Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just so everyone knows

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just so everyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 10:39 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
And a retrogrouch who says he loves old bikes and puts up pics of a beautiful DeRosa is welcomed. But one who says everyone else is wrong and all their newer bikes are garbage will get some pushback.
Perhaps there are individuals, but as a whole retrogrouches don't tell people they're wrong or call newer bikes garbage. We just like to point out that TDF winners average speed hasn't significantly changed since about the mid-90s, despite all the new high-tech and high-dollar equipment the sponsors are making them ride.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-11-23, 10:45 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Since beng1 admits to having no experience with any bike tech made after 1985, may I suggest that beng1 lacks the perspective to denigrate modern bike tech?
Beng1 is also over on RBR as Benjamin Huffy. Interesting that he has never revealed on BF what he rides. Not that there is anything wrong with older budget bikes if that's what makes you happy and they suit you. While I don't go chasing the latest tech, I don't denigrate those that do either. It appears some just come here to bash high end equipment.
Old 03-11-23, 10:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
TDF winners average speed hasn't significantly changed since about the mid-90s, despite all the new high-tech and high-dollar equipment the sponsors are making them ride.
No conclusion can be drawn from that observation. The TDF course changes every year. Team tactics change from stage to stage.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-11-23, 10:58 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
It's not like I'm a weight-weenie or anything like that but, why would I want to carry around a bunch of extra weight?

Why would I want to be slower &/or make the task at hand less efficient, harder?

Why would I want shifting that is less refined & requires more maintenance or attention?

Pursuant to the questions above: I only own 2 indexed derailleur only bikes. The other 5 are some flavor of IGH or IGH/hybrid or friction shift.

Just so you know, I kick-a$$on all of them...and it's not about being one of them "racer boyz" It's about efficiency, quality engineering, long term reliability, lower maintenance work load. That all coincidentally happens to make life and the activity at hand easier. There is no substitute for nice tools & having the right tool for the job,

I can make a Tourney TX system on a bike with stamped sheet metal brakes sing like a nightingale. It's that skill that powers my business. That POS is still garbage & the daily inflow of recreational or utility cycling customers with broken garbage is what keeps food on my table.

Maybe you can't tell the difference? I really don't understand why appreciating nice things & others being skilled at a particular activity after much application of effort triggers you so.

Do you get mad at dry-wallers? How about painters? Cabinet makers or craftsmen? Do you rail against bar band guitarists owning a Gibson & a tube amp? 'Cause we all know Spanish guitar is way better than than all those enjoying playing traditional acoustic & those weirdos with Tacoma Thunderhawks just are a special class of player throwing their money away, muckin' up the scene! amirite?

Your proclamation contains nothing new.

Last edited by base2; 03-11-23 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-11-23, 11:04 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
I’m an urban cyclist living in a large city. Speed is therefore relative in such an environment. You just get to the next red light before everyone else, and wait. Stop and go just like in a car. The speed cyclists are good for the bicycle business. They are the ones buying the products that could marginally increase their performance. They are the early adopters who pay the big dollars. They just need the open spaces to take advantage of their equipment which doesn’t exist much in urban areas. How about getting bicycle ovals built in urban centers? The Montreal Grand Prix race track is reserved for cyclists when not in use for the event. Perhaps the need for speed crowd should be having discussions in the proper forum rather than the general cycling one. Then again, you can jump over posts that are not relevant to your riding style.
I don't read cycling magazines anymore because of what you described. All the marketing is towards speed and performance when people like me just want a practical way to get around.

That kind of marketing reminds me of car marketing showing families driving through the city center core with no traffic congestion or being able to park right in front of your destination. Romantic for the suckers but unrealistic.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 03-11-23, 11:17 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I don't read cycling magazines anymore because of what you described. All the marketing is towards speed and performance when people like me just want a practical way to get around.

That kind of marketing reminds me of car marketing showing families driving through the city center core with no traffic congestion or being able to park right in front of your destination. Romantic for the suckers but unrealistic.
Correct, the North American bicycle marketing is targeted at performance and speed. Ironically, it’s the same for cars and SUV’s. Really the potential for speed or performance sell’s more then reality.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 03-11-23, 11:23 AM
Jeff Neese

No conclusion can be drawn from that observation. The TDF course changes every year. Team tactics change from stage to stage.
Respectfully disagree. I'm not talking about finish times, I'm talking about average speed across all stages, measured over nearly three decades of "improvements" to the bikes. We absolutely can draw a conclusion from that.

The marketing of bicycles is no different than any other consumer product. The goal is to make you dissatisfied with what you have, and then sell you on the idea that the new products are "better". You need more gears! Our new and improved model has just that - more gears! Oh wait, we have this new thing called 1x drivetrains. You need fewer gears!

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with people buying a new bicycle with the latest technology or features, just because they want it. That's part of the fun and I would be the last person to tell someone they're wrong. I buy stuff all the time just because I want it and can afford it, even if there are no real advantages to what I have now. I think you can say that about a lot of hobbies.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-11-23, 11:28 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Respectfully disagree. I'm not talking about finish times, I'm talking about average speed across all stages, measured over nearly three decades of "improvements" to the bikes. We absolutely can draw a conclusion from that.
No, you really can't draw any conclusions from the overall average TDF speed. There are too many "confounding variables".

Old 03-11-23, 11:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Perhaps there are individuals, but as a whole retrogrouches don't tell people they're wrong or call newer bikes garbage. We just like to point out that TDF winners average speed hasn't significantly changed since about the mid-90s, despite all the new high-tech and high-dollar equipment the sponsors are making them ride.
Oh, this old wheeze. If only it weren't for the sponsors making them ride superbikes, they'd all be on 22# lugged steel with single pivot brakes and DT shifters!

Sure, Jan.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-11-23, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

No, you really can't draw any conclusions from the overall average TDF speed. There are too many "confounding variables".
Like for example they ride a different route every year. Now, you COULD make an argument for comparing winning times on identical stages, or segments, but even there, there's a difference between an HC climb in the middle of a stage and the same HC climb with a mountaintop stage finish.

Old 03-11-23, 11:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
Correct, the North American bicycle marketing is targeted at performance and speed. Ironically, it’s the same for cars and SUV’s. Really the potential for speed or performance sell’s more then reality.
Not really, manufacturers also market bikes to commuters and leisure cyclists too. It's only the race/performance bikes that are marketed for speed/performance.

"Trek hybrid bikes are versatile, easy-riding bikes that will carry you wherever you want to go"
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-11-23, 11:58 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by genejockey
Oh, this old wheeze. If only it weren't for the sponsors making them ride superbikes, they'd all be on 22# lugged steel with single pivot brakes and DT shifters!
I don't know about that, exactly. What were they riding in the mid 90s, when bike technology seems to have plateaued? They certainly weren't 22 pounds, and DT shifters had given way to STI. Even when carbon was introduced, it didn't seem to make a difference to the professional riders, at least not with regard to speed.

And sure, sponsors do make riders use what they want to sell to consumers. Why do you think they sponsor teams to begin with? In some cases (like disk brakes) the riders actively resisted the newer tech, but to no avail. This is what we're marketing, and this is what you'll ride.
Old 03-11-23, 12:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Not really, manufacturers also market bikes to commuters and leisure cyclists too. It's only the race/performance bikes that are marketed for speed/performance.

"Trek hybrid bikes are versatile, easy-riding bikes that will carry you wherever you want to go"
I think it's also a mistake to think consumers have no agency and are simply slaves to marketing. If that were so, Edsel would have become a thriving brand and New Coke would still be around. Sure, halo products help get people in the door, but then they generally buy more mundane products. Hybrid bikes are the best sellers, while Road bikes are the smallest segment, so it's not like everyone's showing up at the stores demanding high end racing bikes.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 12:06 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
I always thought that cycling was about "balance." I have no idea what Internet Forums are about.

Old 03-11-23, 12:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I don't know about that, exactly. What were they riding in the mid 90s, when bike technology seems to have plateaued? They certainly weren't 22 pounds, and DT shifters had given way to STI. Even when carbon was introduced, it didn't seem to make a difference to the professional riders, at least not with regard to speed.

And sure, sponsors do make riders use what they want to sell to consumers. Why do you think they sponsor teams to begin with? In some cases (like disk brakes) the riders actively resisted the newer tech, but to no avail. This is what we're marketing, and this is what you'll ride.
It was only in the mid-90s that a non-steel bike won the TdF. Ergopower brifters were only introduced in 1992. Bikes had 8 speeds, not reaching 9 till 1997. Most of the bikes would still have been around 20#.

And again, the claim that bike technology plateaued is problematic.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 12:16 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I always thought that cycling was about "balance." I have no idea what Internet Forums are about.
This particular one is about killing time until the weather clears. If we can't ride them, we can at least argue over them.
Old 03-11-23, 12:25 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium

As "milestone" posts go (your 3000th) that was pretty dang good.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-11-23, 12:26 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts

and yet i could walk into a bike store right now and buy a steel bike, an aluminum bike, a carbon bike, a bike with a mechanical derailleur on trigger shifters, or brifters, or electronic shifting, or an IGH with a belt, o4 a singlespeed, even a fixie, with prices from $500 to $15000. carbon rims with tubes, or no tubes, or aluminum rims, suspensions or not, motors or not.

the amount of variety for what are “just a hobby” for so many is shocking. anything that there’s profit in, people will make and sell. if, on the other hand, something is relatively expensive to produce in small quantities and the only people who want it spend more time arguing about it on the internet than actually buying it, and would probably complain that it’s too expensive anyway … then yeah, that thing is hard to buy/find.
Old 03-11-23, 12:31 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Like for example they ride a different route every year. Now, you COULD make an argument for comparing winning times on identical stages, or segments, but even there, there's a difference between an HC climb in the middle of a stage and the same HC climb with a mountaintop stage finish.
And even on an identical stage, the time depends heavily on whether a team (or multiple teams) go to the front and establish a fast pace in the flat sections.

Old 03-11-23, 12:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Or, you could look at the spring classics ...

Why has WorldTour racing gotten so fast? An investigation.

Racing now is faster than ever. So how does a cleaner peloton outperform the dark days of the 90s?

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2022/06/...investigation/

Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-11-23, 12:34 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
This particular one is about killing time until the weather clears. If we can't ride them, we can at least argue over them make unfounded statements about them.
ftfy
Old 03-11-23, 12:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Perhaps there are individuals, but as a whole retrogrouches don't tell people they're wrong or call newer bikes garbage.
I'm not denigrating retrogrouches. It was just an example of how someone can enjoy their connection with bicycling without telling those who aren't the same that they are wrong.

I could have used racers, tourists, recumbent riders, mountain bikers, whatever. We've seen it many times. Someone says there is something wrong with those who don't agree with them. That was my point, not that retrogrouches are guilty of this more than anyone else.
Old 03-11-23, 12:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Sometimes these discussions remind me of something my sister said about several cars she and her husband had owned - "Why don't they make them anymore? If they did, we'd buy one!" She said that about the 1974 Dodge Dart her FIL gave them when they got married, and which they owned for probably another 5 years after receiving it in 1978, and similarly about Dodge Lancer that replaced it and which they kept for a number of years after.

The answer is obvious - you can build a niche business around selling nostalgia and retrogrouchness, but you can't build an industry around it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 12:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I would not be against entering a race in my area, but I am interested to see how fast I can go without leaving the zone 2 exertion level, .
You can get free Strava on your phone and easily compare your performance.
Old 03-11-23, 12:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
We just like to point out that TDF winners average speed hasn't significantly changed since about the mid-90s, despite all the new high-tech and high-dollar equipment the sponsors are making them ride.
First, I think this is wrong. But it's mostly meaningless because the TDF is not a 2000 mile TT. The riders are not racing as fast as they can for the whole race.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.