Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ear protection when pumping tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ear protection when pumping tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 05:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Has no one else ever wondered if Larry is a performance artist? His posts are just on the edge of troll, yet good enough to attract not only the Usual Suspects but the most credible members. I always think that Larry is just shy of absurd, but the best people here still give him the benefit of the doubt (for which I admire them). But there comes a point where I am asking myself, (as we say up near Boston) are you shifting me?
Well, if he's a performance artist, he really commits to the work, because I have met him IRL, and he really is as large and as shirtless as he claims.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 05:46 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I rode a 23mm front tire on PBP in 2019. PBP is 1218 km over several days and nights.. No problems and no kittens died. I'm fine generally with 25 mm tires. Yes, I have ridden wide, supple for tens of thousands of miles. Conti GP5000 25 mm work best for me.

I'm 220 and bike with gear was 45lbs although was maybe 205 then.

We do not know if TdF riders are on 23, 25, or 28 mm tubies at any given stage. I guarantee they have a narrow tire up front on a TT
Old 07-06-22, 05:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
What would you tell a 150lb rider who comes into your shop and says he wants to try 32mm wide tires?
idk probably recommend them thicc slicks to try and make them laugh
Old 07-06-22, 06:20 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Your mother, because she never really loved you. But, Big Gravel loves you and wants to help you.

Thanks Big Gravel !!

I'm going back to the dumpster Vodka thread for a while
Old 07-06-22, 06:34 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Why do you guys think wider tires for heavier riders are ideal? Ive heard this but never understood it. I ride 23s just fine, my father also runs 23s and he is like 220-230 so a little smaller than me (262 currently) but still....
Just a little science if I may. The ability of the tire to support weight is based on the area of the tire contact patch and the air pressure. There was a sketch in Post 84 I think, which illustrated this point in a side view. If you are going to support ⅔ of the 300# on the rear tire, it has to have 2 square inches on the ground when squished by the 200#, and 100 psi, less area if you pump up to 160 or whatever. Your 23mm tire is less than 1" wide, so no matter how high you can pump that tire is badly distorted. For the sidewalls to splay out from under the rim, which tends to pull the bead area away from where it is seated, under normal conditions (more like 100 # for the tire).

When you tend to pull the tire away from the bead the bead might just give a bit and make a small gap. The big-time tire pressure can force the tube to stretch out through that litlle gap and blow through that hole like a balloon. Moments later it bursts like a balloon with a sound like a rifle shot next to your ear.

The sidewall of your tire should have the maximum tire pressure molded into the side. One should never fill the tires up higher than that, and actually it's most likely supposed to be an absolute maximum that is never supposed to be exceeded. This is something your new boss at the bike shop will tell you, accompanied by a dope slap (if you watch NCIS). This problem is especially likely if you are too hasty when you install a tire and not careful about getting all those bits you cannot see to settle into the correct spot.

Bottom line, for this weight you are wrong to use that skinny tire on a skinny rim with that much weight. No offense intended, just some straight talk.

A wider tire and rim will not distort so badly, and can handle the load with much less added pressure.

I know these things because I'm an engineer. We know everything, or at least a lot about simple mechanics and machines.

No, I had it wrong; we know everything. (LOL!)

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-07-22 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 07-06-22, 06:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I pinchflatted 25s because they were underinflated for the type of riding I was doing (hauling groceries.) I needed 130+ in them, and frankly in terms of historical tire pressures this isn't even abnormally high. Back in the day much lighter people went to higher pressures. Thin tires for heavy riders are perfectly fine as long as they are inflated properly
You pinch flatted because you didn't look where the hell you were going.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-06-22, 06:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
What would you tell a 150lb rider who comes into your shop and says he wants to try 32mm wide tires?
My daughter, who weighs considerably less than that, just got a Trek Domane that comes with 32mm tires. (The shop did do its part, however, by pumping them up to a stupidly high pressure.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-06-22, 07:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Just a little science if I may. The ability of the tire to support weight is based on the area of the tire contact patch and the air pressure. If you are going to support ⅔ of the 300# on the rear tire, it has to have 2 square inches on the ground when squished by the 200#. Your 23mm tire is less than 1" wide, so no matter how high you can pump that tire is badly distorted. For the sidewalls to splay out from under the rim, which tends to pull the bead area away from where it is seated, under normal conditions (more like 100 # for the tire).

When you tend to pull the tire away from the bead the bead might just give a bit and make a small gap. The big-time tire pressure can force the tube to stretch out through that litlle gap and blow through that hole like a balloon. Moments later it bursts like a balloon with a sound like a rifle shot next to your ear.

The sidewall of your tire should have the maximum tire pressure molded into the side. One should never fill the tires up higher than that, and actually it's most likely supposed to be an absolute maximum that is never supposed to be exceeded. This is something your new boss at the bike shop will tell you, accompanied by a dope slap (if you watch NCIS). This problem is especially likely if you are too hasty when you install a tire and not careful about getting all those bits you cannot see to settle into the correct spot.

Bottom line, for this weight you are wrong to use that skinny tire on a skinny rim with that much weight. No offense intended, just some straight talk.

A wider tire and rim will not distort so badly, and can handle the load with much less added pressure.

I know these things because I'm an engineer. We know everything, or at least a lot about simple mechanics and machines.

No, I had it wrong; we know everything. (LOL!)
If youre an engineer you should know that you can pump tires higher than the recommended pressure range, its not going to fail because you put an extra 20 psi in it. Heck you could probably run almost double. Whats gonna happen, the rim fails? 23s are perfectly safe, ive never had a shop tell me im too heavy to ride 23s.
Old 07-06-22, 07:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
no votes for 18's ?

18's pumped to ... 160 psi ?
Old 07-06-22, 07:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You pinch flatted because you didn't look where the hell you were going.
shouldn't matter if its properly inflated, evidently there wasn't enough pressure because I managed to get a pinch flat. Thats like saying "you shouldn't have hopped the curb if you didn't want a pinch flat" like youre kind of right but its ignoring the root cause,
Old 07-06-22, 07:13 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Yes ear protection whilst pumping your tires up to 140 psi is essential. Some wear Bluetooth ear buds while listening to music to accomplish this. I’d like to point out just how truly dangerous this is as you won’t be aware of who might be driving up behind you. And you won’t be able to jump out of the garage in time to save yourself!

Yes, this is a parody thread. It has not disappointed!
Old 07-06-22, 07:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer69
140 lbs?!!
I’d recommend a jockstrap as well - if that tire lets go there’s going to rubber shrapnel everywhere.
Why do you think a tire rated for 145 psi would “let go” at 140? You guys sure seem like a nervous bunch!
Old 07-06-22, 07:16 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Six pages and counting. Larry may well set a new personal record for this absurd thread. Is there a Strava record for this?
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-06-22, 07:20 PM
MattTheHat 

If youre an engineer you should know that you can pump tires higher than the recommended pressure range, its not going to fail because you put an extra 20 psi in it. Heck you could probably run almost double. Whats gonna happen, the rim fails? 23s are perfectly safe, ive never had a shop tell me im too heavy to ride 23s.
I think BF should consider legal disclaimers on posts like these. Following Larry’s advise here could get someone hurt!

I’ve had a tire blow off the rim at the recommended maximum inflation of 90 PSI. I don’t know why but blow off it did. It even appeared to be properly seated.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-06-22, 07:20 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by smd4
Why do you think a tire rated for 145 psi would “let go” at 140? You guys sure seem like a nervous bunch!
How do you feel about 160 PSI?
Old 07-06-22, 07:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I rode a 23mm front tire on PBP in 2019. PBP is 1218 km over several days and nights.. No problems and no kittens died.
2019? It would have been puppies back then.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-06-22, 07:29 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Not in a tire rated for 145.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-06-22, 07:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, if he's a performance artist, he really commits to the work, because I have met him IRL, and he really is as large and as shirtless as he claims.
This is as close to a confession as we are likely to see.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-06-22, 07:44 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
There is a maximum pressure printed on the tire for a reason. You are tempting fate by putting in an extra 20psi. And by the way, 140psi is most likely higher than the maximum pressure rating for your clincher rim as well. For example I found this maximum pressure chart for Easton rims:
https://wheelbuilder.com/content/EastonRimPressure.pdf
Note that for 23mm tire, the maximum pressure is 120psi. Clincher rims/tires are not designed to be run at 140psi. You need to run tubular tires if you insist on running at that pressure.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-06-22, 08:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
How did I miss this thread?

LarrySellerz , a while back many of us told you that running a psi that is 50% over the recommended max is foolish. It's the reason why you're blowing tires.

You don't need ear protection; you just need some common sense.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-06-22, 08:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I said the tire shape was distorted AND the beads were not set in properly, since you said you are in too much of a hurry to do that carefully, in your first or second post. You're right the carcass is not likely to burst. Bike shop folks will train you how to make customer's bikes safe, and one of those techniques is not to over inflate, as well as to install tires properly. And it's not just about catastrophic failure, it's about accelerated wear, for example wearing throgh the tread too fast, exposing the cords, and then having the carcass fail. There are a bunch of hazardous scenarios which are not generally safe.

You might think this is all crap but if that blowout had happened while you are on a mountain road in a fast, tight curve at 30 mph, your ride could have a really bad ending.

As far as the rim failing, I don't know if it will or worn't with that much stress pushing the sides out. But I would suggest not taking the chance. I've just been reading a wheel builder talking about how he cannot guarantee handmade wheels made of rims he can'r be sure of or did not supply, because he's seen cracks running from spoke hole to spoke hole in some used rims which customers have wanted him to re-use. This actually does sound like rims which could separate.
Likes For Road Fan:
smd4

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Clincher rims/tires are not designed to be run at 140psi. You need to run tubular tires if you insist on running at that pressure.
Nonsense. You think a rim’s printed “maximum pressure” is the absolute top end, and a few pounds over and “she’ll blow?” You guys ever hear of proof testing?

You guys would need a change of underwear when my steam locomotive goes over it’s MAWP of 190.
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I think you mean, 290 psi.

Old 07-06-22, 08:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by smd4
Nonsense. You think a rim’s printed “maximum pressure” is the absolute top end, and a few pounds over and “she’ll blow?” You guys ever hear of proof testing?

You guys would need a change of underwear when my steam locomotive goes over it’s MAWP of 190.
Is the boiler made of lightweight aluminum less than 2mm thick?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-22, 08:16 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by genejockey
Is the boiler made of lightweight aluminum less than 2mm thick?
Dumb comparison. The question isn’t about materials, its about factors of safety.

You think a manufacturer isn’t going to build in some extra safety on top of its “max” recommendation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.