Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Bottom Bracket for Quick 4

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cannondale Bottom Bracket for Quick 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 10:14 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Bikes: '15 Cervelo Di2 - '12 Serotta Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Question: are both the Cannondale Quick 3 and 4 the same 113mm length spindle? asking as future reference for other Quick owners ... PS.. that rusted Walmart special looks like 5 YEARS of rust in the Rain Forest i call home.... WOW! and YIKES! Keep a close eye on your control cables! Buy Stainless Steel cables when needed.
Yeah, I have to her crank arms off to measure it. The bike has been really good aside from the BB and I hope the cable I have is stainless!!!
Old 11-16-22, 10:29 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

In other news, somebody brought a $4500 gravel bike to this island. I hope it holds up. I’m sure it has a better BB than I do. 😂
Old 11-17-22, 05:27 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Nanomite
Ok so mail came pretty quick for a change. I ordered 2 BB's. The Tangeseiki that was suggested and a shimano. Well guess what was in it that failed...... the tangeseiki lost its bearing cover somehow. A really strange failure in my opinion. I installed the shimano to see use as a comparison. All good and I really appreciate all the help.

Meh. A little water, a little salt, repetitive movement, and steel - what could possibly go wrong?

I have to wonder if that wasn't a manufacturing defect that was hidden by the BB's removable cap. My guess would be the seal wasn't there from day one.

Tange Seiki has an excellent reputation, but everybody has one slip through QC that shouldn't on occasion. And if the seal was missing, I also have to wonder why that wasn't caught when the BB was first installed.
Old 11-17-22, 07:35 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
In other news, somebody brought a $4500 gravel bike to this island. I hope it holds up. I’m sure it has a better BB than I do. 😂
Holy Schmidt! I sure wouldn't bring an expensive bike like that to a salty, rainy area like that. That's like bringing an expensive stereo into a college dorm room. Though maybe their other bike is over $10,000.
Old 11-17-22, 06:09 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Originally Posted by Lombard
Holy Schmidt! I sure wouldn't bring an expensive bike like that to a salty, rainy area like that. That's like bringing an expensive stereo into a college dorm room. Though maybe their other bike is over $10,000.
I think the deal here is to have a nice enough bike so it's mostly stainless but perhaps not too nice. The bike of choice here is Sun or Priority bikes.... all with ape hanger handle bars. To me they are terribly uncomfortable.
Likes For Nanomite:
Old 11-18-22, 12:16 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Question: are both the Cannondale Quick 3 and 4 the same 113mm length spindle?
Both bikes appear to have the same frame (and thus presumably the same or similar chain lines) but one has a 2x crank and the other has a 1x crank,
Old 11-18-22, 12:44 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The bike of choice here is Sun or Priority bikes.... all with ape hanger handle bars. To me they are terribly uncomfortable.
An extension from the steerer (which may snap off and bean the rider) is customary, but brakes are optional?

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 11-18-22 at 12:48 AM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-18-22, 05:02 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Both bikes appear to have the same frame (and thus presumably the same or similar chain lines) but one has a 2x crank and the other has a 1x crank,
um... yah.. that was previously revealed. ;-)

Nanomite: As to that fancy CF gravel bike, pictured above, having superior parts... don't count on it. I've seen paint falling off super expensive Hubs after a year of normal use, one of them needing both SWISS bearings replaced too....... Snapped chains that cost twice as much as others that Didn't Break under the same rider... "All Natural Latex" inner tube$ that couldn't finish a 20 mile ride because the stem ripped loose... Brand new name brand tires that have serious lumps... $35 Bar tape that was missing the "sticky" on one roll but not the other.... and HUNDREDS of bearings with NEXT to No Grease from the factory.... etc.

Last edited by maddog34; 11-18-22 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-18-22, 06:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

um... yah.. that was previously revealed. ;-)
Yes, by me. I was implying that it is unlikely that the Quick 3 and 4 would have the same JIS square tapered BB spindle length. But I am not 100% sure.
Old 11-18-22, 11:14 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Here's a pic of my bike. I started riding road bikes back in 2007 and I think around 2009, I bought CAAD 9 for my now ex-wife. She just didn't like cycling but OMG that was a nice bike. Too small for me but I knew that was a good bike. My current wife can ride me under the table and climb hills like you wouldn't believe. That's what she misses out here but she will go home soon and get all that in back in Austin. These have been good bikes so far and that's why I bought that Cannondale's to begin with. Only rust spots are on fender and rack hardware. The Quick 4 does have a steel fork and did buy a carbon replacement but just haven't installed it yet. My bike does have the Zoom spring seat post and the Redshift stem for crappy roads. Wish I could put 50mm tires on it but the fenders wouldn't work.
Likes For Nanomite:
Old 11-19-22, 07:15 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
An extension from the steerer (which may snap off and bean the rider) is customary, but brakes are optional?
Coaster brakes