Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question on spoke length calculation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 02:09 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I want to put a hub dynamo in one of my wheels. The hub dynamo is a Shimano DH-3D37 which has a 3.6mm offset. The rim is a Velocity Dyad 406 (20"). According to a tire spoke calculator the difference in spoke length between left and right side is about 1.1mm.
167.3mm on the left and 168.4mm on the right side. I think with this small of a delta I can order the same length spoke for both sides. I was thinking about 168.0mm for each side. That should give me enough room on either side. Any concerns here doing that?
Below is also a photo from the calculator out put which can be found here:
https://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/
Thanks

Old 08-29-22, 08:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I'd 168 on both.
You have a double wall rim, so you don't have concerns about a spoke being so long it protrudes into the rim strip.
.4mm short is only .016".
If using thinner spokes, they may stretch a "couple/few" extra .1mm.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-29-22, 10:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I second Bill's suggestion to split the difference and use the same spoke for both sides, but with one caveat.

I don't know if you measured the ERD, or pulled it from a spec sheet, but that is the most critical dimension. Most of the calculators will bring the end of the spoke out to the ERD entered. If the thickness of the nipple head isn't allowed for, that means that the spoke will end at the BOTTOM of the nipple head, not 0-1mm shy of the top.

My advice is to measure the ERD yourself, either allowing for the nipple heads, or if measuring from the nipple seat add 2-3mm (according to rounding) to the calculated length.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-30-22, 08:50 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I second Bill's suggestion to split the difference and use the same spoke for both sides, but with one caveat.

I don't know if you measured the ERD, or pulled it from a spec sheet, but that is the most critical dimension. Most of the calculators will bring the end of the spoke out to the ERD entered. If the thickness of the nipple head isn't allowed for, that means that the spoke will end at the BOTTOM of the nipple head, not 0-1mm shy of the top.

My advice is to measure the ERD yourself, either allowing for the nipple heads, or if measuring from the nipple seat add 2-3mm (according to rounding) to the calculated length.
Yes I pulled the ERD from the spec sheet in the tool and from the manufacturers web site. I can't measure it right now since the wheel is currently used in my bike. I wanted to order the new spokes and hub dynamo before I take it apart. But I am not concerned since this is a double walled rim. So even if the spokes protrude beyond the nipple head I should be fine. According to the drawing on the manufacturers web site there is about 8mm room between the two walls.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-406
Old 08-30-22, 09:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts

A knowledgeable, straight talking poster on BF? Welcome back!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-30-22, 09:50 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 140 Posts

Francis: I followed you for years when I was just lurking. Your responses were always a breath of fresh air in the dank environs that this place sometimes is. I literally am honored to be able to have even this little correspondence with you. And after 50 years of searching for the holy grail of chain lubes, I have settled on chain-l, the stuff works well. So thanks for that.
kindest regards
Larry
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 08-30-22, 10:18 AM
byscott

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Not to introduce any more confusion or controversy, but I usually use spoke nipple washers with a no-eyelet rim like a Dyad. Washers add about 1mm to the required spoke length. Based on the Freespoke numbers, and using washers, I would probably go with 168 on the left and 170 on the right. And the washers are probably overkill anyway. But that’s just me.

And — based on 40-odd years of wheel building — I strongly agree that there’s no substitute for measuring the ERD yourself. Roger Musson (wheelpro.co.uk) has a good template for doing this using a printed scale and a couple of junk spokes cut to length.
Old 08-30-22, 10:47 AM
Johnathonbenfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm new to this, but what does this have to do? I mean why simply not procure them as they are.
Old 08-30-22, 10:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
While some Al rims of an aero shape have their special spoke "washers" most all other rims have a flat enough spoke bed to allow the nipple to seat well. Most of these rims are made with a thick enough spoke bed to not need the stress relieving aspect of a nipple washer. I consider the Dyad to be one of these rims not needing a washer for structural reasons (can't say I have ever seen a cracked Dyad rim). BUT using a washer as a low friction device (a thrust washer of sorts) is not a bad choice. Al rims with no eyelet will have more friction/grip on the nipples. So when tensioning up the spokes some of the effort to turn nipples is from this friction. This added friction can mislead the truer/builder in thinking that the spokes are reaching a good tension level, when the spokes are still lower in tension then ideal.

I also agree with the others who welcome back Francis. He has greater patients and tolerance for those who post than I do. Although I think we share the same goals in trying to help them. Andy
Old 08-30-22, 10:57 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnathonbenfie
I'm new to this, but what does this have to do? I mean why simply not procure them as they are.
Can you rephrase your question? Whay does "this" and "them" reefer to? Andy
Old 08-30-22, 11:08 AM
byscott

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
While some Al rims of an aero shape have their special spoke "washers" most all other rims have a flat enough spoke bed to allow the nipple to seat well. Most of these rims are made with a thick enough spoke bed to not need the stress relieving aspect of a nipple washer. I consider the Dyad to be one of these rims not needing a washer for structural reasons (can't say I have ever seen a cracked Dyad rim). BUT using a washer as a low friction device (a thrust washer of sorts) is not a bad choice. Al rims with no eyelet will have more friction/grip on the nipples. So when tensioning up the spokes some of the effort to turn nipples is from this friction. This added friction can mislead the truer/builder in thinking that the spokes are reaching a good tension level, when the spokes are still lower in tension then ideal.

I also agree with the others who welcome back Francis. He has greater patients and tolerance for those who post than I do. Although I think we share the same goals in trying to help them. Andy
Good point, and I should have been more clear … I generally use the washer in an attempt to reduce friction. I agree that the Dyad has plenty of thickness in the spoke bed and I’ve never seen a cracked Dyad either.
Old 08-30-22, 02:46 PM
Harhir

Thanks everyone with the idea to use washers to reduce friction. I have never used them so far but it makes total sense to me. So far I have built less than 10 wheels and my experience is limited. My biggest concern is always to get the best tension. I do have the park tool tension meter but this tool does not really work on small wheels with double cross pattern.