Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thru axle problem on Bianchi Infinito CV Di2

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-21, 09:39 AM
Spearmin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

The rear thru axle on my Bianchi Infinito CV Di2, which I spent a fortune on in March, keeps coming loose. The first time it happened the wheel slammed against the rear fork and nearly caused me to fall off the bike.
Today, the front axle came loose and the wheel came off and nearly caused me serious injury. On the way home, I spent one and half hours stopping and retightening the axle to stop the wheel falling off the bike again. When I tried to tighten the wheel, the wheel would hardly turn. When I loosened it off to let the wheel spin. the axle unwound itself.
To make matters worse, the back wheel was also loose when I got home.

Is this a common fault with thru axles, or am I just unlucky? I bought the bike from a shop 200 km away. I have phoned them and they say they have never heard of this problem.
Old 10-31-21, 09:42 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Thru axles are dead simple. Unless there is a problem w/ the threads they don't come loose if properly tightened. And that is usually pretty damn tight.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-31-21, 09:58 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
something is wrong - either the threads are stripped, you have the wrong thru axles, or something else.

please get this looked at by someone familiar with your bike. Front wheel coming off could get you seriously injured

/markp
Old 10-31-21, 10:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You do realize that thru axles have to be slipped into the unthreaded (non drive side) side of the dropout and threaded into the other (drive side) dropout. It is NOT just a slip fit and has to be tightened firmly. If you aren't doing this, you better find someone to show you how.
Old 10-31-21, 10:59 AM
Spearmin

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yep, familiar with that. After the first near death experience, I made sure the axle was as tight as possible. It didn't help. Before every ride, I check both wheels to make sure there is no play/wobble. I did the same today. It didn't help.
Old 10-31-21, 11:30 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Thru axles often have a torque value specified. I would torque it to spec and then see if it continues to loosen.
Old 10-31-21, 11:42 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Unless the thru axle falls out completely it doesn't seem possible that a wheel could fall out of the dropouts. The axle has to be removed from the frame in order to remove the wheel for a flat repair.
Maybe pictures of the axles would be helpful
Old 10-31-21, 11:51 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Spearmin
The rear thru axle on my Bianchi Infinito CV Di2, which I spent a fortune on in March
This really is an issue you need to be taking up with the shop you got it from, maybe get time to demonstrate how the system works, as what your saying doesn't make too much sense.
Old 10-31-21, 02:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Unless the thru axle falls out completely it doesn't seem possible that a wheel could fall out of the dropouts. The axle has to be removed from the frame in order to remove the wheel for a flat repair.
Maybe pictures of the axles would be helpful
And you'd have to be major league oblivious to miss that happening.
ETA: Just had that customer in the store as I was posting this. Santa Cruz mtb, thru axle 1 full turn at least loose. 1 pivot loose. Rear shock mount loose. Bike will not shift, housing is totally pooched and the cable was frayed at the derailleur. Guy had absolutely no idea and it took me a couple of minutes to get him to understand what a cable and housing were.

Last edited by cxwrench; 10-31-21 at 02:26 PM.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-31-21, 02:22 PM
alcjphil

I am curious if this bike has disc or rim brakes
Old 10-31-21, 09:50 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I have the same bike and have not had any issues with my thru axles. Not sure what you have going on but odd you have same issue on front and rear wheel. How could they be coming loose unless they were not installed correctly. Get your self and the bike to the shop.
Old 11-01-21, 07:46 AM
Spearmin

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hi,
I would like to thank you all for your replies. Although some were not that useful, they were nonetheless appreciated.
The importer phoned me this morning to ask me to take the bike to the nearest dealer.
After inspection, it seems there was a fault with the axles. The bike is on its way to Italy!
Old 11-01-21, 12:15 PM
hounslow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I am curious if this bike has disc or rim brakes
No bikes have thru axles and rim brakes. The brakes aren't the problem
Old 11-01-21, 10:11 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by hounslow
No bikes have thru axles and rim brakes. The brakes aren't the problem
I know that. I asked in case the bike had rim brakes and quick releases that the OP thought were thru axles
Old 11-02-21, 06:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Spearmin
Hi,
I would like to thank you all for your replies. Although some were not that useful, they were nonetheless appreciated.
The importer phoned me this morning to ask me to take the bike to the nearest dealer.
After inspection, it seems there was a fault with the axles. The bike is on its way to Italy!
Hope you get your bike back soon. It does not sound plausible that the bike has to be returned to Italy for a proper diagnosis.
Old 06-25-22, 01:11 PM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I had my Bianchi Infinito CV for a little over a year during which time it performed flawlessly. Suddenly this spring, I began having shifting problems that I couldn't figure out as an inexperienced rider. It turned out my riear thru-axle came loose to the extent that the stress of riding on the back wheel damaged the pawls. It was a quick and easy repair by my LBS, However, I noticed a funny sound again after riding about 50 miles, and the thru axle was beginning to loosen again. Now I'm concerned this is going to be a recurring problem.
Old 06-27-22, 12:22 AM
Spearmin

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I waited to hear back from Bianchi on my thru-axle problem for a while. In the end, they offered me a new frame or my money back. I took the money.
I hope your problem gets sorted out.
Old 06-27-22, 01:22 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
One thing I didn't see in this thread is if the thru-axle was able to be torqued to spec. If the thread dims were off and it couldn't be torqued properly, the defect should have been obvious from the start. If it could be torqued to spec, I'm curious as to what kind of defect could cause it to come loose.
Old 06-27-22, 01:40 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
One thing I didn't see in this thread is if the thru-axle was able to be torqued to spec. If the thread dims were off and it couldn't be torqued properly, the defect should have been obvious from the start. If it could be torqued to spec, I'm curious as to what kind of defect could cause it to come loose.
Perhaps not related to this case, but defects under the head of fasteners can result in reaching torque, but coming loose after a few stress cycles. This is why castings are spot faced. A tilt in the surface will cause the same issue. Non parallel faces on the head side dropout would do this, though I’m not sure that’s the case here.
Old 06-27-22, 08:32 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Perhaps not related to this case, but defects under the head of fasteners can result in reaching torque, but coming loose after a few stress cycles. This is why castings are spot faced. A tilt in the surface will cause the same issue. Non parallel faces on the head side dropout would do this, though I’m not sure that’s the case here.
Thanks. Had not come across that before but it makes sense.