Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ear protection when pumping tires

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ear protection when pumping tires

Old 07-06-22, 11:10 AM
  #1  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Ear protection when pumping tires

Do any of you have like having hearing protection the pumping a tire? Recently ive had multiple blowouts (I sometimes get frustrated/rushed when patching tubes and reinstalling) and I have some anxiety around pumping tires up to pressure. Im pretty anal about hearing protection at work, and my ears have rung from blowouts, thinking of getting some earplugs to wear. Ive even been holding back on the pressure and keeping it at around 100-120 when I really want to be running 140+ on most tires because I just don't trust it not to explode.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:11 AM
  #2  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,143

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6851 Post(s)
Liked 6,748 Times in 3,799 Posts
No, and 140 is ridiculous.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:21 AM
  #3  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,370

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 371 Posts
140 is fine, but learn how to seat a tire properly.
smd4 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:22 AM
  #4  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
I recently got a pinch flat (snakebite doesn't lie) on my rear tire that I pumped to 120 the same day, was hauling easily 40 pounds of groceries so the total weight on the bike was well over 300 lbs. 140 on 23-25 rims is not crazy or abnormal considering the weight
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:24 AM
  #5  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4 View Post
140 is fine, but learn how to seat a tire properly.
kinda wanna work at a bike shop 1 day a week just to get better at fixing bikes, would have to be saturday or sunday.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:28 AM
  #6  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,143

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6851 Post(s)
Liked 6,748 Times in 3,799 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I recently got a pinch flat (snakebite doesn't lie) on my rear tire that I pumped to 120 the same day, was hauling easily 40 pounds of groceries so the total weight on the bike was well over 300 lbs. 140 on 23-25 rims is not crazy or abnormal considering the weight

You say so. I wouldn't put 300 pounds on 25s if I had a choice.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-06-22, 11:38 AM
  #7  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,136
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Do any of you have like having hearing protection the pumping a tire? Recently ive had multiple blowouts (I sometimes get frustrated/rushed when patching tubes and reinstalling) and I have some anxiety around pumping tires up to pressure. Im pretty anal about hearing protection at work, and my ears have rung from blowouts, thinking of getting some earplugs to wear. Ive even been holding back on the pressure and keeping it at around 100-120 when I really want to be running 140+ on most tires because I just don't trust it not to explode.
If you want hearing protection, use hearing protection. Earplugs are widely-available and cheap.

Make sure you're putting a bit of air in your tubes before seating the tire, and make sure the tubes aren't being pinched after seating before inflating.

...Maybe use wider tires, if they'll fit.
HTupolev is offline  
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-06-22, 11:41 AM
  #8  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 22,050

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3628 Post(s)
Liked 2,058 Times in 1,306 Posts
Slow is fast. Take the time to ensure that the tire is mounted straight and the tube isn't caught anywhere under the bead, and then you'll have more confidence taking it to full pressure. Earplugs aren't a bad idea, sometimes I stick them in if a tire needs a little extra pressure to seat.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-06-22, 11:45 AM
  #9  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Why do you guys think wider tires for heavier riders are ideal? Ive heard this but never understood it. I ride 23s just fine, my father also runs 23s and he is like 220-230 so a little smaller than me (262 currently) but still....
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:48 AM
  #10  
icemilkcoffee 
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 354 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
the total weight on the bike was well over 300 lbs. 140 on 23-25 rims is not crazy or abnormal considering the weight
The big question is why are you running 23mm tires? At that weight you should be riding on ~32mm
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 11:49 AM
  #11  
koala logs
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Try this, available in Walmart. Reusable, comfortable, and easy to clean and I use them to sleep when it's noisy.

It's also recommended for use in the shooting range. If gun users can use them, it can certainly work for exploding bike tires as well!
koala logs is online now  
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-06-22, 11:50 AM
  #12  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
The big question is why are you running 23mm tires? At that weight you should be riding on ~32mm
Because I want to be fast? Some of us dont trust the Big Gravel narrative that wide tires at lower pressure are just as fast as thin tires pumped up hard. Its really perverse frankly and its ruining your sport and nobody cares. its really sad tbh
LarrySellerz is offline  
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-06-22, 11:51 AM
  #13  
Rolla
Victimless Criminal
 
Rolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,512
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,691 Times in 1,197 Posts
So wear protection if you're paranoid about it; I don't see why its popularity is relevant.
Rolla is offline  
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-06-22, 11:55 AM
  #14  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,272

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6175 Post(s)
Liked 6,523 Times in 3,342 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Why do you guys think wider tires for heavier riders are ideal? Ive heard this but never understood it. I ride 23s just fine, my father also runs 23s and he is like 220-230 so a little smaller than me (262 currently) but still....
So, in one post you say you've pinchflatted 25s even at your ungodly high inflation pressures, and then you say you ride 23s just fine. Choose an opinion and stick with it.

As for why wider tires for heavier riders, because they compress less at the same pressure, so you don't have to pump them rock hard to avoid pinchflatting.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 11:57 AM
  #15  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Because I want to be fast? Some of us dont trust the Big Gravel narrative that wide tires at lower pressure are just as fast as thin tires pumped up hard. Its really perverse frankly and its ruining your sport and nobody cares. its really sad tbh

LOL ....ruining the sport ?? ..... and just the dozens of thread on tire pressure on BF shows that many people actually do care. There is some pretty good data out there that says that for your average rider a wider tire at lower PSI is faster up to a certain speed. I use the wider tires because a 32 at 70 psi is both faster and more comfortable for me that a 25 at 120 PSI. A lot more comfortable and quite a bit faster BTW.

Also if you need hearing protection from blowing out so many tires you need to work on your tire mounting skills.
Rdmonster69 is offline  
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-06-22, 11:57 AM
  #16  
koala logs
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 101 Posts
Heavy, fast, 23mm that's suicidal bro. You'll end up slower to your destination anyway if you're flatting often. But the critical issue here is safety.
koala logs is online now  
Old 07-06-22, 11:58 AM
  #17  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 476 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
the Big Gravel narrative that wide tires at lower pressure are just as fast as thin tires pumped up hard. Its really perverse frankly and its ruining your sport and nobody cares. its really sad tbh
Jawn.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-06-22, 11:58 AM
  #18  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,272

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6175 Post(s)
Liked 6,523 Times in 3,342 Posts
As far as hearing protection, try pumping the tires to 40-60 psi, then checking all around both sides of the rim to see that the tire is seated properly and you haven't left any of the tube pinched between the rim and the bead. THEN pump it the rest of the way. I've been doing it that way longer than you've been alive and have had zero blowouts from pinched tubes.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 12:02 PM
  #19  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,272

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6175 Post(s)
Liked 6,523 Times in 3,342 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Because I want to be fast? Some of us dont trust the Big Gravel narrative that wide tires at lower pressure are just as fast as thin tires pumped up hard. Its really perverse frankly and its ruining your sport and nobody cares. its really sad tbh
My fastest bike runs on 28s pumped up to 80F/85R. The slowest is on 23s pumped up to 105/110.
Add to this that TdF riders are also riding wider tires at lower pressures, and achieving higher speeds.
What would your Scientist coworkers think of you if you told them you were denying empirical data to favor wishful thinking?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 12:07 PM
  #20  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4248 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
So, in one post you say you've pinchflatted 25s even at your ungodly high inflation pressures, and then you say you ride 23s just fine. Choose an opinion and stick with it.

As for why wider tires for heavier riders, because they compress less at the same pressure, so you don't have to pump them rock hard to avoid pinchflatting.
Isn't it all relative? A 23 pumped to 140 psi will deflect (same tire drop) the same 15% as a 30mm tire pumped to 95psi. The same 'compressability' ?
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 12:07 PM
  #21  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
So, in one post you say you've pinchflatted 25s even at your ungodly high inflation pressures, and then you say you ride 23s just fine. Choose an opinion and stick with it.

As for why wider tires for heavier riders, because they compress less at the same pressure, so you don't have to pump them rock hard to avoid pinchflatting.
I pinchflatted 25s because they were underinflated for the type of riding I was doing (hauling groceries.) I needed 130+ in them, and frankly in terms of historical tire pressures this isn't even abnormally high. Back in the day much lighter people went to higher pressures. Thin tires for heavy riders are perfectly fine as long as they are inflated properly
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 12:08 PM
  #22  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,370

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
The big question is why are you running 23mm tires? At that weight you should be riding on ~32mm
I'll ride 23s or less until I'm ready for some upright fuddy-duddy bike with upright bars, a massively-wide gel saddle and wide mushy tires--or a wheelchair, whichever comes first. What size tires do you recommend for the wheelchair, if you don't mind me asking?
smd4 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 12:11 PM
  #23  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,272

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6175 Post(s)
Liked 6,523 Times in 3,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
Isn't it all relative? A 23 pumped to 140 psi will deflect (same tire drop) the same 15% as a 30mm tire pumped to 95psi. The same 'compressability' ?
Yes, hence "at the same pressure."

PV = nRT. It's not just a good idea. It's the Law.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 12:13 PM
  #24  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,272

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6175 Post(s)
Liked 6,523 Times in 3,342 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I pinchflatted 25s because they were underinflated for the type of riding I was doing (hauling groceries.) I needed 130+ in them, and frankly in terms of historical tire pressures this isn't even abnormally high. Back in the day much lighter people went to higher pressures. Thin tires for heavy riders are perfectly fine as long as they are inflated properly
Why not just get solid tires? No hearing protection needed, no pinchflats.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 12:13 PM
  #25  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4 View Post
I'll ride 23s or less until I'm ready for some upright fuddy-duddy bike with upright bars, a massively-wide gel saddle and wide mushy tires--or a wheelchair, whichever comes first. What size tires do you recommend for the wheelchair, if you don't mind me asking?
My bike with 32's is not a gravel bike, has drop bars and is strictly made for the road. Also has a pretty narrow saddle and isn't an "upright fuddy duddy" by a long shot..

Have fun on your 23s. I ran mine at 120-130 for years and the whole set up about rattled my teeth out. 32s at 70-80 psi are smooth as butter and fast. Far faster than my bikes with 23's and 25's.
Rdmonster69 is offline  
Likes For Rdmonster69:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.