Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Found another source of motivation for me

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 08:12 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts

I'm sure this is old hat to many if not most here, but I finally decided to do the Strava subscription to see what more info there was over the free version. While the data analysis was no improvement over what I already have with Golden Cheetah, what I did find interesting was the ability to look at times and speeds on segments sorted into age or weight classes. Why that mattered to me was all the KoM's and such in my area are done by younger guys built like twigs, so they really didn't mean much. But sorting things into my weight class changed it all. Now I have some realistic goals and comparisons to people more like myself. Since then I've been able to take the top spots in that group on a couple segments, and move up on others, and find I keep chasing a bunch of the same names which is fine with me. This also has gotten me to ride faster and harder as I work for speed, and thus move up on overall leader boards (made it into the realm of respectability on a few). So it may not be for everyone, but on some times when I need that extra push I look for rides to do better. YMMV, just tossing it out there.

Eric
Old 09-12-21, 07:15 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I also use Strava to set goals and chase personal records on my rides. I think it is a great motivator.
Old 09-17-21, 05:17 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
...what I did find interesting was the ability to look at times and speeds on segments sorted into age or weight classes. Why that mattered to me was all the KoM's and such in my area are done by younger guys built like twigs, so they really didn't mean much. But sorting things into my weight class changed it all. Now I have some realistic goals and comparisons to people more like myself.
Eric
I like that about being a Subscriber too...nice to have some like for like comparisons.
Old 01-08-22, 01:15 AM
Big Dave Crowe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That's great bro, it's all you!!!! Keep us up to date! What gave you the idea by the way?