Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 07-06-22, 10:21 AM
  #226  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,286

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,349 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Interesting read on the subject: Walmart’s Political Dichotomy Is No Surprise (forbes.com) and Walmart Heirs Shift from Red to Purple: The Evolving Political Contributions of the Nation’s Richest Family | HistPhil

Seems Steuart is an R and Tom appears to be a D. Those are the two that own RZC Investments, the company that invested in Rapha.
Is it still a boycott if you couldn't afford their stuff in the first place?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 10:27 AM
  #227  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5715 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Air. An air plane.
Har de har har.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 10:30 AM
  #228  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5715 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Is it still a boycott if you couldn't afford their stuff in the first place?
Yes, if you say, "I won't buy it whether I can afford it or not because . . .."
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 10:35 AM
  #229  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,727

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10121 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,248 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Probably because someone, somewhere had to be told.

It reminds me of the saying my brother shared with me - "OSHA regulations are written in smoke and blood." - they exist because a whole bunch of people, somewhere, got injured or killed.
Fixed.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-06-22, 10:37 AM
  #230  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,727

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10121 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,248 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Har de har har.
Couldn't resist.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 10:38 AM
  #231  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5715 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Couldn't resist.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 10:48 AM
  #232  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,038

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I was aware that they were owned by a pair of the younger Waltons but, given their cycling advocacy and Rapha's leanings, I'd assumed that their views were not necessarily in step with the family in general.
Probably not Rapha itself, no.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 10:49 AM
  #233  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,038

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Is it still a boycott if you couldn't afford their stuff in the first place?
I’m not boycotting their stuff. I’m electing to purchase other brands instead for now
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:10 AM
  #234  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 39,818

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9271 Post(s)
Liked 4,132 Times in 2,213 Posts
I guess my package is taking a nice tour of our United States. Been a while since I've had bad shipping.

LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-06-22, 11:24 AM
  #235  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,286

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,349 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
I’m not boycotting their stuff. I’m electing to purchase other brands instead for now
After a couple disasters - Performance Ultra bibs, and The Black Bibs $60 bibs - I'm inclined to stick with Louis Garneau FitSensor bibs, because I know I can get through a 5 hour ride comfortably. Jerseys, I'm less picky, but it's always a question of cost on the one hand and fit on the other.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:24 AM
  #236  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 510

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
You're really not making the case for me to retire in PA.
San Fran - to PA ?

(why ?)
t2p is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:28 AM
  #237  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,286

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,349 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Fixed.
Years ago, he had a friend who was a contractor, who used to complain about things like the fall protection requirements. Then he fell, and screwed up his back.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:33 AM
  #238  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,286

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,349 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
San Fran - to PA ?

(why ?)
Because we live in one of the most expensive places to live in the entire world, AND we have a LOT of equity in the house. We can't afford to stay here without my current income.

I'd prefer to stay here the rest of my life, but that's not financially possible. And if it can't be here, it should be someplace I'm familiar with. Mrs. GeneJockey and I grew up in PA - well, just barely across the border in far Western NY for her, really. In any case, the Mid-Atlantic states are probably where we'll end up.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 12:10 PM
  #239  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5715 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,919 Posts
I have two matters involving OSHA that are currently ongoing. One a fall and the other an explosion. One involves a fatality. I've had others involving fatalities and serious injuries.

Overall, my experience is that the regulations make sense and do promote a safe workplace. The investigators also generally seem to be genuinely concerned about worker safety.

Management doesn't like the regs because it costs money to comply, and the fines can be very expensive. And, you need to be on your toes when OSHA pays a visit because the investigators are always looking for an opportunity to levy a fine or issue a citation. During my last inspection a couple of months ago, the inspector told me that he only saw one very minor and isolated issue that had nothing to do with why he was there, and told me that he would not write it up but we should fix it. That was a first. Usually you just get the citation.

Knowing what I know, I would not want to see the OSHA regs repealed, and that's coming from a guy who works with management on these things.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-06-22, 12:18 PM
  #240  
indyfabz
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,830
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,152 Times in 4,950 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Probably because someone, somewhere had to be told.

It reminds me of the saying my brother shared with me - "OSHA regulations are written in smoke and blood." - they exist because someone, somewhere got injured or killed.
I used to have a photo of a package of peanut butter crackers I bought for a snack while on tour. The label clearly identifies the product as peanut butter crackers. The label also reads "Contains Nuts".
indyfabz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 12:39 PM
  #241  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 2,079

Bikes: , 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
A fabulous ride in the books. I remember from past times, that the roads around here tend to be empty between noon and three. That held true today. I did the old regular route, same as last time. Good surface and 20 km between speed bumps---almost unheard of in these parts(on two lane roads). Headwind out and tailwind back. The rain began to fall as I was putting the bike away. 90A, partly overcast. Perfect.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 07-06-22, 12:40 PM
  #242  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 5,859

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5197 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Another sweaty ride done. Looks like I am KOM but likely to get kicked off the podium.
6 days off, starting today.


Luckily for you it’s suppose to rain every single Fin day.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 01:10 PM
  #243  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,286

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,349 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
A fabulous ride in the books. I remember from past times, that the roads around here tend to be empty between noon and three. That held true today. I did the old regular route, same as last time. Good surface and 20 km between speed bumps---almost unheard of in these parts(on two lane roads). Headwind out and tailwind back. The rain began to fall as I was putting the bike away. 90A, partly overcast. Perfect.
When I took a week off recently, I was pleased to discover that the roads are a lot emptier during normal working hours than they are when I ride after work, or when I used to ride before.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 01:11 PM
  #244  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,599

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19983 Post(s)
Liked 8,603 Times in 4,305 Posts
While I didn't get the dusty pink cardigan, you'll all be thrilled to know that my wife and I stumbled upon a crazy sale at J Crew - a bunch of stuff was $5. Like, a lot of stuff.

I got two (!!!) different pink shorts (one light pink, the other coral), and two lightweight knit hoodies ($90 each, regular price). Total retail for our items was $600+. We paid ~$57 with tax
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-06-22, 01:32 PM
  #245  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,655

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,196 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The price tags for the rubbed salmon filets at the Whole Foods near my NJ office read “CONTAINS FISH”.
Every time I think, "no one can be that stupid", someone comes along and proves me wrong. Every. Time.
Eric F is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 01:46 PM
  #246  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 38,399

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 526 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18208 Post(s)
Liked 5,204 Times in 2,549 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Because we live in one of the most expensive places to live in the entire world, AND we have a LOT of equity in the house. We can't afford to stay here without my current income.

I'd prefer to stay here the rest of my life, but that's not financially possible. And if it can't be here, it should be someplace I'm familiar with. Mrs. GeneJockey and I grew up in PA - well, just barely across the border in far Western NY for her, really. In any case, the Mid-Atlantic states are probably where we'll end up.
Can’t you rent out your house and live in the basement??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 01:50 PM
  #247  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 2,079

Bikes: , 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
While I didn't get the dusty pink cardigan, you'll all be thrilled to know that my wife and I stumbled upon a crazy sale at J Crew - a bunch of stuff was $5. Like, a lot of stuff.

I got two (!!!) different pink shorts (one light pink, the other coral), and two lightweight knit hoodies ($90 each, regular price). Total retail for our items was $600+. We paid ~$57 with tax
Dusty rose is my wife's favorite color. I wonder how that compares to dusty pink.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 01:55 PM
  #248  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,286

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,349 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Can’t you rent out your house and live in the basement??
This is California. We don't do basements.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 01:55 PM
  #249  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 2,079

Bikes: , 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
Dusty rose is my wife's favorite color. I wonder how that compares to dusty pink.
I had a Schwinn Prelude in Ice Pink, briefly. My first nicer bike. I went to a yard sale and asked if there were other bikes. They took me around back and showed it to me, and I remember I took an involuntary step back. I never got used to it and sold it. Some years later I ran across one in Midnight Mauve and bought that one. it is currently my town bike, with upright bars on it, rear rack, and panniers.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 01:56 PM
  #250  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 38,399

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 526 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18208 Post(s)
Liked 5,204 Times in 2,549 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
6 days off, starting today.


Luckily for you it’s suppose to rain every single Fin day.
Thanks for giving the rest of us a chance. So far, so good.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.