Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Bike New Gear

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old Bike New Gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 06:55 PM
BeeRich

Bikes: MEC Côte, Ironhorse MT700R, a Spinner, Nishiki Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Old Bike New Gear

Hi folks. 1992 IronHorse MT700R. This is my baby.

Replaced the chain because of chain stretch.
Found the stretch was significant. So, measured the chain according to the link count. So it's effectively shorter.

Found significant chain skip, mostly on mid-range gears. Dang, cassette should be eroded and sprockets all messed up. (see images) I'm not versed on cog/tooth design for better shifting, and what a proper design should look like.

Replaced cassette, slightly different tooth counts, but ya. Problems moving in and out of gears...

Anybody know how to troubleshoot this?

The rear derailleur is lubercated, so I'm thinking the upper pulley might be a bit close for some reason. Not sure if this is correct, but I think it is that. Do I use adjustment screws to keep it away from the new hub? Or can I just increase the distance by taking out another link in the chain?

Options? Ideas?

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
old cassette 1.JPG (128.5 KB, 185 views)
old cassette 2.JPG (154.8 KB, 189 views)
old cassette 3.JPG (159.5 KB, 188 views)
new cassette & ring.JPG (156.5 KB, 187 views)
new cassette & ring 2.JPG (114.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 07-07-22, 06:50 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Did you put a different sized cassette on? It looks like a larger range. If so, your derailleur may not have the chain wrap capacity needed.

Carefully shift into the large/large combination, but don't force it if the chain is too short. The derailleur pulley axles should be at a roughly 45 degree angle to the ground. Then try small/small--the chain should just about be touching the top pulley. If you can't achieve those conditions, you'll need a different cassette or derailleur.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 07-07-22, 03:36 PM
BeeRich

Old cassette was 11-27 teeth.
New cassette is 12-32 teeth.

But the issues are across the range. Looks like it needs some tuning for me to be sure what's going on.

Small-small works, but I don't use that combination.

Large-Large doesn't work, as the cage plate tab hits the sprocket. But I don't use that combination anyway. But I see what you mean by replacing the cassette to make this work.
Old 07-07-22, 03:56 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Try tightening the b-limit screw. It will help get the derailleur further away from the large cogs.. not sure, but I think that xt derailleur should be able to do 32.
Old 07-07-22, 04:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
You installed a new cassette and chain. Your RD needs some fine tuning on the cable adjustment.
Old 07-07-22, 09:52 PM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by nick_a
Try tightening the b-limit screw. It will help get the derailleur further away from the large cogs.. not sure, but I think that xt derailleur should be able to do 32.
Ya the tab that keeps the chain on the pulley, knocks the teeth. Never did that before. That outer cog is a big one.
Old 07-07-22, 09:53 PM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by dedhed
You installed a new cassette and chain. Your RD needs some fine tuning on the cable adjustment.
Will be assessing just that in the next couple of days. Cheers
Old 07-07-22, 10:21 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
The size of the small tooth is not the dealbreaker here, the size of the big cog at 32 is an absolute and complete dealbreaker. There is no 'adjusting' out of a size mismatch that large (27T - 32T). A new chain, long enough to wrap the big/big combination of the now much larger big rear cog needs to be made. And, yes, it is entirely possible that a bike sold with an 11-27 cog may need a new RD to shift a 12-32.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-08-22, 12:13 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The size of the small tooth is not the dealbreaker here, the size of the big cog at 32 is an absolute and complete dealbreaker. There is no 'adjusting' out of a size mismatch that large (27T - 32T). A new chain, long enough to wrap the big/big combination of the now much larger big rear cog needs to be made. And, yes, it is entirely possible that a bike sold with an 11-27 cog may need a new RD to shift a 12-32.
The chain is new, and I have the extra links. But I've never used the large-large combination. It's a 3-by-7. Plenty of combinations to get that large-large combination, without bending that combination. I'll give it a tune-up and give it a whirl.
Old 07-08-22, 12:35 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeRich
The chain is new, and I have the extra links. But I've never used the large-large combination. It's a 3-by-7. Plenty of combinations to get that large-large combination, without bending that combination. I'll give it a tune-up and give it a whirl.
Spit happens. You never used the large-large intentionally. Are you sure it's NEVER happened? It wouldn't have mattered. Your old chain was sized properly, and there would not have been any damage even if the large-large was selected accidentally. Now, your chain is way too short and may not even be long enough for a reasonable combination, I don't know. It's always wise to follow the best practice for a given operation. The cage on that derailleur is definitely a 'medium'. Will it clear a 32T? It is far more likely that the old cassette was 12-27 and the new one is 11-32 (8sp!!) than what you have said in the o.p. As I suggested in your other thread, you are best off taking this bike to a co-op and you can watch them work.
Old 07-08-22, 02:31 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Spit happens. You never used the large-large intentionally. Are you sure it's NEVER happened? It wouldn't have mattered. Your old chain was sized properly, and there would not have been any damage even if the large-large was selected accidentally. Now, your chain is way too short and may not even be long enough for a reasonable combination, I don't know. It's always wise to follow the best practice for a given operation. The cage on that derailleur is definitely a 'medium'. Will it clear a 32T? It is far more likely that the old cassette was 12-27 and the new one is 11-32 (8sp!!) than what you have said in the o.p. As I suggested in your other thread, you are best off taking this bike to a co-op and you can watch them work.
So now you think I can't count cogs. Like I said, taking a bike anywhere in this town means you don't see your bike. I can get the RD to use the largest cog, but not with the largest chainring. I have the old and new cassettes here. 11-27 to 12-32.
Old 07-08-22, 05:20 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The inner cage of that derailleur is upside down. The tab should be at the bottom, not the top
Old 07-08-22, 05:25 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The inner cage of that derailleur is upside down. The tab should be at the bottom, not the top
Oh well that should certainly help. Thank you. I replaced the pulleys last year.
Old 07-08-22, 06:38 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
BeeRich: I don't understand the reluctance to get the chain length right. You seem to have the mechanical aptitude but lack experience. Park Tool videos (among others) can remedy that in this case. I suppose if you want a quick way, you could add 5 half links (count 5 pins/rollers) to what you have and be in the ballpark. Then you can focus on rear derailleur adjustment knowing that the short chain isn't affecting the derailleur in the larger combinations. Again, plenty of good videos to guide you.
Old 07-08-22, 09:00 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
BeeRich: I don't understand the reluctance to get the chain length right. You seem to have the mechanical aptitude but lack experience. Park Tool videos (among others) can remedy that in this case. I suppose if you want a quick way, you could add 5 half links (count 5 pins/rollers) to what you have and be in the ballpark. Then you can focus on rear derailleur adjustment knowing that the short chain isn't affecting the derailleur in the larger combinations. Again, plenty of good videos to guide you.
No reluctance at all. Like I previously posted, I have a brand new chain which I sized according to the last setup with the last cassette, and I have the extra links. Simple to add some. I was also told the back of the cage is upside down, so that should help as well. In fact I'll be trying that first. Lots to move on, just need the time.
Old 07-08-22, 10:36 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

No reluctance at all. Like I previously posted, I have a brand new chain which I sized according to the last setup with the last cassette, and I have the extra links. Simple to add some. I was also told the back of the cage is upside down, so that should help as well. In fact I'll be trying that first. Lots to move on, just need the time.
But you changed to a different size cassette.

Even simpler to just do it right the first time.

"We do it right because we do it twice"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-08-22, 10:43 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by dedhed
But you changed to a different size cassette.

Even simpler to just do it right the first time.

"We do it right because we do it twice"
If you have that much time to research bicycle parts for days. If you look closely, that's why I'm asking in here. It's a bike forum, in a section called Bicycle Mechanics.
Old 07-08-22, 11:28 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You sized a chain for a 27T cog and then installed a cassette that needs a chain 1-1/4" longer. (on paper)
When on BIG:BIG, you need 1-2" of "slack" like in the pic below.

I know what you're saying, but I don't see how that image has any relevance. You're just pinching a chain. Is there no more chain left? I don't use big:big, and it is often spoken about to avoid using such.
Old 07-08-22, 11:30 AM
mitchmellow62

I'm not sure we're getting through. General consensus is to lengthen the chain and then see about derailleur adjustment. But it's your bike so I wish the best of luck.
Old 07-08-22, 11:30 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I know what you're saying, but I don't see how that image has any relevance. You're just pinching a chain. Is there no more chain left? I don't use big:big, and it is often spoken about to avoid using such.
You're not even very good at being obtuse.
Ignore list.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 07-08-22, 11:31 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
I'm not sure we're getting through. General consensus is to lengthen the chain and then see about derailleur adjustment. But it's your bike so I wish the best of luck.
OK, this is what I actually took out of the previous post before I submitted: "I will repeat, it's a new chain and I have links. I have no reservation lengthening it."

I've now said it at least twice. What part is confusing?
Old 07-08-22, 11:32 AM
BeeRich

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You're not even very good at being obtuse.
Ignore list.
Why not explain your image?
Old 07-08-22, 11:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this...the upper pulley is supposed to have a little side-to-side play on Shimano derailleurs.

It sounds like the derailleur just needs proper adjusting for the new cassette. If you're not familiar with the process, there are tons of videos on YouTube on what to do and how to do it. If that doesn't work for you, I would suggest seeking professional help from your LBS.
Old 07-08-22, 11:50 AM
mitchmellow62

OK, this is what I actually took out of the previous post before I submitted: "I will repeat, it's a new chain and I have links. I have no reservation lengthening it."

I've now said it at least twice. What part is confusing?
So do it and report the results.
Old 07-08-22, 12:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

If you have that much time to research bicycle parts for days. If you look closely, that's why I'm asking in here. It's a bike forum, in a section called Bicycle Mechanics.
And multiple posters have said install chain to correct length, fix derailleur cage, and adjust
Likes For dedhed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.