Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a saddle: should I care if it says men's or women's?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 01:59 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Measured my sit bones at 130mm. Added 20mm (seems that's the standard recommendation) and now I'm looking at saddles. If there's a 150mm saddle, but it's listed as a women's(I'm a guy), does that matter?
Old 03-06-21, 02:17 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It only matters if your comfortable on it.

New York City has 31 different genders, why be limited to only 2?

https://bernardgoldberg.com/31-gende...ork-city-2016/
Old 03-06-21, 02:19 PM
Bahnzo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlennR
It only matters if your comfortable on it.

New York City has 31 different genders, why be limited to only 2?

https://bernardgoldberg.com/31-gende...ork-city-2016/
Well, my question is more aimed at if there's any actual physical difference in the saddle itself which for some reason would make it more suitable for a women.
Old 03-06-21, 02:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Would that make a difference even if it's comfortable?

If it says for women, then it's likely that they based all the design and measurements of it on the typical female body and bone structure.

No shame if it's comfortable. What will be a shame is if you use a men's saddle that is uncomfortable for you knowing that this saddle was comfortable.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-21, 02:28 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
If it fits your butt the way you want, I'd say go for it.
Old 03-06-21, 02:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Well, my question is more aimed at if there's any actual physical difference in the saddle itself which for some reason would make it more suitable for a women.
The only thing I can think of is a saddle for a "genetic" male would be designed to take pressure off of different areas.
Old 03-06-21, 04:30 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
None of that matters.

Find a bike shop that lets you return saddles until you find the one you like. You will get all kinds of science and sit bones measurements, but in my experience none of that worked for me. Finally found a shape I liked and went with that same shape from there on.
Old 03-06-21, 04:43 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
yes you should care
Old 03-06-21, 04:48 PM
SpectrumTi

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
The right saddle is the one that your butt likes the best.

I read a ton of reviews trying to find the right saddle. I located one of the few shops around (during Covid) that carried the one that sounded like it would be great. The shop owner put me on a stationary bike and in a blind test switched through about 10 saddles. The one I thought I would like came in dead last. The winner was a little untraditional and I would have never have gone that direction unblinded. Six months later, my butt remains very comfy. Trust your butt, it knows.
Likes For SpectrumTi:
Old 03-06-21, 04:53 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I've got two bikes that are women's bikes, so obviously, they've got women's saddles on them. I love both them. They don't look like women's bikes. Unless I tell somebody, they would never know.
Likes For dieselgoat:
Old 03-06-21, 05:02 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Measured my sit bones at 130mm. Added 20mm (seems that's the standard recommendation) and now I'm looking at saddles. If there's a 150mm saddle, but it's listed as a women's(I'm a guy), does that matter?
Saddles are extremely personal. However there are a couple of things you should know, it should not be wide enough in the front to rub on the inside of your thighs. The actual width isn't as important as the correct arc of the saddle. I find that a cutout makes a HUGE difference it you ride a lot. My back used to kill me on long rides but when I got the cutout I could not believe that it relieved all of the pressure on my BACK!
Old 03-06-21, 06:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
We won't tell Victoria about it, it can be our little Bahnzo Secrete.
Old 03-06-21, 07:42 PM
Bahnzo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Saddles are extremely personal. However there are a couple of things you should know, it should not be wide enough in the front to rub on the inside of your thighs. The actual width isn't as important as the correct arc of the saddle. I find that a cutout makes a HUGE difference it you ride a lot. My back used to kill me on long rides but when I got the cutout I could not believe that it relieved all of the pressure on my BACK!
I'm looking to try a cutout saddle, as I've never owned one. Unfortunately I don't really have a good bike shop nearby, so I'm having to order online. My back isn't the problem for me, just my butt hurting after awhile. Measuring myself and then the saddle I have on this bike, it's definitely too wide at ~170mm so I'm hoping a 150mm will solve things and provide a little more comfort.

I won't worry about men's/women's I suppose. I was only worried about there being some actual difference in the construction, but it seems calling it a men/women's saddle is nothing but marketing.
Old 03-06-21, 09:04 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
The nose is typically shorter on a women's saddle. There's also a wider overall profile to accommodate wider sit bones. So yes, there is a difference in the overall shape and yes, if you hold a women's and men's version of the same saddle side-by-side the differences will be clearly visible.

Does that matter? Probably. People spend real time and money researching that sort of thing.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-06-21, 10:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
If the saddle is comfortable not overly padded or poorly shaped for you sit bones and other features of your rear end it doesn't matter what gender they have assigned to it. Find the right saddle for your rear and don't worry about gender. People get too bent out of shape because of it.
Old 03-06-21, 11:17 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
From what I have seen, the only major difference between men's and women's saddles, is that women's trend toward smaller sizes.
Old 03-07-21, 12:11 AM
Bahnzo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Melvang
From what I have seen, the only major difference between men's and women's saddles, is that women's trend toward smaller sizes.
They shouldn't. Women's sit bones trend larger than men's.
Old 03-07-21, 12:18 AM
Bahnzo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
The nose is typically shorter on a women's saddle. There's also a wider overall profile to accommodate wider sit bones. So yes, there is a difference in the overall shape and yes, if you hold a women's and men's version of the same saddle side-by-side the differences will be clearly visible.

Does that matter? Probably. People spend real time and money researching that sort of thing.
The nose difference is what I was wondering about then. But the width shouldn't matter as far as things go. If you need a wider saddle, that shouldn't be a man vs women thing and rather a proper fit thing.
Old 03-07-21, 06:09 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I have two lady's saddles in service. One is on a pink bike. I am still alive and my wife is still married to me.

chick's saddle on a pink bike
Old 03-07-21, 09:03 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I'm looking to try a cutout saddle, as I've never owned one. Unfortunately I don't really have a good bike shop nearby, so I'm having to order online. My back isn't the problem for me, just my butt hurting after awhile. Measuring myself and then the saddle I have on this bike, it's definitely too wide at ~170mm so I'm hoping a 150mm will solve things and provide a little more comfort.

I won't worry about men's/women's I suppose. I was only worried about there being some actual difference in the construction, but it seems calling it a men/women's saddle is nothing but marketing.
Read the "fine print" on the website of the saddle's mfr. Some allow returns (Terry is one that comes to mind, sure there are others).
Old 03-07-21, 12:07 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
What you do with your saddle in private is nobody's business but yours.
Old 03-07-21, 05:44 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I bought what appeared to be a "New Old Stock" (i.e. no noticeable wear) saddle, at a thrift shop. The $5 price was right and it had an "anatomic" cut out, its NOS status was a bonus! While there was no specific indication that it was a "women's" saddle, when I looked up the specs for the brand and model, it was listed as a women's saddle. I was most interested in the the anatomic cutout and wasn't at all concerned that it was a women's saddle. I mounted it up on my Miyata Seven Ten. I'll admit that it felt different the first time I rode with it but will say that it wasn't terribly uncomfortable. It was over half way through the season so I'm sure that an "uncalloused" part of my bottom was in contact with the saddle. I'm pretty sure that situation would occur with any new saddle. As mentioned by others, personal comfort is the key.
Old 03-07-21, 06:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
More saddles are becoming gender neutral, but I personally would not care. The new Bontrager Verse saddle for instance, is gender neutral, be that 2 genders or, 31 if you are in NYC . I was in search of a new saddle and ended up going with the Verse and find it really works for me.

Old 03-07-21, 06:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
The day kotex comes out with a gender neutral bicycle seat will be a day to Always remember.
Old 03-08-21, 01:49 AM
ALexa28

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no issue either it is men or women.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.