Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about stop signs? [video]

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 04:22 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Do you always do full stops, Idaho stops, or neither?

Drivers where I live almost always do rolling stops

Old 12-30-18, 05:14 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
On streets with light traffic I slow down to an almost stop and then ride through.
Old 12-30-18, 05:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
[left]Do you always do full stops, Idaho stops, or neither?

Drivers where I live almost always do rolling stops
So what?None of the law breakers in the video came close to doing anything unsafe to anyone else in the vicinity. A boring nothing worth whining about... what's next, video of cyclists rolling stop signs that upset the equilibrium of would-be McGruffs?

Old 12-30-18, 05:28 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
They're red and white and fat, like Santa Claus. That's good!
Old 12-30-18, 11:55 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I believe one should always come to a full and complete stop. If warranted by conditions.
Old 12-31-18, 05:57 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I do Idaho Stops; however, if there are any other car(s) at the other points of the intersection, then I come to a complete stop and wave them thru. I think most cyclists believe that Idaho Stop, means you don't have to stop, period. Wrong...Whenever there's a question in the timing of who arrives first, I stop.

I also take the lane when approaching stop signs, that way a car is either directly behind or in front of me, not to the side where I have to worry if they're taking a right or not.

P.S. That dude needs to fix his brakes.
Old 12-31-18, 06:45 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
As a driver, at a four-way stop always come to a complete stop regardless of traffic. I've never been caught for failing to stop but I've seen waaay to many people in my area get nabbed, and I regularly see cops in unmarked cruisers sitting near intersections just to catch people. Not worth the 2 seconds.

As a cyclists it depends on the situation. When there's traffic I behave like a motorist. When there's no traffic and my view of the intersection is unobstructed I not only roll through, it's FSA! I've done this in front of unmarked cruisers a couple of times. They don't bother.

As for drivers who roll through four-way stops, meh They're constantly breaking traffic laws anyway, whether it's speeding, illegal turns, improper lane changes, etc. As long as the behaviour doesn't endanger pedestrians and cyclists I don't care so much.
Old 12-31-18, 08:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
the cars in my area are way more obedient that in your area!
Old 12-31-18, 10:58 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
So what?None of the law breakers in the video came close to doing anything unsafe to anyone else in the vicinity. A boring nothing worth whining about... what's next, video of cyclists rolling stop signs that upset the equilibrium of would-be McGruffs?
And few cyclists come close to doing anything unsafe to anyone else in the vicinity. Yet this is the number 2 complaint we hear from motorists... "those bikers just never stop for stop signs..."

(the number 1 complaint is "those bikers use up the whole road..." )

The OP is just pointing out that cyclists are simply using the stop signs in a manner similar to all other traffic.
Old 12-31-18, 12:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
And few cyclists come close to doing anything unsafe to anyone else in the vicinity. Yet this is the number 2 complaint we hear from motorists... "those bikers just never stop for stop signs..."

(the number 1 complaint is "those bikers use up the whole road..." )

The OP is just pointing out that cyclists are simply using the stop signs in a manner similar to all other traffic.
No the OP isn't pointing out anything about cyclists, other than that some are prone to clueless whining, just like the clueless complaining that you allegedly hear from motorists.
Old 12-31-18, 12:32 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No the OP isn't pointing out anything about cyclists, other than that some are prone to clueless whining, just like the clueless complaining that you allegedly hear from motorists.
I think you missed the point of the video. Maybe I should have been more explicit about it, but most other people seem to get it
Old 12-31-18, 12:35 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
the cars in my area are way more obedient that in your area!
yeah. I moved here one year ago, and drivers ignore stop signs and speed limits a lot more that where I used to live. I think it’s lack of enforcement. We have very few traffic agents
Old 12-31-18, 12:38 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
P.S. That dude needs to fix his brakes.
I completely share your view on stop signs

The noisy breaks are my disc brakes. They break fantastically, but sometimes they do this awful screeching. I don’t really know how to fix disc breaks. This is the first time I have a bike with discs, but I’ll look into it.
Old 12-31-18, 12:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I think you missed the point of the video. Maybe I should have been more explicit about it, but most other people seem to get it
What is "it"?
Get what "point" besides that the cyclist in the video repeatedly whines about drivers' actions at stop signs that aren't in any way endangering himself or anybody else in the vicinity?
Old 12-31-18, 01:06 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
What is "it"?
Get what "point" besides that the cyclist in the video repeatedly whines about drivers' actions at stop signs that aren't in any way endangering himself or anybody else in the vicinity?
No sir... the point is that MOTORISTS, who tend to complain about cyclists running stop signs, are themselves just as guilty, and thus should STFU. (NOTE: the "point" in bold)

But I was pretty explicit about that in my response... outlining motorists' complaint #1 and 2... Which you totally missed, but others got right away.
Old 12-31-18, 01:09 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is "it"?
The point of the video is that cyclists don’t really break traffic rules at a higher rates than other road users. There are many campaigns to deter urban cycling that are based on the myth that cyclists never follow the rules. Many the people that support these campaigns also ignore speed limits or stop signs themselves, but they don’t seem to notice.

Maybe you are confusing my turn signals with whining. Or maybe we watched different videos.

As for not endangering anyone, I disagree with your assessment. Many pedestrians are killed or seriously injured while crossing legally at intersections by drivers who failed to stop. We’ve had about a dozen in my town this year. The whole point of stoping is to make sure no one is about to cross. Just because most (but not all) the drivers in the video got lucky and there was no one crossing, it does not follow that no one was endangered. But even if you disagree with this assessment, this point is completely tangential to the main point of the video.
Old 12-31-18, 01:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Motorists where I live are pretty good about granting right of way at stop signs, and just roll them the rest of the time, especially 4-way stops. I hate making them stop. Seriously. I just wave them though if they get there before me, that way neither one of us has to stop completely. If I get there before them, I make sure to STAND UP on the pedals to communicate that I am GOING.

I would say that of all the dangers I face riding in the city, motorists at stop signs are near the least of my worries. Realize that locals EXPECT cyclists to blow through stop signs, so this is why I wave them through, and they seem happy that I communicated my intention to grant them right of way. For me, this is a non-issue. But I am not easily offended by SEEING people do illegal moves that endanger no one.
Old 12-31-18, 02:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

[left]

The point of the video is that cyclists don’t really break traffic rules at a higher rates than other road users.
Strange way to make a point about whether cyclists do or don't break traffic rules at any specific rate, since all the commentary and "violations" shown were focused on motorist behavior and nothing about cyclist behavior was referenced.

But then I haven't heard what motorists are saying on the subject of cyclists running stop signs on blogs, Facebook or nutty comments to same or wherever genec "hears motorists" discussing bicyclists' behavior.
Old 12-31-18, 02:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Nothing about the video above looks surprising, although I rarely take the feet off the pedals at stop signs.

If nobody is coming, I'll slow down a bit, look both directions, and go.

If a car is coming, but slower than me, I'll slow down a lot, then go.

If a car has the right of way, I'll come to a complete stop, or perhaps slow down enough that they'll be able to go before I get to the stop sign, sometimes waving them on.

I watch what the cars are doing. If they're stopping and waiting for me, then I'll go.

I don't really "track stand", but can get down to a mighty slow pace. If I really want to show my intention to stop, then I'll unclip and put a foot down.

Left turns on red or similar situations when I can't trip the light can be tricky, so I've grown to have little patience for them. Wait until the road is really clear, then go, whether than means simply slowing and looking, or stopping.
Old 12-31-18, 02:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

No sir... the point is that MOTORISTS, who tend to complain about cyclists running stop signs, are themselves just as guilty, and thus should STFU. (NOTE: the "point" in bold)

But I was pretty explicit about that in my response... outlining motorists' complaint #1 and 2... Which you totally missed, but others got right away.
Got it, the OP and you were doing a tag team posting where he posts a video that has one focus - motorist behavior, and you post in post 9 of the thread that the "point" really is all about motorists' alleged complaints about cyclists.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-31-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-31-18, 03:00 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It's weird on here, with Americans at the helm of many topics, because naturally you only consider your own laws.

I can't speak for the majority of the world around the rest of the planet, but here in Britain, cyclists do not have to abide by motor vehicle laws.

Naturally most drivers here don't realise this either, so they'll moan about dash-cam footage despite a cyclist not actually haven broken any laws - other than Darwin's...
Old 12-31-18, 03:05 PM
mcours2006

This is no great revelation. One only has to stand at a four way stop-signed intersection for a minute to witness it. Motorists complain about cyclists running stop signs. Cyclists complain about motorists doing the same thing. So what? Two lefts make a right?
Old 12-31-18, 03:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
As far as "running stop signs" when nobody is around...

A few points... Cyclists tend to have a very good view of stuff around them... if they care to look.

How often do motorists pass cyclists only to slam on the brakes in front of them at the next stop sign? See it a few times on the video above? Talk about RUDE "share the road" behavior.

The most dangerous place for a cyclist to be is in the middle of an intersection. Hitting the intersection with both feet on the pedals and some speed gets the cyclist through the intersection faster, impeding traffic less, and safer (assuming it was clear).

And, of course, we're all just a little bit lazy. Ohhh... those extra decelerations/accelerations.. But, really, they do add up.

Now, don't have anybody complain about a cyclist being too lazy to stop for a clear intersection when the driver is too lazy to get out of their car.

I'm not sure how many serious bike path accidents there are, but my observation is that cyclists are very good at just working it out on the paths.
Old 12-31-18, 03:09 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
It's weird on here, with Americans at the helm of many topics, because naturally you only consider your own laws.

I can't speak for the majority of the world around the rest of the planet, but here in Britain, cyclists do not have to abide by motor vehicle laws.

Naturally most drivers here don't realise this either, so they'll moan about dash-cam footage despite a cyclist not actually haven broken any laws - other than Darwin's...
Our cycling laws are not as progressive as they are in the UK and I doubt that we will ever get to there. In the meantime, though, we have to ride in whatever manner that we deem safest, whether it's rolling through a stop sign or committing some other 'infraction'.
Old 12-31-18, 03:16 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by CliffordK
The most dangerous place for a cyclist to be is in the middle of an intersection. Hitting the intersection with both feet on the pedals and some speed gets the cyclist through the intersection faster, impeding traffic less, and safer (assuming it was clear).
Yep. Most drivers don't even realize it that they approach an intersection and see a cyclist roll through that it actually benefits them. If I saw a car approach a four-way as I am approaching myself and I stop. I'd probably stop long enough to make sure the car stopped as well before proceeding through. The car would have stop, watch me get on both pedals, slowly accelerate through, all the while the driver sits, watches, and curses about that stupid cyclist wasting his time.

https://abc7news.com/traffic/san-fra...c-laws/892465/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.