Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Going tubeless with a new oddball sealant.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Going tubeless with a new oddball sealant.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23, 09:41 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Ok I think something is going on. I used the flat out in our tandem tires first. The back held air for a month in the last couple of months it lost a little air after sitting several days or a really big temp change. The front once I got the valve stem tight enough would go a week or so without needed air. But the last week or so it has lost air over a day or so.
I had to take the back tire off to get a spoke repaired and I found the tire wet inside with flat out but no real puddle as I expected. I put around 8oz on flat out in the tire. Well I was thinking if the back is dry maybe the front too? So I added some and it has held air since.
On my commuter its been pretty consistent it loosed some air and they need filled once a week. One tire was low when the temp went from 40 to 23 in the morning but other than that pretty constant. Well had a punter on the way home I heard the hiss and after maybe 3 wheel rotations it stoped and the air level seemed ok (I was not sure what tire it was. I was sick for 2 days and did not ride I found the front tire low and added air. Most of the way home it was getting low. Almost made it about a mile from home but it was too low. So hit it with co2 but it would not hold air Could not find the hole to use a dynadart so I walked home (it was raining and the tires were wet) took the wheel off and brought it in the house to see if I cold find the hole after it dried off. Well pumped it off but air is leaking from the bead and there seems no fluid in the tire.
It seems weird I lost 8oz of sealant in a couple of months or maybe 600 or so miles of riding at most on each bike.
Old 03-19-23, 10:39 AM
fooferdoggie 

Ok I kept seeing small wet spots on my commuter tire even after three days. but then I saw one slowly bubbling I realized this was the flat out sealing punctures as it does not dry out. but I was wondering how I could get so many punctures when I saw three of them. then a whole I used a plug on I saw wet. so I marked the sidewall and yep the same punctures are leaking. so it seems that the flat out is not permanently sealing them. so the back tire of our tandem I used muc-off and found two punctures in that tire that it sealed. so now I know where the flat out is going.
Old 03-19-23, 10:56 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
So there seems to be a fundamental problem with this slow drying sealant. It’s slow to dry inside your tire but also slow to dry while trying to plug holes.
Old 03-19-23, 01:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
So there seems to be a fundamental problem with this slow drying sealant. It’s slow to dry inside your tire but also slow to dry while trying to plug holes.
no I think it plugs them just fine but its not a permeant plug. thats why I dont lose a lot of air. but it was not designed for this so it was a experiment. but f it would last 2 or three months then you just add more you dont have to clean the old stuff out it would be fine.
Old 04-02-23, 02:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

ok an update. there tires I have on my commuter are these 2" super thin tires they feel great but man they get holes like no tomorrow. I have maybe 600 miles them and I bet 6 to 8 holes or more in each tire.
I washed everything and used muc-off it worked ok when I first changed over each tire had a bunch of holes that it sealed. when I went to ride after converting a few hours later I added more air and some of the holes opened back up. I found this every time I had a leak and aired up the tires some of the punters would open back up. I was finding the tires low a lot and decided to go back to flat out. that at least holds air till I run out of it in the tires. I had used a couple of dynaplugs in the tire on the bigger punctures. but after a day the next commute I used two darts on the way to work and had to fill the tire as it lost 1/2 the air three times and once on the way home.
but by this time I figure its time for a different tire these tires fee great but they are way to puncture prone. so when I took the tire off I found all 80z of flat out was gone but the tire finally stopped leaking.. but I found the dynapugs had fallen out and into the tire. I was wondering why it was not hard to insert them. I think the flat out keeps them from stick to the tire. to its because the tire is so thin maybe?