Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Canyon Bikes

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Canyon Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 04:09 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Canyon Bikes

Looking at Canyon for a hybrid - their business model is unique I think , delivered in a box partially assembled leaving it to the buyer or a third party , i.e Velofix for assembly - just wondering if anyone has experience with assembling one of their bikes and could give some feedback on how the process went - here's the bike for my wife that caught my eye :Roadlite 7 | CANYON US.
Old 09-01-22, 04:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Many here have. It is very straightforward if you can turn a hex wrench.
Old 09-01-22, 04:21 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
I went with Canyon this year. I was exceptionally careful with the assembly and it took about 2 hours.
More importantly, when I had questions (around seat post torque) the reply was very fast and when I had an actual issue (di2 battery bracket in the main tube failed) their response was excellent. They would have paid for the replacement work but I wanted to do it.

I see why you like that bike.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 09-01-22 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 04:36 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
There are several videos on their site that can give you an idea of what's involved. I just put together my Endurace about a month ago and it was very straightforward. I am familiar with bike building so there weren't really any surprises. One note, on my bike the front derailleur was way out of alignment. I was able to line it back up. If you're not confident about your skills you could build it up as far as you could and take it to you LBS for a once over. Since they're not that difficult to assemble I would guess an LBS would do it for you for $75(?). CAnyon offers Velofix (or something like that) but I'm not sure what they charge for assembly.
Old 09-02-22, 04:11 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Looking at Canyon for a hybrid - their business model is unique I think , delivered in a box partially assembled leaving it to the buyer or a third party , i.e Velofix for assembly - just wondering if anyone has experience with assembling one of their bikes and could give some feedback on how the process went - here's the bike for my wife that caught my eye :Roadlite 7 | CANYON US.

Here's the link to my thread on my two Roadlite 9 LTDs purchased back in 19. Very easy to build, great bikes for the $$. Would buy another if/when they offer the 9 LTD here in the states. https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...roadlites.html
Old 09-02-22, 08:27 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Canyon makes great bikes and at a very good price. My issue is not really with them but with the attitude LBS's have towards them. Most LBS will offer better service and even do some things for free as long as you've purchased the bike from them. If you roll in with a Canyon they are probably going to nickel and dime you for and repairs, tuneups etc..

Now if you are mechanically inclined and can do most everything yourself then that cuts that aspect down quite a bit but if you are not, then expect to pay for anything and everything when you bring your bike to LBS.

This is just my opinion and all LBS's will probably react to a Canyon differently but I'd say if you are mechanically inclined then buy now. If you are not then it's gonna be a dice roll on how your local LBS is going to react to you rolling in with one.

As a quick example the LBS I shopped at in my previous city had a deal where when you buy a bike from them it came with free basic tune-ups for life. If you can competently do one yourself then not really a benefit to you but if you can't, the cost of tune-ups alone over a few years would add up quickly.

Last edited by raqball; 09-02-22 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 10:06 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Canyon makes great bikes and at a very good price. My issue is not really with them but with the attitude LBS's have towards them. Most LBS will offer better service and even do some things for free as long as you've purchased the bike from them. If you roll in with a Canyon they are probably going to nickel and dime you for and repairs, tuneups etc..

Now if you are mechanically inclined and can do most everything yourself then that cuts that aspect down quite a bit but if you are not, then expect to pay for anything and everything when you bring your bike to LBS.

That's the only problem I see with getting a Canyon , i.e. follow-up maintenance and trouble shooting & can understand why the local LBS would not entirely welcome a Canyon - and around here in New England the local mobile shops have crazy expensive rates .
Old 09-27-22, 12:23 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 244 Posts
I'm skilled enough to tackle the maintenance and troubleshooting but can see that as a definite downside of their business model. I do like their bike offerings and the Roadlite is quite sharp. Looks like I'm in good company when it comes to this thought.
Old 10-26-22, 02:52 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 244 Posts
Add in they have a sale going on right now. The Roadlite 7 is calling me...