Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ear protection when pumping tires

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ear protection when pumping tires

Old 07-06-22, 05:41 PM
  #126  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,277

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 6,535 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums View Post
Has no one else ever wondered if Larry is a performance artist? His posts are just on the edge of troll, yet good enough to attract not only the Usual Suspects but the most credible members. I always think that Larry is just shy of absurd, but the best people here still give him the benefit of the doubt (for which I admire them). But there comes a point where I am asking myself, (as we say up near Boston) are you shifting me?
Well, if he's a performance artist, he really commits to the work, because I have met him IRL, and he really is as large and as shirtless as he claims.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 05:46 PM
  #127  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,658
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked 1,305 Times in 817 Posts
I rode a 23mm front tire on PBP in 2019. PBP is 1218 km over several days and nights.. No problems and no kittens died. I'm fine generally with 25 mm tires. Yes, I have ridden wide, supple for tens of thousands of miles. Conti GP5000 25 mm work best for me.

I'm 220 and bike with gear was 45lbs although was maybe 205 then.

We do not know if TdF riders are on 23, 25, or 28 mm tubies at any given stage. I guarantee they have a narrow tire up front on a TT
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 05:59 PM
  #128  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
What would you tell a 150lb rider who comes into your shop and says he wants to try 32mm wide tires?
idk probably recommend them thicc slicks to try and make them laugh
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 06:20 PM
  #129  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Your mother, because she never really loved you. But, Big Gravel loves you and wants to help you.

Thanks Big Gravel !!

I'm going back to the dumpster Vodka thread for a while
Rdmonster69 is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 06:34 PM
  #130  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,135

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
Why do you guys think wider tires for heavier riders are ideal? Ive heard this but never understood it. I ride 23s just fine, my father also runs 23s and he is like 220-230 so a little smaller than me (262 currently) but still....
Just a little science if I may. The ability of the tire to support weight is based on the area of the tire contact patch and the air pressure. There was a sketch in Post 84 I think, which illustrated this point in a side view. If you are going to support ⅔ of the 300# on the rear tire, it has to have 2 square inches on the ground when squished by the 200#, and 100 psi, less area if you pump up to 160 or whatever. Your 23mm tire is less than 1" wide, so no matter how high you can pump that tire is badly distorted. For the sidewalls to splay out from under the rim, which tends to pull the bead area away from where it is seated, under normal conditions (more like 100 # for the tire).

When you tend to pull the tire away from the bead the bead might just give a bit and make a small gap. The big-time tire pressure can force the tube to stretch out through that litlle gap and blow through that hole like a balloon. Moments later it bursts like a balloon with a sound like a rifle shot next to your ear.

The sidewall of your tire should have the maximum tire pressure molded into the side. One should never fill the tires up higher than that, and actually it's most likely supposed to be an absolute maximum that is never supposed to be exceeded. This is something your new boss at the bike shop will tell you, accompanied by a dope slap (if you watch NCIS). This problem is especially likely if you are too hasty when you install a tire and not careful about getting all those bits you cannot see to settle into the correct spot.

Bottom line, for this weight you are wrong to use that skinny tire on a skinny rim with that much weight. No offense intended, just some straight talk.

A wider tire and rim will not distort so badly, and can handle the load with much less added pressure.

I know these things because I'm an engineer. We know everything, or at least a lot about simple mechanics and machines.

No, I had it wrong; we know everything. (LOL!)

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-07-22 at 08:52 AM.
Road Fan is offline  
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 07-06-22, 06:50 PM
  #131  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,259

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 2,388 Times in 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
I pinchflatted 25s because they were underinflated for the type of riding I was doing (hauling groceries.) I needed 130+ in them, and frankly in terms of historical tire pressures this isn't even abnormally high. Back in the day much lighter people went to higher pressures. Thin tires for heavy riders are perfectly fine as long as they are inflated properly
You pinch flatted because you didn't look where the hell you were going.
cxwrench is offline  
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-06-22, 06:58 PM
  #132  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 791 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
What would you tell a 150lb rider who comes into your shop and says he wants to try 32mm wide tires?
My daughter, who weighs considerably less than that, just got a Trek Domane that comes with 32mm tires. (The shop did do its part, however, by pumping them up to a stupidly high pressure.)
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-06-22, 07:11 PM
  #133  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
Just a little science if I may. The ability of the tire to support weight is based on the area of the tire contact patch and the air pressure. If you are going to support ⅔ of the 300# on the rear tire, it has to have 2 square inches on the ground when squished by the 200#. Your 23mm tire is less than 1" wide, so no matter how high you can pump that tire is badly distorted. For the sidewalls to splay out from under the rim, which tends to pull the bead area away from where it is seated, under normal conditions (more like 100 # for the tire).

When you tend to pull the tire away from the bead the bead might just give a bit and make a small gap. The big-time tire pressure can force the tube to stretch out through that litlle gap and blow through that hole like a balloon. Moments later it bursts like a balloon with a sound like a rifle shot next to your ear.

The sidewall of your tire should have the maximum tire pressure molded into the side. One should never fill the tires up higher than that, and actually it's most likely supposed to be an absolute maximum that is never supposed to be exceeded. This is something your new boss at the bike shop will tell you, accompanied by a dope slap (if you watch NCIS). This problem is especially likely if you are too hasty when you install a tire and not careful about getting all those bits you cannot see to settle into the correct spot.

Bottom line, for this weight you are wrong to use that skinny tire on a skinny rim with that much weight. No offense intended, just some straight talk.

A wider tire and rim will not distort so badly, and can handle the load with much less added pressure.

I know these things because I'm an engineer. We know everything, or at least a lot about simple mechanics and machines.

No, I had it wrong; we know everything. (LOL!)
If youre an engineer you should know that you can pump tires higher than the recommended pressure range, its not going to fail because you put an extra 20 psi in it. Heck you could probably run almost double. Whats gonna happen, the rim fails? 23s are perfectly safe, ive never had a shop tell me im too heavy to ride 23s.
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 07:11 PM
  #134  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 510

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 121 Posts
no votes for 18's ?

18's pumped to ... 160 psi ?
t2p is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 07:12 PM
  #135  
LarrySellerz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
You pinch flatted because you didn't look where the hell you were going.
shouldn't matter if its properly inflated, evidently there wasn't enough pressure because I managed to get a pinch flat. Thats like saying "you shouldn't have hopped the curb if you didn't want a pinch flat" like youre kind of right but its ignoring the root cause,
LarrySellerz is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 07:13 PM
  #136  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,241

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,090 Posts
Yes ear protection whilst pumping your tires up to 140 psi is essential. Some wear Bluetooth ear buds while listening to music to accomplish this. I’d like to point out just how truly dangerous this is as you won’t be aware of who might be driving up behind you. And you won’t be able to jump out of the garage in time to save yourself!

Yes, this is a parody thread. It has not disappointed!
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 07:15 PM
  #137  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer69 View Post
140 lbs?!!
I’d recommend a jockstrap as well - if that tire lets go there’s going to rubber shrapnel everywhere.
Why do you think a tire rated for 145 psi would “let go” at 140? You guys sure seem like a nervous bunch!
smd4 is online now  
Old 07-06-22, 07:16 PM
  #138  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,995
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 589 Posts
Six pages and counting. Larry may well set a new personal record for this absurd thread. Is there a Strava record for this?
alcjphil is online now  
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-06-22, 07:20 PM
  #139  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,241

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
If youre an engineer you should know that you can pump tires higher than the recommended pressure range, its not going to fail because you put an extra 20 psi in it. Heck you could probably run almost double. Whats gonna happen, the rim fails? 23s are perfectly safe, ive never had a shop tell me im too heavy to ride 23s.
I think BF should consider legal disclaimers on posts like these. Following Larry’s advise here could get someone hurt!

I’ve had a tire blow off the rim at the recommended maximum inflation of 90 PSI. I don’t know why but blow off it did. It even appeared to be properly seated.
MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-06-22, 07:20 PM
  #140  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,241

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4 View Post
Why do you think a tire rated for 145 psi would “let go” at 140? You guys sure seem like a nervous bunch!
How do you feel about 160 PSI?
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 07:24 PM
  #141  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,387

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
I rode a 23mm front tire on PBP in 2019. PBP is 1218 km over several days and nights.. No problems and no kittens died.
2019? It would have been puppies back then.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-06-22, 07:29 PM
  #142  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
How do you feel about 160 PSI?
Not in a tire rated for 145.
smd4 is online now  
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-06-22, 07:35 PM
  #143  
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 791 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Well, if he's a performance artist, he really commits to the work, because I have met him IRL, and he really is as large and as shirtless as he claims.
This is as close to a confession as we are likely to see.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-06-22, 07:44 PM
  #144  
icemilkcoffee 
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
If youre an engineer you should know that you can pump tires higher than the recommended pressure range, its not going to fail because you put an extra 20 psi in it. Heck you could probably run almost double. Whats gonna happen, the rim fails? 23s are perfectly safe, ive never had a shop tell me im too heavy to ride 23s.
There is a maximum pressure printed on the tire for a reason. You are tempting fate by putting in an extra 20psi. And by the way, 140psi is most likely higher than the maximum pressure rating for your clincher rim as well. For example I found this maximum pressure chart for Easton rims:
https://wheelbuilder.com/content/EastonRimPressure.pdf
Note that for 23mm tire, the maximum pressure is 120psi. Clincher rims/tires are not designed to be run at 140psi. You need to run tubular tires if you insist on running at that pressure.
icemilkcoffee is online now  
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-06-22, 08:00 PM
  #145  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,323
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5078 Post(s)
Liked 7,428 Times in 3,225 Posts
How did I miss this thread?

LarrySellerz , a while back many of us told you that running a psi that is 50% over the recommended max is foolish. It's the reason why you're blowing tires.

You don't need ear protection; you just need some common sense.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-06-22, 08:08 PM
  #146  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,135

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz View Post
If youre an engineer you should know that you can pump tires higher than the recommended pressure range, its not going to fail because you put an extra 20 psi in it. Heck you could probably run almost double. Whats gonna happen, the rim fails? 23s are perfectly safe, ive never had a shop tell me im too heavy to ride 23s.
I said the tire shape was distorted AND the beads were not set in properly, since you said you are in too much of a hurry to do that carefully, in your first or second post. You're right the carcass is not likely to burst. Bike shop folks will train you how to make customer's bikes safe, and one of those techniques is not to over inflate, as well as to install tires properly. And it's not just about catastrophic failure, it's about accelerated wear, for example wearing throgh the tread too fast, exposing the cords, and then having the carcass fail. There are a bunch of hazardous scenarios which are not generally safe.

You might think this is all crap but if that blowout had happened while you are on a mountain road in a fast, tight curve at 30 mph, your ride could have a really bad ending.

As far as the rim failing, I don't know if it will or worn't with that much stress pushing the sides out. But I would suggest not taking the chance. I've just been reading a wheel builder talking about how he cannot guarantee handmade wheels made of rims he can'r be sure of or did not supply, because he's seen cracks running from spoke hole to spoke hole in some used rims which customers have wanted him to re-use. This actually does sound like rims which could separate.
Road Fan is offline  
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 07-06-22, 08:08 PM
  #147  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
Clincher rims/tires are not designed to be run at 140psi. You need to run tubular tires if you insist on running at that pressure.
Nonsense. You think a rim’s printed “maximum pressure” is the absolute top end, and a few pounds over and “she’ll blow?” You guys ever hear of proof testing?

You guys would need a change of underwear when my steam locomotive goes over it’s MAWP of 190.
smd4 is online now  
Old 07-06-22, 08:08 PM
  #148  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,277

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 6,535 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
How do you feel about 160 PSI?
I think you mean, 290 psi.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 08:13 PM
  #149  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,277

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 6,535 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4 View Post
Nonsense. You think a rim’s printed “maximum pressure” is the absolute top end, and a few pounds over and “she’ll blow?” You guys ever hear of proof testing?

You guys would need a change of underwear when my steam locomotive goes over it’s MAWP of 190.
Is the boiler made of lightweight aluminum less than 2mm thick?
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 08:16 PM
  #150  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Is the boiler made of lightweight aluminum less than 2mm thick?
Dumb comparison. The question isn’t about materials, its about factors of safety.

You think a manufacturer isn’t going to build in some extra safety on top of its “max” recommendation?
smd4 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.