Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Top Left "Bike Forums" logo

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 09:41 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26390 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I've asked tech to roll back the change until we add the opt-out option in the User CP. I'll provide detailed instructions on how to turn it off when we roll it back out.

Did anyone use the hamburger menu for navigation? It contained links to essentially all forums, which would then display in the regular fashion.
...yes, I used it. I like to think that even in my 70's, I am capable of adapting to small changes in my life without complaint. In keeping with this, I usually tack on," ...but you know I'm not one to complain," to all my complaints.
Old 10-20-22, 09:43 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26390 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts
...if it matters, I'm on a desktop when I visit this forum.
Old 10-20-22, 09:45 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I've asked tech to roll back the change until we add the opt-out option in the User CP.

Thank you, it's very much appreciated !

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-20-22, 09:49 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Thank you, it's very much appreciated !

Barry
I also want to add that I'm looking into why all the trending posts were from 2018.
What I know of the algorithm is that it takes into account multiple datapoints to determine which threads to display.
  • Number of posts
  • Most recent post
  • Posts within X-time frame
  • Thread creation date (typically no more than 1 week old)
  • Others I don't know
My hypothesis is that with little other data to pull upon rollout, it gave extra weight to the first 2 points.
Old 10-20-22, 09:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I wanted to confirm you were on mobile only?

No, I saw the left side menu on the desktop as well as the hamburger on the mobile. Both of them aren't as good as the current setup. Far less info available at a glance.
Old 10-20-22, 10:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I also want to add that I'm looking into why all the trending posts were from 2018.
What I know of the algorithm is that it takes into account multiple datapoints to determine which threads to display.
  • Number of posts
  • Most recent post
  • Posts within X-time frame
  • Thread creation date (typically no more than 1 week old)
  • Others I don't know
My hypothesis is that with little other data to pull upon rollout, it gave extra weight to the first 2 points.

Maybe the posts within a time frame was the one out of whack. As I recall, the first 6 threads were recent, but everything after that was from 2018, number 7 being a thread with about 100 posts that was closed by a moderator in July of 2018. Looking back on it, it appears that the thread got the 100 posts in less than 3 full days. The thread in question: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ndle-dogs.html
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-22, 11:03 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by hazetguy
You had received some feedback about concerns regarding the main page, to which you replied:

I simply pointed out that "other sites" owned by IB did not have the changes implemented here (maybe they are headed that direction?), gave examples, so was interested where is this data coming from that determined the changes here were beneficial to site operation and or ease of use.

Never said you used the same format as FlyerTalk. It was an example to show how another IB site was better organized.
As I mentioned, the only other IB site that looks anything like what was happening here was the Fodor's site. It was an example of layout similarities when compared to the change that happened here.
So what if they "look 25 years old"? Change for change's sake is not always the best way to go. I think the multiple threads and not-positive user feedbacks about the recent change here might be an indication that many users are fine with the way things are set up.
Out of curiosity, will you please provide a link to a "modern forum" that BF is trying to emulate? I am genuinely interested in seeing which direction the tech and behind the scenes people think BF needs to be heading.

Thank you for the rollback. To me, it makes the site much more user friendly.

Yes, I used the 'hamburger' menu for navigation. Again, I'll say it is/was cumbersome on both desktop and iPad (I gave up using my iPhone to access BF). The page rapidly filled up when the dropdowns were opened. You could not, for example, click on the main Bike Forums, Racer's Forum, The Lounge, etc category hamburger link and get to the "Bike Forum" discussion subforum. You would have to further click on a subcategory (like Bike Mechanics in the Bike Forum forum section, for example), to actually get into the "Bike Forum" subcategory. And if you clicked 'back', you would not get to the general subforum, you would be taken back to the main 'trending' page, where you'd have to go through the whole process again to get to another subforum or subcategory. It also did not allow for an overall forum listing to be opened.
Yes, when you finally got to the subcategory you wanted to get to, it displayed in the "regular" fashion. The number of steps to get to the 'regular' diplay, and the lack of being able to get to an overall forum listing are/were frustrating.

The "Forums" tab / dropdown in the header bar (top left) essentially achieves the exact same thing as the 'hamburger', except you can click on the forum group (Bike Forums, Racer's Forum, The lounge, etc) to get to the 'regular' display of all the other contained subforums straight away (couldn't get an overall fourm listing though). I found it much easier less cumbersome and faster to use that tab menu to navigate between subforums vs. the hamburger.
OK, I see what you're saying. You want to be able to click on the CATEGORIES, as well as specific forums. I believe I can arrange that when we roll it back out. "Category" is the technical term in the software for groups of subforums (this subforum for instance is in the "News & Suggestions" category). I will let tech know about that.

Redd.it is the be-all, end-all forum site. I have even suggested in passing in the past to merge all forums IB owns into a single site (don't worry, this will not occur for logistic and revenue issues) to compete with them. Discord is now the pre-eminent discussion site, but for long-term information management, it's very inadequate.

To keep BikeForums relevant, we have to keep up with modern expectations of design. The Trending Homepage as an idea is 15 years old, at least. Younger people, who make up an increasingly large segment of our site visitors, are not going to stick around if the site looks older than they are. They'll go to Redd.it, they'll go to YouTube. Gen Z uses TikTok as a search engine instead of Google. Then we won't make any money and we'll shut the site down. I've seen it happen during my time at IB. It's easy to say, "We have a more robust discussion forum that can easily give deeper answers on a subject". Which is true, but doesn't do any good when people don't stick around to read them.

It sucks to say, but each passing year makes you and I increasingly irrelevant.
Old 10-20-22, 11:06 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
I remember the brouhaha surrounding the changes to the blue site logo and all the associated changes that came with it

...including many fights over the background color. Time to pull out the perfect soundtrack for site change bickering

:

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 10-20-22, 11:27 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Given the way I visit BF I haven't come across "Trending" yet..so I have no first-hand experience with it..yet. However the name/function suggests that threads with lots of responses and a high frequency of responses will float to the top of Trending. Hmm..what threads typically/often have a high frequency of responses and high number of responses..?

Sticky threads and long term informative threads come to mind(show us your vintage mtn bikes or show us your mtn bike drop bar conversions.or love of English three speeds...etc..).

The other obvious threads that might "Trend" would be troll threads and threads where some bitter argument has broken out(near daily occurrences it seems & what drives "engagement" all over the web)...perfect..if this is the case, perhaps new and improved isn't so improved. We'll see I guess.
Old 10-20-22, 11:40 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by fishboat
Given the way I visit BF I haven't come across "Trending" yet..so I have no first-hand experience with it..yet. However the name/function suggests that threads with lots of responses and a high frequency of responses will float to the top of Trending. Hmm..what threads typically/often have a high frequency of responses and high number of responses..?

Sticky threads and long term informative threads come to mind(show us your vintage mtn bikes or show us your mtn bike drop bar conversions.or love of English three speeds...etc..).

The other obvious threads that might "Trend" would be troll threads and threads where some bitter argument has broken out(near daily occurrences it seems & what drives "engagement" all over the web)...perfect..if this is the case, perhaps new and improved isn't so improved. We'll see I guess.
On FlyerTalk, this doesn't occur. There are safeguards in place so long-term, informational threads don't dominate the page
Old 10-20-22, 12:12 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts

On FlyerTalk, this doesn't occur. There are safeguards in place so long-term, informational threads don't dominate the page

I wasn't worried about the stickies and long-term useful threads, I was lamenting the latter type..highlighting troll and argumentative threads. Discord drives 'engagement' all over the web. Highlighting discord wouldn't be an improvement. While I hope the algorithm will not highlight these types of threads as "Trending", having done some coding in my day, I'm not sure (off the top of my head) how an algorithm would discern between interesting popular topics and threads that get locked up eventually(for obvious reasons).

There's a lovely thread teetering off the rails in Touring right now. If the Trend function were working properly at the moment, would this thread would be highlighted as "Trending" (right up to the point when it's locked)? I would think issues like this were considered prior to implementation as troll and argumentative threads are not at all rare.

..I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just offering some honest feedback..which I'm guessing you expected with the forum changes. There's always feedback, for better or worse..
Old 10-20-22, 12:16 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

I wasn't worried about the stickies and long-term useful threads, I was lamenting the latter type..highlighting troll and argumentative threads. Discord drives 'engagement' all over the web. Highlighting discord wouldn't be an improvement. While I hope the algorithm will not highlight these types of threads as "Trending", having done some coding in my day, I'm not sure (off the top of my head) how an algorithm would discern between interesting popular topics and threads that get locked up eventually(for obvious reasons).

There's a lovely thread teetering off the rails in Touring right now. If the Trend function were working properly at the moment, would this thread would be highlighted as "Trending" (right up to the point when it's locked)? I would think issues like this were considered prior to implementation as troll and argumentative threads are not at all rare.

..I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just offering some honest feedback..which I'm guessing you expected with the forum changes. There's always feedback, for better or worse..
No problem at all. It's a valid question. I unfortunately cannot give you a definitive, general answer right now. If you're talking about the Cantilever Brakes thread, I do think it would appear in trending. that's a good point that you bring up and I'll see what we can do, although it may come down to moderation.
Old 10-20-22, 12:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I see that the landing page https://www.bikeforums.net is now back to the original format, albeit temporarily. Would it be possible to assign that page another stable URL like https://www.bikeforums.net/sitemap-landing-page so that it can be preserved as an alternative, non-default option that users could book-mark, when the new format is again implemented?

The advantage of the original format is that it serves as a convenient site-map and brief overview of the content of all of the sub-forums.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-20-22, 12:34 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Also not a fan of the 'new' trending main page. Glad they reverted back until a toggle to turn that off can be added..
Old 10-20-22, 12:59 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I see that the landing page https://www.bikeforums.net is now back to the original format, albeit temporarily. Would it be possible to assign that page another stable URL like https://www.bikeforums.net/sitemap-landing-page so that it can be preserved as an alternative, non-default option that users could book-mark, when the new format is again implemented?

The advantage of the original format is that it serves as a convenient site-map and brief overview of the content of all of the sub-forums.
That unfortunately causes some issues with Google crawling and SEO, if I remember correctly (might be some other technical issue with it). We will be granting users the ability to switch to the original site layout whenever they are logged in, however.
Likes For IBJoel: