Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

One of a kind 1950 Schwinn Black Phantom

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 10:16 AM
HarryO47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the 1950 Schwinn Black Phantom bicycle that my mother won at a Sports Show in Peoria, IL back in 1950 or 1951. She had the closest guess at the serial number to win. The bike was a custom modified by the Schwinn dealer in Peoria, Illinois Cycle, and this company is still in business in Peoria. Modifications include a reinforced front handle bar that I think came from the 1940's Auto Cycle Deluxe bikes, and instead of painted fenders and passenger seat like other Black Phantoms this one had all chrome funders and passenger seat. It also has the Peoria King badge on it rather than the standard Schwinn badge. The spring fork, locking fork, and handbrake were also on this bike. Due to these features I suspect it is truly a one of a kind bicycle. Other than the tires, the key, and the rear reflector which was torn off, this bike is all original and in unrestored condition. It has always been stored inside but in an unheated garage so there is rust damage on it. I will try and include a couple of photos to show condition. I would appreciate any estimates of what this would be worth in its original unrestored condition. Thank you.

When I drag and drop photos I get an "ALERT" pop up and the photos do not upload. Any help on this problem would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-22, 10:28 AM
HarryO47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos

I did create an album with photos in it if you know how to reach it.
Old 06-22-22, 12:58 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
My first thought is have you contacted the dealer to see if they have any info on it? Maybe someone there is related to someone who worked there at the time? You never know. Also, even if not, they might be interested in purchasing it from you. I've been in many shops that had vintage bikes displayed, especially ones that were sold there.

I looked at the photos. It is going to need a lot of work, but from what I understand there is a good market for them, so someone will want it. I have no idea on current value in that condition. Hopefully someone will.

Last edited by TugaDude; 06-22-22 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-22-22, 01:08 PM
HarryO47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dealer suggestion

Actually I did contact the current owner of Illinois Cycle and he was interested but didn't have an idea of the value. Hence, my question here. I know car museums often have an old vintage car on display that has not been restored and they value having something they know for certain has not been messed with. Not sure if bicycle collectors value unrestored bikes in the same manner.
Old 06-22-22, 01:28 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Pic assist...

Old 06-22-22, 04:16 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Google search gave up a lot on Schwinn Phantom . Built from 1949-59. Schwinn did a repo version and those go for $1600+. A original value?
ed
Old 06-22-22, 05:55 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
"The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange" forum (TheCABE) will likely be a good source to gather information from. Post the bicycle in TheCABE forums and see what members have to say.

https://thecabe.com/forum/
Old 06-23-22, 06:22 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryO47
Actually I did contact the current owner of Illinois Cycle and he was interested but didn't have an idea of the value. Hence, my question here. I know car museums often have an old vintage car on display that has not been restored and they value having something they know for certain has not been messed with. Not sure if bicycle collectors value unrestored bikes in the same manner.
I'm sure that someone interested in restoring that bike will be looking at three things in order to decide whether it is attractive or not. First, are all of the bits and bobs there? If they are, that's a huge time-saver and a big plus. Next comes condition and that leads directly towards price. The price needs to be realistic when the cost of restoration is calculated. That bike needs a lot of work and therefore the price should rightly reflect that. I'm sure most will want to do a complete repaint. That's probably $500.00 on the low end and that probably won't cover decals and such.

If a bike is complete, in good condition and reasonably priced, then it is going to demand more. This one might be lacking in the condition department. Just some thoughts.
Old 06-23-22, 07:38 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
One of a kind means far from original, as dealer mods are different than factory mods. Value should be the highest to the original dealer.

Myself, I love the patina, so that is a plus. Agree, the CABE is the place to go for opinions on this one.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-26-22 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-25-22, 06:47 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Brace yourself for the gut punch that all the custom things that make this "one of a kind" are going to detract from its value, not increase it. I'd think a collector will want something that looks like what it did in the old Schwinn catalogs they were drooling over as a kid. Tracking down stock items like badges, fenders, and the like can get pricey. I wouldn't do a lot of cleaning- leave that up to the buyer.

Old 06-28-22, 12:23 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
very trick ! No idea on the value but this bike gets a huge thumbs up from me on coolness
Old 07-01-22, 05:59 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,987 Times in 1,776 Posts
Yeah, that is super cool to me. I just have no idea of value and agree with the others about asking over at The Cabe.