Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

47C tires on 650B wheels!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

47C tires on 650B wheels!

Old 03-14-23, 09:14 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
For a year or two back in the 90s, GT tried to make hybrid bikes with 700D wheels. They flopped…hard! Pity the pour soul who still owns one.
I remember those bikes. Very stylish and good quality, but impractical because of the stupid and pointless oddball wheel size. It is my understanding, though, that 650B/27.5 tires might actually fit - funnily enough, I don't recall ever seeing a 650B tire in my bike shop career before the '27.5' standard was brought into mountain bikes years later.
Old 03-14-23, 10:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Seems like asking a bit much in a nation that has accepted the abuse of the word "rhetoric" -- a perfectly good word to describe the art of persuasion -- in place of polemic, the default mode of discourse in the US and much of the world.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-14-23, 12:33 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Seems like asking a bit much in a nation that has accepted the abuse of the word "rhetoric" -- a perfectly good word to describe the art of persuasion -- in place of polemic, the default mode of discourse in the US and much of the world.
What are you trying to say here?

Old 03-14-23, 01:05 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are misunderstanding the French system. There was a 700B rim that had a 635mm tire bead seat. The “700x38B” is the same misuse of the French designation as “700x38C” would be. The B and C are in the wrong place and should be 700Bx38 and 700Cx38. At this point it’s kind of hopeless to try to correct it because as Tevye says “TRADITION!”
"TRADITION' is correct - the C has always gone after the width number. I suspect the original intent was to use the same width tire on every 622mm rim (likely ~39mm) to give the wheel a nominal diameter of 700mm. 700x39C has been the way those sizes have been consistently labelled since different width tires were first made for those standard rim sizes.