Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedros tire levers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pedros tire levers

Old 07-28-20, 05:51 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Pedros tire levers

Just a heads up if anyone wants thicker, wider tire levers. I know Schwalbe seems to have changed their tolerances because I know the Schwalbe Land Cruiser is medium-fitting in my opinion but yesterday I took off (with a considerable amount of force) some tight Schwalbe 26" Ranger Cruiser tires on some Rhyno Lite rims. It was EXTREMELY tight and the only time in my life I had tires installed at a bike shop. Anyway, let's see if I can add a picture. (By the way, the Maxxis Overdrive Excel tires were loose-fitting so I was able to install them myself on the Rhyno Lites even though it took some effort.) (This is not a paid ad, just grateful I got them.)

Pedros tire levers
Old 07-28-20, 05:55 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Pedros makes some good stuff.

I have a pair of steel Park Tool irons for emergencies.
Old 07-28-20, 06:32 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
If levers don't work, could always try a tire bead jack:
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-28-20, 07:23 PM
Amber1988

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This tire lever can work with 1/4" tool bits

Old 07-28-20, 07:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Personally, I like the Park plastic levers.
Old 07-28-20, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
At one of the shops I managed I had mechanics start dating each Pedros lever because it felt like they were going through a pair a week. I prefer to use the Crank Brothers Speedier Lever. Way easier to use no harm to the knuckles and has an install side for those tougher beads. I rarely need two levers from them and my personal main use lever is now 7 years old or so.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-28-20, 11:59 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
At one of the shops I managed I had mechanics start dating each Pedros lever because it felt like they were going through a pair a week. I prefer to use the Crank Brothers Speedier Lever. Way easier to use no harm to the knuckles and has an install side for those tougher beads. I rarely need two levers from them and my personal main use lever is now 7 years old or so.
I'm with you on the Crank Brothers Speedier. I no longer fear a tight fitting tire unless I am on a ride and don't have it with me. Plus no sore thumbs from trying to get the tire on.
Likes For katsup:
Old 07-29-20, 01:41 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
at home i just use a lonf wide flat head screw driver wrapped in electrical tape , best tire lever i have , on the road i carry a metal lever and a plastic one both from wal mart extra cheap !!
Old 07-29-20, 05:17 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
If levers don't work, could always try a tire bead jack:
Anyone have any luck with one of these? Got one cause it looked like a great tool, but the couple of times I tried to use it didn't work out so well. IIRC could never get the hook end to stay on the edge of the bead. Ended up going back to just thumbs.
Old 07-29-20, 06:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
No matter the lever, keeping the tire in the rim bed where you aren't currently working on it is key. Sometimes you think it is, but it isn't. Then I'll see that and fix it by putting it back in the bed, and it gives me that bit extra.

I use the pedros. Usually just to get em off quicker. Working the tire into the bed usually makes it so I can get it with fingers. Well, if the fingers as dripping in sweat on a hot day.......back to pedros!
Old 07-29-20, 07:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Back when I started, tire levers were chromed steel. Plastic wouldn't have been considered by anyone.

Fast forward 45 years, and you find that Pedro's levers are indeed the best lever made. No question.

I also have two of the Crank Brothers Speedier, a useful tool for quick re-seating of the second bead. And I have a KoolStop tire bead jack that I carry on my commuter because Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are difficult to change/mount. Fortunately, flats are rare with those tires.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-29-20, 06:00 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Pedros levers for stiff, nasty, wire bead tires. I've broken my share of tire levers, but my first pair of Pedros is still going strong. (And they're pink, so everyone knows that they're tough.)
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-30-20, 09:56 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Anyone have any luck with one of these? Got one cause it looked like a great tool, but the couple of times I tried to use it didn't work out so well. IIRC could never get the hook end to stay on the edge of the bead. Ended up going back to just thumbs.
First time I tried it on a new foldable Conti Gatorskin it bent my rim and didn't get the tire on. Granted it was an old rim with worn brake surfaces, but still disappointing. The incident did teach me the virtues of soapy water, which is how I finally got the bugger on, with my thumbs!
Old 07-30-20, 12:26 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I have an old mtb, much easier tire repair than roadies, but when seeing a brand new pair of Pedros in a thrift store for $1.99....
Old 07-30-20, 01:13 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I bought one a few years ago but have rarely used it, mostly because when I end up with tight tires I don't buy them again. It does work well for me.
Old 07-30-20, 08:54 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Back when I started, tire levers were chromed steel. Plastic wouldn't have been considered by anyone.

Fast forward 45 years, and you find that Pedro's levers are indeed the best lever made. No question.

I also have two of the Crank Brothers Speedier, a useful tool for quick re-seating of the second bead. And I have a KoolStop tire bead jack that I carry on my commuter because Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are difficult to change/mount. Fortunately, flats are rare with those tires.
So you started road biking 43 years ago? so that was in 1975, correct? I started myself in 1976, in 1976 I bought my first road bike, a Trek TX900, and with that Trek I bought my first flat repair kit with tire irons...mine was made of aluminum. Aluminum tire levers came out because of aluminum rims, and the steel would damage the rims. Aluminum rims go back to 1937, but I can't find when aluminum tire levers first come came out, but they've had to be out for a long time due to aluminum rims. There were chrome steel levers as you mentioned but those were used on chrome steel rims, so were you riding on steel chrome wheels back in the mid 70's?

Tire lever wise I have a 1/2 set of Pedros, one broke due to being used in cold weather, a problem with plastic. I use Soma steel core levers, they're not quite as bulky as the Pedros but far stronger, they can't crack in the cold because they can't flex. Another tire lever I use is the VAR, extremely good at putting on very tough tires, and it can fit in a standard seat bag.
Old 08-02-20, 02:57 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
So you started road biking 43 years ago? so that was in 1975, correct? I started myself in 1976, in 1976 I bought my first road bike, a Trek TX900, and with that Trek I bought my first flat repair kit with tire irons...mine was made of aluminum. Aluminum tire levers came out because of aluminum rims, and the steel would damage the rims. Aluminum rims go back to 1937, but I can't find when aluminum tire levers first come came out, but they've had to be out for a long time due to aluminum rims. There were chrome steel levers as you mentioned but those were used on chrome steel rims, so were you riding on steel chrome wheels back in the mid 70's?
I did ride on chrome rims on two bikes the early 70s. On my Mercier, I had a set of alloy rims strung using the Normandy hubs. I didn't realize that I could have done it myself. Yes, I started in 1972/3 or so.
Old 08-02-20, 03:24 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Schwalbe tires can only be removed with Schwalbe tire levers dummkopf

Old 08-02-20, 09:22 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
If you want to read about how Schwalbe feels about some rims and tires being harder to mount and how you can deal with it then read here:https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tech

It’s an amazingly detailed document covering the company and it’s products Did you know they make a fluid called “Easy Fit” that can help ? Also they talk about tried and true techniques like holding down a section of the tire with a toe strap or zip tie while working on it Highly recommended.

BTW, that little brochure that we all throw away when unwrapping a tire was where I got that link. Enjoy.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 08-02-20 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 07:18 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
If you want to read about how Schwalbe feels about some rims and tires being harder to mount and how you can deal with it then read here:https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tech

It’s an amazingly detailed document covering the company and it’s products Did you know they make a fluid called “Easy Fit” that can help ? Also they talk about tried and true techniques like holding down a section of the tire with a toe strap or zip tie while working on it Highly recommended.

BTW, that little brochure that we all throw away when unwrapping a tire was where I got that link. Enjoy.
Ive been using home made Easy Fit for years. A little something I call soapy water.
Old 08-03-20, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Old 08-03-20, 07:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
(And they're pink, so everyone knows that they're tough.)
I have pink ones in my road bike bag. Yellow ones I my touring bike bag.