Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no s

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no s

Old 08-11-22, 07:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Around here we arent legally allowed on roads marked over 50mph. Wouldn't want to tbh.
In my state, I actually feel safer on a 55 mph road with broad, well-paved shoulders than I do on winding 2 lane roads with rolling hills and much lower speed limits. Those never have shoulders, and there's nowhere in the lane where I feel confident that a car coming around a bend or cresting a hill will be able to see me until it's too late. I also don't find people pay that much attention to the speed limits on such roads.

I've always believed that our knowledge of our local conditions is our best defensive asset, which is why I end up in a lot of arguments with people who want to lay down universal "rules".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-11-22, 07:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rsbob
Ever notice how people with the strongest opinions (like against Varia radar, or whatever) are the ones with no direct first hand experience?

scary.

No, I haven't noticed anyone arguing against Varia.

I have noticed that people such as yourself take someone saying that they don't use something as an argument against using something (which it's not), so yes, I have noticed that people who say that they don't use something often don't have direct experience with something.
Old 08-11-22, 08:17 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I use a varia and like it on my upright but the beep isn't loud enough on my recumbent due to much higher speed and further distance to my ear. The Varia battery life is also too short but overall, it is a good safety adjunct

Varia with the Italian Mirror on the barend and there are no surprises. If a car passes me without me knowing and verifying they have moved over, I was asleep at the switch
Old 08-11-22, 08:58 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
You're oversimplifying it. Let's say there's sporadic parked cars all along the shoulder. It would be foolish to duck in between them for short distances because every time you pop back out to go around them, you are appearing out of thin air. Or the shoulders with drainage grates which could swallow a road bike tire. Shoulders that stop and start frequently with those deep rumble strips between them and the traffic lane (June Lake Loop is/was a wonderful example).
Maybe you are over complicating it?

None of those situations exist on the shoulders of the roads I ride. People don't park their cars on the shoulder, we don't have drainage grates on the shoulder and we don't have shoulders that stop and start frequently with rumble strips.

This is what the majority of roads looks like that I ride near my house. With the exception that some of the roads that have been re-paved in recent years the shoulders have been made wider than what is shown here or some other county back roads (very little to no traffic) that don't have a marked shoulder but are wide enough for both car and bike traffic.

Last edited by prj71; 08-11-22 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-11-22, 09:50 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by prj71

None of those situations exist on the shoulders of the roads I ride. People don't park their cars on the shoulder, we don't have drainage grates on the shoulder and we don't have shoulders that stop and start frequently with rumble strips.

This is what the majority of roads looks like that I ride near my house. With the exception that some of the roads that have been re-paved in recent years the shoulders have been made wider than what is shown here or some other county back roads (very little to no traffic) that don't have a marked shoulder but are wide enough for both car and bike traffic.

Almost none of my roads look like that.

Mine have 3 foot drainage ditches on either side. Broken and irregular chip seal everywhere. No lines. But also very low traffic volumen

If it is a busier road, there will be a center yellow line but the white fogline is right at the edge of the pavement. Riding at the edge and you compete with mailboxes, bushes, and tree branches. It really isn't simple to compare one states roads to another
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-11-22, 09:58 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Almost none of my roads look like that.

Mine have 3 foot drainage ditches on either side. Broken and irregular chip seal everywhere. No lines. But also very low traffic volumen

If it is a busier road, there will be a center yellow line but the white fogline is right at the edge of the pavement. Riding at the edge and you compete with mailboxes, bushes, and tree branches. It really isn't simple to compare one states roads to another
Wow that's crazy. I live in a rural area in a town of about 10,000 people. Even the town of 100k+ about 20 miles south of me...the roads are like that if you get out of the city limits.
Old 08-11-22, 10:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Wow that's crazy. I live in a rural area in a town of about 10,000 people. Even the town of 100k+ about 20 miles south of me...the roads are like that if you get out of the city limits.

Just to give you some idea of how much these kind of roads vary, some of them in my state would actually have bigger shoulders than that, while others have little or no shoulder at all, and certainly nothing useable. The white line is often the point at which the crumbling pavement starts.

Every road presents its own case, general rules need not apply.
Old 08-11-22, 10:27 AM
GhostRider62

I just did 209 mile ride in New York on very popular cycling roads

Nothing but broken pavement patched over a million times with terribly inconsistent shoulders with huge potholes everywhere and traffic buzzing by at 50-70 mph.

Ride the TransAm thru Kanas. The small shoulder is obliterated by rumble strips, forcing you out into 70-90 mph traffic although the limit is 70 mph, they freakin fly.
Old 08-11-22, 10:59 AM
prj71

Sounds like my state might take care of it's road systems a bit better is the vibe I'm getting here. Not that we don't have broken pavement, patches and pot holes in some areas, but for the most part a very high percentage of the roads are in great shape for riding. Even the gravel roads are nice with the right bike and right tires.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-11-22, 11:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts

Let me get this straight. You're on this thread telling others how to ride on the roads they ride based on the roads you ride? If you can't see the narcissism and inherent flaw in that, then there's no point in continuing with you.

Edit: reading your comments later in the thread, I may be wrong and you did see the flaw in your logic.
Old 08-11-22, 01:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Best practices when there is no shoulder?

- If you can, avoid riding during rush hours since you may create backups and pissed off drivers wanting to take it out on you.
- Ride so that overtaking vehicles are forced to cross the center line to pass. They do this for garbage trucks, tractors and postal vehicles so they can do the same for you.
- Ride predictably. Don’t dart in and out of parked vehicles but stay seen and use hand gestures to signal your intent, like turning.
- Never ride opposing traffic. This is illegal in most jurisdictions since bikes are considered vehicles. the likelihood of being taken out by someone turning right and not looking left (since your not supposed to be there) goes up exponentially.

I will keep to the far right to let cars easily pass when there is no opposing traffic. But when there is, I don’t want to get squeezed so I take the right tire track of the vehicles.

there’s a whole thread on this already: https://www.bikeforums.net/vehicular...r-cycling.html

Last edited by rsbob; 08-11-22 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-11-22, 02:45 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Let me get this straight. You're on this thread telling others how to ride on the roads they ride based on the roads you ride? If you can't see the narcissism and inherent flaw in that, then there's no point in continuing with you.

Edit: reading your comments later in the thread, I may be wrong and you did see the flaw in your logic.
I travel all over the midwest and used to live in MI and I make a trek west every year (WY, CO, MT area) fishing and I see roads like the ones near my house all the time and people biking on them. Guess I thought that was typical in most places other than highly populated city areas.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-11-22, 04:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I travel all over the midwest and used to live in MI and I make a trek west every year (WY, CO, MT area) fishing and I see roads like the ones near my house all the time and people biking on them. Guess I thought that was typical in most places other than highly populated city areas.
Sounds like I need to do some riding in MI, WY, CO, or MT.
Old 08-12-22, 06:29 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Those shoulders photo are too thin for me to comfortably ride.
I would not ride those roads personally
Old 08-12-22, 06:45 AM
GhostRider62

95% of my roads are like this or narrower and bumpier. The edges are broken because if two vehicles pass, both need to put the right wheel onto the edge of the road or over it. But, volume is very low. Ditch on either side for rain water to flow.

Old 08-12-22, 07:20 AM
prj71

Damn. That's narrow. We don't have anything around here like that unless it's a gravel road.
Old 08-12-22, 07:38 AM
GhostRider62

Damn. That's narrow. We don't have anything around here like that unless it's a gravel road.
It was 34 minutes into yesterday's ride before I saw a car.

Usually only weekends or when kids getting picked up from school might a car from rear and front happen at the same time. I will take the lane but it only takes 2-3 feet from the broken edge. On a fast descent? I take the lane. I would say my speed is probably higher than a car anyway.

i guess my original thought was it is very hard to generalize about roads and the least risky way to ride them. I'd love to have your roads.

I am sure there is an analysis out there somewhere but traffic volume has to be a large risk factor. I feel perfectly safe riding on a 8-12 foot breakdown lane on an interstate IF there are rumble strips and it is out west like wyoming, az, colorado, etc. Back East? No way. Would I voluntarily chose such a road? No. But sometimes, such roads get chosen for you on established routes or rides.
Old 08-12-22, 09:28 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
It was 34 minutes into yesterday's ride before I saw a car.

Usually only weekends or when kids getting picked up from school might a car from rear and front happen at the same time. I will take the lane but it only takes 2-3 feet from the broken edge. On a fast descent? I take the lane. I would say my speed is probably higher than a car anyway.

i guess my original thought was it is very hard to generalize about roads and the least risky way to ride them. I'd love to have your roads.

I am sure there is an analysis out there somewhere but traffic volume has to be a large risk factor. I feel perfectly safe riding on a 8-12 foot breakdown lane on an interstate IF there are rumble strips and it is out west like wyoming, az, colorado, etc. Back East? No way. Would I voluntarily chose such a road? No. But sometimes, such roads get chosen for you on established routes or rides.
So it sounds like very few cars use this road. Why not make it a car-free zone? Parents can pick up their kids by bike.
Old 08-12-22, 10:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
So it sounds like very few cars use this road. Why not make it a car-free zone? Parents can pick up their kids by bike.
I take it you've never lived in a rural area. Literally, about the dumbest suggestion ever.
Old 08-12-22, 02:10 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Those shoulders photo are too thin for me to comfortably ride.
I would not ride those roads personally
The one prj71 posted? They're definitely narrower than I prefer, but as long as I can get my entire self on the right side, I'd feel pretty confident that any driver who can stay in their own lane can avoid touching me.
Old 08-12-22, 02:57 PM
GhostRider62

How would farmers get to the fields? Residents have to go to work in the morning and come home, too.

I doubt 1 in a 100 parents or children would be able to ride the average 5 miles and 300-400 vertical feet.

It would be nice in an alternative Universe So, that is my response to your question.
Old 08-12-22, 05:27 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
How would farmers get to the fields? Residents have to go to work in the morning and come home, too.

I doubt 1 in a 100 parents or children would be able to ride the average 5 miles and 300-400 vertical feet.

It would be nice in an alternative Universe So, that is my response to your question.
Aren't you the one describing how few cars were on this road? And it sounds like it's also too narrow for the few cars who do use it.

So in the spirit of motorists who criticize bike lanes that have so few cyclists on them, we can make that narrow road more safe for users who can use them.
Old 08-12-22, 07:15 PM
GhostRider62

Aren't you the one describing how few cars were on this road? And it sounds like it's also too narrow for the few cars who do use it.

So in the spirit of motorists who criticize bike lanes that have so few cyclists on them, we can make that narrow road more safe for users who can use them.
Let me know when you plan to widen them.

I'd love it if the washed out bridges from a year ago could be replaced. Or potholes fixed.

I'm not calling for anything, I am merely saying in this thread that it is impossible for a one size fits all approach to minimizing one's risk on a bike. Closing a road for just cyclists is stupid. Yes, stupid. Cyclists have to pick their roads carefully and use tactics appropriate to those roads.
Old 08-13-22, 03:09 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Rode my cheap $300 Giant in Montreal. Loved the bike lanes. It's legit transport, not spiderman speedo time.
Rode in jeans and boxers. No problem. Also rode directly in traffic, when needed. City traffic is slower, so it feels safer to take up a lane.

Last edited by CheGiantForLife; 08-13-22 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-13-22, 08:22 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Whenever I hear someone say that they "feel" safer riding salmon, I ask them how many collisions they have had.

The answer is invariably non-zero.

Ride where drivers are looking, be predictable, & command their attention.
The only cyclist I ever collided with was riding salmon. I had near miss with another salmon rider. It both happened in a blind corner.

Makes me fear blind corners due to these morons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.