Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do I feel slow on flat-ish terrain?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do I feel slow on flat-ish terrain?

Old 06-29-22, 03:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
+1. My jaw drops every time I climb & check my wattage... 180w average to roll 30kph on the flat & 400w average when climbing at 15kph. Newton isn't our friend, that's for sure.
When I'm passed on the next rise by people I blew by on the descent, I often mutter "Gravity giveth, and Gravity taketh away. Blest be the name of Gravity".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-29-22, 07:52 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
One of my rides when I'm outside of the city includes an 8 mile climb at a heady 0.5-1%, would chugging up that be considered a 'constant power session?'
That would be sufficient....Better if you get a heart rate monitor and maintain 80 to 85% of your maximum heart rate while climbing that stretch.
Old 06-29-22, 08:36 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by aliasfox
I have trouble with cadences outside of 65-80 (rough estimate). Spinning at or above 90rpm for even a short amount of time has always gotten me winded.
One of the biggest gains in performance I had this year was training for higher cadence. I used to have an average cadence of 80 rpm and has now gone up to 110 rpm.

Perhaps, it's easier for me to spin extra high cadence because of my petite build and little weight but apparently, even pros who weigh a lot more and bigger than me can also spin comfortably at 110 rpm. I'm still training to increase my cadence further. Just looking if I can still improve efficiency beyond 110 rpm. Take it up to 120 or even 130 rpm, observe for a few months if that improves my average speeds on long rides. So far, 110 rpm is currently giving me the best average speeds on long rides.

Your bike fit would actually start to feel different as you get used to higher cadences so you may need to re-visit your bike fit as well.
Old 06-29-22, 11:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Just looking if I can still improve efficiency beyond 110 rpm. Take it up to 120 or even 130 rpm, observe for a few months if that improves my average speeds on long rides.
There’s no way that a cadence over 110 is metabolically efficient. Too much energy is wasted just moving the legs.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-30-22, 08:23 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
There’s no way that a cadence over 110 is metabolically efficient. Too much energy is wasted just moving the legs.
It's actually easy once you get used to it. If I set my trainer to zero resistance and just pedal along at 120 rpm for 10 minutes or more, my heart rate doesn't go any higher than 75 bpm and my breathing doesn't feel elevated at all. It feels literally effortless like I'm doing nothing and just sitting at my chair reading a good book. But that only came after two months of progressive training for increasing cadence rpm.

Pro TT racers will often hold cadence of up to 120 rpm during races.
Old 06-30-22, 08:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
It's actually easy once you get used to it. If I set my trainer to zero resistance and just pedal along at 120 rpm for 10 minutes or more, my heart rate doesn't go any higher than 75 bpm and my breathing doesn't feel elevated at all. It feels literally effortless like I'm doing nothing and just sitting at my chair reading a good book. But that only came after two months of progressive training for increasing cadence rpm.

What happens if you pedal at that rpm with resistance?
Old 06-30-22, 08:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-30-22, 08:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not to mention the heat buildup, at least in some of us.
Old 06-30-22, 10:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

[Cadence of 110 or more is] actually easy once you get used to it.
A high cadence of 100+ may feel "easy", but it is not metabolically or aerobically efficient.

You can't change physics.

Scott et at, The Effect of Cadence on the Mechanics and Energetics of Constant Power Cycling

No, Pro TT racers know that a cadence of 120 is inefficient.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-30-22 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added comment about pro T racers
Old 06-30-22, 11:02 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
So, did 28 miles yesterday, including three laps of Central Park. Didn't have anyone going my pace, so can't comment on that, but have a few other observations:

- I apparently pedal faster in real life than on my mag trainer. The 70-75rpm estimate was based off of that this winter, but I was pretty close to 80rpm most of the time in the real world
- I laid off the gas going uphill (not gasping for breath at the top) for my first two laps, and tried getting on the gas a little earlier/harder after I crested. This resulted in some of the slowest lap times I've recorded this year
- I don't like soft pedaling on the hills
- Went hard on the climbs on my last lap, which actually turned out to be my best one of the day

Don't have a power meter, but using Bike Calculator on segments with consistent grades, I see similar results to eduskator - an estimated 170-180w steady-state performance, and ~300w on hills, depending on pitch and duration. I guess I just assumed everyone else picks up 50-100% wattage when the road goes up. I guess not!
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 06-30-22, 11:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
A high cadence of 100+ may feel "easy", but it is not metabolically or aerobically efficient.

Scott et at, The Effect of Cadence on the Mechanics and Energetics of Constant Power Cycling
I don't disagree, but my suspicion is trained/conditioned cyclists might perform better at self-selected cadence which is typically 80-90. Untrained cyclists are more likely to perform at 60 like the graph shows. I have not done a literature search, though.
Old 06-30-22, 11:56 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by datlas
my suspicion is trained/conditioned cyclists might perform better at self-selected cadence which is typically 80-90.
That article above found that the self-selected cadence was in the low 80s. That's the dotted line in the graph.

Old 06-30-22, 11:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,113 Posts
That article above found that the self-selected cadence was in the low 80s. That's the dotted line in the graph.
Understood. But the population studied are presumably NOT cyclists but normal people. So for a normal person a cadence of 60 may be optimal, but for a trained cyclist I suspect a cadence of 80 may be optimal. Again, that's my guess I have not researched it.
Old 06-30-22, 02:11 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
I have Matthieu van der Poel's data file from his winning ride in this year's Ronde. Here's the distribution of his cadence data:
median: 91 rpm
75th percentile: 98
90th percentile: 102
95th percentile: 104
97.5th percentile: 106
99th percentile: 109
Likes For RChung:
Old 06-30-22, 02:12 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Understood. But the population studied are presumably NOT cyclists but normal people. So for a normal person a cadence of 60 may be optimal, but for a trained cyclist I suspect a cadence of 80 may be optimal. Again, that's my guess I have not researched it.
The study population was "capable but not competitive cyclists."
Likes For RChung:
Old 06-30-22, 04:27 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
I always enjoy studies which help with further info on the biomechanics and physio of cycling. But reasonable studies are best when they are somewhat narrow focused; which is the case in this study.
To further emphasize what @RChung has noted. The study is fairly narrow, with a very small sampling:
"Participants for this study were recruited from the staff and students of The University of Queensland. ... Participants included 14 healthy adults (11 male, 3 female) that were capable but not competitive cyclists. The mean (± SD) age, height, and mass of all participants was 28 ± 5 yr, 178 ± 6 cm, and 76 ± 9 kg, respectively."
so a range of younger riders, weight range of 67kg (147 lbs) to (85kg (187 lbs), level of fitness would also be a consideration. "capable" being a very broad paint brush ...
And so the question is how critical the level of 'efficiency' needed in the study testing...
so power level becomes a Q, - from the study quote:
"The mass-relative power output of the protocol required an average power output of 183 ± 17 W. There was a significant main effect of cadence on net metabolic power (
P < 0.01, n = 12) with the minimal metabolic costs occurring at 60 rpm (Fig. 1). The preferred cadence was 81 ± 12 rpm. The post hoc analysis showed significantly lower metabolic cost at 60 rpm and significantly greater metabolic cost at 100 rpm compared with the preferred cadence."
power requirements noted between 166 and 200 watts - very average levels for some very, very average riding... with a "Preferred Cadence" having a mean of 81, but VARYING from 69 rpm to 93 rpm - a very BROAD range.
if you're shooting to get to a very average level and have a 'preferred cadence' somewhere between 69 and 93 - you're golden and hitting the mark here...
But really THIS, in NO WAY DEFINES any biometric data which helps clarify 'Efficiency' in any regards, at levels which might be considered 'performance' level riding. Given this, how "efficient" are these riders, relative to what might be possible? That isn't researched here (good thing...) nor would it give any reasonable result.
A Study, of 3 or 4x larger sample, of truly defined performance level riders, which also takes into account VO2 and power/weight, might be something to define and use for performance improvement targeting.
This study quantifies and substantiates what we already are fairly clear on, with scores of anecdotal info, here on BF. That's all.
It's not a 'value' judgement on anyone's riding, but telling us where many of us already perform, is not a guideline for improvement.
Ride On
Yuri
I was gonna go deeper into this study - because good info is useful and not easily come by - given the base of this, it's just not interesting enough...
EDIT: and only 12 of the 14 datasets were deemed 'useable' - so even smaller than the initial outline...

Last edited by cyclezen; 06-30-22 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-30-22, 04:35 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

But the population studied are presumably NOT cyclists but normal people. So for a normal person a cadence of 60 may be optimal, but for a trained cyclist I suspect a cadence of 80 may be optimal.
The test group were non-competitive cyclists, and their average preferred cadence was 81.

The study reports something interesting: the preferred 80 cadence was also where the subjects produced maximum power from the vastus lateralis (quadriceps muscle). Max power from the biggest leg muscle -- maybe that's what we naturally select for.

Old 06-30-22, 05:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
All that notwithstanding, whenever I've been doing structured workouts on a trainer in Erg Mode, I generally find it easier to put out higher power at higher cadence - >100 - rather than a lower cadence in the 80s. In the 80s, I find myself bogging down and have difficulty maintaining that power and cadence.

Contrariwise, when I'm doing a longer climb of >6%, I find myself gravitating toward the mid-80s, even if I have gears that allow a higher cadence.

So, there's that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-30-22, 06:13 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

I don't disagree, but my suspicion is trained/conditioned cyclists might perform better at self-selected cadence which is typically 80-90. Untrained cyclists are more likely to perform at 60 like the graph shows. I have not done a literature search, though.
The relationship between cadence and metabolic efficiency has been studied quite a lot. Here are a couple that use "well-trained" cyclists as the subjects.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3218268/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20386335/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19229554/
Likes For RChung:
Old 06-30-22, 09:05 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by RChung
The relationship between cadence and metabolic efficiency has been studied quite a lot. Here are a couple that use "well-trained" cyclists as the subjects.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3218268/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20386335/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19229554/
thanks for this! really interesting stuff which will promote a bunch of re-reading. LOL!
they bring more questions... not in the focus of these studies...
but that's all beyond this OP/topic.
... but I will throw out on question regarding method in Leirdal - Ettema. 2 sessions, #1 was an incremental to exhaustion (see study) and #2 was 8 5min segments at 80% VO2 (75% actual).
, since the base comparison is from FCC, neither of these methods are showing Gross Work done (VO2 is not directly 'work'). and the 8 segments of 5 min method is not fully explained, and I'm not seeing a separation of data from the 2 methods...
anyway... I'll spend more time reviewing Stig Leirdal - Ettema
Thanks
Yuri
Old 07-01-22, 07:17 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Time Trial training articles commonly suggest training to spin at >100 rpm

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-s...Faster-Cycling
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fit...er-time-trial/
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/5...time-trialing/

Just a few examples. In my experience, high rpm cadence training helps to develop more efficient pedaling technique and more efficient muscle engagement at high rpms.

Don't fight the mass of your legs but rather use its momentum to carry the legs around the pedal stroke like a flywheel effortlessly.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-01-22 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-01-22, 07:23 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I don't think you know what you're talking about.
I don't think you know that I know what I'm talking about.
Old 07-01-22, 09:08 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Time Trial training articles commonly suggest training to spin at >100 rpm.
I think the idea behind the high cadence drills is to allow for the bursts of power needed during a race course.

A summary comment from Stephen Chung :

In the end, it appears that you can be fairly similar in efficiency and performance between the range of 80 – 100 rpm, so a higher cadence may not be as big a deal as it seems.
S. Chung, Optimal Cadence: What’s Right For You?, 2005-02-07

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-01-22 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Corrected attribution and link
Old 07-01-22, 10:01 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Ok, so lets pick >your< best current level - doing any kind of ride... TT, hill climb, rolling loop...
And you want to 'improve'...
you accept that the studies above are accurate an applicable to you... and that the most 'efficient' cadence is somewhere around 60 rpm ish....
how are YOU going to 'improve' ???
there really are only 2 things, improve power and improve efficiency - efficiency comes from 3 factors, aero, mechanical, and 'motor' - mechanical is very minimal which includes all aspects of the 'machine/bike' (tires, drivetrain, overall weight, etc...) , aero - again somewhat equipment, somewhat ride/position, a lot of the environment (flat road vs steep hill, head vs tail wind, etc...)
...finally - the efficiency of the 'engine/motor' - can this be improved? - let's leave that for the moment...
Back to improve engine/motor 'POWER' - if you accept 'efficiency is already predefined at somewhere round 60 ish rpm - what and how do you improve the only other option open, your power?
will it be enough? you're already 35-40 yrs old (or older...) , and not as 'powerful as you were 10 yrs ago... you have many constraints on your time/ability to maximize your 'power improvement' - what's left to do to improve?
here's a great video on results of doing ONLY power based work for a period of time and the result of it, eliminating any possible change in 'motor efficiency'
- whoop commercial aside...
increased power enough to 'improve' actual riding over time?
... back to 'efficiency'
if you accept that 'efficiency' is within the studies' observed bounds, can there be substantial/substantive efficiency improvement? or are you limited?
OR
is YOUR engine/motor efficiency not yet at it's optimum? (not observed in ANY of the studies...)
if there's an opportunity to 'improve' your efficiency, what can/will you do to improve or define your 'efficiency' and it's limits?

Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-01-22, 10:17 AM
koala logs
Banned.

A summary comment from RChung :

In the end, it appears that you can be fairly similar in efficiency and performance between the range of 80 – 100 rpm, so a higher cadence may not be as big a deal as it seems.

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-s...Faster-Cycling

If efficiency between 80 to 100 rpm is similar, that is a good thing for high rpm cadence.

Because higher rpm's favor better resilience against muscle fatigue but only if you are well trained for spinning at high cadence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.