Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KMC chain question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

KMC chain question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-22, 05:52 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
KMC chain question

Got a couple of chain questions .. I'm looking to buy a couple of chains - one 9-speed and another 11-speed. I'm looking at the KMC and am seeing different labels for what appears to be similar (if not the same??) chains. Hoping someone can help clarify similarities or differences.

For the 9-speed chains:
Is the 9.93 chain the same as the X9 NP/GY? If not, are there substantive differences in quality or durability?

For the 11-speed chains:
Is the 11.93 chain the same as the 'plain' X11 ... I thought I read that the '93' was a code used in Germany and if we see a KMC X11 chain, it's the same thing. If they are different, any substantive quality or durability differences?

Thanks!
Likes For dennis336:
Old 02-24-22, 08:59 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Contact Papa Ado Bike Forums - Send Message He is a forum member and is a factory rep for KMC based in Taiwan. Very helpful guy and can answer your questions accurately.
Old 02-24-22, 09:24 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Contact Papa Ado Bike Forums - Send Message He is a forum member and is a factory rep for KMC based in Taiwan. Very helpful guy and can answer your questions accurately.
Thanks for the contact!
Old 02-24-22, 10:44 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My understanding is that KMC dropped the .93 and the X9 is the same as the X9.93. I have used both and they seem the same.

Can’t tell you about the X9.73 (non-plated/corrosion resistant) or the X9.99 Completely nickel plated.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-24-22, 02:56 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 267 Posts
When in doubt, buy the "more expensive" one.

Chains usually differ with different platings, they say for "corrosion resistance".

It's not like one chain will be heavier than another, or steal watts.

Most of the time it's the appearance that bugs folks. Some like flat black, flat silver, semi-lustre chrome, pretty chrome, pretty gold.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-24-22, 11:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
the X9 is the same as the X9.93.
This.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-25-22, 04:34 AM
dennis336

Thanks all for the replies. I did reach out to the contact Crankycrank provided and got a quick and helpful response. Here it is:9 speed:
X9 NPGY (silver outer plates and grey inner plates) is our new name for X9.93
X9 NPNP (full silver) is our new name for X9.99

Comment: We found the 93 and 99 names to be confusing so we simply reverted back to the outlooks for descriptions. Both of these chains have the same durability with the only difference being coating. The NPNP will have better protection from rust specifically on the inner plates.

MSRP should be around USD20. Anything much cheaper than that is likely fake.

11 speed:
Same comments for X11 NPGY = X11.93.

We dropped the 93 and 99 model names a few years ago, including renaming many of our multispeed chains for simplicity overall (Z6 = 6 speed, Z7 = 7 speed, etc), but it’s taking a while to completely filter through the market. Sorry for the confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 02-25-22, 05:04 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Thanks all for the replies. I did reach out to the contact Crankycrank provided and got a quick and helpful response. Here it is:9 speed:

Comment: We found the 93 and 99 names to be confusing so we simply reverted back to the outlooks for descriptions. Both of these chains have the same durability with the only difference being coating. The NPNP will have better protection from rust specifically on the inner plates.

MSRP should be around USD20. Anything much cheaper than that is likely fake.

11 speed:
Same comments for X11 NPGY = X11.93.

We dropped the 93 and 99 model names a few years ago, including renaming many of our multispeed chains for simplicity overall (Z6 = 6 speed, Z7 = 7 speed, etc), but it’s taking a while to completely filter through the market. Sorry for the confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions.
So does that mean the Z will be replaced by the X & read X6 {NPGY/NPNP} , X7 {NPGY/NPNP} ?
Old 02-25-22, 05:18 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by Troul
So does that mean the Z will be replaced by the X & read X6 {NPGY/NPNP} , X7 {NPGY/NPNP} ?
I'll defer to others on the 6 and 7 speed reference. I thought (may be wrong) that the 'Z' prefix was the going forward name/model version for the 6 and 7 speed but you raise a good question.

Honestly, I find component model numbers are often very confusing (not just KMC but for other manufacturers, too) for someone like me who is trying to get into my own bike maintenance and is trying to figure out what components to buy and what makes a difference in terms of quality and durability. I sometimes will see slight differences in the labels/models on sites like Amazon but it's not always clear if it's just how the seller is labeling it or if there's really a difference. I'm a bit of a cheapskate so I look for price but I don't want to sacrifice obvious quality differences to save a few dollars in the short term. It's probably all quite simple if you're an experienced mechanic but not so much for someone like me .
Old 02-25-22, 05:38 AM
Troul 

I'll defer to others on the 6 and 7 speed reference. I thought (may be wrong) that the 'Z' prefix was the going forward name/model version for the 6 and 7 speed but you raise a good question.

Honestly, I find component model numbers are often very confusing (not just KMC but for other manufacturers, too) for someone like me who is trying to get into my own bike maintenance and is trying to figure out what components to buy and what makes a difference in terms of quality and durability. I sometimes will see slight differences in the labels/models on sites like Amazon but it's not always clear if it's just how the seller is labeling it or if there's really a difference. I'm a bit of a cheapskate so I look for price but I don't want to sacrifice obvious quality differences to save a few dollars in the short term. It's probably all quite simple if you're an experienced mechanic retailer but not so much for someone like me .
Figuring out how to repair something is pretty much straightforward for a mechanic, but to figure out which product is compatible based on a label, that is not something I'd expect a mechanic to be an expert with as that is a supply (retail) persons' lane.
Do mechanics know what to buy or can figure out which label is correct? Sure. Although, I'd direct the concern to someone in the sales department rather than the tech department.

The day bicycle parts suppliers start using simplified, easy to interpret labels on there packaging will be the day pigs fly.

If I had to point my general product question to just one person, I'd reach out to the engineer.... They should in theory know how to decode the label to know which part is best for the purpose.
Old 02-25-22, 07:23 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I only use KMC chains and the only thing confusing is the KMC website. Good luck finding any naming consistency.

Some chains are called:
Silver (which I guess is nickel plate)

Nickel Plate (which I guess is silver)/Grey

Nickel Plate/Black (which is better or worse than grey)

Grey/Grey (which I guess has no plating but not the same as black)

EcoProTeQ that is grey (which has double rust protection as opposed to the grey without any rust protection)

Unfortunately I couldn’t find NPNP, or NPGY designation on the site.

I’ll still use their chains, but at least a .73, .93, .99 gave a conclusion that higher was better.

John
Old 02-25-22, 07:34 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I only use KMC chains and the only thing confusing is the KMC website. Good luck finding any naming consistency.

Some chains are called:
Silver (which I guess is nickel plate)

Nickel Plate (which I guess is silver)/Grey

Nickel Plate/Black (which is better or worse than grey)

Grey/Grey (which I guess has no plating but not the same as black)

EcoProTeQ that is grey (which has double rust protection as opposed to the grey without any rust protection)

Unfortunately I couldn’t find NPNP, or NPGY designation on the site.

I’ll still use their chains, but at least a .73, .93, .99 gave a conclusion that higher was better.

John
Yup, that about sums it up. For someone like me who probably overthinks what is the 'right' thing to get, shopping is a painful experience.

I'm also looking at 9-speed cassettes to replace the one on my Surly Disc Trucker. Same kind of confusion ... I see an HG400 11-32 and a CS HG400 Mountain bike version on Amazon - about a $25 difference but, from the Shimano site, they don't seem to call out different versions of the HG400 cassette. So, can't tell if there's really any difference from my Google searches.
Old 02-25-22, 08:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I've found Amazon's descriptions of various bike components to be inconsistent and often wrong so don't be surprised if the two cassettes are really the same.

As to KMC chains, about two years ago I bought three 10-speed KMC chains from Jenson for about $28 each. . They are labeled X10, no further numbers, and are described as silver/black and claimed to be medium durability, whatever that means. I haven't used any of them yet but my previous experience with KMC chains has been good.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-25-22, 09:50 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I too use KMC pretty much 100% just because of the value they have IMO. I get them on Ebay from a shop called "trail this" been using them for years, great prices, faster delivery and never worry about getting a fake anything.

I have zero to with this shop I think located in WI, but been a very happy customer of theirs for years now. Other stuff they sell is very hit and miss but chains, that is my go to place. And if you don't mind the bulk packaging instead of factory packed box you can get them a bit cheaper yet.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-25-22, 09:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
When in doubt, buy the "more expensive" one.

Chains usually differ with different platings, they say for "corrosion resistance".

It's not like one chain will be heavier than another, or steal watts.

Most of the time it's the appearance that bugs folks. Some like flat black, flat silver, semi-lustre chrome, pretty chrome, pretty gold.
Actually some of their chains are heavier than their others. Chains with "SL" in the model name are lighter than non-SL chains.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-25-22, 10:16 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by prj71
Actually some of their chains are heavier than their others. Chains with "SL" in the model name are lighter than non-SL chains.
The SL must indicate Slightly Lighter?

Old 02-25-22, 10:47 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
...back when I started out using KMC chains, I was buying "Z" designated chains, because a little cheaper, and worked well on 5-8 cog setups. The "X" model designation originally referred to a different design for their side plate stamping, with the convex portions more in the shape of an X. I'm mostly riding 5-8 cog setups, so their X 8 always worked well for me.

Also, way back when, the Z chains still had straight pin ends, not peened, so you could use them without a link back then. I don't much know what's going on with them now, because I have been using the X series for so long I haven't seen a Z chain in many years. I'm grateful for their products.
Old 02-25-22, 11:33 AM
dennis336

Yes, SL is Super Light and SDNTNL is Super Duper Extremely Next To Nothing Light.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 02-25-22, 12:19 PM
70sSanO

Super Light chains work best with 40+ tooth cogs.

John