Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weird fork eyelet - Mounting a front rack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Weird fork eyelet - Mounting a front rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 07:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
just tighten it down until everything is flat. what could go wrong?
Old 03-10-23, 08:25 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I think you’re grossly overestimating the force vectors involved here, and also underestimating the margin of difference in a flush joint -v- 1-2mm off spacers. A flush joint will support the hundreds of pounds you intend to carry, but a >2mm offset will cause the bolt to bend?

If I was installing this rack, I’d either use a couple brass crush washers to fill that gap, or an aluminum sleeve, beveled to match the profile of the fork. I could probably do it in about an hour, with the materials in my garage.

You could also upgrade the mounting bolt itself; instead of the Grade 5 SS typically used, you could get higher strength Grade 8, or source some NAS “Aerospace” grade hardware.
It's been a while since I studied, but I did take some structural engineering classes in college, and I've have no concerns about using a couple of brass crush washers to help conform to the non-flat surface and then a standoff to clear the fork and other bits. There will be two forces acting upon the bolt,

A) the bending force caused by the rack mounting point being offset from the fork mounting point. In this case, the lever arm - even at 8mm - is so short that 40# of downward force will not exceed the yield strength of the bolt.

B) the sheer force caused by the downward weight. Again, the forces at play here are so small that the bolt is not likely to sheer off.

Originally Posted by smasha
I've got the Tubus Tara rack here, and playing around with it, the fit may not be as bad as I thought.

Pictured, below, is from the Tara installation manual. The red piece is an optional spacer/standoff, 8mm long x 8mm OD.

Based on this, an 8mm spacer with an 8mm OD should be fine... If it sits flush with the face around the eyelet.

So now I'm reconsidering a counterbore around the eyelet. I think that part of the dropout, below the weld, is solid. If that's the case, I don't think an 9-10mm ⌀ counterbore, about 2mm at the deepest point, would put me in any danger.

This would leave the rack close very the QR hardware, but not touching.

This would also put the rack a little off level, but I've seen much worse.

I'm not sure about adding braze-on eyelets now, as the flat-mount brake is kind of where I'd want to put eyelets, on that side. It may be feasible, it may not be.

As always, looking for constructive thoughts and opinions from everyone else here.

I have a Tubus Tara front rack and use those spacers without issue. I don't think that a counterbore is necessary. If anything, if the counterbore has any sharp edges - either at the bottom of the bore or at the top - that becomes a stress concentrator. A couple of soft brass crush washers should be sufficient.

Last edited by john m flores; 03-10-23 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-10-23, 11:17 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
just tighten it down until everything is flat. what could go wrong?
I know, I know... Just call me Mr Conservative.
Old 03-10-23, 11:39 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by john m flores
It's been a while since I studied, but I did take some structural engineering classes in college, and I've have no concerns about using a couple of brass crush washers to help conform to the non-flat surface and then a standoff to clear the fork and other bits. There will be two forces acting upon the bolt,

A) the bending force caused by the rack mounting point being offset from the fork mounting point. In this case, the lever arm - even at 8mm - is so short that 40# of downward force will not exceed the yield strength of the bolt.

B) the sheer force caused by the downward weight. Again, the forces at play here are so small that the bolt is not likely to sheer off.

I have a Tubus Tara front rack and use those spacers without issue. I don't think that a counterbore is necessary. If anything, if the counterbore has any sharp edges - either at the bottom of the bore or at the top - that becomes a stress concentrator. A couple of soft brass crush washers should be sufficient.
Across the radius of where the crush washer would fit, one side would have about a 2mm gap while the other side comes into contact with the fork. I think that's not going to work.

I'm not worried about shear strength. It's the bending forces, with weight and time, that concern me. A spacer/standoff acting as a sleeve can alleviate that, if I can get both ends of the standoff flush.

Makes sense to me about sharp edges on a counterbore. I'll have to check if that can be done with filleted edges.
Old 03-11-23, 01:42 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Wondering if I should change this project from a a Giant Cross City (aka Escape) 2 to a Trek FX 2. Seems like very similar geometry, designed for a very similar riding.

The specs for the FX2 say "Max tire size - 38c without fenders". I'm wondering if I can push that to 42, since I already have 700x42 (44-622) tires for this project, but 38c would be fine, if I need.

Or maybe find a fork from a Trek FX 2, if it can fit wider tires, and put that on the Cross City 2 frame? Would that likely work?

1st picture is a Trek FX 2 fork/dropouts, courtesy of a second-hand listing. Looks like a dream, where I'm sitting.

2nd pictures shows colour (close enough to my Cross City 2) and mid-fork eyelets.

Old 03-12-23, 12:44 PM
john m flores 

A spacer/standoff is not going to alleviate the bending force; it's going to be an additional force applied axially.

40# of force acting upon a 8mm lever arm is not applying much bending force at all, certainly not enough to bend the bolt. Try it yourself - put a similar bolt in a bench vise with 1cm exposed and try to bend it with a pair of pliers. It won't budge.
Old 03-12-23, 09:35 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 331 Posts
Is this a better idea?
Well it wouldn't be brazed. My experience of frame building doesn't extend to aluminium, but if post weld heat treatment is required you might struggle to find someone to do it. Then you'd have to paint the fork. It might be easier and cheaper to find a nice steel fork, or at least an aluminium one that has functional rack eyes.
Old 03-13-23, 06:29 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by grumpus
Well it wouldn't be brazed. My experience of frame building doesn't extend to aluminium, but if post weld heat treatment is required you might struggle to find someone to do it. Then you'd have to paint the fork. It might be easier and cheaper to find a nice steel fork, or at least an aluminium one that has functional rack eyes.
You're the second person today (first person here) who mentioned post-welding heat treatment.

For a city-bike, a can of spray-paint might do for painting. Or I might wind up with a Trek FX2 fork on a Cross City (Escape) 2 frame, and the colours should be close enough.

Anyway, one local shop got back to me with this:
Hey. I have a rivet gun and some threaded inserts that we can install. Generally alloy needs to be heat treated once you do any welding.
To which I responded:
Thanks for that update. Not sure if that's going to work, because it would require raising the lower eyelets higher than I'd want, and then I'd have to also have to install new/higher mid-fork eyelets.
My other plan at this point is keep my eyes open for a large Trek FX2, or a fork from a large (or larger) FX2.
I'm actually not sure if I'd need a large (or larger) FX2 fork. Are forks and steerer-tubes the same size, for different size bikes? Are forks the same size, but steerer-tube lengths vary?
Old 03-13-23, 06:35 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

A spacer/standoff is not going to alleviate the bending force; it's going to be an additional force applied axially.
if I have a 5mm bolt inside of a standoff with an 8mm OD, and all faces/surfaces are flush, and there's a load perpendicular to the bolt... I'd expect the standoff to transfer some of the leverage force into a stretching force on the bolt.

40# of force acting upon a 8mm lever arm is not applying much bending force at all, certainly not enough to bend the bolt. Try it yourself - put a similar bolt in a bench vise with 1cm exposed and try to bend it with a pair of pliers. It won't budge.
Metal fatigue, though. Over time, it seems like that's just asking for trouble.
Old 03-13-23, 01:10 PM
grumpus

I'm actually not sure if I'd need a large (or larger) FX2 fork. Are forks and steerer-tubes the same size, for different size bikes? Are forks the same size, but steerer-tube lengths vary?
Steerer varies by frame size and by model, axle-to-crown only varies by model (except in the case of different wheel size for different sizes of the same model). When you buy an aftermarket fork it usually comes with a longer steerer than you're going to need and you cut it down to suit your stack height, but buying a used fork you need to check steerer length. Have you looked at Surly's touring forks?
Old 03-13-23, 06:27 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Steerer varies by frame size and by model, axle-to-crown only varies by model (except in the case of different wheel size for different sizes of the same model). When you buy an aftermarket fork it usually comes with a longer steerer than you're going to need and you cut it down to suit your stack height, but buying a used fork you need to check steerer length. Have you looked at Surly's touring forks?
The Surly forks look good, except I'm looking for aluminium.
Old 03-13-23, 09:20 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the shear load capacity of a 5mm bolt is a bit below one metric ton... an aluminum bike rack is rated to about, what, 50 Pounds? :-D

i'd suggest custom grinding or filing a standoff out of a tall V-brake pivoting base(the taller aluminum part, they come in two thicknesses), but then you characters couldn't rack up another 85 posts discussing this simple fix.

carry on

Last edited by maddog34; 03-13-23 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 03-14-23, 06:27 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by maddog34
the shear load capacity of a 5mm bolt is a bit below one metric ton... an aluminum bike rack is rated to about, what, 50 Pounds? :-D
Yebbut /fatigue/ ... the fact that you'll have to overcome half a ton of clamping force before you stress cycle the fastener is easily overlooked.
i'd suggest custom grinding or filing a standoff out of a tall V-brake pivoting base(the taller aluminum part, they come in two thicknesses), but then you characters couldn't rack up another 85 posts discussing this simple fix.
I keep a few pieces of round bar in brass and aluminium for making spacers - I can have the spacer made in less time than it would take me to scratch around for something to improvise with.
Old 03-14-23, 06:33 AM
grumpus

The Surly forks look good, except I'm looking for aluminium.
Because?
Old 03-14-23, 06:37 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

That's cool, but shear-strength of a bolt matters when the two surfaces held together by that bolt are (a) perpendicular to the bolt and (b) flush, and (c) the forces are perpendicular to the length of the bolt.

Under a purely shear-strength condition, bending strength is essentially irrelevant.

As the surfaces held together by the bolt are not flush, then shear-strength becomes less relevant, and bending forces become more relevant.
Old 03-14-23, 06:42 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Because?
Because I like aluminium bikes. For how/where I ride, they appeal to me more than steel or carbon fibre,

If I had $5-10k to spend on a commuter/city bike, I'd seriously consider titanium. Of course, locking up in the city is another disincentive to titanium.
Likes For smasha:
Old 03-14-23, 07:04 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Maybe this is a viable (safe) solution, using the Escape/ Cross City fork?

This was mentioned previously, but I just now got a chance to mock it up. I'd probably use a nylock nut, and all stainless hardware, if I were to go with this.

A 20mm M5 bolt holds the bottom rack-flange to the fork's eyelet, near the dropout. There are washers directly on both the inside and outside of the rack flange, and a nut on the inside of the rack flange, tightened against the bolt-head.

The tension on the nut prevents the bolt from turning, there's a small gap between the rack-flange and the fork, and there's no pressure against the curved/angled eyelet face on the fork.

This gives me about 7mm between the rack-flange and where the bolt goes into the eyelet.
(Edit: With a nylock washer and a flat washer, this may push the flange to about 8mm from the eyelet)
(Edit 2: Maybe I should use liquid thread-lock, and a normal nut, to minimise the length/leverage between the flange and fork)

Not ideal, but good enough?

What could go wrong? What failure modes should I consider?

Picture shows the drive-side of the fork, picture from the front, facing rear.

Last edited by smasha; 03-14-23 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For smasha:
Old 03-14-23, 07:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

don't overload it, don't get a flat, bring P-clips?
Old 03-14-23, 07:52 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by rumrunn6

don't overload it, don't get a flat, bring P-clips?
I intend to stay within the 18kg rated limit of the rack (9kg per side), if that's what you mean by not overloading it.

I ride Schwalbe Marathons, so flats are rare, and I have the gear and know-how to fix a flat in the field.

P-Clips... Maybe not a bad idea.
Likes For smasha:
Old 03-14-23, 08:42 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
A warning about P-clip use: I used P-clips to install a cheap rear rack whose lower legs were not quite long enough to reach the corresponding holes in the rear fork ends. In the course of the first ride with lightly loaded panniers, the P-clips slipped down past the end of the seat stay and settled on the fork end, scraping it badly before I could get home to fix it. (Aluminum frame, coincidentally.)
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-14-23, 11:36 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
This will not work long term. That screw will eventually shear.

The friction force between the mated surfaces is a large portion of the shear resistance. Let me phrase it another way: the threaded portion of the screw is meant for tension. Tightening the screw compresses parallel surfaces into each other. The resulting friction is what keeps the surfaces from moving against each other.

Right now you have zero friction because the mated surfaces are not touching each other at all. The entire shear force is being taking up by the screw itself. The screw is not designed to work this way and will eventually fail. This is not a question of if, it is a question of when.

If I was the owner of this bike, I'd be shopping for a replacement fork. They are not very expensive.

Maybe this is a viable (safe) solution, using the Escape/ Cross City fork?

This was mentioned previously, but I just now got a chance to mock it up. I'd probably use a nylock nut, and all stainless hardware, if I were to go with this.

A 20mm M5 bolt holds the bottom rack-flange to the fork's eyelet, near the dropout. There are washers directly on both the inside and outside of the rack flange, and a nut on the inside of the rack flange, tightened against the bolt-head.

The tension on the nut prevents the bolt from turning, there's a small gap between the rack-flange and the fork, and there's no pressure against the curved/angled eyelet face on the fork.

This gives me about 7mm between the rack-flange and where the bolt goes into the eyelet.
(Edit: With a nylock washer and a flat washer, this may push the flange to about 8mm from the eyelet)
(Edit 2: Maybe I should use liquid thread-lock, and a normal nut, to minimise the length/leverage between the flange and fork)

Not ideal, but good enough?

Picture shows the drive-side of the fork, picture from the front, facing rear.

Old 03-14-23, 06:30 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Yan
This will not work long term. That screw will eventually shear.

The friction force between the mated surfaces is a large portion of the shear resistance. Let me phrase it another way: the threaded portion of the screw is meant for tension. Tightening the screw compresses parallel surfaces into each other. The resulting friction is what keeps the surfaces from moving against each other.

Right now you have zero friction because the mated surfaces are not touching each other at all. The entire shear force is being taking up by the screw itself. The screw is not designed to work this way and will eventually fail. This is not a question of if, it is a question of when.

If I was the owner of this bike, I'd be shopping for a replacement fork. They are not very expensive.
This mostly makes sense to me.

The part that doesn't make sense is this: Most/all (non-carbon) forks that "properly" support a rack require a standoff/spacer between the lower rack flange and the lower fork eyelet. Assuming that the ends of the spacer are flush with the mating surfaces, that spacer is maintaining a tension force on the bolt, but still creating leverage when there's weight on the rack, and shear forces (as you've described) don't seem to apply. In other words, the way it's typically done precludes shear strength (as you've described) from being a factor; instead, a leverage/tension force on the bolt is the limiting factor. By any measure, this is orders of magnitude weaker than shear strength.

* Does this mean that even those setups will fail; not if but when?
* Compared to a setup like that (requiring a spacer), is this proposal any worse?

Most racks come with spacers for this. The Tara rack comes with 8mm spacers. This implies that I can safely "get away with" 8mm of distance between the rack flange and the fork eyelet, at least with some tension on the bolt and flush mating surfaces on either side of the spacer. Compared to that, it's lacking tension on ⪆2mm of "naked"/"exposed" bolt length, and there's no spacer that may otherwise convert some leverage force into some tension force.

Last edited by smasha; 03-14-23 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-14-23, 07:20 PM
john m flores 

This mostly makes sense to me.

The part that doesn't make sense is this: Most/all (non-carbon) forks that "properly" support a rack require a standoff/spacer between the lower rack flange and the lower fork eyelet. Assuming that the ends of the spacer are flush with the mating surfaces, that spacer is maintaining a tension force on the bolt, but still creating leverage when there's weight on the rack, and shear forces (as you've described) don't seem to apply. In other words, the way it's typically done precludes shear strength (as you've described) from being a factor; instead, a leverage/tension force on the bolt is the limiting factor. By any measure, this is orders of magnitude weaker than shear strength.

* Does this mean that even those setups will fail; not if but when?
* Compared to a setup like that (requiring a spacer), is this proposal any worse?

Most racks come with spacers for this. The Tara rack comes with 8mm spacers. This implies that I can safely "get away with" 8mm of distance between the rack flange and the fork eyelet, at least with some tension on the bolt and flush mating surfaces on either side of the spacer. Compared to that, I'm lacking tension on ⪆2mm of "naked"/"exposed" bolt length, and I don't have a spacer that may otherwise convert some leverage force into some tension force.
You're operating under the misconception that putting tension on the bolt somehow counteracts the downward force of the rack and whatever is on it. It does not. A simple force diagram will show that. Putting the bolt in tension will not magically change the direction of the downward force of the rack.

You can test this by putting the bike on a scale and putting 30 lbs on the rack. Tightening and loosening the bolt will not change the number on the scale.

Whether or not you add a spacer or how much you tighten the bolt will do other things - increase friction in the threads to deter loosening, increasing the tensile forces acting upon the upper surface of the bolt (the tension caused by the tightened bolt + the tensile forces cause by the moment caused by the load, etc...) but it will not change the downward load and the sheer forces causes by it.
Old 03-14-23, 07:56 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

You're operating under the misconception that putting tension on the bolt somehow counteracts the downward force of the rack and whatever is on it. It does not. A simple force diagram will show that. Putting the bolt in tension will not magically change the direction of the downward force of the rack.
That's kind of my point; if an 8mm spacer over a bolt is suitable for this task, then is ≈7mm of bolt without a spacer suitable for this task? Does it change the equation if part of that bolt is under a tension that keeps it flush and perpendicular with one of the two mating surfaces?
Old 03-14-23, 08:26 PM
john m flores 

That's kind of my point; if an 8mm spacer over a bolt is suitable for this task, then is ≈7mm of bolt without a spacer suitable for this task? Does it change the equation if part of that bolt is under a tension that keeps it flush and perpendicular with one of the two mating surfaces?
The spacers used for the Tubus racks are not structural. They are plastic and their primary job is to keep the legs of the rack away from the finish of the bike. They do not carry any load from the rack itself.

That last photo you posted - with the nut on - is ok as long as you tighten the nut against the nut. With that tightened, the geometry of the rack will prevent the bolt from unscrewing itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.