Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's about biking in the wind

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It's about biking in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 05:04 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Winds are like hills, except that they last longer. If you want relief, just turn.
In Holland they say the hills have no summits. Or was it Belgium? I can't remember.
Old 03-16-23, 05:18 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
10 mph is a light breeze out here on the Great Plains.

Today I rode ten miles into a steady 20-25 mph wind, gusting to 40 mph. Then turned around and rode home. That's windy.
Yep. We don't get calm. Keeps the skeeters away.

Just pick between starting into the wind or with the wind. Sometimes, depending on trail/roads conditions...I don't get much of a choice.
Old 03-16-23, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
10 mph is a light breeze out here on the Great Plains.

Today I rode ten miles into a steady 20-25 mph wind, gusting to 40 mph. Then turned around and rode home. That's windy.
One day in WY was horrible. Had a cross headwind that had me leaning to the left. Finally caught up to a couple riding a Bike Friday tandem and did some drafting.

We stayed in the same town that day. (Jeffrey City. Look it up on Google Maps.). Walking up to the town cafe/bar required a serious lean into the wind. The next morning I left at daybreak to beat as much of the afternoon wind as possible.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-16-23, 08:54 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
One day in WY was horrible. Had a cross headwind that had me leaning to the left. Finally caught up to a couple riding a Bike Friday tandem and did some drafting.

We stayed in the same town that day. (Jeffrey City. Look it up on Google Maps.). Walking up to the town cafe/bar required a serious lean into the wind. The next morning I left at daybreak to beat as much of the afternoon wind as possible.

Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-16-23, 08:58 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 848 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Wind in North Dakota? I don't believe you... We have no mountains so we have to have winds like that.
I am sure you have heard this before..do you know why it is so windy in Eastern Montana...cause ND suxs....ok I know don't quit my day job..
Likes For jadmt:
Old 03-16-23, 10:42 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jadmt
I am sure you have heard this before..do you know why it is so windy in Eastern Montana...cause ND suxs....ok I know don't quit my day job..
Sustained 32.5 mph for several miles during the stretch between Dodson and Malta, MT, on the High Line, thanks to a killer tailwind and four large panniers.
Old 03-16-23, 01:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Wind is a crapshoot, so I like to take the headwind when I can. It might always switch at the halfway point, and if you've saved the headwind for the end, you're hosed.
Old 03-16-23, 02:58 PM
jadmt

Sustained 32.5 mph for several miles during the stretch between Dodson and Malta, MT, on the High Line, thanks to a killer tailwind and four large panniers.
it can be pretty brutal up there. Kind of neat country too.
Old 03-16-23, 03:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
Hiway 2, your probably went through my home town of Chinook, MT

good thing that was a tailwind headwind can be brutal

Old 03-16-23, 03:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
oh boy NoDak jokes make the thread

Old 03-16-23, 05:46 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Hiway 2, your probably went through my home town of Chinook, MT
We did I indeed. Alleged mosquito capital of the state. Visited the museum there and watched the video about the Chief Joseph surrender.

The following year I rode Lost Trail/Chief Joseph Passes and spent the night in Wisdom. I’ve ridden passed the battlefield site 4 times during tours but only stopped there once briefly to escape a short hailstorm. By the time I made it to the visitor center at the end of the driveway the hail stopped and the sun came out.
Old 03-16-23, 06:22 PM
indyfabz

it can be pretty brutal up there. Kind of neat country too.
We spent a night in the public park in Harlem. The folks there were nice. Let us use the pool’s shower, and they left the municipal building vestibule doors unlocked at night so we could access the bathrooms. Cops also patrolled at night.

We did have rain and a headwind the day from Wolf Point to Culbertson. Stopped for awhile at a pow wow.
Old 03-16-23, 06:23 PM
jadmt

We did I indeed. Alleged mosquito capital of the state. Visited the museum there and watched the video about the Chief Joseph surrender.

The following year I rode Lost Trail/Chief Joseph Passes and spent the night in Wisdom. I’ve ridden passed the battlefield site 4 times during tours but only stopped there once briefly to escape a short hailstorm. By the time I made it to the visitor center at the end of the driveway the hail stopped and the sun came out.
I can assure you that Wisdom is the mosquito capital of the state....might be the cricket capital too. one time there were so many crickets on the road between wisdom and the battle field we thought we were going to crash from it being so slippery. Have also been on it when they were moving cattle and that was worse. I know a guy who crashed his motorcycle after hitting the cow ****..
Old 03-16-23, 06:28 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by squirtdad
oh boy NoDak jokes make the thread
Oh I have plenty more where that came from lol..I see you are from Chinook so you know plenty too lol.
Old 03-17-23, 01:38 AM
indyfabz

I can assure you that Wisdom is the mosquito capital of the state....might be the cricket capital too. one time there were so many crickets on the road between wisdom and the battle field we thought we were going to crash from it being so slippery. Have also been on it when they were moving cattle and that was worse. I know a guy who crashed his motorcycle after hitting the cow ****..
For sure about the.mosquitoes. The screens at the shelter in the American Legion park were covered with them. One year the GF and I slowed down as we went up a little rise a few miles from town by a cattle ranch. They started landing on us. My GF’s but looked pimpled after we reached the motel. (I knew she wouldn’t want to camp in the park.), We even had to kill a couple in our room. Walking around town in the evening was Impossible.

Last time I was out that way was 2016. Pushed on to Jackson for the night. No real bugs to deal with because it was pretty chilly and very windy.
Old 03-17-23, 07:23 AM
jadmt

For sure about the.mosquitoes. The screens at the shelter in the American Legion park were covered with them. One year the GF and I slowed down as we went up a little rise a few miles from town by a cattle ranch. They started landing on us. My GF’s but looked pimpled after we reached the motel. (I knew she wouldn’t want to camp in the park.), We even had to kill a couple in our room. Walking around town in the evening was Impossible.

Last time I was out that way was 2016. Pushed on to Jackson for the night. No real bugs to deal with because it was pretty chilly and very windy.
buddy and I were at Mosquito lake between Wise river and Wisdom and I looked at him and casually said "I wonder why they call it mosquito lake" he just looked at me and said F you. I said look on the bright side I doubt the bears are dumb enough to hang around here.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 03-17-23, 07:55 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Winds are like hills, except that they last longer. If you want relief, just turn. Ten mph is pretty minor. I don't like winds any more than anyone else. HOWEVER, a headwind has the effect of making me look like Superman(tm), especially if I'm on my lowracer. So I try not to complain. (The guys will ignore me anyway.)
Long stretches of headwind are like climbing a mountain - without the sense of accomplishment or views from the top.

Most of my rides are along a canal path that connects two major bays. Wind from any direction gets funneled into a headwind or tailwind, wind from the east or west comes directly across the bays with no wind breaks and gets funneled into the canal basin & accelerates... 15 miles of headwinds, 15 miles of tailwind - every day, every ride.

Today will be 35mph gusts from the WSW, right down the cut. Pull out of the parking area and bam - smacked in the face.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 03-17-23, 08:31 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
10 days, through the mountains.
Topped out at 12mph down a significant hill, there was a lot of anger issues that day.
At the end of the ride, I was far too tired to act on that anger.
(what was I going to do to the wind? harsh language?)
I remember a tour where my buddy and I were looking forward to a long 5 mile 5% downhill only to hit a headwind that kept our top speeds to around 16 mph. (We were sorely disappointed.) Just a smidge later down in the flats on the same day, the wind changed direction. About the same time we noticed how effortless we were spinning so we we decided to see how fast we could spin. We were able to ride at 28 mph loaded up with gear and enjoyed ticking off the next 20 miles in less than an hour.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 03-17-23, 08:59 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
If a 10mi ride with a wind, I've always tried to realize it's two rides: a ~20min ride out, followed by a ~40min ride back. (But then, I've generally judged my own running and cycling outings by challenge and difficulty, rather than distance. [Some of us are sick puppies, that way ... what can I say?.])

The cool thing is, I still benefit even if the wind's laughing at me. Even if the into-the-wind portion is tougher. Win/win.
Old 03-17-23, 09:48 AM
indyfabz

buddy and I were at Mosquito lake between Wise river and Wisdom and I looked at him and casually said "I wonder why they call it mosquito lake" he just looked at me and said F you. I said look on the bright side I doubt the bears are dumb enough to hang around here.
Been through Wise River but always came over the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway after Big Hole Pass. Last time I climbed Big Hole the wind for the last mile nearly stopped me dead.

Always stayed at Divide Bridge after lunch at the Wise River Club, then on to Melrose and Twin Bridges the next day.
Old 03-18-23, 05:36 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Here in Southern California we get Santa Ana winds , or East winds. They can be brutal.I live in the eastern portion of Ventura County. In the Fall these winds can come up quickly turning a casual ride to the coast and back into a struggle to get home. The dehydration and sinus trouble from blowing dust or sand can break the best of spirits.
Old 03-19-23, 07:19 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
That was today's ride for me. First 70km - long stretches of 31-36km/h average. Second 65km - averages between 25-28km/h depending on how much I was facing directly into the wind. Ouch.
Old 03-20-23, 05:04 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
As a “Fair weather” cyclist, my biking season is just about to begin. I too, like many that have posted to this thread, am not a fan of the wind. I definitely check my weather app before even starting to prep for a ride (my wife calls it “posturing & posing”) and have, on occasion, totally skipped going out for a ride. To me, an 15-18 mph wind will suck any level of fun out of a ride. I’ll agree that the return trip, assuming I’m smart enough to head out into the wind, can be fun but shifting winds have ruined that possibility on numerous occasions. I ride mostly for personal enjoyment but will acknowledge that my rides do allow me to maintain an above average level of fitness. Perhaps I should be glad that I don’t have to deal with the incessant winds of the Central Plains or those along the coastal areas.
Old 03-20-23, 10:22 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by SwtBadger
First thing I check when heading out is wind location. Then head out into it, if route is not fixed for that day.

snip"
Every time I try that, one of two things seems to happen: either the wind changes direction the same time I do (by 180degrees, of course), or it keeps behind me but only moves at the same speed I do, so I spend the whole return leg sweating in a bubble of stagnant air.

At least hills are consistent.
Old 03-21-23, 10:52 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Not a fan of headwinds but like most things, you will run into them at some point. Just have to power on through them for however long they are. I think that's why if I ever do decide to cycle across the USA it will definitely be from west to east. Sure, there will be days of headwinds but probably less than going the opposite direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.