Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specialized Street Stomper- 1987, 1988, 1999

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 06:40 PM
ecdragon0928

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend gave me an old Specialized Street Stomper, blue color, model year 1987 (?), 1988 (?) or 1989 (?). I like to restore it with as much original parts as possible, does anyone have the specs for this bike or perhaps an old Specialized catalog with the specs. The bike has a triple chainring and a 6-speed cassette. Are there any websites that has old Specialized catalogs from the late 1980's? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-26-11, 07:05 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Street Stomper? That's a new one to me. Post pics of that one.

https://www.mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gal...2_itemId=66335
Old 02-26-11, 08:12 PM
ecdragon0928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for your help, the Street Stomper was the city/urban version of the Mtb Stump Jumper. Does anyone know how to post photos on a reply, so I can post a pix of this bike.
Old 04-03-11, 10:44 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ecdragon0928
thanks for your help, the Street Stomper was the city/urban version of the Mtb Stump Jumper. Does anyone know how to post photos on a reply, so I can post a pix of this bike.
Sign-up/register at tinypic.com
https://tinypic.com/

After creating an account, create an album, upload your photo (s). copy the link "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" and include the link in your next posting...

JR
Novara X-R
Cannondale R600
Schwinn World Traveler Single Speed
Trek 800 Alpine
Giant MTX 225

Back Burner Projects:
Specialized Street Stomper
Unknown Takara Road Bicycle
Old 04-03-11, 10:58 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They're pretty nice! Stock is a 6-speed Light Action SIS drivetrain with Sugino triple crank. The difference between this frame and the Stumpjumper was the steel: The StreetStomper is not butted. Post a picture of yours so we can compare. Here's mine:

As bought for $50. Completely stock and with very little use:

After adding On One Mary Bars:

After conversion:

Last edited by YoKev; 04-03-11 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-03-11, 11:36 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
great looking Street Stomper. looks like you got it outfitted for a 'round the world trek.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-03-11, 11:42 AM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
great looking Street Stomper. looks like you got it outfitted for a 'round the world trek.
Thank you! I am really impressed by the ride quality, and I think the Schwalbe Marathons are the icing on the cake. As pictured without my panniers, it weighs 32ish pounds. I'll drop some weight when I upgrade to an alloy post, alloy chainrings, and an alloy cartridge bottom bracket.
Old 04-05-11, 07:30 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
YoKev,

Nice eye candy for a Street Stomper, perusing your photo's the saddle, is that a Brooks or a Brooks Look Alike?

JR
Novara X-R
Cannondale R600
Trek 800 Alpine
Giant MTX 225

Back Burner Projects:
Unknown Takara Road Bicycle <--Might be from Oklahoma?
Old 04-05-11, 08:04 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's a B17.

Post a picture of your 'stomper!
Old 04-12-11, 10:23 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
YoKev, it is going to take a bit of moving parts around to be able to find some wheels and tires to move it about for a photo... Remember this is a back burner project...

JR
Novara X-R
Cannondale R600
Trek 800 Alpine
Giant MTX 225

Back Burner Projects:
Unknown Takara Road Bicycle <--Might be from Oklahoma?
Old 04-29-11, 09:46 PM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice conversion. I've been thinking to do something like this with one of my old Diamond Backs.

Is the Midge bar working out well for you? I've been wanting to try the Midge since I first saw it (seemed nicer than the WTB dirt drops, which I would also like to try).
I honestly wish someone would make drop bar bar ends with the same angle. That way I could try the riding position without changing anything beyond the grips, I could keep my mtb shifters if I want (although I do like bar-end shifters), I could change the bar width to whatever I want, and if I used them for my electric bike I wouldn't have to figure out any strange mounting solution for the throttle.
Old 04-29-11, 09:55 PM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice conversion. I've been thinking to do something like this with one of my old Diamond Backs.

Is the Midge bar working out well for you? I've been wanting to try the Midge since I first saw it (seemed nicer than the WTB dirt drops, which I would also like to try).
I honestly wish someone would make drop bar bar ends with the same angle. That way I could try the riding position without changing anything beyond the grips, I could keep my mtb shifters if I want (although I do like bar-end shifters), I could change the bar width to whatever I want, and if I used them for my electric bike I wouldn't have to figure out any strange mounting solution for the throttle.
Old 07-10-12, 10:54 AM
kaverorzi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is Mine:

Can anyone recommend a rear rack for this bike?
Did anyone confirm the year of this model?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
streetstomper.jpg (100.1 KB, 1263 views)
Old 01-27-13, 12:26 PM
jdefran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Adding my Street Stomper to this old thread... Would love to find out the year. Wish I could source some replacement decals as mine will need a paint (upon being proven road worthy).

YoKev, do you still have yours? Any ride feedback you can provide? I'm doing a similar build with dirt drops and barends and will serve as a backup commuter..unless, of course, it rides better than my current rig.

Album: https://s1081.beta.photobucket.com/us...mper/Pre-build
Old 01-27-13, 12:38 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yep, still have it, just as it's pictured above mostly. I've upgraded the rear wheel to an XT to match the front, and the crank has been switched to an XT as well. I need to finish tweaking it, but It'll be back on the road this spring. It's currently in hibernation, waiting for the warm weather.

Riding it is great! I have no issues or negatives to report. I really like my setup.
Old 09-23-13, 07:04 PM
Annan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchased mine new in 1988, great city cruiser.

Originally Posted by jdefran
Adding my Street Stomper to this old thread... Would love to find out the year.
Hi! I am an original owner of this exact bike so I can tell you for sure that mine was purchased in the summer of 1988. These Specialized bikes were a new concept at the time: FUN! very stable with fat tires for adventure on dirt and gravel roads at a price that was more affordable than the original custom mountain bikes.

I was visiting my sister while she was pregnant with her oldest son (hence the exact date!) and she was still riding a road bike at the time. She fell in love so I sold her mine and purchased an identical one ($350ish) when I got home.

It turned out to be the perfect urban cruiser for 25+ years although it got a little weird after we ended up living in the same city 10 years later, still riding identical blue bikes. She finally purchased a new Trek bike last summer but kept her Streetstomper to lend to visiting friends.

It's a great cruiser for our extensive urban trail system and I've never had a reason to replace it. Now it's vintage?

I'm refurbishing mine this fall (new shifters, derailleur, gears and brakes) and found this site while poking around for ideas. I'll post a pic when I get it finished.
I'll keep the original parts, which are still in good shape. Contact me if you're interested.

Just came across this article in Money Magazine from 1987 describing this bike:

ALL-TERRAIN BIKES: If sitting upright is important for your comfort, consider this category. All-terrain bikes, also known as mountain bikes or city bikes, are the fastest-growing type and currently claim 35% of the market, largely because they are versatile, durable and fun to ride. They can be raced in off-road competitions, loaded with bags for long tours or used simply to get around town. Their extra-wide knobby tires and higher bottom bracket -- the juncture of tubes at the pedals -- make for easy riding over rough territory, giving extra protection against bumpy trails as well as potholed streets. The upright position, plus brakes and gear shifters on the traditionally shaped handlebars, are comforting reminders of childhood bicycling for many purchasers. ''It's the yuppie bike,'' says Edward Schwinn, president of Schwinn bicycles. Happily, as ATBs have turned into hit sellers in recent years, attracting more makers, prices have plunged. You can buy roughly the same mid- range quality ATB for $300 now that would have cost $700 only four years ago. For the most part the more reasonably priced choices, such as the Specialized Streetstomper ($325) or the Univega Rover Sport ($330), are general-purpose ATBs meant to be ridden casually on the road as much as off.
Link: https://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...3993/index.htm

Last edited by Annan; 09-24-13 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-23-16, 10:36 AM
freeokw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Street Stomper Tire Size

Hello,
I'm new to the Forum and hoping someone can provide some guidance.
I have an '87 Specialized StreetStomper that needs new tires/tubes.
My dilemma is the bike is at my cabin and I don't know what size tires/tubes I need. I believe it may be 26", but not certain.
I'd like to purchase the tires to take up with me in a couple weeks.
Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
Best regards,
Keith
Old 09-23-16, 10:42 AM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by YoKev
Thank you! I am really impressed by the ride quality.
Man, you made all the right moves on that re-build. Nice bike.
Old 09-23-16, 06:39 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by freeokw
Hello,
I'm new to the Forum and hoping someone can provide some guidance.
I have an '87 Specialized StreetStomper that needs new tires/tubes.
My dilemma is the bike is at my cabin and I don't know what size tires/tubes I need. I believe it may be 26", but not certain.
I'd like to purchase the tires to take up with me in a couple weeks.
Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
Best regards,
Keith
Yes they are 26" tires.
Old 09-23-16, 08:42 PM
freeokw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Yes they are 26" tires.
Any idea of width?

Thanks!!
Old 09-23-16, 09:52 PM
Chris Chicago

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
1.75 will fit for sure. I'd guess you could go as wide as 2in confidently but if you want wider than that ask somebody to measure.
Old 09-24-16, 08:35 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The rims were Araya 26 x 1.5, so the rim will any wide tire. The question is how wide the frame will allow. I suspect 2.1's would fit but that is a guess on my part. Kind of thinking of what tires were available at that time. As the last poster said, 1.95's would also be a good bet. If I was riding on the road the 1.95's would be fine.
Old 09-01-17, 11:23 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
Bringing up this old thread. Picked this up for $50 bucks and it is almost in perfect shape, just needs a good clean. So the stem says it is 22.2 x 26.2. Probably going to replace it and use my my NITTO and Albatross bars. Does anyone know what year it is?

Last edited by jamesj; 10-04-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 10:39 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
Stripping it down to the frame so I can re-pack the bearings. Wanted to see if my 7 speed wheelset would fit with 2.1 tires, they fit with room to spare. Didn't even have to really spread the rear triangle. I'm trying to decide if I should spray framesaver in the tubes. Going to start stripping my bent Fuji frameset and put the mountain LX components on this . Only thing I'm going to pick up is a cable hanger guide for the front brake, and brake and shifter cables. Not sure what color housing to get, yellow to match the yellow fill of the words or a pink to match the stroke.

Old 09-03-17, 05:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Good looking job and good looking bike. Nice score at $50. I like those tires, they look pretty rad on this bike. This will make a great commuter and utility bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.