Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

'I just can't stop': Cyclist dies after confessing he was addicted to riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

'I just can't stop': Cyclist dies after confessing he was addicted to riding

Old 12-07-22, 03:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10393 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Nothing that a coffee colon cleanse and a tin foil hat wouldn’t have prevented. Gallos humor, sorry, not sorry.

First hand experience? Perhaps. Perhaps not.
Gallos humor? What's so funny about chickens?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-07-22, 03:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts

...I knew this thread would take off, if I just gave it enough time.
Old 12-07-22, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm reminded of Jim Fixx, who wrote The Complete Book of Running -- and then dropped dead at age 52 on his daily run. Standup comics had a field day with that, but his autopsy and history suggested that he would've died even younger if not for the running. (Congenital heart problems and previously unhealthy lifestyle.)
He also outlived his father by a few years at least, which he might not have done without the running. But he had made a poor choice of ancestry.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-07-22, 03:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

"We just can't stop": Cyclists confess addiction to posting

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-07-22, 03:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

See all the electrical equipment they're being exposed to?
Everyone in that GIF is dead. Think it's just a coincidence?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-07-22, 03:47 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
But he had made a poor choice of ancestry.
Can relate... 😐
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-07-22, 04:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Gallos humor? What's so funny about roosters?
Fify
Old 12-07-22, 04:31 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You cannot be too fit. Too fat?

Results

During follow-up (median 10.2 years, 7,803,861 person-years of observation), 174,807 subjects died, averaging 22.4 events per 1,000 person-years. The adjusted association of CRF and mortality risk was inverse and graded across the age spectrum, sex, and race. The lowest mortality risk was observed at approximately 14.0 METs for men (HR: 0.24; 95% CI: 0.23-0.25) and women (HR: 0.23; 95% CI: 0.17-0.29), with no evidence of an increase in risk with extremely high CRF. The risk for least fit individuals (20th percentile) was 4-fold higher (HR: 4.09; 95% CI: 3.90-4.20) compared with extremely fit individuals.
​​​​​​​https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacc.2022.05.031
Old 12-07-22, 04:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Fify
Serves me right for assuming Latin genus name and Spanish would align.

Old 12-07-22, 06:39 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You cannot be too fit. Too fat?

Results

During follow-up (median 10.2 years, 7,803,861 person-years of observation), 174,807 subjects died, averaging 22.4 events per 1,000 person-years. The adjusted association of CRF and mortality risk was inverse and graded across the age spectrum, sex, and race. The lowest mortality risk was observed at approximately 14.0 METs for men (HR: 0.24; 95% CI: 0.23-0.25) and women (HR: 0.23; 95% CI: 0.17-0.29), with no evidence of an increase in risk with extremely high CRF. The risk for least fit individuals (20th percentile) was 4-fold higher (HR: 4.09; 95% CI: 3.90-4.20) compared with extremely fit individuals.

https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacc.2022.05.031
That's an awful lot of acronyms! Here's a cheat sheet:
  • CRF - cardiorespiratory fitness
  • MET - metabolic equivalent of task (one MET is the energy used while sitting quietly). A measure of fitness.
  • HR - health risk (risk of mortality)
  • 95% CI - ninety-nine percent confidence interval
Take-away in English: Being fit reduces your risk of cardiovascular death, and there's no additional risk from being super-fit.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-07-22, 06:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Obviously, if he wasn't going above zone 2, he wasn't doing HIIT any more, and there's no telling from the article when he stopped. It could've been years ago.

There's really no telling what caused his heart problems, especially with the very, very limited information we have available and neither of us being pathologists.

If he was having chest pains associated with any level of exertion, he should have had it checked out, but that's a lot less attractive as click bit as "his cycling habit killed him".
There's one thing you can say for sure: there is no evidence that exercise—at any level of exertion or volume—causes cardiovascular disease (plugged coronary arteries). If this poor exercise-addicted guy died from plugged coronary arteries, it wasn't from exercising "too much".

He did report chest pains while exercising at high zone 2, which is a classic symptom of a coronary blockage.

Last edited by terrymorse; 12-07-22 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-07-22, 06:54 PM
GhostRider62

The key takeaway in the summary, "The risk for least fit individuals (20th percentile) was 4-fold higher (HR: 4.09; 95% CI: 3.90-4.20) compared with extremely fit individuals." Or the conclusion statement, "No increased risk was observed with extreme fitness. Being unfit carried a greater risk than any of the cardiac risk factors examined." was also pretty good.

There have been other studies showing retention of VO2 max as well as possible in old age is inversely correlated with mortality and is the biggest factor. Training volume is the best way to increase and also to maintain VO2 max. None of the four Cardiologists that I have been evaluated by had any objection to my training volume and it was more than 2,000km per month at the time. They were all high fiving me and telling me not to stop. Listen to your Docs. I listen to mine. 2000km in a month? That is a modest amount on a long distance tour.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
  • MET - metabolic equivalent of task (one MET is the energy used while sitting quietly). A measure of fitness.
Take-away in English: Being fit reduces your risk of cardiovascular death, and there's no additional risk from being super-fit.

Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-07-22, 08:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Gallos humor? What's so funny about chickens?
Earnest and Julio to be precise.

Old 12-07-22, 09:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rsbob
Earnest and Julio to be precise.
"Thank you for your support"

Old 12-08-22, 08:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The key takeaway in the summary, "The risk for least fit individuals (20th percentile) was 4-fold higher (HR: 4.09; 95% CI: 3.90-4.20) compared with extremely fit individuals." Or the conclusion statement, "No increased risk was observed with extreme fitness. Being unfit carried a greater risk than any of the cardiac risk factors examined." was also pretty good.

There have been other studies showing retention of VO2 max as well as possible in old age is inversely correlated with mortality and is the biggest factor. Training volume is the best way to increase and also to maintain VO2 max. None of the four Cardiologists that I have been evaluated by had any objection to my training volume and it was more than 2,000km per month at the time. They were all high fiving me and telling me not to stop. Listen to your Docs. I listen to mine. 2000km in a month? That is a modest amount on a long distance tour.
I want to be very clear that I don't think either of you are doing this, but there is a hazard here when people apply the above generalized statistical reasoning to themselves---they may conclude that they don't need to worry about actual symptoms of impending crises because they are low risk due to being "super fit". .
I hate to speculate on a particular case, but it sure sounds like the guy discussed in the OP didn't tell his doctor about his chest pains because he just assumed he was too fit for a heart attack to occur.

I absolutely agree with Ghostrider that one should listen to the individualized advice given to you by a doctor, but the advice of the doctor is only going to be as good as the quality of information she has to work from.

BTW, when I did have a blood clot induced heart attack, I was told that my extreme fitness may very well have saved my life.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-08-22, 10:32 AM
GhostRider62

Forum members are not stupid.

Every medicine has risk. And benefit.

Metformin for metabolically disadvantaged has nowhere near the benefit to the entire population as exercise and reasonable diet would have been.

If a member has a medical condition and their Doc places restrictions, of course follow them. OTOH, if they like going on 4-5 hour hikes everyday is good, tee it up and let it fly. Want to ride your bike cross country over 4 month? I doubt any single thing would improve the vast majority of fat Americans than a long slow tour.
Old 12-08-22, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Forum members are not stupid.

Every medicine has risk. And benefit.

Metformin for metabolically disadvantaged has nowhere near the benefit to the entire population as exercise and reasonable diet would have been.

If a member has a medical condition and their Doc places restrictions, of course follow them. OTOH, if they like going on 4-5 hour hikes everyday is good, tee it up and let it fly. Want to ride your bike cross country over 4 month? I doubt any single thing would improve the vast majority of fat Americans than a long slow tour.

Who said anything about people being stupid? I don't think people have to be stupid to rationalize away an existential threat, just human with all our capacity to want to believe the best. All I said was that people should seek advice if they have what appear to be heart symptoms even if they are super-fit. Just FYI, in the two years post heart attack, I believe I've done about 50 or so solo rides of a 100 miles or greater.

I get that you can't be honest and quote me when you're arguing wth me, but this one baffles me. I was agreeing with you about following doctor's advice, just pointing out that if you omit telling the doctor you're having chest pains, that advice isn't going to be based on sound information.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-08-22, 06:15 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
He also outlived his father by a few years at least, which he might not have done without the running. But he had made a poor choice of ancestry.
Yeah, no matter how healthy you eat or live, it's tough to beat genetics when it comes to some serious health problems.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-09-22, 08:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
His cycling was actually alerting the guy to his heart condition. His only mistake was ignoring the symptoms.
Likes For PeteHski: