have been a huge help in reducing the stress on my arthritic thumbs. That has been large in my being, and staying, comfortable for longer rides. For me, regarding comfort, there is a fine line between being too upright and torso too far forward.
Changing and finding the right sett up can be a bit tiresome, but the reward is high when it is accomplished.

I wish you well, patience is a definite virtue dealing with things like this.

Last edited by delbiker1; 08-09-22 at 04:14 AM. Reason: add more info
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-09-22, 04:54 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Are you positive your back will be comfortable riding with drop bars?
Old 08-09-22, 08:46 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
You didn’t say where in your back the herniated disc is, but I’ll assume it’s your lower back. I’ve had two lower back surgeries for herniated discs myself. At any rate…like a couple others have indicated…I think your primary consideration should be comfort (position) WRT your back injury. I mean you’re riding a road bike. Unless you’re riding on roads comparable to Paris-Roubaix, there shouldn’t be so much impact on your back. And, you’re posting in the 50+ forum. I know we’re all always concerned with speed. But what records are you trying to break? What race are you trying to win? I say longevity is the primary concern, and do what ever you have to do to keep riding comfortably.

Dan
Old 08-10-22, 09:25 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane ALR5, 2014 Trek 8.3 DS

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
m

I had a Domane ALR5 (which was destroyed when I was struck by a car) and I now have a Domane SL5. Both of these have the IsoZone decoupler and both bikes were very easy on my back. Both were/are more comfortable than my Trek DS with 42mm tires and a front suspension.

I’d really recommend test riding the SL5 … I’m sure you’ll be impressed.

At an equivalent price point, I doubt the Pinarellomis any better than the Trek or Giant, just a fancier name.
Old 08-10-22, 09:27 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 224 Posts
I had L4-L5 surgery in Nov 2019. Began riding the trainer after a couple of weeks and had to raise my bars to get more upright. Progress was slow, but steady. You'll get there. By six months, pretty damn good as long as I don't over do it with yard work or moving furniture.

I still ride long and hilly rides, but with different expectations. Not "lower," but different. No more hammering, but more fun.

Keep up with the physical therapy too.
Old 08-12-22, 08:51 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
....I wish you well, patience is a definite virtue dealing with things like this.
I have also played with this with some success, my current favorites are three titaniums, two with mustache bars and one with simply a drop bar chopped off as it rotates down and then mounted upside down all with gel under the bar wrap. Would like to try a porteur, I found lots of fiddling with shifter placement required so to that end could you kindly post a photo from above .

Edit: also please are those unusually long stems being used?

Last edited by easyupbug; 08-12-22 at 08:55 AM. Reason: another question
Old 08-17-22, 10:02 AM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Standing up in the saddle helps a good deal with your back not in the same position the entire time during a ride. It allows me to stretch out my back muscles. Even standing up for 60 seconds is going to help.

As others have mentioned the wider tires help a great deal as the tire pressure is much less. A 32mm tire at 80 PSI provides as much load support as a 25mm tire at 100 PSI and it is simply that the 32mm tire hold a greater volume of air.