Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike specific tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike specific tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 12:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
One thing no one has mentioned yet is a set of chain quick link pliers. I'd recommend a pair of those be one of the first half-dozen bike-specific tools you get.

If you get a set, I'd strongly recommend you get the type that both removes and seats quick links. Yes, you can seat a quick link other ways. But it's much easier with a tool that will both remove and set the quick link.
I prefer quick links that don’t require tools.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-10-22, 12:22 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I prefer quick links that don’t require tools.
The Wipperman links are reputedly very nice. But since SRAM, KMC, and now Shimano include them with a chain why not use those?

Buy 2 or 3 Wipperman links and you've paid for even the Park Tool chain link pliers.
Old 12-10-22, 12:40 PM
smd4

But since SRAM, KMC, and now Shimano include them with a chain why not use those?
Because...they require a tool. See my post above.

Buy 2 or 3 Wipperman links and you've paid for even the Park Tool chain link pliers.
Exactly. With two or three Connex links, I'll never need a tool.
Old 12-10-22, 12:43 PM
Hondo6

With two or three Connex links, I'll never need a tool.
Connex links are long-lasting, but they're not immune to wear. Their pins wear just like those on other chain links, albeit perhaps more slowly.

I'd prefer not to have one worn link on a new chain. Even if it's a Connex link.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 12-10-22, 02:14 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Park Tools aren't really "best" when comparing their quality and hardness to premium automotive tooks like Snap-On.

Are Park Tools good? Sure. There's so much cheap crap tools out there (i.e. HarborFreight), it doesn't take much to stand out to be better.

Because I dived into automotive work before bike wrenching, automotive tools need to be more demanding to handle the most stubborn overtorqued fasteners that one would rarely find on a bike. The hardness of a tool is your best friend.

My experience allows me to appreciate a quality tool and usually opt for the best. Some Park Tools make it into my drawers. Most of them will never.

I don't make a religion out of it and really couldn't care less what others like or use.

I know what I like, my money can afford it, my tools make money for me.

Old 12-10-22, 02:51 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by soyabean
Park Tools aren't really "best" when comparing their quality and hardness to premium automotive tooks like Snap-On.

Are Park Tools good? Sure. There's so much cheap crap tools out there (i.e. HarborFreight), it doesn't take much to stand out to be better.

Some Park Tools make it into my drawers. Most of them will never.
Does Snap On make crank pullers? Frame alignment gauges? Headset wrenches?

Snap On tools are top notch for sure. We used their box/open end wrenches and screwdrivers in the shops. But Park makes some of the best bike-specific tools. The quality was certainly better back in the day.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-10-22, 03:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I worked with off brand, etc tools for years and got by, but every time I used a quality tool vs an ok tool it was a revelation just how much better a park chain breaker is vs cheapo

best tool investment was a good stand (and I spent more money trying to DIY a good stand then the good stand cost....money wasted)

specialize tolls such as a quick link wrench seem a luxury.... until they make your life 20 times better and a 1000% les frustrating

My advice is buy quality if it is a specialized tool, there fit better, feel better and do the job enough better to make a difference

but have fun with the bike, post a pic and ride

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-10-22, 05:21 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
How much stress do you think a chain whip endures? Very little if you're doing it right.
I have the park, and I have a cheap red one that I got years ago. I really don't see a difference as far as durability and usability. Kind of like Pedro's cone wrenches vs Park's.
Most Park tools are very good, but they are not Tool Truck quality. But, what is? (Proto, maybe)
Don't get me wrong, I like my Park tools, but they ain't all that and a bag of chips. Ever break a Park tool? You bought it, you got it., They have an out for most issues. Heck, Crapsman has a better warranty.

But, Campy tools
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Anybody actually have a cheap chainwhip break? Doubtful. If so, just put another section of chain on it. The risk to the lockring is lousy technique, mine are generally aluminum and it is not going damage a steel tool. Rather, you will strip it with ham fisted technique.

Buy the cheap tool to take the cassette off
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have had a cheap chain whip for decades and it still functions fine as does the cheapo Park cassette lockring removal tool.

IIRC, Jen is a college student. She probably does not have the money to waste. Buy the good enough tools and spend the savings on fast tires for your next Tri
My advice to her was to purchase the best she could afford. If an Amazon tool is what her budget allows, then fine. But in the long run, I still believe you get what you pay for. I do have an Amazon chain whip, and all that was worth a nickel was the handle. The chain was not even attached properly and it was also not a good enough piece of chain to go on a kid's bike from Walmart. On my vintage bikes, I don't think I would want to save a few bucks to remove a crank with a cheap crank puller that may damage a 40 year old crank arm. And I'm pretty sure I know how to use it correctly.

I'll agree that the Craftsman warranty is fine. But Craftsman tools are not what they used to be. If one of my Craftsman tools from the 80s broke today, I would replace it on eBay with the same vintage tool before taking it to Lowes and trading it for one of the Chinese Craftsman tools they would try to replace it with. And the Craftsman tools I have from the 80s don't hold a candle to the Snap On tools I bought from the same era.

Old 12-10-22, 05:39 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Craftsman has never been the best, it was accessible for every day Americans by store and mail order.
It had the best guarantee, period. still does. In fact, I call it crapsman, but I still have some
Sometimes you don't need the best or even second best. I have an old park,chain whip and a 15 year younger (but still about 20 years old) nothing special one. They both work fine. and if you're talking the BBT-22, I'll tell you to buy the Pedro's, it's much higher quality than the park is. The park is cast, the Pedro's is machined out of tool steel.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 12-10-22, 05:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
VegasJen This cheaper one looks noticeably better than the one you linked:

Amazon.com : Oumers Bike Chain Tools Kit, Cassette Removal Tool Sprocket Remover Kit/Chain Whip and Cassette/Rotor Lockring Removal Tool with Guide Pin : Sports & Outdoors

And you can insert ratchet directly into the cassette tool. But I agree with everyone who recommend getting the Park Tool version of the cassette tool, whereas pretty much any chain whip would do. As for chain quick link tool, this one is my favorite.

Amazon.com : Super B 2-in-1 Master Link Pliers (The Trident) : Sports & Outdoors

Because it both removes and install quick links.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-10-22, 06:18 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I just want to give a shoutout to Icetoolz
I have found their stuff, cone spanners, etc, to be equal or higher quality than park, at a lower price

Those Taiwanese mid-tier companies are the peak price/quality ime.
TengTools are also fantastic
Likes For Soody:
Old 12-10-22, 06:18 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Bought this in the late '80's When Park was great stuff. Not so much now.
I wrote a post specifically about this bit of engineering perfection, but it got no responses. This Allen tri-wrench, aluminum block at the center with plastic coated arms, was our best friend in the bike shop, a tool we used probably more than any other. If I wasn’t using it, it was in the pocket of my shop apron. It rarely was returned to the workbench. The steel 8,9,10 mm socket version wasn’t far behind. I still have one like shown above, with all three arms still in their original plastic coating.

The current Park version, along with its Torx cousin, pale in quality comparison.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-10-22, 06:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
OP: Bike Specific Tools?

I don't think I have used this tool for anything else but bicycles. Even my Crank Puller, Cup Wrenches, Spoke Meter, and Pedal Wrench have been used on other devices. I even used my Freewheel socket to clean out and flare the inner diameter of a copper pipe...

Last edited by zandoval; 12-10-22 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 12-10-22, 07:53 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
My advice to her was to purchase the best she could afford. If an Amazon tool is what her budget allows, then fine. But in the long run, I still believe you get what you pay for. I do have an Amazon chain whip, and all that was worth a nickel was the handle. The chain was not even attached properly and it was also not a good enough piece of chain to go on a kid's bike from Walmart. On my vintage bikes, I don't think I would want to save a few bucks to remove a crank with a cheap crank puller that may damage a 40 year old crank arm. And I'm pretty sure I know how to use it correctly.

I'll agree that the Craftsman warranty is fine. But Craftsman tools are not what they used to be. If one of my Craftsman tools from the 80s broke today, I would replace it on eBay with the same vintage tool before taking it to Lowes and trading it for one of the Chinese Craftsman tools they would try to replace it with. And the Craftsman tools I have from the 80s don't hold a candle to the Snap On tools I bought from the same era.
And that's perfectly valid. In fact, that's why I posted what I posted. I'm not going to be making a living with these, so I don't want to buy top shelf stuff for something that's going to only get used once or twice a year. But I want to buy something that actually will do the job without breaking or damaging components when I need it.
Old 12-10-22, 08:21 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
OP: Ancient Bike Specific Tools?

I don't think I have used this tool for anything else but bicycles. Even my Crank Puller, Cup Wrenches, Spoke Meter, and Pedal Wrench have been used on other devices. I even used my Freewheel socket to clean out and flare the inner diameter of a copper pipe...

FIFY. I have not had a freewheel in over 30 years or used my crank puller in 35 years or cup wrenches in 35 years.

She is a Triathlon racer. I doubt she had an old bike. Her wheels won't have cups or freewheels or a crank that is not self extracting.

My tools are modest but my groupsets are always the top of the line and in 40+ years, they have never complained. Cables can be cut with a Park cutter or one can spend $100+
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-10-22, 09:24 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by zandoval
OP: Bike Specific Tools?

Does Snap On make one?
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-10-22, 10:17 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Now I'm really going to date myself, but BITD (80's-90's) Park were the good value choice: decent quality at a good price. I liked VAR better, though harder to find. Campagnolo were the top of the heap in quality and design, of course, but very spendy. Park is still OK quality, but not so good a price anymore. Strange to see them held up as a sort of standard.

As for the OP, the tool will no doubt work if you keep your gear in good nick (if not you'll probably want something better). I wouldn't overthink this.
Likes For sincos:
Old 12-10-22, 10:18 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Does Snap On make crank pullers? Frame alignment gauges? Headset wrenches?

Snap On tools are top notch for sure. We used their box/open end wrenches and screwdrivers in the shops. But Park makes some of the best bike-specific tools. The quality was certainly better back in the day.
​​​​​​https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...snap-on.28921/

​​​​​​https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...-snap-on.4811/
Old 12-11-22, 08:37 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Does Snap On make one?
Old 12-11-22, 09:53 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Connex links are long-lasting, but they're not immune to wear. Their pins wear just like those on other chain links, albeit perhaps more slowly.

I'd prefer not to have one worn link on a new chain. Even if it's a Connex link.
I consider the quick-links to have the same life expectancy as the chain, but I keep a couple used ones for emergency use. I prefer the Connex links because they don't require a tool to open, but I have been using KMC chains lately and their links need a little "persuasion" to open. I got a Wolf Tooth Master Link Pliers at a show, so it doesn't matter what kind of link it is... but I carry a couple Connex spares inside the tool.
FWIW, I've opened and closed several KMC "single-use" links many times with no problems (on a non-derailleur drivetrain). The links are not transferred to a new chain.
Old 12-11-22, 10:39 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by sweeks
I consider the quick-links to have the same life expectancy as the chain, but I keep a couple used ones for emergency use. I prefer the Connex links because they don't require a tool to open, but I have been using KMC chains lately and their links need a little "persuasion" to open. I got a Wolf Tooth Master Link Pliers at a show, so it doesn't matter what kind of link it is... but I carry a couple Connex spares inside the tool.
FWIW, I've opened and closed several KMC "single-use" links many times with no problems (on a non-derailleur drivetrain). The links are not transferred to a new chain.
Pretty much the same here. I've got a few new KMCs for spares (and for Shimano chains that don't come with one). For chains that come with quick links, I'll use whatever came with them. Those links get used with one chain, then discarded.

I got a set of no-name "cheapies" (multiple speeds in the pkg) some time back. A couple of those are in the small bag that goes with me on a ride. They'll at least get me home if I need one.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 12-11-22, 03:48 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
The “Bike Hand” tools are made in Taiwan and aren’t bad at all. I own their crank puller and a couple others. I’d trust them over random Amazon brands any day.

And count me as one who doesn’t think Park tools are all that. The only thing they have going for them is widespread LBS availability. Hozan and Unior both make better bike specific tools IMO.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 12-11-22, 03:55 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
The “Bike Hand” tools are made in Taiwan and aren’t bad at all. I own their crank puller and a couple others. I’d trust them over random Amazon brands any day.

And count me as one who doesn’t think Park tools are all that. The only thing they have going for them is widespread LBS availability. Hozan and Unior both make better bike specific tools IMO.
Thanks for the heads up. I am not afraid of Taiwanese stuff. I'm not expecting the same quality as high end names, but Taiwan has stepped up their game in the last 20-30 years. And for ulterior reasons, I prefer products made anywhere other than China.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 12-11-22, 06:18 PM
ign1te

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Start with something like this.

https://www.bikehand.com/en/product-...t-YC-735A.html
Old 12-11-22, 06:59 PM
smd4

The problem with pre-packaged tool kits is they invariably include unnecessary tools, or tools you may already have. I picked up a Crivit tool kit similar to the one linked above at Lidl for $20, which had enough specific tools to be worth it.

I’m with most people here: get the tool when you need it. Build your tool kit with the tools you’re going to use as you go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.