Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-22, 07:55 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
No one that wants to yell/tell a cyclist from inside a car that they are riding wrong is worth listening to, IMO
Old 05-18-22, 08:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
No one that wants to yell/tell a cyclist from inside a car that they are riding wrong is worth listening to, IMO

Wants to is one thing, I don't think anyone is immune from feelings of frustration. But if they're actually yelling at people on the road then they're driving wrong, so why should I assume there's anything valid about their opinions?

Truth is that most times I've had people yell stuff out windows at me, it's so hard to hear what they're yelling from a moving vehicle that it pretty much sounds about as meaningful as Charlie Brown's teacher. And when I can understand it, it's something stupid like "ride on the sidewalk" or just name calling.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-22, 09:27 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
It’s weird that when I’m driving my car, all the idiots are on bikes, and when I’m riding my bike, all the idiots are in cars!

Are they following me?

Hey, just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get me!
Likes For A350driver:
Old 05-26-22, 12:16 AM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
I must admit that although I found this thread amusing there are some really cringe takes here.
I guess nothing can escape the polarization in today’s cultural climate, even cycling.
Empathy and understanding is increasingly being displaced by anger and judgement.
I love bikes, being made of multiple mechanical parts, they’re in essence machines, like cars, motorcycles and planes, which I also love.
So I’m a cyclist, a driver, a rider, and a flyer.
We need to share our space with each other regardless of what machine we’re on is my assessment.
Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 05-26-22, 06:01 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Yune_Garage
I must admit that although I found this thread amusing there are some really cringe takes here.
I guess nothing can escape the polarization in today’s cultural climate, even cycling.
Empathy and understanding is increasingly being displaced by anger and judgement.
I love bikes, being made of multiple mechanical parts, they’re in essence machines, like cars, motorcycles and planes, which I also love.
We need to share our space with each other regardless of what machine we’re on is my assessment.
Now if I could just get a good light set of wings for my bike I could really fly on those downhills!
Old 05-26-22, 09:56 AM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by A350driver
Now if I could just get a good light set of wings for my bike I could really fly on those downhills!
Now that would be a sight to see! Cheers
Old 05-26-22, 10:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Very well said.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-26-22, 10:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Yeah, well, I ain't sharing my back country roads with your airplane.

Though I once saw a near collision with an ultralight taking off just as a crop duster flew down over the trees. Kind of scary, and I was the guy on the bike at the other end of the field!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-26-22, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Just ride a bike with rim brakes. According to some Forum members you will fly right off the side of a mountain unless you have disks.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-26-22, 11:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I think one of the difficult parts, at least for me, is remembering that we're all human even when I am perceiving that my life is in danger. Adrenaline kicks in and fight-or-flight makes me think and say things that are rather harsh. Add to it when the driver tries to defend their dangerous actions, and it's hard to have a peaceful understanding with each other.
Old 05-26-22, 12:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just ride a bike with rim brakes. According to some Forum members you will fly right off the side of a mountain unless you have disks.

If I want to fly going downhill, I just put the front wheel into a pothole.
Old 05-26-22, 12:18 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Yup-just so long as they stay TF out of MY WAY!!
Likes For bargo68:
Old 05-26-22, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I like the sentiment, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.
A lot of places have taken down their signs that said "Share The Road" and had a picture of a bicycle because people were interpreting that to mean that bicyclists need to keep out of the way. I don't think that's what you mean, but I'm interested in how someone who operates so many different kinds of machines thinks about "sharing" the road.

TL/DR: Cool post, please say more!
Old 05-26-22, 12:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Though I once saw a near collision with an ultralight taking off just as a crop duster flew down over the trees. Kind of scary, and I was the guy on the bike at the other end of the field!

Uh-uh, not an ultralight, it was an oil truck:
Old 05-26-22, 01:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
It’s weird that when I’m driving my car, all the idiots are on bikes, and when I’m riding my bike, all the idiots are in cars!
That's a corollary of "Everyone that drives faster than me is crazy. Everyone that drives slower is an a--hole."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-26-22, 01:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I think one of the difficult parts, at least for me, is remembering that we're all human even when I am perceiving that my life is in danger. Adrenaline kicks in and fight-or-flight makes me think and say things that are rather harsh. Add to it when the driver tries to defend their dangerous actions, and it's hard to have a peaceful understanding with each other.
this was me just last week. the next day i regretted what i said, kind of hope he did too.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-26-22, 04:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
this was me just last week. the next day i regretted what i said, kind of hope he did too.
I got my last episode on video and will probably publish it when I get over the shame, and bleep out all the choice vocabulary.
Old 05-26-22, 06:25 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I thought I was going to be yelled at or honked at yesterday.

I took a side street to return home, Manor Road East. It runs parallel to the main road, Eglinton Avenue East, that I took the day before. Manor Road is marked as a bike route, so I thought it would be nice and quiet. But it was busy with cars and four-way stops. The road is only three car widths wide and is lined with parked cars outside their houses. So any cyclist will have to take over his entire side of the road because oncoming traffic would be on the other half. That gives no chance of any car behind a cyclist any opportunity to pass.

So while I was pedalling as fast as I could, the cars behind patiently followed for two kilometres. I must have been doing about 20km/hr in a 40km/hr zone.

My guess is that all the vehicles that drive this road must have already been aware of cyclists like me. If anybody would try to get into an argument with me, I was prepared to tell him if he wanted to go faster, take Eglinton Avenue.

The day before, I did take Eglinton Avenue and it was empty. Everytime I stopped at a traffic light, there were no cars behind me. Interesting.
Old 05-27-22, 04:34 PM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I like the sentiment, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.
A lot of places have taken down their signs that said "Share The Road" and had a picture of a bicycle because people were interpreting that to mean that bicyclists need to keep out of the way. I don't think that's what you mean, but I'm interested in how someone who operates so many different kinds of machines thinks about "sharing" the road.

TL/DR: Cool post, please say more!

Hey thanks.
I’m not quite sure how “sharing the road” would be applied technically (i.e infrastructure), but what I mean to say is something along the lines of “be kind to one another”. The “sharing the road” part will be a byproduct of that kindness or consideration for others people wether they’re driving car, riding a bike, or a motorcycle. Easier said than done.
Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 05-27-22, 07:04 PM
Roadhawg
Razza 4.0

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 4.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I have complete respect for cyclists on the road as I am one, but when I see a behaviour that just puts everyone at risk, it's too much for me.
Road cyclist riding in the middle of the lane on a narrow road. There was wide side lane for bikes. It was impossible to pass him without getting dangerously close. When the opportunity to safely pass presented itself after about a km, I rolled down the window and let him know what I thought of his unsafe manner. He gave me the one finger salute, I yelled "stop putting lives at risk" and moved on.
My biggest concern is the safety of other cyclists, because when drivers get fed up with riders like that, it puts the safe riders in danger.
I've ridden this road hundreds of times and yes, the side lane is perfectly suited for cyclists
Things aren't any different in this country. You have to be wary of the idiots on two wheels (and four) that feel inclined to do whatever they please and often don't even realize how narrowly they escaped catastrophe. BTW, my wife and I lived in Vicenza back in '89. Beautiful country!
Old 06-23-22, 10:59 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Has anyone else noticed that some posters with very high post counts seem to have very little to actually contribute, and just seem to be hanging around, waiting to pick internet arguments or troll?
My ignore list gets larger every day.
And the one who is most like that, liked your comment!
Old 06-24-22, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And the one who is most like that, liked your comment!

If you really want to play that game, follow his likes and you'll see he wasn't referring to me.

I find it hilarious that you start a thread about how you picked an argument while driving and you're the one accusing people of trolling.
Old 06-24-22, 05:30 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
I have complete respect for cyclists on the road as I am one, but when I see a behaviour that just puts everyone at risk, it's too much for me.
Road cyclist riding in the middle of the lane on a narrow road. There was wide side lane for bikes. It was impossible to pass him without getting dangerously close. When the opportunity to safely pass presented itself after about a km, I rolled down the window and let him know what I thought of his unsafe manner. He gave me the one finger salute, I yelled "stop putting lives at risk" and moved on.
My biggest concern is the safety of other cyclists, because when drivers get fed up with riders like that, it puts the safe riders in danger.
I've ridden this road hundreds of times and yes, the side lane is perfectly suited for cyclists
sometimes on the roads here it is more dangerous to get doored from cycling on the bike path on the side of the road. But if it is a safe bike lane then the cyclist has no reason to do so. Should have stopped and asked him to know his reason.
Old 06-24-22, 05:39 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you really want to play that game, follow his likes and you'll see he wasn't referring to me.

I find it hilarious that you start a thread about how you picked an argument while driving and you're the one accusing people of trolling.
What makes you believe I was referring to you?
Old 06-24-22, 05:48 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Usually if I get stuck behind a cyclist while driving, I will gladly slow and follow them for as long as needed. This gives me an opportunity to carefully assess their fredliness and fantasize about how much better of a cyclist I am, in both looks and speed.

Last edited by mihlbach; 06-24-22 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For mihlbach:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.