Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Metal Or Plastic

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Metal Or Plastic

Old 06-08-22, 04:31 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Metal Or Plastic

Which is better material for Fenders, Metal or Plastic? Metal last a lot longer but is a pain to put on. Plastic is great but I'm only getting 7+ years out of pair. (It then cracks and rubs on the tire.) Does anyone have any experience with lifespan of these materials? Is there anything better out there?
Old 06-08-22, 04:40 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
I so thought this was going to be a frame material thread when I clicked on it ()

SKS plastic coated aluminum foil fenders last seemingly forever. There's nothing better than good ol' fashioned chromoplastic®
Old 06-08-22, 07:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
The first pair of SKS fenders I put on lasted 16 or 18 years (long enough for SKS to buy the production line).

You want my take on metal fenders? See https://www.bikeforums.net/22532275-post17.html

I'd take metal fenders if Velo-Orange or Jan Heine would install them for me, 'cause they do look nice. I'd pay someone $100-150 to put them on if they'd do it for a firm fixed price. I would not pay anyone an hourly rate for installation, and I'm going to use SKS fenders for all my future fender needs.
Old 06-08-22, 07:50 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I haven't had metal fenders since I was riding an old Raleigh Superbe I bought at an antique store. Several sets of plastic fenders between then and now.

I just took the rear fender off my son's bike - it was rubbing and he ignored it for too long and the tire wore through the metal bracket, the plastic remains unscathed.
Old 06-08-22, 10:42 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
If they're going to be more or less permanent, I vote for metal, just because IME they are much quieter once you get them properly fitted -- and yes, the installation is a bigger pain. As far as durability, I've only had my plastic SKS Longboards for five years, but they show zero signs of degradation so far.
Old 06-09-22, 02:10 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Metal fenders generalized aren't harder to put on but there are a couple (VO) that are tough.
Old 06-09-22, 01:45 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Which is better material for Fenders, Metal or Plastic? Metal last a lot longer but is a pain to put on. Plastic is great but I'm only getting 7+ years out of pair. (It then cracks and rubs on the tire.) Does anyone have any experience with lifespan of these materials? Is there anything better out there?

I noticed that you are in Colorado where I gather the sun in summers is pretty intense. Do you park the bike outside in the direct sun? Is that what caused the plastic to go brittle and crack?

I had the luxury of indoor parking for my bikes at work. So they only saw direct sun during rides or short times parked on racks at stores. But my plastic fenders were still in pretty well original condition after 12 to 15 years of use. Only actual physical damage in a couple of cases caused me to have to do anything with them.
Old 06-09-22, 02:08 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I can recommend stainless steel by Berthoud.
The aluminum or brass by Honjo look good, but I have no experience with their durability.
Likes For greatbasin: