Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When a new route is JUST beyond comfort zone

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When a new route is JUST beyond comfort zone

Old 08-30-22, 08:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Dude ... you are single-handedly keeping his threads alive.
BS.

And seriously, you're not the guy I'd turn to for advice on social niceties.
Old 08-30-22, 10:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I was complimenting you.
Old 08-30-22, 10:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by dedhed

Exactly! He's doing this "blogging" in 2 inappropriate forums.
Old 08-30-22, 03:09 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
why not just use the ignore function.....
I have the person in question on ignore, unfortunately the ignore function doesn't hide their posts on the thread level, only within the threads. As a result, I see all of his threads, when I do not want to see his threads. They are inane and serve no purpose except to irritate people and amuse the OP. And yes, when I see he is the thread starter, I generally do not click on the thread, but once in a while I fail see who started it ,and click accidentally. I wish the ignore function would not show any threads started by those on the ignore list.
Old 08-30-22, 05:10 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
I started this thread to discuss how others have experienced a new route is JUST beyond comfort zone. Did they keep attacking it, did they avoid it, etc. What was the nature of this route? etc
Grown adults throwing a hissy fit at other people discussing their rides is embarrassing.
Old 08-30-22, 05:21 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Htfu
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 08-30-22, 05:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,353 Times in 7,191 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I started this thread to discuss how others have experienced a new route is JUST beyond comfort zone. Did they keep attacking it, did they avoid it, etc. What was the nature of this route? etc
Grown adults throwing a hissy fit at other people discussing their rides is embarrassing.

...this is not hard. Get rid of that old truck battery on your rack. You'll make it up the hill more easily, and you'll have more room for groceries.
Old 08-30-22, 05:27 PM
Quesnel

Bikes: Norco Storm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
No way, no how am I doing a grocery store run on a bike. Nope, not gonna do it.
I get followed around when I go in with my nap sack...It's kind of amusing...
Old 08-30-22, 05:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
why not just use the ignore function.....
That would ruin his pass time. I used it on him months ago but unfortunately there is no way to not see quotes.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-30-22 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-30-22, 05:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Grasshopper, we progress when faced by challenges. All will be revealed by your fifth ride as long as you do it within a week, or a week and a half(cutting you some slack)
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-30-22, 06:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
And a supposedly grown adult, with elite HIIT training, that feels the need to discuss the hardships of 5 mile round-trip ride *isn't* embarrassing?

Cool.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-30-22, 08:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
And a supposedly grown adult, with elite HIIT training, that feels the need to discuss the hardships of 5 mile round-trip ride *isn't* embarrassing?

Cool.
You’re forgetting that the 5 mile ride involves carrying a golf club. Or was that a 5 minute ride?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-30-22, 08:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Quesnel
I get followed around when I go in with my nap sack...It's kind of amusing...
Try using a knapsack.
Old 08-30-22, 08:28 PM
Quesnel

Bikes: Norco Storm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try using a knapsack.
Thanks. But I like my nap sack. For some reason my auto correct likes it better, too

Last edited by Quesnel; 08-30-22 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-31-22, 04:33 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Quesnel
Thanks. But I like my nap sack. For some reason my auto correct likes it better, too
Your device must have hydraulic disc brakes.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-31-22, 04:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

BS, pretty much every sentence in your op starts with "I" and there isn't a single mention of anyone else or a question. And this is pretty much the same post as the one hill thread and a bunch of others.

What's embarrassing is your childish need for attention for every little thing you do.

You want your op to be taken seriously? Fine, if what you're trying to do is build up endurance, quit fixating on routes and routines, your claims of HIIT are laughable on the short loops you're doing. HIIT is useful when done in conjunction with other forms of cardio, it's not a magic method of building fitness in a few minutes. Try incorporating your hills into much longer rides and actually push yourself to make a serious effort on the flat parts. I don't know what a "vanity ride" is supposed to be, the concept makes no sense. You want to be able to ride hard for more than a few minutes before being exhausted? There's no substitute for increasing the amount of time you spend riding hard. Right now, you've decided that you can only make a serious effort on hills and it's a misconception that's holding you back.

Now go ahead and make one of your stupid accusations that I don't know anything about riding bikes and that your misconceptions are "basic knowledge".

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-31-22 at 05:13 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-31-22, 06:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Actually, OP is by far the smartest person in the thread (well, maybe not, now that I am here .... )

OP wants tons of attention and posts utter nonsense ... and get tons of attention. So he posts tons of nonsense, over and over.

The dogs all snarl snarkily about how dumb Pavlov is, but they all salivate when he rings the bell.

I enjoy all this .... no reason to take any of it seriously ... and I suspect, whether they admit it or not, even the loudest detractors like it as well.

It just makes sense .... people would have to be pretty dumb to keep posting in threads if it hurt them .... so one has to figure, it pleases them.

@CheGiantForLife and his batteries and golf clubs and other inanities has added a great deal to this site. I don't take him seriously, but i seriously value the responses he stimulates.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-31-22, 06:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Actually, OP is by far the smartest person in the thread (well, maybe not, now that I am here .... )

OP wants tons of attention and posts utter nonsense ... and get tons of attention. So he posts tons of nonsense, over and over.

The dogs all snarl snarkily about how dumb Pavlov is, but they all salivate when he rings the bell.

I enjoy all this .... no reason to take any of it seriously ... and I suspect, whether they admit it or not, even the loudest detractors like it as well.

It just makes sense .... people would have to be pretty dumb to keep posting in threads if it hurt them .... so one has to figure, it pleases them.

@CheGiantForLife and his batteries and golf clubs and other inanities has added a great deal to this site. I don't take him seriously, but i seriously value the responses he stimulates.
What's fun about you is how you alternate between overlong posts telling people exactly what they're doing is wrong and why their posts annoy you and then variations of this exact same post.
Old 08-31-22, 07:20 AM
Maelochs

Just doing my part .... if people weren't posting stuff which prompted you peeved responses, what would you do all day?

And really, that is my point here ... you keep posting and complaining about how these threads persist. Hint: they persist because people keep posting.

By the way, whenever I find it hard to explain the concept of "irony" I can always point to posts where people tell other people not to tell other people what to post.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-31-22, 08:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
You know what they say, "only a good guy with a troll posts can stop a bad guy with a troll posts."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-31-22, 08:25 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts

[size=13px]

[/size]

In your original post you say you did a 5-mile round trip in 30 minutes (that's 10 mph), went UPHILL both ways, and that wore you out. Unless there's a condition you're not mentioning that sounds absurd to the point I'm not surprised posters are berating you.
Old 08-31-22, 09:32 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
went UPHILL both ways....
Obviously the OP is re-tracing my route to school, from when I was a kid. He forgot to mention there was waist-deep snow the whole trip.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-31-22, 12:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
nice thing about hills, is, the more we ride them, the better we get at riding them
Old 08-31-22, 04:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Rode my bike to the grocery store today.
I'm getting much more comfortable at red lights being in traffic. Feels normal already.
Even found a dead end route where I bypass a blocker guard rail to avoid the nastiest part of traffic.

5 miles round trip. 15 mins. each way. Perfect

BUT.......there are two different 12% hills (peak).
One stretch is .2 miles and it kicked my ass.
One the return trip there is a .6 mile hill (12% max)

I even had to stand up and pedal for a bit.
Killer workout.
A bit too killer.

I like it, but it was past the threshold of pleasant challenge.
It was a legit workout ride. I will now veg for the rest of the afternoon, spent.
But, it's hard to blend that with running an errand (vanity ride)
I need to find a way to moderate this, so I keep doing it, and not quit.

I quit!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-31-22, 07:02 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
In your original post you say you did a 5-mile round trip in 30 minutes (that's 10 mph), went UPHILL both ways, and that wore you out. Unless there's a condition you're not mentioning that sounds absurd to the point I'm not surprised posters are berating you.

The route is a steep U-shape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.