Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Experiences with White Industries cranks?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-28-22, 01:39 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts

I was looking at White Industries' cranks—they sell them with numerous chainring combinations, and claim they can handle a spread of as much as 22 teeth. I've got to admit, a 50/30 setup sounds pretty sweet. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these, specifically with this kind of wide-range setup, and how well they shift.
Old 01-28-22, 01:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I have one, back when all I could get was square-taper. The R/M30 versions I think would be superior.

Briefly, the crank itself is great. I have only a boring 46/30T combination, but I see no reason why 50/30T won't work. Their $100+ square-taper bottom-bracket is a disaster, so if for some reason you want square taper, just get the better Shimano option.

I had one small problem that eventually developed with shifting. One of the pins protruded a bit too much, and the chain was getting hung up on shifting. A little squeeze with a vice grip solved that problem for good.

The fit and finish are quite nice.

I eventually put this on my touring bike, reasoning that it would be easy to get a lower gear if I needed it. (So far, with this and an 11-36T cassette, I have been fine).

It is definitely $$$ bling. A 46/30T GRX crankset by comparison is $150. (Shimano also makes a 48/31T, which kind of allows you to split the difference. BTW a 46/11 gear combination is essentially identical to a 50/12 combination, which means that a 46/30T crankset costs you only the 50/11 combination.)

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-28-22 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 04:04 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Make sure your front derailleur will shift a 20t difference AND that your rear derailleur has the capacity to deal with it. Their stuff is top notch.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-28-22, 09:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Have not used their cranks...yet...but everything else I have used is excellent. I have a set of hubs, a headset, two freewheels and all have been flawless.
Old 01-29-22, 12:00 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I have a 46/28 and a 44/24. They both shift fine, but don't expect rapid upshifts.

Those are both using the Rene Herse crank, which is the best crank in the world. I would never spend that much on that White Industries crank. For bikes on a budget I just use old Shimano square taper cranks.
Old 01-29-22, 08:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
They certainly are attractive but with the advent of GRX 46/30 or 48/31, a hard sell. Maybe a specific situation like a precious/boutiquey bike or perceived Q sensitivity.
Old 01-29-22, 09:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
They certainly are attractive but with the advent of GRX 46/30 or 48/31, a hard sell. Maybe a specific situation like a precious/boutiquey bike or perceived Q sensitivity.
With those GRX cranks, you need the matching FD. So, that's an extra expense, but it ensures reliable shifting.
Old 01-29-22, 10:20 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

I've already got 46/30. I'm actually looking for a little more top-end. The rest of my drivetrain is not GRX--how much does the wider chainline with GRX cranks affect the rest of the drivetrain?
Old 01-29-22, 10:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
It's 2.5mm. I'm using a GRX 46/30 with a 10 speed 11-34 on a steel frame with 130 spacing. I do notice that big/big is noisier than I would prefer but it still shifts. FWIW, I'm using a regular road FD but I think I'll get a GRX, just because. I don't ride it much so I haven't tried to optimize everything. Parts bin except for the crank.
Old 01-29-22, 11:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by adamrice
I've already got 46/30. I'm actually looking for a little more top-end. The rest of my drivetrain is not GRX--how much does the wider chainline with GRX cranks affect the rest of the drivetrain?
3mm.

I use mine with my previously existing Ultegra (Di2) drivetrain. I had to adjust the limit screw on my front derailleur. Also, the front derailleur is sliding-clamp mount, so I was able to lower it easily. I use this with an 11-36T cassette without any issue. (The rear derailleur is officially rated for 11-32T max.)

Conversely, I am using a mechanical GRX front derailleur with my White Industries crankset on a different bike. That, too, works fine, even though the White Industries chainline is conventional road.

If you want to experiment with gearing, the White Industries crankset will give you more options, but the rings are about $80 each, so it could get expensive.

If GRX fits, you also have the 48/31T option, and the worst-case scenario is you get a GRX front derailleur (cheap if it is mechanical, prohibitive if it is Di2.)
Old 01-29-22, 11:08 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Koyote
With those GRX cranks, you need the matching FD. So, that's an extra expense, but it ensures reliable shifting.
Officially they say this, but in my experience, you can mix and match (cf previous post). However, it is always important to check.
Old 01-29-22, 11:35 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Officially they say this, but in my experience, you can mix and match (cf previous post). However, it is always important to check.
ymmv. On my bike, the original Ultegra Di2 FD did not work with the GRX 48-31 crankset, so I had to add the GRX FD.
Old 01-30-22, 10:08 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Make sure your front derailleur will shift a 20t difference AND that your rear derailleur has the capacity to deal with it. Their stuff is top notch.
This. It will be more likely a front derailleur issue than a chain ring difference issue. And 20t difference on the front eats up a lot of the rear derailleur's wrap capacity so the cassette range might be an issue.
Old 01-30-22, 10:52 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Are there any front derailleurs that officially are supposed to shift a 20t difference in one step? 3x derailleurs, sure, but that seems different.
Old 01-30-22, 11:11 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Koyote
ymmv. On my bike, the original Ultegra Di2 FD did not work with the GRX 48-31 crankset, so I had to add the GRX FD.
Ouch. Glad I dodged that bullet. Did that necessitate purchasing a matching GRX Di2 rear derailleur as well? If you have the old parts sitting around, are you interested in selling them? (I've got an extra set of Ultegra Di2 shifters who have no friends to play with.)
Old 01-30-22, 11:15 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by adamrice
Are there any front derailleurs that officially are supposed to shift a 20t difference in one step? 3x derailleurs, sure, but that seems different.
Not that I am aware of, but the "official" upper bound is in place, at least in part, to accommodate users who inadvertently or deliberately cross-chain at both extremes. So if you can avoid that, you are probably ok.
Old 01-30-22, 11:29 AM
Koyote

Ouch. Glad I dodged that bullet. Did that necessitate purchasing a matching GRX Di2 rear derailleur as well? If you have the old parts sitting around, are you interested in selling them? (I've got an extra set of Ultegra Di2 shifters who have no friends to play with.)
No, it all worked fine with an Ultegra RX RD, and I don't have the old parts.
Old 01-31-22, 06:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Not that I am aware of, but the "official" upper bound is in place, at least in part, to accommodate users who inadvertently or deliberately cross-chain at both extremes. So if you can avoid that, you are probably ok.
you should never have a bike set up that can't handle big/big (more of a problem) and small/small

No matter what you tell yourself, you will shift in to one of those, and if Big/big does not work, you will stop pretty fast, with the corresponding result depending on the speed you are going, from embarrassment to injury

Old 01-31-22, 08:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by squirtdad
you should never have a bike set up that can't handle big/big (more of a problem) and small/small

No matter what you tell yourself, you will shift in to one of those, and if Big/big does not work, you will stop pretty fast, with the corresponding result depending on the speed you are going, from embarrassment to injury
The newer firmware versions of Di2 prevent you from doing this. That is why I haven't updated since 2015.
Old 01-31-22, 09:52 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

I had/have several bikes that don't do small/small. I truly never use those combinations. And if I did, the worst thing that would happen is a slack chain and maybe a derailment if I'm really unlucky.

Absolutely right about big/big though.