Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Tacx Bike Smart Where Are You?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 06:07 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

I'd like to actually see a Tacx Bike Smart in real life before I buy any smart bike, but try and find one! Why are they so hard to find? Why no dealers?
Old 04-21-22, 05:29 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Amazon.com: Tacx Neo Bike Smart Trainer : Everything Else

Hey, it's Amazon. You don't like it? Send it back for a refund.
Old 04-21-22, 07:39 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Amazon.com: Tacx Neo Bike Smart Trainer : Everything Else

Hey, it's Amazon. You don't like it? Send it back for a refund.
It's a huge and heavy package, and disassembling and repacking would be a nightmare. Which is exactly why I'd like to see one in real life before spending a ton of money.
Old 04-21-22, 07:56 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
It's a huge and heavy package, and disassembling and repacking would be a nightmare.
Which is why you will have a hard time seeing one up and running at a local shop. Not to mention the price.

Looks like you missed the demo at Landry's Bicycles in Boston in March. But hey, give them a ring and see if they have one.
Old 04-21-22, 02:17 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Which is why you will have a hard time seeing one up and running at a local shop. Not to mention the price.

Looks like you missed the demo at Landry's Bicycles in Boston in March. But hey, give them a ring and see if they have one.
But for some reason, I can see a Wahoo bike at multiple locations. So the Wahoo, at a higher price is readily available but the Tacx isn't? Something ain't right.

And yes, being down in Naples for the winter means a trip to Boston for a bike demo wasn't going to happen. ;-)
Old 04-21-22, 07:10 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
But for some reason, I can see a Wahoo bike at multiple locations. So the Wahoo, at a higher price is readily available but the Tacx isn't? Something ain't right.
Basically, yes.

Wahoo actively push their demo stations to bike shops and offer great support for the shops. You'll see a LOT of Wahoo demo stations (KICKR Bike, or KICKR + CLIMB). Tacx don't seem to do this much, for reasons I don't know.
Old 04-22-22, 09:25 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Basically, yes.

Wahoo actively push their demo stations to bike shops and offer great support for the shops. You'll see a LOT of Wahoo demo stations (KICKR Bike, or KICKR + CLIMB). Tacx don't seem to do this much, for reasons I don't know.
Makes you wonder if Garmin can support the device if then can't even market it. I've had a Neo 2T, and really like it, but I'm moving to indoor riding permanently and want a dedicated smart bike. I've narrowed it down to the Tacx and the Wahoo, and support may be the deciding factor. They're both really nice units.
Old 04-22-22, 01:32 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
You just don’t see many trax trainers in stores. Wahoo always has a display. I love my Kickr bike and they have great support.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 04-23-22, 01:01 AM
tempocyclist

I've narrowed it down to the Tacx and the Wahoo, and support may be the deciding factor. They're both really nice units.
If you're riding indoors 100% then the KICKR Bike will give a slightly more "realistic" experience as it tilts with the virtual gradient. They're solid and very reliable units.

I've got an original NEO and it's been great, but if I were to go the smart bike route, it'd be a KICKR Bike for sure.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 04-23-22, 01:46 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
If you're riding indoors 100% then the KICKR Bike will give a slightly more "realistic" experience as it tilts with the virtual gradient. They're solid and very reliable units.

I've got an original NEO and it's been great, but if I were to go the smart bike route, it'd be a KICKR Bike for sure.
How does the flywheel feel differ from the Neo? Isn't the Wahoo bike an electromagnetic setup as well?
Old 04-23-22, 04:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I was tempted to get one of the Stages bikes when Zwift had them on sale.
Old 04-24-22, 05:52 PM
tempocyclist

How does the flywheel feel differ from the Neo? Isn't the Wahoo bike an electromagnetic setup as well?
Yep, both use the electromagnetic flywheel setup. Both bikes give a very good ride feel. The main "ride experience" difference being:

- NEO Bike has "real road feel" to replicate different surface feels (cobbles, gravel, smooth tarmac, etc)

- KICKR Bike has the "climb" feature, tilting up and down synced to the on-screen gradients

Whether either of those features are important or deal breakers is personal. I'm not a huge fan of road feel and have only used it on my NEO a couple of times. I've never "wanted" for a CLIMB either, but it is a very cool feature!

We use a KICKR Bike (or a KICKR + CLIMB) for almost all our displays and promotional events.
Old 04-29-22, 04:31 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I'd like to actually see a Tacx Bike Smart in real life before I buy any smart bike, but try and find one! Why are they so hard to find? Why no dealers?
I'm curious what it is you want to "see" exactly? Before I pulled the trigger on the Wahoo bike I just read all the in-depth reviews from the likes of DC Rainmaker, GP Lama etc which cover pretty much every minute detail.

I have to say the Wahoo bike is pretty awesome. I did have one issue with the shift buttons failing (well reported issue so I wasn't surprised) but Wahoo support were very quick to send me a complete new bar assembly (making it a quick swap) and it's been faultless ever since. Tacx appear to have had supply issues with their bike for a long time so I would be a bit wary of that. But otherwise it seems like a decent product from the reviews I read. I do a lot of climbing, so the Wahoo bike with it's climb function made it an easy decision for me, otherwise it would have been very close.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-29-22 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-29-22, 06:20 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm curious what it is you want to "see" exactly? Before I pulled the trigger on the Wahoo bike I just read all the in-depth reviews from the likes of DC Rainmaker, GP Lama etc which cover pretty much every minute detail.

I have to say the Wahoo bike is pretty awesome. I did have one issue with the shift buttons failing (well reported issue so I wasn't surprised) but Wahoo support were very quick to send me a complete new bar assembly (making it a quick swap) and it's been faultless ever since. Tacx appear to have had supply issues with their bike for a long time so I would be a bit wary of that. But otherwise it seems like a decent product from the reviews I read. I do a lot of climbing, so the Wahoo bike with it's climb function made it an easy decision for me, otherwise it would have been very close.
I'd like to sit on the bike and pedal once it's adjusted to see if anything seems out of place. Like leg rubbing. The top tube on the Wahoo is pretty thick, as is the seat "tube" on the Tacx. Reviews are one thing, but nothing beats actually seeing and trying something in real life. This is a big purchase and I don't want to do it twice.
Old 04-29-22, 06:36 PM
PeteHski

I'd like to sit on the bike and pedal once it's adjusted to see if anything seems out of place. Like leg rubbing. The top tube on the Wahoo is pretty thick, as is the seat "tube" on the Tacx. Reviews are one thing, but nothing beats actually seeing and trying something in real life. This is a big purchase and I don't want to do it twice.
I get where you are coming from and those are valid points. Odds on it won't be an issue, but I suppose it could be. Hope you find one to test then.
Old 04-29-22, 07:05 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I get where you are coming from and those are valid points. Odds on it won't be an issue, but I suppose it could be. Hope you find one to test then.
Me, too. I think there's a dealer in Boston who stocks them, so once I'm back in the great white north I'll give them a call. Honestly, between the two of them I don't think there's a wrong answer.
Old 04-29-22, 07:21 PM
PeteHski

Honestly, between the two of them I don't think there's a wrong answer.
Yeah, that's why I asked. The only wrong answer really is NOT to buy either of them and miss out completely, LOL! Seriously though I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the Wahoo Bike as I had a great winter training on it. I considered it a risky purchase, but the very worst case scenario was a bit of minor hassle returning it if it didn't work out. I kept my old trainer (Elite Direto X) as a back-up just in case, but never used it again.