Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Across America 1965

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Across America 1965

Old 03-19-23, 01:36 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Bike Across America 1965

Ran across this. Guy telling the story of himself & his buddy biking across America in 1965.

Video description: This documentary chronicles two young men trying to find their way through the confusing issues of the '60s. One trying to find his father and the other trying to find his future. Neither could have realized the different American cultures they would encounter, which would etch into their lives forever.

Last edited by duffer1960; 03-19-23 at 09:31 PM.
Likes For duffer1960:
Old 03-19-23, 07:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I have that pinned to watch, I saw it listed , but have not had a chance to watch it yet.

Old 03-19-23, 11:05 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I particularly liked the part where Hemingway wrote "The Grapes of Wrath".
Likes For wayold:
Old 03-20-23, 07:12 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Great story, and a fairly good story teller. Went to the authors website and unfortunately none of the links work. Perhaps they are not links? The book is available hardcover form from Amazon. Didn't find it on the book logix site. I'd like to read the story to get more details.
My brother toured on his Raleigh Professional. What the youthful mind is willing to do for adventure! There were specialized touring bikes back then, but who could justify or afford more than one?
My touring started in the 70's with a cotton sleeping bag and a 7 pound tent. Getting things wet was a real bad situation. The stuff sacks we had were only water resistant and if more than a slight mist, the bag got wet. Those were the days! My low gear was 39x28, my brother's was 42x24. He was tougher than I, but I was faster than him when we would go head to head. Those were the days!
Likes For TiHabanero: