Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pulled over by the CHP while biking on I-280

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Pulled over by the CHP while biking on I-280

Old 04-09-22, 08:14 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
We allow all bicycles and pedestrian traffic on our interstate highways. Not very smart but we allow it.
Old 04-09-22, 09:43 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That list is not supposed to be comprehensive. I can't tell if this link will work, but it's an image of a "Bicycles Must Exit" sign on 280 from Google maps:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HJzEktTGeUYsaQ8z9
I think I know where that is. There are some reservoirs a little bit south and west of SFO.

In general, it is not a highway I would even think to ride my bike on. It is the interstate bypass that connects San Francisco to San Jose. It goes though a lot of prime biking areas, so maybe there is a place where you are allowed on briefly. People routinely drive 90 mph (when it isn't a traffic jam).
Old 04-26-22, 04:19 PM
toto34

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Factemp
I also was stopped by a CHP around 2008 at the exact northbound location. I tried to explain the signage by the on ramp excludes prohibiting bicycles. And as the OP stated, there is a sign just prior to the next exit instructing bicyclist to exit. It's also the same situation directly across the highway for southbound riders.

I believe at some point the exception was granted as there is no reasonable alternative to continue traveling south or north bound on skyline without taking a significant detour far down the eastern side of the highway.

As I tried to explain this the officer he simply stated that pedestrians are not allowed on the highway which is prohibited. I stated I was on a bike. He then said that a "bike" is a pedestrian. I didn't even argue it at this point. He released me with a warning.

I believe the highway patrol are simply not aware of the allowed access.

I bring this up now as I've started to ride my bike again and this is a key part of my loop to do a round trip of crystal springs trail. I'm want to ride this section and am looking to see if there has been clarification on the legality.
"Excludes prohibiting"

On your side but phrase that better