Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New Member Aloha

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New Member Aloha

Old 10-29-22, 08:26 PM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
New Member Aloha

I found this place a while ago and have been reading a lot of threads. So many, in fact, I figured I better join up! Especially since I am about to build up my first tandem to try and get my wife out more and I'll beneeding some help there! When I moved to Hawaii 20 years ago I sold all my bicycles because I didn't like how the infrastructure here is not friendly to cyclists. At that time I was a 10-15K miles per year rider (road and mountain) for about 15+ years. As I age I am finding it is hard to keep the pounds off so I started cycling again. I bought a single speed to test the waters if I still liked cycling then I built up a very nice vintage Time carbon frame with a full campy set that I couldn't have afforded 20 years ago and I am enjoying the miles again. Only about 75 per week, as time allows, but with a good mix of terrain. Cheers and Aloha

Last edited by Kevinti; 10-29-22 at 08:39 PM.
Likes For Kevinti:
Old 10-30-22, 12:58 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Welcome.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-02-22, 09:16 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
Welcome! 10-15K a year in the past is impressive. I hope you enjoy getting back into the sport/hobby.
Old 11-02-22, 10:39 AM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Originally Posted by bike_tom
Welcome! 10-15K a year in the past is impressive. I hope you enjoy getting back into the sport/hobby.
Thanks, that was in the past when I had fewer interests, worked too much and needed an outlet! The return to riding has been very rewarding so far, I've lost some extra pounds I didn't need!
Old 11-02-22, 11:25 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
I started riding as an adult in 1997 on Oahu. Mostly I rode like a mad-man in with traffic & drafting busses, UPS trucks & anything else that was available. I destroyed a few rear wheels blasting on to the sidewalk where traffic was too hostile for play-time. Eventually, I outfitted my mountain bike with a road crankset but the rest of the bike was too trashed to make much use of it & it made climbing the heights neighborhoods a bunch more difficult.

There is a bike path under the raised portion of the Nimitz HWY that provided easy access to the L&L that was my savior during late night rides between my GF's house in Waipahu through Pearl City to downtown. As soon as you pass the airport it's a tough go along the stroad (Ala Moana) to get to Kalakaua Avenue where all the action is. Sometimes I'd go as far as Wai'Alae Kāhala just to see what was there.

Nights after 6pm were definitely the best time to ride the urban areas. Access to the bars of the tourist hotels where often times I wouldn't have to ride home until morning was the highlight of my early 20's

But, yeah. A total & complete lack of bicycle accommodation throughout. Thinking back on it, I must've been crazy, brave, or stupid. I can only hope it's gotten better.

Welcome to the forum.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-02-22, 12:22 PM
Kevinti

Originally Posted by base2
I started riding as an adult in 1997 on Oahu. Mostly I rode like a mad-man in with traffic & drafting busses, UPS trucks & anything else that was available. I destroyed a few rear wheels blasting on to the sidewalk where traffic was too hostile for play-time. Eventually, I outfitted my mountain bike with a road crankset but the rest of the bike was too trashed to make much use of it & it made climbing the heights neighborhoods a bunch more difficult.

There is a bike path under the raised portion of the Nimitz HWY that provided easy access to the L&L that was my savior during late night rides between my GF's house in Waipahu through Pearl City to downtown. As soon as you pass the airport it's a tough go along the stroad (Ala Moana) to get to Kalakaua Avenue where all the action is. Sometimes I'd go as far as Wai'Alae Kāhala just to see what was there.

Nights after 6pm were definitely the best time to ride the urban areas. Access to the bars of the tourist hotels where often times I wouldn't have to ride home until morning was the highlight of my early 20's

But, yeah. A total & complete lack of bicycle accommodation throughout. Thinking back on it, I must've been crazy, brave, or stupid. I can only hope it's gotten better.

Welcome to the forum.
I don't think that side of the island has gotten any better but that is just my observation from a car. All my riding is on the windward side between Kaneohe and the Lighthouse...so far! I want to trek up to the North Shore and had an opportunity to scope out the path a few weeks ago by car. I'm torn because going North is really nice going with plenty of clean shoulder but the return!!! There are so many places where there is no shoulder at all, fine for a mile or two and then zero, over a tight bridge so you are instantly the obstacle of every car. I'm still getting stronger and faster though so maybe I will end up joining a group and get it done in a pack.
Old 11-02-22, 02:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Welcome! I get a kick out of your introduction because Aloha is a town 10 miles west of Portland and my home. (It had a Hawaiian population when they were incorporating.)

I have no connection with the islands except in my younger days, had it panned out, I might have raced there on a sailboat. Had a hand in building several boats that did.
Old 11-02-22, 08:06 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 275 Posts
Welcome.
Some of the best mountain biking I ever did was on Kauai. A lot different than my previous SoCal trails and nothing like desert riding around Las Vegas/Henderson/Boulder City.
Old 11-03-22, 08:26 PM
Kevinti

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Welcome! I get a kick out of your introduction because Aloha is a town 10 miles west of Portland and my home. (It had a Hawaiian population when they were incorporating.)

I have no connection with the islands except in my younger days, had it panned out, I might have raced there on a sailboat. Had a hand in building several boats that did.
I have a friend in Dallas that is fond of telling me that Oregon has/had a blue law that made it illegal to marry anyone of Hawaiian ancestry! Maybe your town was created for a sort of atonement? LOL

Cheers

PS, Transpac boats always need crew members! ;-)